Anyone go through as much bullshit as I have?

Kekumba

CAGiversary!
Right, so here's how my 360 repair has gone down so far.

My console gets the three red rings on December 25th. Yes, that's right, Christmas morning I turned it on to play my new games and it dies on me. I call in for my box on December 26th. I receive my box exactly one week later on January 2nd. I ship it the same day. The following day, January 3rd, Purolator.ca notifies me that my console has arrived at the repair center in Toronto just 12 hours after I had originally dropped it off to be shipped out. Xbox.com also updates the exact same day and says that the device has been shipped. 5 days later on January 8th, no console yet, so I check Xbox.com, copy down my tracking number and enter it on Purolator.ca. No info at all. I go to school, come home, go back to Xbox.com, but....no tracking number and I apparently have no pending repairs. So I call Microsoft. I talk to a lady for about 20 minutes and she says to wait until Friday to see if it arrives. If it does not, call back and I can talk to a supervisor. I sit here today, January 9th, exactly two weeks after calling, and no console.

It's amazing, really, how I'm able to go to Staples, drop off my box to ship out late in the day, and it somehow manages to go out that exact same day. Better yet, it arrived at its target destination just 12 hours later. Still, there's no getting your hopes up when dealing with Microsoft. Despite arriving half a day later at the repair center and getting fully "repaired" and "shipped" the exact same day... my console seems to have disappaeared off the face of the earth nearly a week later.

I may be overreacting, maybe, but how hard is it to get a box in the back of a truck and off to where it's supposed to go?

Anyone else have a fun time dealing with Microsoft's repair center?

That really sucks for you. It also sounds kind of fishy that all of that success took place in such a short time. Maybe the lines of communication got crossed somewhere along the way? Who knows, maybe someone else is enjoying your X-Box right now.

Not being a troll or fanboy, but have you considered trading that X-Box in for a PS3? Current-gen X-Boxes are supposed to be really flaky anyway, aren't they? Might save you some future hassle.

i have you beat bro...

13 xbox 360s in 43 days...

My story starts when futureshop had the free guitar hero 2 with xbox. I bought that, I got 3 red lights as soon as i turned iton. Returned it 2 hours later. Then got it again later that night, then returned it again

Long story short 2 tims they were making werid noises, 11 red lights. I said fuck the pro bundle and bought the arcade and havent had an issue with it :)

Alright....eeeeyeahh... not only does that sound a little sketchy, but I really don't care if anyone has me beat or is trying to beat me.

I just want to know how everyone else faired with getting their console repaired.

called microsoft - got box in 4 days, went to staples to ship out on sunday, they said it wouldn't ship till monday... recieved system on wednesday morning at 10 am... haven't had an issue with it since.

I'm in america but when I sent my box in it was relatively painless. I used the website to get the box and never spoke to any call center people. I got my replacement in about a month. The website did tell me that I had no pending repair a couple of times but everything turned out fine for me.

Haven't needed to... yet. My friend got his "repaired". His replacement came and wouldn't even boot up so he had to send it straight back.

mine took about a month, that's being Victoria though, so everything has to across 80% of the goddamn country. I ended just going out and buying another lol I didnt feel like waiting

The problem is, once they send you back a refurb you are doomed. Demand a new 360 if it ever dies, not that they'll listen but it's worth a shot.

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with this myself yet. Console bought April 2006 (MFR early February) is still going strong and I play it A LOT. I voided my warranty before they extended it to three years for RRoD, figuring that since it was out of warranty (at the time, 1 year passed) I'd open it up and dust it out. Now, if it dies I'll just keep it for parts or whatever and buy a new Arcade bundle.

definitly go the supervisor route, you get them to open if i remember correctly somethin called a bug, its their high priority and they have a person call you like every day to update you on whats going on with it. mine was around 2 months before i got it back. they gave me 1250 points after i called them up once i received it and the included 1 month of live that comes in the package you get back

Sorry to hear about your touble. A friend of mine gave up on 360 and bought a PS3 this summer because he had to replace the 360 3 times.

[quote name='Kekumba']
It's amazing, really, how I'm able to go to Staples, drop off my box to ship out late in the day, and it somehow manages to go out that exact same day. Better yet, it arrived at its target destination just 12 hours later. Still, there's no getting your hopes up when dealing with Microsoft. Despite arriving half a day later at the repair center and getting fully "repaired" and "shipped" the exact same day... my console seems to have disappaeared off the face of the earth nearly a week later.
[/quote]

Its true. I work at Staples and out customer service owns. Over-the-counter replacement plans available on anything under $200. And we don't make commision (not even the tech guys) so we won't sell you shit you dont need.

20-30 days for turnaround on manufacturers warranty really isn't out of the ordinary. Yeah, it is annoying, but I bet it would be same if you sent your ipod back, or your a PS3. That is why product replacement plans from places like Staples/FS/BB/etc came into existance, to fill a void. Having said that:

As for being on your 14th console, you must be a sucker for punishment.

It is amazing the MS has probably gained sales from their shite hardware. It seems quite common for people to go out and buy another 360, because they don't want to wait, or their console was deemed not under warranty.

