Getting rid of used DVDs... best way?

fretster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I have a ton of DVDs, all in great shape (CML if you want) and I know I'm not going to sell all of them on here. I don't really like hassling with eBay for 3-5 dollar items, so I was wondering if there are any chains of stores that buy used DVDs, or where the best place to go would be that would give me a decent price on them. I know I'm not going to retire from selling them at a store, but it would be nice just to have them gone.

I live in Seattle, WA for reference.

Thanks!

Gamestop takes them, but unless they have a deal going on you usually get killed. It may be worth your time to google "Used DVD sales" + Your area, you may find a store willing to part with some solid change.

You could also Craigslist them, you might get a nice chunk of change that way (I'd probably take out the best flicks to sell individually, put the lesser flicks together to sell as a collection).

Blockbuster/gamerush isn't bad, either. You won't get a lot of cash, but you can use it as game credit.

I'd Ebay my more valuable/rare ones, but do a trade on the "common" and non-valuable discs.

[quote name='fretster']I have a ton of DVDs, all in great shape (CML if you want) and I know I'm not going to sell all of them on here. I don't really like hassling with eBay for 3-5 dollar items, so I was wondering if there are any chains of stores that buy used DVDs, or where the best place to go would be that would give me a decent price on them. I know I'm not going to retire from selling them at a store, but it would be nice just to have them gone.

I live in Seattle, WA for reference.

Thanks![/quote]

FYE by far has the best trade in prices on DVDs. You can see what your stuff is worth at http://www.secondspin.com and as an added bonus, they're giving a 20% (45% if you take store credit instead of cash) bump on all trade ins until 1/28.

[quote name='rarebucky']I concur with FYE. I got $10 after bump for many DVDs that wouldn't have even gotten me $5 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear, I'll drag my bin of DVDs at the end of this week then :)

its a deal with their brown bag... some stores will want you to use their brown bag, so call ahead.

Worse comes to worst then grab their bag fill it in car and walk in with them full.

Also the Secondspin site is a close amount on dvd's not always correct but close.

Good luck I am doing the same thing... cross checking Secondspin, with ebay to see if I have any worth dumping outside the FYE deal.

Does fye still stock PS3s? Or can order them? I'm selling my collection to help fund a PS3 purchase. If I can get 45% more for in-store and be able to use that towards a PS3 I'd be a happy camper.

I took a box full of DVDs (probably 50 movies) to FYE yesterday. They said that their new policy is that they only accept 10 movies per day. They said I could come back every day if I wanted, but they could only accept 10 per person per day.

Anyone else get fed this line of BS from their FYE?

Anyone know how FYEs instore bluray prices are? The gf got an ipod, so she ripped all her cds and wants to trade them in. I was checking secondspin, everyone one of them was listed at 2-5$, and she has at least 40, and with the bonus trade in credit, we could get a nice stack of blurays.

Since you're in Seattle, you might want to see if Scarecrow Video does trade-ins. I've yet to make it in, so I don't know if they do/ what they'd give, but I do know they're one of the biggest dedicated DVD stores around. They're up on Roosevelt Way (website at scarecrow.com)

[quote name='opterasis']Anyone know how FYEs instore bluray prices are? The gf got an ipod, so she ripped all her cds and wants to trade them in. I was checking secondspin, everyone one of them was listed at 2-5$, and she has at least 40, and with the bonus trade in credit, we could get a nice stack of blurays.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty shady. If you sell the original of a game, music album, etc you're not supposed to keep a copy for yourself.

[quote name='Collectordragon']That's pretty shady. If you sell the original of a game, music album, etc you're not supposed to keep a copy for yourself.[/quote]

I guess she could have downloaded everything off the internet, never paying a penny in the first place. It's more honesty than alot of people when it comes to music.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Since you're in Seattle, you might want to see if Scarecrow Video does trade-ins. I've yet to make it in, so I don't know if they do/ what they'd give, but I do know they're one of the biggest dedicated DVD stores around. They're up on Roosevelt Way (website at scarecrow.com)[/QUOTE]

Good call, I live up in the UDist, they're only a few blocks away.

[quote name='Collectordragon']That's pretty shady. If you sell the original of a game, music album, etc you're not supposed to keep a copy for yourself.[/quote]

It's all good, karma always comes back to brick your iPod and corrupt your hard drive within days of each other as soon as you sell the originals. :)

[quote name='dinosaursrock']It's all good, karma always comes back to brick your iPod and corrupt your hard drive within days of each other as soon as you sell the originals. :)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Same boat as you OP.

Went to FYE today and brought a bunch movies. They would not take anything in a block buster dvd case. They are the ones with the notches in the bottom so i had to keep about 20 or so.

I sold 36 movies to them and got about $3 each with the 25% thing so i got total $120. Not as much as i could of got if i sold them one at a time but hell im not about to pedal around the net for a few more bucks. Good enough.

Good luck op.

[quote name='opterasis']Anyone know how FYEs instore bluray prices are? [/quote]

I got The Simpsons Movie and Superbad used today for about $22 each.

[quote name='mattbuc16']FYE = Four Your Entertainment, right?

They use secondspin's prices?

Thanks,
Matt[/quote]

I think FYE owns secondspin.com. In the FAQ about paying tax, they mention their parent company having stores in most states.

