Wii Fit - Gen. Discussion & Info - What's your Fit age?

chakan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
Nintendo announced the official MSRP of Wii Fit at $89.99 and the release date of May 21. It will be available 2 days earlier at the NY Nintendo World Store.
April 15, 2008

Nintendo News: Wii Fit to Keep Americans Moving at $89.99 MSRP

In anticipation of the U.S. launch of Wii Fit™, the new interactive fitness game for the popular Wii™ system, Nintendo of America Inc. has announced pricing details for this groundbreaking release. Available at Nintendo World store starting on May 19, Wii Fit and the innovative Wii Balance Board™ accessory will be bundled and sold together at a suggested retail price of $89.99.

Boasting a dynamic mix of more than 40 yoga, aerobics, strength training and balance activities, Wii Fit provides consumers with a fun, easy and affordable way to incorporate exercise into their daily routines. Using the included wireless Wii Balance Board accessory, every member of the household can step up and stay active, setting individual fitness goals and tracking their progress over time.

Consumers in the New York area who pre-order Wii Fit from the Nintendo World store in Rockefeller Plaza will receive a special bonus item. From April 18-20, the first 1,000 consumers who place a $5 deposit for Wii Fit will receive a limited edition Wii Fit T-shirt featuring the image and reproduced autograph of legendary Nintendo video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto.

Through mid-February, Wii Fit had sold more than 1.4 million copies in Japan since its Dec. 1, 2007 launch. For more information about Wii Fit, please visit www.WiiFit.com

Official site

Amazon preorder
wii_fit_box_front.jpg
wii_fit_box_back-2.jpg
tn_WBB_0706.jpg
wiifithoop.jpg
wiifitbmi.jpg
176750-6-1-1.jpg

Reggie introduces Wii Fit at 2007 E3
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTzwpMyh4Xw[/MEDIA]

Cheapy D's unboxing video:
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXYfHAa4V7E[/MEDIA]

Amazon.com and many Gamestops have sold out of their pre-orders. Best Buy seems to have many available.

Original post:
I searched the forums for an answer to this, sorry if I missed it.

Back in September, I though I remembered Wii Fit having a US release date of Jan 1, 2008 on Gamestop.com and a couple other places. Today, Jan 1, typical Tuesday video game release day, has come and gone...where is it?

**UPDATE**

Nintendo announces release date of May 19, 2008

**2nd Update**

MSRP of $90.00? At least at Gamestop.
wiifitprice032408.jpg

Jan 1 is not a typical video game release day. In fact there is no new release today. It is just a placeholder.

Yeah I thought it was suppose to come out mid Jan.

ign has the US release date for TBA(to be announced) 2008 and the JAP release date for Dec. 1, 2008

gamespot also has a TBA 2008 release date also
no yoga for a while, so try not to gain to much weight before this thing comes out!

[quote name='MidnightMetal']
no yoga for a while, so try not to gain to much weight before this thing comes out![/QUOTE]
Why do you think I want this game so much? :)

Did they even confirm they were bringing it to the US? I thought it was a japanese release that everyone assumed was coming to the US, but no firm release date can be found.

Its listed on Amazon.com, and was on Gamestop at one point....I'm pretty sure its coming to US, just would like to know when.

62t had a pretty good reason why it wasn't really Jan 1st.

[quote name='chakan']I hope the container ship gets here soon, then[/quote]

I work for a large container ship company and I guarantee you that any one of them will put Wii fit on there in a hurry if Nintendo wants it loaded....so much extra capacity......

Anyways, I'm also waiting for Wii Fit.....I need to look into getting:

1. My Wii modified to play import games (warranty is up now anyways I think after 1+ year)

2. Wii Fit

3. A way to buy things from the Japanese Virtual Console site....

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']they have to make it capable of handling more weight for a US launch[/QUOTE]
I could actually believe that explanation.

I have no idea, but I do know that you can preorder it (as well as Mario Kart Wii) at Gamecrazy now. They think they have release dates for both of those, but they are wrong (or just estimates). But in any case, you *can* preorder. I did both just as a bonus for a helpful clerk at my local store. Though I figured it was probably a good idea to preorder Wii Fit there anyway as I'll want to buy it with my credit (and not cash at a regular store). Gamecrazy isn't likely to get too many of them in. The whole thing might be a bit hard to find at the beginning - I kind of figure it will be like Wii Play was the first month or so, though the demand for that was augmented by the controller shortage at the time.

