- - - - -

Official "Donate Games to the Troops in Iraq" Thread

#121 Eh? What?   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   158 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:53 AM

neushane, I mailed a package your way this morning (Priority Mail from Atlanta) with a dozen PS2 games, a few Xbox games (I checked to make sure they're backwards compatible) and one Gamecube game for good measure.

#122 neushane   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

neushane

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:58 AM

Can we send NES, SNES, Gameboy and N64 games?

You can send out GB games but I dont think anyone has a NES, SNES or N64. We have some emulators on our shared drive that everyone uses :-$

DesertEagleXIX and Wombat, I can't see you articles because the sites are blocked out here. We can never have anything fun! I appreciate the word of mouth. I just wont be able to thank anyone outside of CAG. I will think of some way though.

Guess ill make it into 2 or 3 seperate packages as i think it'll be cheaper that way anyways. Im all about what ever is easiest.

It will actually be cheaper to send your package all in one. Especially if you have to pay more than $8.95 because that is the maximum cost for flat rate and the box will be free 8-)

#123 Izzard Lizard   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   7 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Izzard Lizard

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

Just glad to be able to help out. :D

Thanks for the opportunity to do so! I wouldn't have thought to send games without this thread. Its funny how we can miss the obvious so easily.

#124 Quintessence   The Darkness Consumes CAGiversary!   1441 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Quintessence

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

I don't currently have many games to give away, but perhaps a good stop by an EBGames/Gamestop could solve that. I don't think I will be going any time soon because of school, but when I do I will pick out some good stuff.

I have a couple copies of the orginal Halo laying around. Not sure if you are interested in that at all.

#125 Gadgetron   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   85 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Gadgetron

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

this is a kick ass idea guys! I will go out at lunch today and pick up a few games.
well done, w00t CAG.

#126 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1765 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

dubbfoolio

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Here you go Neushane:

Monday, February 04, 2008

Be Like Wombat and Support Our Troops, With Games

Posted by Wombat on 02/04 at 01:50 PM
Posted Image This may come as a shock to you but there are no Gamestops or Bestbuys in Iraq. Yet many U.S. Troops stationed there are gamers, just like you and me. That is why I was happy to support this effort started by Cheapassgamer’s and the USMC’s Neushane. You see, he is collecting used games sent in by regular folks like us and distributing them to his fellow troops in Iraq. Want to know where to send your old games? Here is the address:
SK1 Shane Neuhaus
30 NCR DET 1
FPO AP 09381-1702
Trust me this is worth a lot more than any Trade-in credit at your local retailer.

Support Our Troops- With Games!

Posted by DesertEagle at 2/4/2008 11:24 AM and is filed under news Posted Image
Posted Image
For many of our servicemen and women, being stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan can be a lonely experience. Everyone misses a wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, child, or parent back in the United States. As many Tech-Gaming readers can attest, sometimes burying yourself into a video game can make time pass a little quicker. Sadly, for many of our servicemen, games are relativity scare; if games can be found overseas, their cost is usually prohibitive. Cheapassgamer Shane Neuhaus, a Navy Seabee, has started a small program to remedy this situation. He has created a small distribution network where the troops are receiving everything from original Playstation games to the latest Xbox 360 releases. Even Gamestop got into the giving, donating a Rock Band bundle recently. In return, Neuhaus sends a picture of your games in the hands of a smiling serviceman. All donated games are labeled with your name for all future players to see. If you would like to be a part of this program, please contact Tech-Gaming, or e-mail Neuhaus directly. With many older titles receiving a paltry fifty cents to a few dollars when traded in, couldn’t you spare a few games to those that would extremely appreciative?
Posted Image

#127 Zenithian Legend   Banned Banned   13122 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Zenithian Legend

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Is PS2 too out-dated? Are ninja turtles and x-men too childish? :lol: I've got a couple sealed games that I could ship out.

I don't support this war at all, but I support you soldiers with every fiber of my being.

#128 GT   CAG Commando CAGiversary!   686 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Is this tax deductible?

