Best Wavebird Replacement? (need 3rd party recommendation)

mullinsmcd

CAG Veteran
With the Wavebird now out of production, and costing $70+ to get a new one off ebay, what 3rd party wireless controller would you recommend buying as a replacement? My good ol' Wavebirds keep dying from old age.

Gamecube Wireless Link Controller with Battery Pack - Purple
21hdJXXAmaL._AA160_.jpg

I just bought one of these out of curiousity; I was planning on comparing how well it works as opposed to my regular corded gamecube controllers and the Thrustmaster T-Wireless Controller.

I haven't really had a chance to play with it, but I do know that I'm going to toss the crappy rechargeable pack it has built in and simply use a pair of AA Eneloop rechargeables. The controller feels quite solid, and mine is a neat shade of purple. The analog sticks especially feel pretty good.

I can't quite remember where, but I think a few people were complaining about connectivity issues.

The controller has rumble built in, which can be turned off if you want to save battery power.

Unfortunately, Amazon bumped the price of this up from 21.99 to 28.99 just recently.

T Wireless Gamepad for Nintendo Wii
thrustmaster-t-wireless-nw-wii-20071130034108937_thumb_ign.jpg

This controller looks interesting, and is supposedly quite small. It was reviewed by IGN, who gave it favorable scores. The customer reviews, however, aren't as glowing. They are mostly positive, but mention issues such as the button markings wearing down.

Another issue is that this controller seems to be harder to find than the Wii itself. I wish that was a bit of hyperbole. However I've had one on order for quite some time, and others have been waiting weeks for their Dell.com orders.

Lastly, it uses THREE AAs. One for the reciever dongle, and two for the controller itself. I've never been a fan of odd numbers of batteries for anything, as they create the Hot Dog / Hot Dog bun issue: batteries of all kinds come in multiples of two.

Hmm...no one has said anything about the Intec, Madcatz, Pelican wireless controllers. Anyone have a good experience with either brands of wireless controllers?

The first controller I mentioned is the Intec wireless one.

I spent a couple of hours with it today, playing Tales of Symphonia on my Wii.

The control sticks work perfectly. The buttons are laid out exactly like a regular game cube controller and are responsive. I had no disconnect issues. The only real problem with it is that the rumble is very /very/ weak. Hardly noticeable.

I'd recommend it if you are looking for a purely wireless solution.

I have a madcatz (gamestop brand) wireless gamecube controller and the stick doesn't hold its center very well. I'm constantly having to turn it off and turn it on again to recenter it. I bought it like 2-3 weeks ago. Being the moron I am, however, I threw out the packaging so there's no hope of returning it.

Warning about the Intec controller that was mentioned. I bought one of these and it was great for... about 5 days. Then it started seeing the stick being pushed slightly in one or the other direction even when it was dead center. You can temporarily fix the problem by circling the stick around a few time, but soon enough it's back again, and it's gotten worse with time. This first started to show while trying to write letters in Animal Crossing. It was a pain as you'd move to a letter and then be on another letter. The pain got worse. The selected letter started moving on its own.

So I'd have to put a huge AVOID sticker on that controller. Which is a shame, because if the stick wasn't a piece of crap (it is a PS2 stick slapped onto a GC controller, and perhaps that is the source of the problem, but I don't know) it would be great since it has rumble. In fact, after having it about 3 days, when it seemed great, I foolishly ordered two more. Then the noted problem cropped up. So far I have the other two unopened. I've considered trying another one, but I'm worried it will be the same. So... if others do have this controller I'd like to know how they are working for them over the long haul. I.e. should I open the other controllers?

I'd check some of your local shops, I've found 2 wavebirds at EB/gamestop just by checking, they are grouped with all the other wireless controllers for gamecube (they have one SKU for any wireless controller) which is sort of strange.

I got one at game crazy for 12 bucks after my MVP card, and one at EB for about 16 bucks.

I bought a Pelican G3 today, it is supposed to have over 50 hours of battery life and it has rumble, it feels pretty good. I will try it tonight and this weekend and let you guys know how it is, it was $20 at Walmart so at least if it sucks I can return it.

[quote name='tsmvengy']I have a madcatz (gamestop brand) wireless gamecube controller and the stick doesn't hold its center very well. I'm constantly having to turn it off and turn it on again to recenter it. I bought it like 2-3 weeks ago. Being the moron I am, however, I threw out the packaging so there's no hope of returning it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the MadCatz are junk, and it is a shame -- they are the most available GC controller around. Some of them have some nice rubberized grips, and the price is certainly right. I picked up 2 when I got my GC last year, and the first one crapped out in a month, after only light use -- it kept dropping the signal. I have all the warranty info, and registered it with MadCatz online, but have been too lazy to send it in for replacement.

