- - - - -

All Transworld stores - Bonus 45% trade in credit is back! ENDS 7/19

#61 Strider Turbulence   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   5975 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

My problems with FYE far outweigh even the biggest problems I've ever had at Gamestop.

FYE's employees are some of the ruder, more inept retail employees I've ever met. They'll say anything to a customer. I was actually called poor once by a register rat because I didn't want a DVD that rang up for like $20 more and only wanted it because of the sale.

If they don't know about a promotion, it doesn't exist. I see what looks like a set of encyclopedias in the form of clipboards filled with various information and not once have I ever seen anyone actually READ what's on them. If an employee happens to know about a promotion but not the details, they're made up on the fly.

I've been lied to about inventory just so that they wouldn't have to honor a deal which is ILLEGAL.

Their sister website, wherehouse.com provides the in-store merchandise at cheaper prices but without any way of using their discount card. Their discount card is essentially paying $25 to get rid of their ridiculous in-store markups.

Then there's the trade-ins. There's all this talk about how Gamestop will take in a product in any condition. I see that as a boon as a trader and as a buyer. When you limit trade-in quality like FYE does, you not only can't use them as a trade-in source unless your games are practically sealed, but you also have a very limited supply. If a person trades in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and it's in less than good condition, it's obvious why. They're not that bright in terms of gaming either way. That's the benefit of shopping Gamestop over FYE. Sure it's better to have a game in great condition, but I'd rather have the game be available and usually cheaper than hoping to stumble on a mint copy of a game for possibly more money. To me, that's the antithesis of being cheap.

They're just a terrible company. If that means I have one less place to shop, so be it. They don't even show up on gaming franchises' radars so it's not like having them around benefits the gamer in the spirit of competition. If they shut down, it would be one less place for a customer to get hosed and mistreated. Go to Circuit City if you need that sort of fix.

QFT.
I only go into their stores to find occassional good deals on old games and to flip credit (even still, their trade in values aren't nearly as good as they used too be).

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#62 levon15   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   69 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

Anyone aware of any gems to flip in this deal?

Would love to get in on some serious store credit to bring down a PS3 price.

#63 phear3d   NorAm = Fraud CAGiversary!   3971 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

so far the 2k8 sports titles are the only ones I could find that flips pretty good. are there any deals on those games? like the maddens and the ncaa football 08 titles

#64 Strider Turbulence   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   5975 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Strider Turbulence

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Sears has Midway Arcade Treasures on psp for $2.97 (ymmv clearance price) and that trades in for $7.

I tried Kameo and Star Trek Legacy (also on clearance) but those only trade in for $3 and $2.

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#65 superdry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   301 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

superdry

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Too bad no FYE stores in NYC do trade ins anymore.

The one in Astoria is closing down (due to losing their lease...chitchat I had with one of the managers last month), and, thus, they are not taking in any trades. I'll miss that store if it doesn't open up elsewhere in the neighborhood...it was the closet FYE for me to partake in any good deals and the people working there are great (nice and socialable and just overall good people).

There is the one in Jackson Heights that will probably take trades, but last time I tried to do the bag special they wouldn't give me the full 45% bonus. The manager there told me that the bag only allowed me to get a 20% bonus if I took cash for trading in stuff.

The FYE in Manhattan does not sell used stuff, so they don't take any trades. The only other Transworld store I know of in NYC is the Saturday Matinee in Staten Island.

#66 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4581 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

The one in Astoria is closing down (due to losing their lease...chitchat I had with one of the managers last month), and, thus, they are not taking in any trades. I'll miss that store if it doesn't open up elsewhere in the neighborhood...it was the closet FYE for me to partake in any good deals and the people working there are great (nice and socialable and just overall good people).

I used to work at that one, back when it was Coconuts, which should tell you how old I am. Anyway, I never really felt like they had any great deals, and when I worked there, I used to send people to Sound City for CD's quite often. Not a fan of some of the people who work there, though some are ok.

#67 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4581 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:59 PM

Oh, and I stopped by the one in the Stamford Mall, and they were not participating in this.