#129 Sku Rhim   CAG-o-licious CAGiversary!   162 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Sku Rhim

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Is this tax deductible?

Give me a Fuck - ing break. :roll:

neushane, this is an awesome idea and I'm excited to participate. I'll email you with some titles that I'll be mailing your way.

Should we up the ante here? How about a drive to donate some consoles/extra controllers/headsets as well? What would be useful?

#130 nogglefish   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

nogglefish

Posted 05 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

I'll be sending a box out Saturday.

#131 StarKnightX   will hook you up CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

StarKnightX

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Just saw this thread on the front page of CAG. Gonna check out some of the local GSs and Blockbusters and see what I can get and try to send it out later in the week.

#132 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2310 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

neushane, i've got $250 to spend on ya'll. anything in particular you want? controllers? mass effect? gears of war? halo3? resistence? ratchet and clank? super mario galaxy? super smash bros brawl (next month)? or a hell of a lot of xbox, ps2, and gc games?

#133 GT   CAG Commando CAGiversary!   686 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

Give me a Fuck - ing break. :roll:

neushane, this is an awesome idea and I'm excited to participate. I'll email you with some titles that I'll be mailing your way.

Should we up the ante here? How about a drive to donate some consoles/extra controllers/headsets as well? What would be useful?

What, that's not a legit CAG question?

One break, coming up~!

#134 bimbim18   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

bimbim18

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

just a recommendation, I know when we left out of there we left behind a lotta stuff that was donated to us (mags, a few games, dvds etc) with one of the units coming in (not with the unit that replaced us because they JUST got there and were saying aloud how they didnt wanna be there, it sux, and were planning on delaying the changeover as long as possible....... weak)

Just encourage those leaving to donate to those who are staying.

But we saw it this way, the stuff we did get would still be serving it's purpose (morale on the front lines) and we wouldnt appreciate it as much when we got home as we did as much as we did out there. Our company even started a 'Borrow bin' for DVDs books and mags.

just a suggestion, and thanks for taking on such a project. I know it means a lot of headache but it means a lot of relief to those away from home.

#135 bimbim18   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

bimbim18

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:51 PM

neushane, i've got $250 to spend on ya'll. anything in particular you want? controllers? mass effect? gears of war? halo3? resistence? ratchet and clank? super mario galaxy? super smash bros brawl (next month)? or a hell of a lot of xbox, ps2, and gc games?

!!!!!!! wow where were you when I was playing in the sandbox!!! props to you!!

#136 bimbim18   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   12 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

bimbim18

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Is this tax deductible?

actually from my understanding it is, hard to prove since you don't get a reciept but keep a list of what you sent and estimated value when you turn in your taxes. Just like when you donate to good will etc, theres a block for donations and they rarely ask for proof but if so keep the shipping reciept and list on fie with your taxes.

#137 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1765 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

dubbfoolio

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

What, that's not a legit CAG question?

One break, coming up~!

This isn't a bad question for a cheapassgamer, but too answer it: neushane is a generous soldier doing this in his spare time, not an official non-profit organization. I donated to a place called Tiverton House at the UCLA medical center about a year ago and got a receipt for this purpose. I'm a 1040EZ kind of guy, but there are places like hospitals and stuff that will take your games and give you receipts to deduct from your taxable income. Hell there's always Goodwill, but this is a good cause where you know your games land into the hands of deserving and appreciative individuals.

#138 dubbfoolio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1765 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

dubbfoolio

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

actually from my understanding it is, hard to prove since you don't get a reciept but keep a list of what you sent and estimated value when you turn in your taxes. Just like when you donate to good will etc, theres a block for donations and they rarely ask for proof but if so keep the shipping reciept and list on fie with your taxes.

it has to be to an approved tax exempt nonprofit. I used to work for a nonprofit environmental group and if someone specified that they wanted a tax deductable donation the donation could only be used for specific things. neushane would have to turn this into an approved non profit organization for him to be able to give tax deductable receipts. you might be able to regard it as a gift maybe? maybe he'll be generous enough to do this when he returns home safely, but hopefully this war will be finished soon!