The second one lasted a bit longer, but the stick tends to wander to the top. Its a darn shame no one was able to make a controller that matched the Wavebird -- and I am frustrated with Thrustmaster for not making their new control pad GC compatible.

well first impressions of the above pad

1) Made of CHEAP plastic
2) no rubber on the c stick or analog stick
3) Comparable size to wavebird

Rumble Feature:
A very light rumble, but nothing terrible

Responsiveness:
I havnt had a hitch yet

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!:
The controller adapter (the thing that plugs into the wii/cube) is not centered, therefore making a snug fit with other wavebirds. This need to be placed as player 1 for the sube and player 5 for the wii in order for abs. no snugness for the other wavebirds.

Yea im also wanting to purchase a 3rd party gamecube controller that has viberation.. Its right now between the Pelican G3 and the Shockwave and the Blazepro, which one should i get? I really care about the reaction time, a long time ago i bought a wireless ps2 remote made by madcatz and it totally sucked, the reaction time would be like 3 seconds behind even when the batteries were new. So if you know which of the 3 is the most compatible compare to a wire one, let me know..

Has anyone else tried the Intec w/rumble? I'm still sitting on two unopened ones and want to know if they all have the problem with the centering of the stick (often registers as slightly pushed in one direction or the other even when untouched.) We like the one we opened otherwise, and so I keep thinking about taking a chance and opening another one, in the hope that the first one was just defective, but at the same time I'm doubtful.

Incidentally, it has the same problem with the design of the receiver module, but worse it would seem, as you can't put a Wavebird to the left of Intec receiver at all. It won't fit. So the Intec has to be to the left of any Wavebirds.

[quote name='crunchewy']Has anyone else tried the Intec w/rumble? I'm still sitting on two unopened ones and want to know if they all have the problem with the centering of the stick (often registers as slightly pushed in one direction or the other even when untouched.) We like the one we opened otherwise, and so I keep thinking about taking a chance and opening another one, in the hope that the first one was just defective, but at the same time I'm doubtful.

Incidentally, it has the same problem with the design of the receiver module, but worse it would seem, as you can't put a Wavebird to the left of Intec receiver at all. It won't fit. So the Intec has to be to the left of any Wavebirds.[/quote]
Hey did you ever open another one to see if the first one is just broken?

I just found a pair of G3 Wireless controllers with rumble PL-7008 on ebay w00t, i search very hard for em, and finally found them. I only wanted 1 but he was only selling them via pair, so i still got them, since i really wanted them :D .
b932_1.JPG

I bought them as soon as i saw them, these things are impossible to find haha.
You may think, why is this dude so stoke about some 3rd party crappy controller lol, well its not, when i had it, this thing was great. Its the best Gamecube wireless controller there is IMO..
Here are other peoples reviews saying the same thing lol.
http://psillustrated.com/gamevortex/hard_rev.php/37
http://www.viewonline.com/pages/articles/pelicang3wireless.htm
http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/perireview.php?perireviewid=1
http://www.gaming-nation.net/articles.php?articleId=67
http://gamecube.gamezone.com/news/09_12_02_06_02PM.htm
After reading that lol, if it makes you wanna get one, make sure when your hunting for one, that you DO NOT buy the newer cheaper model PL-7055, the one that doesn't have rumble, that one feels sucky. Well its not that it sucks, but it feels cheap compare to this one (PL-7008)..

[quote name='finsfan07']I just found a pair of G3 Wireless controllers with rumble PL-7008 on ebay w00t, i search very hard for em, and finally found them. I only wanted 1 but he was only selling them via pair, so i still got them, since i really wanted them :D .
b932_1.JPG

I bought them as soon as i saw them, these things are impossible to find haha.
You may think, why is this dude so stoke about some 3rd party crappy controller lol, well its not, when i had it, this thing was great. Its the best Gamecube wireless controller there is IMO..
Here are other peoples reviews saying the same thing lol.
http://psillustrated.com/gamevortex/hard_rev.php/37
http://www.viewonline.com/pages/articles/pelicang3wireless.htm
http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/perireview.php?perireviewid=1
http://www.gaming-nation.net/articles.php?articleId=67
http://gamecube.gamezone.com/news/09_12_02_06_02PM.htm
After reading that lol, if it makes you wanna get one, make sure when your hunting for one, that you DO NOT buy the newer cheaper model PL-7055, the one that doesn't have rumble, that one feels sucky. Well its not that it sucks, but it feels cheap compare to this one (PL-7008)..[/quote]
hows the batt life? and if you only need one, would you be willing to part with one?