[quote name='becker4546']What exactly do they mean by "Brown Bag deal"?[/quote]

Based on a little Googling, if you bring your DVDs in, in a brown bag, you get an additional 20% on your trade-ins.

I'm gonna call my FYE (Houston Galleria) tomorrow to see if it's currently on ... or if they even buy stuff at all at that store.

I guess they have their own bags but, from a post elsewhere, their bags say you can bring in any brown bag. It may vary from store to store.

[quote name='opterasis']I think FYE owns secondspin.com. In the FAQ about paying tax, they mention their parent company having stores in most states.[/quote]
transworld entertainment owns them all,plus they own sam goody,coconuts,suncoast,wherehouse,specs,saturday matinee and i think they also owned camalot.

[quote name='Supernova']great deal wow I bought 20 of them thx![/quote]

Traveling asshattery circus... stop trolling.

[quote name='opterasis']Anyone know how FYEs instore bluray prices are? The gf got an ipod, so she ripped all her cds and wants to trade them in. I was checking secondspin, everyone one of them was listed at 2-5$, and she has at least 40, and with the bonus trade in credit, we could get a nice stack of blurays.[/quote]

You may be able to get a decent deal buying them used. But new BDs are usually list price, anywhere from $25 to $40.

[quote name='Collectordragon']That's pretty shady. If you sell the original of a game, music album, etc you're not supposed to keep a copy for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Why?

i've had decent luck selling dvds on amazon. most i sold for about $5-6 each (depending on what it is) and they usually sell within 48 hrs if you list them for the lowest price. amazon takes a commission but they credit you a lot for shipping. plus it direct deposits into you account and doesn't charge a fee like paypal whenever you receive a payment (despite the commish, which they tell you how much it is before you complete the listing). i also have good luck with selling games this way as well, if it helps.

[quote name='DetroitSportsFan']I took a box full of DVDs (probably 50 movies) to FYE yesterday. They said that their new policy is that they only accept 10 movies per day. They said I could come back every day if I wanted, but they could only accept 10 per person per day.

Anyone else get fed this line of BS from their FYE?[/quote]

I went tonight with the gf, she traded in about 50 cds. The manager said it all depends on how busy they are. It was dead tonight, so she had no problem with the quantity, but she said on busy days they will only take 10 trade-ins.

So I just put my cds in a brown paper bag like from the grocery store and they give me 20% extra on trade-ins? That sounds messed up!

[quote name='J7.']So I just put my cds in a brown paper bag like from the grocery store and they give me 20% extra on trade-ins? That sounds messed up![/quote]

No, they have their own special brown paper bags that say bonus tradein credit that your supposed to put them in, however, the stores seem to be pretty lax about it, so you might be able to get away with that.

[quote name='addicted2games']DONT go to Moviestop. You get like 1-3 dollars per movie.[/QUOTE]

You're doing it wrong.

Trade 4 for 1 new release should still be going, so it's a nice way to get some newer releases, even if you end up selling them.

[quote name='opterasis']No, they have their own special brown paper bags that say bonus tradein credit that your supposed to put them in, however, the stores seem to be pretty lax about it, so you might be able to get away with that.[/quote]

The guy that answered the phone at the Houston Galleria store told me any bag will do. It's always for store credit ... when you use that bonus.

[quote name='mattbuc16'] It's always for store credit ... when you use that bonus.[/quote]

Not this time. The 25% standard for taking credit still applies, but the brown bag 20% bonus is for cash or credit.

20% bonus = cash (verified by me)
45% bonus = credit (not verified by me)

My experience: I walked into the store with a few DS Games, a PS2 game, and a DVD (no bag), grabbed a bag from the 4 stacks sitting on the countertops, slipped my games into the brown bag at the same time as pulling them back out from said bag while saying "I'd like to trade these in"...

[quote name='kevinw312']For DVD Planet Trade Ins, do you get cash or only store credit? I couldn't find an answer on the FAQs.[/quote]

Store credit.

I worked through the process and was pleasantly surprised by the amount they were offering for some things ($12 for Pirates 2? OK!). However, I was turned off by the lack of professionalism with the process. The whole thing feels like an African phishing scam.

Another great place to get rid of DVDs is Hastings. I bought a bunch of CDs for $5 at a garage sale this summer, took them to Hastings and received over $60 in credit.

Traded in 22 DVD's at FYE in the Palisades Mall (West Nyack, NY) and netted $122 in cash this past weekend. I made sure to go to the store early to avoid getting stuck with a 10 DVD trade in limit. First, I asked if they had any sort of trade in promotion and the employee handed me one of those brown bags earlier posters mentioned. Went back to the car, hauled up my duffel bag of DVD's and was in and out of FYE with the $122 in about 10 minutes time.

One particular DVD trade-in value that peeked my interest was of Monsters Inc. The employee was saying the trade in values to me as he scanned it and I recall him saying that the trade in value was $5. However, as soon as I had time to look through the receipt I was surprised to see Monsters Inc. traded in for $37. Most likely a mistake in their database but it was a shock to me nonetheless.

Is there anything that FYE won't take?

I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to unload my entire DVD collection. They still upscale damn well.

And does FYE take CDs from membership clubs?

bread's done
Back