On a related note don't forget to rock the vote today where applicable CAGs ;)

#139 Visc   That Weird Guy CAGiversary!   2555 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

I know you said current gen games, but tell me this - do you have a dreamcast over there?

Also, could you use some strategy guides?

#140 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2310 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

I know you said current gen games, but tell me this - do you have a dreamcast over there?

Also, could you use some strategy guides?

i'm wondering if they need consoles?

#141 gh0ul   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   6 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

good stuff, man. hopefully i'll see some of those games when i go there in a couple of months. long live cag.

and yes its true, iraq get VERY cold.

#142 HughMBeing   Banned Banned   226 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

HughMBeing

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Waa-hey! I was in Habbaniyah '05-'06. The best thing about TQ was your dining facilities. And yes, Iraq is quite cold. Keep up the good work!

To my surprise, I had a package addresses to me from Wombat himself. Opened it up to find the following for our troops:

Saints Row :360:
Virtua Tennis 3 (New & Sealed) :360:
Splinter Cell: Double Agent:360:

http://www.imagehost...001067.JPG.html

Thank you for the support and I will try to get the new owners to do the same. I am sure they will like the games that you were kind enough to share. I attached a pic of what we do with expired ordinance around here...make them decorations! :)

#143 kingrottenboy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   9 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

kingrottenboy

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Navy guy in the sandbox? I worked with a few navy guys over there. was army stationed at vbc and everywhere else. as I remember everyone plays Halo over there. the px's usually have an alright game selection. if people want to do you a favor I am sure they will have thier gf make them a cake and douse it with jack daniels. my favoirte kind of present.

#144 pinebarrens   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   560 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

pinebarrens

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

I sent 18 PS2 games to you via priority mail about a week ago. The guy at the PO said that it takes 1-1.5 weeks to get to Iraq. How about posting some pics when you get them? Thanks!

#145 xGunCrazyx  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

this is a great idea
i think i'll keep this in mind
i wouldn't mind sending out some of the games i no longer play anymore

#146 craab   Double Ace in a day... CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:07 AM

Shipping out to you in the morning:

Gran Turismo 4
GodHand
Rocky
Splinter Cell
SOCOM 2
Full Spectrum Warrior
Madden 05
Gundam Zeonic Front
Namco Museum

Thanks for serving!

#147 wafflesomd   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

wafflesomd

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

Well here's the list of games I'm sending out tommorow after school.

Project Gotham Racing
Ninja Gaiden (sorry)
Chronicles of Riddick :Escape from Butcher Bay
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime 2
NCAA Football 2005

Can you take consoles? I am willing to throw in my gamecube that I don't play anymore.

#148 dark_jc   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   1 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:28 AM

I registerd for these forums just to reply to this thread. I found this site off www.digg.com (sorry CAG lol).

I think this is a really cool idea. I had a friend that just left for BT about a week or so ago. Thank you for all your hard work over in Iraq, and we hope you all can come back soon. I will be sending some games out your way once i re-locate all mine. I had a ton of xbox games that I was going to get rid of, but I just got through moving, and they are still in boxes somewhere. Once I find them, I really want to send them out to all you guys out there (and women too of course). This is a really good idea to keep the morale of the troops up. I will do my best to spread the word around here. I live in Florida, and will be spreading the word, hopefully alot of people will join in the campaign.

Again, thank you for your service, and awesome idea.

-Josh

#149 HotShotX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3532 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:34 AM

I registerd for these forums just to reply to this thread. I found this site off www.digg.com (sorry CAG lol).

Awesome, 1000+ Diggs and counting, and CheapyD posted the thread to the front page.

And I noticed only neushane and Wombat got all the credit :-# Shenanigans, sir, Shenanigans.

~HotShotX

#150 dpadilla4   Banned Banned   732 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

dpadilla4

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:42 AM

nice to see this I'm heading to the sandbox in a few months thanks for the support CAG.