[quote name='finsfan07']Hey did you ever open another one to see if the first one is just broken?[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I finally did and the score is that one of them doesn't work at all - it doesn't connect and the otherone seems to work OK and so far no problem with it registering as being pushed in some direction when it isn't, but playing with it more today, it definitely is more (too) sensitive and that makes it a nuisance when picking things in menus and such, plus it probably means that eventually we'll see the problem crop up on it. So, don't buy the Intec controller. That's my advice.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yesterday I finally did and the score is that one of them doesn't work at all - it doesn't connect and the otherone seems to work OK and so far no problem with it registering as being pushed in some direction when it isn't, but playing with it more today, it definitely is more (too) sensitive and that makes it a nuisance when picking things in menus and such, plus it probably means that eventually we'll see the problem crop up on it. So, don't buy the Intec controller. That's my advice.[/quote]

yea i bought one and the z button does not work and its way way to sensitive

[quote name='finsfan07']I just found a pair of G3 Wireless controllers with rumble PL-7008 on ebay w00t[/QUOTE]

Please let us know how this controllers prove to be this time around. Still a great controller?

[quote name='crunchewy']Please let us know how this controllers prove to be this time around. Still a great controller?[/quote]

i just found one on ebay im so happy! ill tell you all about it when i get it. I cant wait to play brawl with it.

Can anyone help with a Blazepro wireless controler? I bought one on amazon and it arrived from Hong Kong with no instructions. The manufacturer website is in chinese and it's not plug and play. When you plug in the wireless to the Wii, the red light blinks and it blinks on the controller but no connection. If anyone has a manual or a website and could help, I would really appreciate it. If you do have a manual in English, I would love to know where you bought the controller too. I'll take suggestions to try as well since I don't know much about controllers in general.
thanks,
Van339

[quote name='van339']Can anyone help with a Blazepro wireless controler? I bought one on amazon and it arrived from Hong Kong with no instructions. The manufacturer website is in chinese and it's not plug and play. When you plug in the wireless to the Wii, the red light blinks and it blinks on the controller but no connection. If anyone has a manual or a website and could help, I would really appreciate it. If you do have a manual in English, I would love to know where you bought the controller too. I'll take suggestions to try as well since I don't know much about controllers in general.
thanks,
Van339[/QUOTE]
i have one, are the controller and receiver 'seeing' eachother. for mine, they blink for a second, then turn solid red.

I just bought a couple of the pelican G3 PL-7008 off of ebay and they are supposed to be just as good if not better than the wavebird from what I have read, plus they have rumble. If you are going to search for these on ebay don't type in the brand or model number cause the people selling them were only listing them using generic titles. I found mine under "wireless gamecube contoller" and searched thru each and every picture and when I found the what looked like the contoller I emailed them and asked them what the model number was on the back of the controller. Also I have heard that the HIP Gear controllers are a really good replacement for the wavebird. They also have rumble and look more like the wavebird. HIP INTERACTIVE LM610 GameCube 2.4GHz Wireless Controller

31RShZMgr0L._SL500_AA216_.jpg

These are also hard to find but a seller by the name USAWORLDSALES is selling them on ebay. They are under this description 2-PACK 2.4GHZ WIRELESS CORDLESS controller for GAMECUBE and I will list the item numbers.
Item number: 130222558260
Item number: 160240405215
Item number: 130222558260

Now, I'm getting conflicted. I thought the thrustmaster wireless controller was the best wavebird replacement. It's $20 on amazon. Are these ebayed controllers that people are listing less than $20 or supposed to be better than the thrustmaster alternative?

I just like typing thrustmaster.

edit: did anyone confirm the thrustmaster compatibility with the gamecube? I almost bought it the other day but didn't have a good filler item for free shipping.

[quote name='rothgar24']Now, I'm getting conflicted. I thought the thrustmaster wireless controller was the best wavebird replacement. It's $20 on amazon. Are these ebayed controllers that people are listing less than $20 or supposed to be better than the thrustmaster alternative?

edit: did anyone confirm the thrustmaster compatibility with the gamecube? I almost bought it the other day but didn't have a good filler item for free shipping.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard they weren't compatible, but it was never entirely clear. If you take a chance on it, let us know.

