Sears 30% off all games (only L.A. area)

ens04

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was just at sears today in the L.A. area and they are closing down the sears store near Santa Monica & Western. If you guys live near there go ahead and check it out all games are 30% off even PS3 & XBOX360. Have fun shopping.

[quote name='Nealocus123']There's a more specific video game deal section called regional deals...which is what this sounds like.[/quote]i didnt know

nowyouknow.jpg

Still doesn't beat the TRU yearly (or more often) B2G1 deals unless you only want less than 3 or odd prices. I never buy games anymore without thinking of that first.

[quote name='toogood']Would be great if they still have Persona 3. I'll go check them out. Thanks for the heads up OP.[/quote]

Not very likely. Even the Sears at the Crenshaw Plaza, which allegedly has it according to the website, has no trace of it. Bunch of $10 Rogue Galaxies though.

Hey OP can you post any specific games of note that you saw, if you happen to recall?

Yes, this should be in the regional deals section, but as I live in the area and always forget to check the regional deals section, I'm glad to see it. :)

Maybe I'll run by there tonight and see what I can find.

Even though I share the opinion that this should be in the regional section, I just got back and here's what they have:

All systems are 10% off. Unfortunately, all they have are about 10 of the PSP slims, so it's not a great deal with the 8.5% tax we have here in Los Angeles.

All games are 30% off.

There were no Persona 3s or any RPGs other than Rogue Galaxy for the PS2. There were plenty of other newer PS2 games like Manhunt 2 and basically most of what was released up until Christmas time.

The PSP section was pretty well picked over. The newest game they had was Manhunt 2. I wanted Castlevania, but no luck.

The DS section was pretty well stocked, with lots of those "Pick Your Job" titles and other newer stuff like Cooking Mama 2. No Contra 4 which again was something I would have paid $20 for.

Plenty of newer PS3 and 360 stuff. They had at least 10 copies of Mass Effect, lots of Warhawk, Lair, Unreal Tournament III, basically everything that has been released up until just before Christmas on both systems. Sadly, at 30% off and 8.5% tax, it's a net of roughly 20% off which is worse than you can usually do on Amazon or some of the other sites or even retail stores that regularly put new games on sale.

Lots of Wii stuff, including Battalion Wars 2, Umbrella Chronicles, Trauma Center New Blood, but no Super Mario Galaxy that I could see. Again, no real bargains since everything is $50 minus 30% plus 8.5% tax.

I did see a bunch of Guitar Hero II for PS2 and 360 and even one Rockband full kit for the PS3. I didn't check, but I'm guessing these are only 10% off.

I ended up buying a couple of "front row" games that they had in a display on the main floor next to clothing racks. I found Mercury Meltdown for the Wii for $14 after the discount and an old Harry Potter game for the Xbox for $6.

If you're in the area, it's interesting to check out, but not worth a trip until they hit 50% off.

Was hoping Blu-rays would be at lease 30% off as well, but it's only 10% as of now. Since they're closing it March, the prices might be lower. I'll check back in a few weeks to see if they offer a higher discount rate.

[quote name='bojay1997']Plenty of newer PS3 and 360 stuff. They had at least 10 copies of Mass Effect, lots of Warhawk, Lair, Unreal Tournament III, basically everything that has been released up until just before Christmas on both systems. Sadly, at 30% off and 8.5% tax, it's a net of roughly 20% off which is worse than you can usually do on Amazon or some of the other sites or even retail stores that regularly put new games on sale.

Lots of Wii stuff, including Battalion Wars 2, Umbrella Chronicles, Trauma Center New Blood, but no Super Mario Galaxy that I could see. Again, no real bargains since everything is $50 minus 30% plus 8.5% tax.

[/QUOTE]

Your math is off. The 8.5% should only be charged on the remaining 70% of the price. In other words, you're getting 24% off, not 21.5% as you're suggesting.

Still a good deal: from $60 to 45.60; $50 to $38.

[quote name='toogood']Was hoping Blu-rays would be at lease 30% off as well, but it's only 10% as of now. Since they're closing it March, the prices might be lower. I'll check back in a few weeks to see if they offer a higher discount rate.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I was surprised at how much stuff was only 10% off. The Blu Ray titles also seemed to be significantly more than other places like Fry's or even Best Buy. The Simpsons was $35 before discount. Not exactly a bargain.

[quote name='AHEADAMUS']Your math is off. The 8.5% should only be charged on the remaining 70% of the price. In other words, you're getting 24% off, not 21.5% as you're suggesting.