At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.

Last I heard, it was nebulously scheduled for first half of 08. Probably Q2 since Smash is Q1, but more likely it will be whenever Mario Kart is not, since they're both aimed at the casual crowd.

Realistically Q2, since SSBB will keep the Wii sold out through February, I'd imagine.

[quote name='seen']At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.[/QUOTE]

Ohh, so it's a video game.

Strange, as this would be the ideal time for a Wii fit release since American's are now freaking out about dieting and losing those pounds put on during the holidays. Remember, if they make it so that American's perceive it as a way to lose weight while playing video games it will be an instant hit. Combine this will all the Wii sales of the holiday season, the winter season which means less going outdoors for people and you have an instant hit on your hands.

[quote name='seen']At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.[/quote]

Dunno about you, but it's usually healthier for me if I don't wander around outside where my eyes, throat, and lungs instantly swell shut from the year round pollen.

[quote name='seen']At first I thought this would be awesome, then I realized that this is just an excuse to keep you in the living room instead of going outside like a healthy person should.[/QUOTE]As a father with two jobs, my free time is between 11pm-1am. Hard to go outside, or even find a gym that's open.

it IS confirmed for a US release, but there's never been a date beyond a very generic 2008. nintendo's press site has always just said "TBA" for the release, so yeah... all the dates that got thrown around were placeholders to get the game in the system for pre-orders.

my theory... nintendo knows they have a hit on their hands, but it needs to be marketed properly. look at brain age. same situation. how long was brain age out in japan before it came overseas? i think the 2nd one was released there before we had the first, right?

the first goal in nintendo's mind, i think, meet the demand and get systems on shelves. people interested in wii fit as a system seller won't buy it if they can't find the system. so when will that be? who knows at this point...

then, it still has to be marketed so that the 'correct' audience sees it, the new casual gamers. for instance, my father knows about brain age because of ads run in newsweek magazine. developing the proper marketing strategy takes a bit of time... which they've hopefully started, but needs to be enacted.

i don't think nintendo is worried about stepping on other games. i'd bet that they see the target audience as totally different from anything else. those that pick up wii fit (again, nintendo's eyes) want unique gameplay and weight loss gimmicks. they're not the same people buying mario kart and smash bros, just as the 'gamers' that want those games (nintendo's eyes) don't want to stand up and balance.

so what does that mean? your guess is as good as mine... let's say shipments and supply increase by march (being generous?), i'd say the game comes out... early summer if we're lucky. sell it as a 'stay in shape over the summer' thing? or perhaps late summer, where nintendo likes to position big titles like they did with metroid this past year. or, perhaps most likely, is hold it until christmas 08 and give it the 'finally the wii is in stores for christmas, with a weight loss add on' spin.

just thoughts...

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']they have to make it capable of handling more weight for a US launch[/quote]

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

I think they are holding it for the typical Nintendo "drought" seasons. Usually they stack their big hitters for the second half of the year and specifically in time for holiday releases. Either it wasn't ready for a holiday launch last year or figured that the Wii would sell without it for the holiday. They are going to most likely try to place it between Brawl (AAA title) in Feb. and Mario Kart Wii (Jun. or holiday this year (I know they said Q1, but it seems that is caught in the Nintendo bait and switch release date system)) to release what they believe will be like Wii Play and sell well and move some systems if needed.

Basically my theory is that they are trying to beef up the first half of this year and space out their releases to satisfy the public and give them a new game instead of the usual 6 month period where no Wii games are being bought.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']They have to reinforce it for all the fattys in America.[/quote]

Yeah, we do suck with the whole obesity.

I want this game, but I wouldn't doubt Nintendo would release this around mothers day and have oprah endorse it. That way every woman that is obsessed with Oprah would want this game.

But I wish it was still coming out this month.

I think they should hold it till next holiday season, then market it as a weight loss gimmick to shed those holiday pounds. Of course it would make sense to have it ready, and have ample stock of the game before Christmas. Oh and they need to make the board bigger and make sure it can hold at least 350lbs or possibly more, if you are marketing a weight loss gimmick in the USA, it has to be able to handle fat people. Push even harder in January with this gimmick when people are freaking out about those holiday pounds.