#68 TheSecretBaldwin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

TheSecretBaldwin

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Just got back from the Burbank CA store and traded in a bunch of DVDs and a few games. $96 in trades and I got a store credit card for $133.00!! Nice... Got my PS3 there last year during this deal after trading in a ton of CDs.

The video games are being liquidated for 30% off all new games and 10% off all new hardware (used games are not discounted). Barely anything left there though...

Don't forget that you can use the store credit gift card on-line if you want something you can't find in the store!

#69 TheSecretBaldwin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

TheSecretBaldwin

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

My problems with FYE far outweigh even the biggest problems I've ever had at Gamestop.

FYE's employees are some of the ruder, more inept retail employees I've ever met. They'll say anything to a customer. I was actually called poor once by a register rat because I didn't want a DVD that rang up for like $20 more and only wanted it because of the sale.

If they don't know about a promotion, it doesn't exist. I see what looks like a set of encyclopedias in the form of clipboards filled with various information and not once have I ever seen anyone actually READ what's on them. If an employee happens to know about a promotion but not the details, they're made up on the fly.

I've been lied to about inventory just so that they wouldn't have to honor a deal which is ILLEGAL.

Their sister website, wherehouse.com provides the in-store merchandise at cheaper prices but without any way of using their discount card. Their discount card is essentially paying $25 to get rid of their ridiculous in-store markups.

Then there's the trade-ins. There's all this talk about how Gamestop will take in a product in any condition. I see that as a boon as a trader and as a buyer. When you limit trade-in quality like FYE does, you not only can't use them as a trade-in source unless your games are practically sealed, but you also have a very limited supply. If a person trades in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and it's in less than good condition, it's obvious why. They're not that bright in terms of gaming either way. That's the benefit of shopping Gamestop over FYE. Sure it's better to have a game in great condition, but I'd rather have the game be available and usually cheaper than hoping to stumble on a mint copy of a game for possibly more money. To me, that's the antithesis of being cheap.

They're just a terrible company. If that means I have one less place to shop, so be it. They don't even show up on gaming franchises' radars so it's not like having them around benefits the gamer in the spirit of competition. If they shut down, it would be one less place for a customer to get hosed and mistreated. Go to Circuit City if you need that sort of fix.

YMMV I guess. My store is awesome and I go there all the time. I've traded stuff there dozens of times and never had a problem. You get more than GameStop 90% of the time, so I don't know what this dude's deal is... bad apple in the FYE tree it seems. Tough luck dude.

#70 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Just got back from the Burbank CA store and traded in a bunch of DVDs and a few games. $96 in trades and I got a store credit card for $133.00!! Nice... Got my PS3 there last year during this deal after trading in a ton of CDs.

The video games are being liquidated for 30% off all new games and 10% off all new hardware (used games are not discounted). Barely anything left there though...

Don't forget that you can use the store credit gift card on-line if you want something you can't find in the store!

Only problem with using them online is their shipping rates suck bad, plus every coupon code I've found online for a discount on shipping or items never work. They have a ton of DVD discount codes, but none ever seem to work for games.

I really wish they had site-to-store like Wally World and other B&M retailers with online presences.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#71 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   6528 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

A cashier can special order ANY dvd/game that shows in their touchscreen systems located in the aisles. All it takes is a $2 or $5 deposit. If you put in an order on Monday, they usually get it in by Friday.

I know its a small chance at finding a worthwhile title, but CD's really are great for flipping. One of my favorite band's 5 song EPs gets $21.75 after 45% bonus. The last 3 copies ive bought on ebay were all $7 shipped. Theres a few more on Amazon, hence the reason i'm not stating the name of the cd/band.

I tried just searching for bands starting with the letter A on secondspin. It would take me a loooong ass time to cross-check all the good stuff with amazon/ebay/half/froogle. I remember last year there was an ABBA or Ace of Base cd that they clearanced for $2 and still paid $19 for. If anyone finds anything, let us know.

538822.png

#72 Bune   ǝʇɐbǝןןɐ CAGiversary!   370 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

but the bag itself states "Quantities are not limited".

and there is a way to track items by customer because I had a gift card canceled because of what I had traded in and the cancellation was about 2 months after the fact.

