- - - - -

Wii Fit - Gen. Discussion & Info - What's your Fit age?

#1 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

Nintendo announced the official MSRP of Wii Fit at $89.99 and the release date of May 21. It will be available 2 days earlier at the NY Nintendo World Store.
Spoiler

Official site

Amazon preorder
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Reggie introduces Wii Fit at 2007 E3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTzwpMyh4Xw

Cheapy D's unboxing video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXYfHAa4V7E

Amazon.com and many Gamestops have sold out of their pre-orders. Best Buy seems to have many available.

Original post:
Spoiler

#2 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

In Japan

#3 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:19 AM

I hope the container ship gets here soon, then

#4 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19868 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:26 AM

Jan 1 is not a typical video game release day. In fact there is no new release today. It is just a placeholder.

#5 MidnightMetal   Long Live Metal Music!!!! CAGiversary!   647 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

MidnightMetal

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

Yeah I thought it was suppose to come out mid Jan.

ign has the US release date for TBA(to be announced) 2008 and the JAP release date for Dec. 1, 2008

gamespot also has a TBA 2008 release date also
no yoga for a while, so try not to gain to much weight before this thing comes out!

#6 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:30 AM

no yoga for a while, so try not to gain to much weight before this thing comes out!

Why do you think I want this game so much? :)

#7 prisonerac   Yes ... DAISY! CAGiversary!   345 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:32 AM

Did they even confirm they were bringing it to the US? I thought it was a japanese release that everyone assumed was coming to the US, but no firm release date can be found.

#8 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:34 AM

Its listed on Amazon.com, and was on Gamestop at one point....I'm pretty sure its coming to US, just would like to know when.

62t had a pretty good reason why it wasn't really Jan 1st.

#9 Ikohn4ever   No Women, No Children CAGiversary!   10804 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Ikohn4ever

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:36 AM

they have to make it capable of handling more weight for a US launch

#10 cdrober   Too many games & too little time. CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

I hope the container ship gets here soon, then

I work for a large container ship company and I guarantee you that any one of them will put Wii fit on there in a hurry if Nintendo wants it loaded....so much extra capacity......

Anyways, I'm also waiting for Wii Fit.....I need to look into getting:

1. My Wii modified to play import games (warranty is up now anyways I think after 1+ year)

2. Wii Fit

3. A way to buy things from the Japanese Virtual Console site....

#11 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

I could actually believe that explanation.

#12 io   ... Super Moderators   24649 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

I have no idea, but I do know that you can preorder it (as well as Mario Kart Wii) at Gamecrazy now. They think they have release dates for both of those, but they are wrong (or just estimates). But in any case, you *can* preorder. I did both just as a bonus for a helpful clerk at my local store. Though I figured it was probably a good idea to preorder Wii Fit there anyway as I'll want to buy it with my credit (and not cash at a regular store). Gamecrazy isn't likely to get too many of them in. The whole thing might be a bit hard to find at the beginning - I kind of figure it will be like Wii Play was the first month or so, though the demand for that was augmented by the controller shortage at the time.

#13 seen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2503 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.

#14 botticus   GHM4Life CAGiversary!   16519 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Last I heard, it was nebulously scheduled for first half of 08. Probably Q2 since Smash is Q1, but more likely it will be whenever Mario Kart is not, since they're both aimed at the casual crowd.

Realistically Q2, since SSBB will keep the Wii sold out through February, I'd imagine.

#15 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1704 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.

Ohh, so it's a video game.

#16 Ryukahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3668 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I thought I saw it listed on EB as coming out at the end of January, but it's not there anymore.

#17 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Strange, as this would be the ideal time for a Wii fit release since American's are now freaking out about dieting and losing those pounds put on during the holidays. Remember, if they make it so that American's perceive it as a way to lose weight while playing video games it will be an instant hit. Combine this will all the Wii sales of the holiday season, the winter season which means less going outdoors for people and you have an instant hit on your hands.

#18 VioletArrows   La Bella Fleche CAGiversary!   1778 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

VioletArrows

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Dunno about you, but it's usually healthier for me if I don't wander around outside where my eyes, throat, and lungs instantly swell shut from the year round pollen.

#19 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

As a father with two jobs, my free time is between 11pm-1am. Hard to go outside, or even find a gym that's open.