Another possibility, if you don't mind a non-Gamecube button layout, is to get a "Cube Joybox Pro" PS2-to-Gamecube adapter and then use a Logitech Action Cordless PS2 controller with it. I have (not extensively yet, admittedly) tried it with that controller and it works well, including rumble. The adapters are pretty cheap. They also work well with PS2 dance pads (which is what I originally bought it for):

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-15-cube+joybox+pro-70-14p.html

Note that the A button is mapped to X and the B button is Square, which while it mostly makes sense from a playstation point of view, it's a little strange since on a gamecube the B button is below the A button, and this has the B button above the A button. At least it's still to the left of the A button.

Also they have a dire warning about not connecting or disconnecting the adapter/controller while the Gamecube is powered on, lest you risk damage to the console. I have followed that direction.

[quote name='rothgar24']Now, I'm getting conflicted. I thought the thrustmaster wireless controller was the best wavebird replacement. It's $20 on amazon. Are these ebayed controllers that people are listing less than $20 or supposed to be better than the thrustmaster alternative?

edit: did anyone confirm the thrustmaster compatibility with the gamecube? I almost bought it the other day but didn't have a good filler item for free shipping.[/quote]

Here's a link to circuit city which sells them in store. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Thru...03191/catOid/-16761/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
If you read the description it states that the controller is compatible with gamecube games and some wii games. It even lists the Wii games that its compatible with. Hope this helps.

Is it compatible with the Gamecube, or is it "compatible with Gamecube games when used on the Wii"? That is where it's unclear. I had read someone say that they tried it on their Cube and it didn't work, but then we have folks saying it does work. Does it work on an actual Gamecube?

[quote name='crunchewy']Is it compatible with the Gamecube, or is it "compatible with Gamecube games when used on the Wii"? That is where it's unclear. I had read someone say that they tried it on their Cube and it didn't work, but then we have folks saying it does work. Does it work on an actual Gamecube?[/quote]

Well the thrustmaster never came out until the Wii came out. I believe its "compatible with Gamecube games when used on the Wii" because its a Wii accessory not a gamecube accessory.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on a cube(the thrustmaster that is)......controler port is a controler port....but I have only used it with the wii. I will try it on my 'cube tonight and post the results tomorrow.....

Ok,

Tried the thrustmaster on the 'cube last night and.......

It works..........played some animal crossing....and almost lost track of time...man I hate that game, but the wife loves it....but it is such a time eater

And at the dell store it is about 22.50 shipped with tax...best deal IMO

[quote name='LordFungus']Ok,

Tried the thrustmaster on the 'cube last night and.......

It works..........played some animal crossing....and almost lost track of time...man I hate that game, but the wife loves it....but it is such a time eater

And at the dell store it is about 22.50 shipped with tax...best deal IMO[/quote]

Thanks. I think I'll check it out. I might buy the amazon one at 19.99 next time I need to buy something else to get to free shipping at $25.

Thanks for a definitive answer on this question LordFungus -- the truely cheapass around here, not planing on getting a Wii anytime soon, appreciate your mind share on this.

I myself scored another used Wavebird for $17.99 at Gamestop a week back -- it must have belonged to an adult who never played, because it was just like new.

[quote name='LordFungus']t is available in the dell store for about 22.50 shipped with tax

link:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A1302857[/QUOTE]

I'd be wary of ordering anything like this from Dell. I tried ordering a couple of these a while back, and although the status never changed on the site from "In Stock," my order was delayed and eventually canceled.

Of course, that pales in comparison to what happened to a friend of mine when he ordered his Zune from them. Dell canceled that order because they "went out of stock." He calls to complain and they tell him that they will see what they can do. He ended up getting two Zunes, and yes, they charged him for each, over-drafting his account). I'm not a fan of Dell's customer support.

[quote name='crunchewy']Another possibility, if you don't mind a non-Gamecube button layout, is to get a "Cube Joybox Pro" PS2-to-Gamecube adapter and then use a Logitech Action Cordless PS2 controller with it. I have (not extensively yet, admittedly) tried it with that controller and it works well, including rumble.[/quote]

Have you tried it out extensively since then? I'm thinking of getting this to use with the PS2 Logitech cordless controller. One of the reviews on Play Asia said that only official Sony controllers could be used. I hope it isn't true though.

bread's done
Back