#73 miktau   Carpal'/Tunnel CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

upc fraud? I really dont care, im just curious why you gc was cancelled.

Posted Image

#74 saldogg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   297 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

picked up 2 bags... lets help each other out with some great flips guys!

#75 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   26999 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

FYE is overpriced. hell i got 200 bucks on a gift card since 2006 i never used since all of the FYE closed down locally only a suncoast left (they dont carry games) and FYE online dont even carry half of th enew games online
WOOOO I STINK

#76 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

I hate my local store, I walk in with a bag of CD's, guy mumbles something about the bag, but seems to confirm 45%, after 5 mins of rejecting half my cd's (Wouldn't accept a CD due to line through barcode, etc), he rings them up without the +45%, I'm like what about the extra %. He's says oh, you didn't have the brown bag, I'll give you one for the next time you come in. WTF, thats no use to me after I've traded you all my cd's in this trade.

So is it true, you only get a brown bag when you buy something from the store. This clerk has f'd me before by claiming the FYE card does not give extra 10% on trade in's. This is the FYE (old Wherehouse) on Beach / Warner in CA
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#77 Tmorg   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   132 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Does anyone know what day they change trade-in values or can it happen at anytime?

#78 miktau   Carpal'/Tunnel CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

Anyone got any good flips. i dont care where they come from ebay or the like.

Posted Image

#79 phear3d   NorAm = Fraud CAGiversary!   3971 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:48 AM

ok. i figured out how much they are willing to give out on games, 4 at a time, instead of searching it 1x1.

heres what you do:

go to http://www.secondspin.com/sell.jsp

on the far right it should say TOP GAME TRADE-INS. it should look similar to this:

WWE Smackdown vs. Ra...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Ben 10: Protector of...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Tony Hawk's Proving ...
PlayStation 2 $10.00
Backyard Football '0...
PlayStation 2

Juiced 2: Hot Import...
Nintendo DS $11.00
Manhunt 2
PlayStation 2 $10.00
Yamaha SuperCross
Nintendo DS $8.00
Manhunt 2
Sony PSP

SingStar Amped [With...
PlayStation 2 $18.00
Naruto: Uzumaki Chro...
PlayStation 2 $12.00
Puzzle de Harvest Mo...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Digimon World: Data ...
PlayStation 2

there you have it. all you do is hit F5 (refresh) and it should give you a list of all the games 4 at a time. so far the trade-ins im seeing are over $7. if we could figure out how this randomly list games that would be great. someone with coding experience perhaps. or we could all hit F5 every second and just copy and paste everything.

#80 phear3d   NorAm = Fraud CAGiversary!   3971 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

Godzilla: Unleashed ...
Nintendo DS $12.75
My Word Coach
Nintendo DS $10.00
The Golden Compass
Sony PSP $10.00
PaRappa the Rapper
Sony PSP $10.00

Nintendo DS $10.00
NBA 08 Featuring Blo...
Sony PSP $10.00
The Sims 2: Castaway
Sony PSP $13.00
Castlevania: The Dra...
Sony PSP $10.00

Silent Hill Origins
Sony PSP $10.00
Petz: Horsez 2
Nintendo DS $10.00
Dancing with the Sta...
PlayStation 2 $21.75
Mario Kart DS
Nintendo DS $9.00

Dragon Ball Z: Budok...
PlayStation 2 $15.00
Hannah Montana: Musi...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Drawn to Life
Nintendo DS $11.00
Ben 10: Protector of...
Sony PSP $10.00

WWE Smackdown vs. Ra...
Sony PSP $8.00
Star Wars: Battlefro...
Sony PSP $13.00
MX vs. ATV: Untamed
PlayStation 2 $16.00
Naruto: Path of the ...
Nintendo DS $10.00

Tiger Woods PGA Tour...
Nintendo DS $11.00
Disney Princess: Mag...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Tiger Woods PGA Tour...
Sony PSP $15.00
Sonic Rivals 2
Sony PSP $13.00