Still a good deal: from $60 to 45.60; $50 to $38.[/QUOTE]

You've got me there, but I disagree that this is a "good deal." Many of the games they have in stock have been available cheaper from other sources prior to this, including Best Buy and Circuit City during the holidays. I suppose if there is something newer you absolutely have to have this week, this is a good deal, but otherwise you can do better by shopping around and taking advantage of other deals.

[quote name='karaethon']Do you know if this is for Los Angeles only or does it apply to all of Southern California?

Thanks[/quote]

It's a store that's closing, not even all of L.A.

Kind of a shame, too. I always liked that Sears' retro vibe. It looks like it hasn't changed since 1950.

[quote name='Vegan']Is the Guitar Hero 2 that they have "with guitar" or "game only"?[/QUOTE]

I saw a few bundle (game with guitar) on a shelf. It wasn't locked inside the glass case with the other games.

I was just here on Saturday. They still had some good deals. Picked up 13mo xboxlive for $35 and PS3 blu-ray remote for $17. could have done without the circus in the parking lot, but hey i can't complain too much. i mean after all, WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MEN!

[quote name='bojay1997']You've got me there, but I disagree that this is a "good deal." Many of the games they have in stock have been available cheaper from other sources prior to this, including Best Buy and Circuit City during the holidays. I suppose if there is something newer you absolutely have to have this week, this is a good deal, but otherwise you can do better by shopping around and taking advantage of other deals.[/quote]

Also I just have to bring this up, why is there always so much bickering over wether something is a 'good deal' or not. I mean we've got 30% off new release games here. If you're claiming that's not a 'deal', you're not even fooling yourself. Obviously you're free to feel however you want, but I'd appreciate if if you'd keep it to yourself so I don't have to wade through this crap for real information.

[quote name='mnine']Also I just have to bring this up, why is there always so much bickering over wether something is a 'good deal' or not. I mean we've got 30% off new release games here. If you're claiming that's not a 'deal', you're not even fooling yourself. Obviously you're free to feel however you want, but I'd appreciate if if you'd keep it to yourself so I don't have to wade through this crap for real information.[/QUOTE]

This is a discussion board. Part of sharing information is helping people to decide if they should spend the money on gas and take time out to drive out of their way to look for something. It also helps people feel less bad that might be outside of the area and are therefore unable to take advantage of this "deal". The fact that Los Angeles tax is significant and that all of the games were full MSRP to begin with is valuable information to people who might otherwise rush to this sale or people who are sitting in any of the surrounding states who regularly read this board and might feel like they are really missing out on something. Is this is sale? Yes. Is it better than the other deals that are posted on the main board every day or what you can find most of these games for in weekly ads and on Amazon and other websites if you just look for them? Not really. When the percentage goes to 40% or 50%, then there are going to be some real deals to be had. Unfortunately, given what I saw when I was there last week, there is likely not going to be much left.

I provided a good amount of specific information about what was at the sale when I went to Sears just after the sale started. It looks like you are in LA, so where is your post describing the sale and all the deals to be had? If you are too impatient to skip through threads you aren't interested in, then maybe you should just read the first post of every thread and save yourself the heartache of having to scroll past everything else.

I'm pretty close to that Sears, I will have to check it out in the next few days. I have a feeling this will be one of those sales where there 30% isn't quite enough to buy most items, but once it jumps to the next percentage everything will be gone. For those that have already been, post what you picked up.

Is this still going on? I breezed in there today, and they have games as new as Burnout Paradise. I have a hard time believing that's 30% off a day after release. I didn't have time to ask anyone, as I was coming back from a meeting in the area and the meter was running.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Is this still going on? I breezed in there today, and they have games as new as Burnout Paradise. I have a hard time believing that's 30% off a day after release. I didn't have time to ask anyone, as I was coming back from a meeting in the area and the meter was running.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you were not at the right Sears. They haven't restocked their games since the sale started and none of the games are from newer than a week or two before Christmas. I was just there today and the stock keeps getting smaller and smaller, but no further discounts yet.

Ah, you're probably right. But I saw Santa Monica in the OP and thought of the one by the Promenade -- the old-ass one that's literally a historical landmark.

It's up to 50% off, but as you would expect, it's down to the crap now. They have 10 or so copies of Mercury Meltdown for the Wii which would be $10 each, but other than that, not too much worth picking up.

bread's done
Back