People do go outside in the summer to exercise so I don't think this would be a good seller then because people are trying to get their kids out of the house and away from the games in the summer.

But first Nintendo needs to work on getting a steady stock of Wii's on the shelves because if people can't find the system, then there will be less Wii fit sales.

From another board

just got this from amazon:

Quote:
We have received new release date information related to your
pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on September 05 2007 18:54 PDT
(Order#xxxxx). The release date
for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and
we want to provide you with a
new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"Wii Fit" [Video Game]
Release date: 02/01/2008

I don't think nintendo has the production capacity yet to launch in the us, the item has moved a million in japan in a very short time.
I would guess the delay is a combination of logistics and stockpiling.

Finally confirmed release date of May 19
Wii Fit: Wii Fit demonstrates Nintendo's commitment to gamers of all kinds. It combines fun and fitness for every member of the family to keep active and play together. Wii Fit launches May 19 in the United States and comes with the weight-and-motion-sensing Wii Balance Board that Nintendo representatives demonstrated could hold great promise for future game development as well. Third-party publishers are already working on new games and applications that will make use of the Wii Balance Board. Additionally, Wii Fit includes access to the Wii Fit Channel, an interactive channel that lets users check in each day to track their fitness progress through weight and BMI. In Japan, Wii Fit has sold more than 1.4 million units since its Dec. 1 launch.

[quote name='chakan']I wonder if they'll do an ad campaign for this. It could be huge.[/quote]

Reggie said in his IGN interview that Wii Fit will probably see the most money spent this year as far as marketing campaign goes.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Reggie said in his IGN interview that Wii Fit will probably see the most money spent this year as far as marketing campaign goes.[/quote]

Also says there will be 10 games coming that will use the balance board.

Here, as posted (by me) on Kotaku, is a sneak peak at that lineup:

Mario Surfing
Mario Skiing
Mario Keg Stand
Luigi's Flagpole Sit
Miss America Posture Practice with Princess Peach
Donkey Kong Bongo Boots
Call of Duty: Abu Ghraib Tactics
Hokey Pokémon
Resident Evil: Zombie Sway
Wii Spectator Sports

Please let this be true!

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11522

A new 1080 with balance board support? I'm there!

At some point last year, Amazon was taking pre-orders for Wii Fit for $69.99. I got an order in a that price so I feel pretty comfortable. MSRP certainly won't be any lower than that.

A bad sign, though, is that pretty much the only legit site taking pre-orders right now is CDUniverse and it's $89. Let's hope that's not the real price.

I imagine Namco's Family Ski (already out in Japan) counts as one of those 10 "supported" games. Supposed to be pretty good, too.

And the moment Wii Fit gets demonstrated on Oprah, BOOM! ;)

--R.J.

Game Stop has entered the SKU and started pre-orders for

MAY, 2008. Price: $89.99. Board AND game.

Pre-order cost: $10

May is a bad time to have this type of game, it needs a winter release.

Why would I buy a game to lose wait when May-September you want to be outside?

Yet another stupid choice by Nintendo, along with the $90 price and the charging for online.

[quote name='bigdaddy']May is a bad time to have this type of game, it needs a winter release.

Why would I buy a game to lose wait when May-September you want to be outside?

Yet another stupid choice by Nintendo, along with the $90 price and the charging for online.[/quote]

If they want to make a big splash, January 1st 2009.

Those people who want to "lose the holiday weight" will be tripping over old people to get this.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']If they want to make a big splash, January 1st 2009.

Those people who want to "lose the holiday weight" will be tripping over old people to get this.[/quote]

Exactly. You release it in December so you get the holiday sales and then come January everyone wants to lose wait.

I understand they don't want to wait until 2009 to release it, they might have other games to come out with it, but May is a bad time.

More so because it cost $90. If Nintendo wants to have 10 games that work with it like they said they either need to cut the price tag to $70 or lower or bundle it with the Wii. I can't understand what costs to much? The game is a shitty little game, $30, and the board costs $60? No way.

I think Nintendo is trying to make it their Guitar Hero but I think they are over estimating it.

I don't quite accept that its $90 yet. Gamestop has a history of jacking up new release DS games by $5. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to overcharge by $10 or so for a popular Wii title. When it shows up as $90 at a few other retailers, then I'll believe it.

bread's done
Back