Imagine: Fashion Des...
Nintendo DS $10.00
Warhammer 40,000: Sq...
Sony PSP $10.00
Herbie: Rescue Rally
Nintendo DS $8.00
SOCOM: U.S. Navy Sea...
Sony PSP $14.00

Rock Band
PlayStation 2 $21.75
Petz: Dogz 2
PlayStation 2 $10.00
Tony Hawk's Proving ...
PlayStation 2 $10.00
FIFA Soccer 08
Sony PSP $13.00

Bratz: The Movie
PlayStation 2 $12.00
PaRappa the Rapper
Sony PSP $10.00
Tomb Raider Annivers...
Sony PSP $7.00
NBA 08 Featuring Blo...
Sony PSP $10.00

Juiced 2: Hot Import...
Sony PSP $13.00
Pokémon Diamond
Nintendo DS $12.00
Dragon Quest Monster...
Nintendo DS $14.00
WWE Smackdown vs. Ra...
Nintendo DS $10.00

Manhunt 2
PlayStation 2 $10.00
Barbie as the Island...
Nintendo DS $10.00
FIFA Soccer 08
Sony PSP $13.00
SWAT: Target Liberty
Sony PSP $13.00

Godzilla: Unleashed ...
Nintendo DS $12.75
The History Channel:...
PlayStation 2 $13.00
SingStar Amped
PlayStation 2 $10.00
Midnight Club 3: DUB...
PlayStation 2 $7.00

SELL FOR:
Bratz: Super Babyz
Nintendo DS $10.00
Pokémon Pearl
Nintendo DS $12.00
Final Fantasy Tactic...
Sony PSP $13.00
Drawn to Life
Nintendo DS $11.00

Atari Classics: Evol...
Sony PSP $8.00
Contra 4
Nintendo DS $10.00
NCAA March Madness 0...
PlayStation 2 $12.75
Herbie: Rescue Rally
Nintendo DS $8.00

#81 miktau   Carpal'/Tunnel CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

keep up the good work ill try and spot some deals. I tried searching their entire ep database but didnt find anything over $10 that could be had on ebay for less money.

Posted Image

#82 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

A cashier can special order ANY dvd/game that shows in their touchscreen systems located in the aisles. All it takes is a $2 or $5 deposit. If you put in an order on Monday, they usually get it in by Friday.

I know its a small chance at finding a worthwhile title, but CD's really are great for flipping. One of my favorite band's 5 song EPs gets $21.75 after 45% bonus. The last 3 copies ive bought on ebay were all $7 shipped. Theres a few more on Amazon, hence the reason i'm not stating the name of the cd/band.

I tried just searching for bands starting with the letter A on secondspin. It would take me a loooong ass time to cross-check all the good stuff with amazon/ebay/half/froogle. I remember last year there was an ABBA or Ace of Base cd that they clearanced for $2 and still paid $19 for. If anyone finds anything, let us know.

Try telling that to the people @ my local FYE stores, since I've asked if they could special order me any game or dvd before, but most times they say they can ONLY special order DVDs/CDs. Of course, it doesn't help that I was looking for Futurama and BG: DA 2 for PS2.

Oh and stoned99, I would've told him: "Well then, give me this pack of gum". Buy the gum, take the 45% more bag, dump your cds into it, then say "I'd like to trade these".

Oh and most times they won't take CDs/DVDs you got that're promo ones. I know, I tried having them take the 'documentary' one from Driver 3, for which there was NO listing. They also originally DQ'd my copy of the original SAW, which had paper residue leftover from a GS sticker on the slipcover OVER the UPC.

A little Goo Gone worked wonders on that plastic slipcover and they let me trade it with NO PROBLEMS.

You just have dickheads working at your local store, since they gave me the 45% more bag last year without buying a damn thing.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#83 Nosmo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

First off, I've only ever been asked ONE time(out of innumerable times that I've shopped at my local FYE stores) if I want to get the Backstage Pass. Compare that with Gamestop, whose drones will even ask you if you have anything to trade in, even when you walk in empty handed and push that stupid Edge card out the wazoo. I have to thank you for finding that loophole to get an Edge card for $2 via mail, though if I ever get off my ass and send out a check with the renewal card, I may finally get one.