#20 DocRamon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

it IS confirmed for a US release, but there's never been a date beyond a very generic 2008. nintendo's press site has always just said "TBA" for the release, so yeah... all the dates that got thrown around were placeholders to get the game in the system for pre-orders.

my theory... nintendo knows they have a hit on their hands, but it needs to be marketed properly. look at brain age. same situation. how long was brain age out in japan before it came overseas? i think the 2nd one was released there before we had the first, right?

the first goal in nintendo's mind, i think, meet the demand and get systems on shelves. people interested in wii fit as a system seller won't buy it if they can't find the system. so when will that be? who knows at this point...

then, it still has to be marketed so that the 'correct' audience sees it, the new casual gamers. for instance, my father knows about brain age because of ads run in newsweek magazine. developing the proper marketing strategy takes a bit of time... which they've hopefully started, but needs to be enacted.

i don't think nintendo is worried about stepping on other games. i'd bet that they see the target audience as totally different from anything else. those that pick up wii fit (again, nintendo's eyes) want unique gameplay and weight loss gimmicks. they're not the same people buying mario kart and smash bros, just as the 'gamers' that want those games (nintendo's eyes) don't want to stand up and balance.

so what does that mean? your guess is as good as mine... let's say shipments and supply increase by march (being generous?), i'd say the game comes out... early summer if we're lucky. sell it as a 'stay in shape over the summer' thing? or perhaps late summer, where nintendo likes to position big titles like they did with metroid this past year. or, perhaps most likely, is hold it until christmas 08 and give it the 'finally the wii is in stores for christmas, with a weight loss add on' spin.

just thoughts...

#21 AmigoOne   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

AmigoOne

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

#22 Mr. Roper   Banned Banned   308 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Mr. Roper

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:22 AM

They have to reinforce it for all the fattys in America.

#23 Poolking99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   221 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Poolking99

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

I think they are holding it for the typical Nintendo "drought" seasons. Usually they stack their big hitters for the second half of the year and specifically in time for holiday releases. Either it wasn't ready for a holiday launch last year or figured that the Wii would sell without it for the holiday. They are going to most likely try to place it between Brawl (AAA title) in Feb. and Mario Kart Wii (Jun. or holiday this year (I know they said Q1, but it seems that is caught in the Nintendo bait and switch release date system)) to release what they believe will be like Wii Play and sell well and move some systems if needed.

Basically my theory is that they are trying to beef up the first half of this year and space out their releases to satisfy the public and give them a new game instead of the usual 6 month period where no Wii games are being bought.

#24 Ice2Dragon   Cuckoo For Killing Stuff CAGiversary!   3427 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:52 AM

They have to reinforce it for all the fattys in America.

Yeah, we do suck with the whole obesity.

#25 jbuck138   Wario for President! CAGiversary!   718 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

jbuck138

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I want this game, but I wouldn't doubt Nintendo would release this around mothers day and have oprah endorse it. That way every woman that is obsessed with Oprah would want this game.

But I wish it was still coming out this month.

#26 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5450 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

I think they should hold it till next holiday season, then market it as a weight loss gimmick to shed those holiday pounds. Of course it would make sense to have it ready, and have ample stock of the game before Christmas. Oh and they need to make the board bigger and make sure it can hold at least 350lbs or possibly more, if you are marketing a weight loss gimmick in the USA, it has to be able to handle fat people. Push even harder in January with this gimmick when people are freaking out about those holiday pounds.

People do go outside in the summer to exercise so I don't think this would be a good seller then because people are trying to get their kids out of the house and away from the games in the summer.

But first Nintendo needs to work on getting a steady stock of Wii's on the shelves because if people can't find the system, then there will be less Wii fit sales.

#27 fshaia   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   672 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

From another board

just got this from amazon:

Quote:
We have received new release date information related to your
pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on September 05 2007 18:54 PDT
(Order#xxxxx). The release date
for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and
we want to provide you with a
new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Wii Fit" [Video Game]
Release date: 02/01/2008

#28 LonelyController   lonelycontroller.com CAGiversary!   4330 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

LonelyController

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

Thanks, fshaia.

#29 seen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2503 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

HAHA great vid.

#30 Kendal   My sleep number is 69 CAGiversary!   4945 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:32 AM

I wear a size 15 shoe. I hope my feet can fit on the board!