Second, I flatly told them that I'd never buy any DVDs from them due to the fact that I prefer to buy them on sale. The local clerks had no problems with that. You just have jerks running the registers at your local store(s).

Third, you think it's a GOOD thing that Gamestop takes in games in ANY condition? It's great for the soccer moms with the whiny brats, but bad for those of us who like our games mint/complete. I'll admit it, I'm a condition snob and have made the people @ Gamestop go through 20 copies of a game before I picked ONE to take home. So, for that very reason, I refuse to shop there for good condition games.

Fourth and finally, the copies of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Futurama and various other hard to find games beg to differ than you can 'find them cheaper @ Gamestop'.

For me, FYE is overpriced on cd's and dvd's, but lower than Gamestop in MANY cases(not all)on games. The condition of the games they sell is also usually SUPERIOR to Gamestop in EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY. Admittedly, I've run into a couple games which were missing an instruction manual or had a couple scratches which were more than just surface ones, but at FYE it's the exception not the rule. Can Gamestop say that?

Plus, look at the trade values you get and the piddily 'bonuses' you get. The only really GOOD trade deals GS ever had were the 'trade 3, get $10 extra' deals, since the %'s more deals usually work out in THEIR favor more, since you have to trade in more games to get the better %.

Best option of all is to simply KEEP YOUR GAMES, which negates ANY argument over which store is 'better' for trading stuff into. But hey, you're preferences are your preferences. Mine definitely lean towards FYE being the better chain than GS though.

Oh and GBman, they always told me that the 20% more was ONLY if taking credit locally, so it's a YMMV thing about getting the 20% with cash trades, I suppose.

My experiences at several FYE stores and with their Corporate offices were enough to drive me away from ever buying another product or dealing with this company again. Not only were my transactions in local stores handled with extreme prejudice, except for one manager in Niles, Il - she was exceptional at her job, but upper management was just as ineffective at handling customer relations. My experiences include trading in games, buying new product and following up on shipped product that I never received and took over 4 months to be credited for. I'm sure others may have had positive experiences but I will never support this company again and wanted to share that with this community.

#84 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   6528 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:10 AM

Try telling that to the people @ my local FYE stores, since I've asked if they could special order me any game or dvd before, but most times they say they can ONLY special order DVDs/CDs. Of course, it doesn't help that I was looking for Futurama and BG: DA 2 for PS2.

Like i said, check their touch screen systems. Its a pain for finding multiple versions of movies, but if its a video game or something, if its in there, they should be able to order it.

538822.png

#85 bstan21   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   295 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:27 AM

I hate my local store, I walk in with a bag of CD's, guy mumbles something about the bag, but seems to confirm 45%, after 5 mins of rejecting half my cd's (Wouldn't accept a CD due to line through barcode, etc), he rings them up without the +45%, I'm like what about the extra %. He's says oh, you didn't have the brown bag, I'll give you one for the next time you come in. WTF, thats no use to me after I've traded you all my cd's in this trade.

So is it true, you only get a brown bag when you buy something from the store. This clerk has f'd me before by claiming the FYE card does not give extra 10% on trade in's. This is the FYE (old Wherehouse) on Beach / Warner in CA

Go back there. It says right on the bag that you can bring in your own, it doesn't have to be theirs.

#86 cag1000   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4487 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:07 AM

ok so I'm confused a little....Do you get %45 extra trade in credit on top of what they are already giving now for a particular game trade in, or %45 of the prices of the games that are listed on secondspin.com?

#87 miktau   Carpal'/Tunnel CAGiversary!   960 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

45% from the cash price

Posted Image

#88 mlettich   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   88 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

mlettich

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:33 AM

This would be a neat deal if store credit wasn't a waste because their prices are simply god awful. How they stay in business I'll never know.

#89 barmitzfa3000   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   3 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

barmitzfa3000

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:08 AM

the bag clearly says 20% .
can you elaborate you the additional 25%

#90 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

I wish people would read threads, it's only 5 pages.