MS really has some sort of magic hold on people. If you bought a car that stopped working: First time, you might assume it is bad luck the, second time, you wouldn't buy the same car again? Especially if you know that it is not just you who has problems with that car. Unless you are a sucker for punishment.

I get the I already have so many games etc, and you already have friends on XBL... but I just find it amazing what people are willing to forgive. Heck, it is more than forgiveness, more like rewarding by _buying_ another console. It almost makes one wonder about how the NPD numbers might be affected?

I guess sony had some shoddy ps2's during it's launch, but it certainly wasn't on this scale. And I certainly don't remember people buying 2nd and 3rd PS2's. Maybe this is just a sign that people have that much more disposable income today, that they did when the PS2 launched.

I am sure there will be studies done why there so many masochists this time around, and maybe they will come up with a solution, cause I don't have one.

~S

Great, guys, thanks for the insight! :)

About going the supervisor route and all that, yeah, at this point I'm pretty much certain that's what it will come down to. But still, I can't wait two months. Two weeks has been hard enough, I'm pretty sure I'd cave and buy another one if I found myself going over a month. :lol:

Another small problem, I've read some trouble of people sending in elites (which is what I have), and getting premium's (or, whites, lol) back.

[quote name='Kekumba']*looks at 34 game 360 collection*

Ummm, PS3....hmmm, nah. ;)[/quote] 34 games really? I can only think of around 8 or 9 games on the 360 that I really want to play. Still a few more than than the ps3 anyways and a lot more than the wii, hehe.

That sucks to hear, man.

I got a 360 on the 31st of December, and I made sure to hunt for one with the new Falcon chips. It wasn't easy, and I was pretty well forced to get it from blockbuster because I had a lot of trade-in credit there, but I found one.

The ones with the falcon chips are said to be more stable, with less a chance to red ring. So yeah, I hunted for that one, and by chance found it at the blockbuster in...Barrhaven I believe. On Greenbank road.

By now, Microsoft SHOULD be replacing any that break down with ones that have the Falcon chips to their unsatisfied customers. If they're not doing that, then that's pretty bad (as if the situation isn't bad enough to begin with...it's really incredible, the rate of breakdowns the 360 consoles have. I have a long-distance friend who's on his fifth console, believe it or not)

So I hope when you get it back, it's one with a Falcon. In fact, maybe you should even request a Falcon one be sent back to you, with your old hard drive contents intact.

I think I'm the only person left on the planet whose 360 didn't break. Got it 3 months after launch and it's been flawless ever since. Oh well carry on.

before i sent mine in, i called to update my current addres. everything was taken care of, but when i sent out my messed up 360 they sent the new one to my old address. well nobody lives at that address anymore, so i assume the PO sent it back, well microsoft has no record of my package, and they claim they didnt receive a phone call or anything validating my new address. yet when i check everything online, it is up to date. still to date, its been 3 months and im still waiting...bastards

Heh, all I've read is how in Canada they give you a refurb, and in the US they fix it. Either way, when I get the RROD again, there's no way I'm not going to ask for a new console with a Falcon in it. At this point, I'd rather not go through the troubles of them trying to track down my console and then re-work it, or whatever. I just want them to figure out where it is and get it to me as quick as possible.

[quote name='Kekumba']I just want to know how everyone else faired with getting their console repaired.[/quote]
I recorded the progress of my return just in case:

12/15/2007 -- RROD @ 2am

12/15/2007 -- Called 1-800-4MY-XBOX @ 1pm

12/16/2007 -- Received prepaid mailing label @ 3am.

12/17/2007 -- Shipped via UPS in my own packaging @ 5pm.

12/18/2007 -- Delivered via UPS to McAllen, Tx @ 10:55am

12/22/2007 -- Called in to check status of console @ 10:45pm; Current status: Shipped Fedex, received tracking number. Estimated delivery is 24th December from fedex.com

12/24/2007 -- Fedex package still in Ft Worth. Called fedex; will deliver 26th or 27th

12/26/2007 -- Fedex status lists as out for delivery. @ 2:30pm, missed delivery; @ 3:00pm, called driver, met for pickup

11 days turnaround. I saved a few days using my own packaging (had plenty from all the gifts around the holiday). The turnaround likely would have been 9 days if Fedex hadn't been slammed during Christmas.

[quote name='Nesmaster']The problem is, once they send you back a refurb you are doomed.[/quote]
But if you receive your original system, repaired, is that a refurb? I am pretty sure I received my original system. At least it's the same case and serial number.

I remember the first one I returned was sent back just as broken as when I sent it in. The next one was a refurbished one with a faulty disc drive. I've just sent that one in and am awaiting what will be my fourth (technically third I guess) 360.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had gotten more then 1 hour of playtime on the thing though.

I bought a used Xbox 360 off eBay (big mistake) back in June 2007. Worked once, then red rings. Called Xbox Support and they were supposed to send out this box so I could ship my 360 to them. A month later they called me and I told them I don't want to fix it anymore (cause I returned it and got a refund from the company I bought it from). After the phone call in June, nothing was done for me. They called me in July to confirm that I wanted to fix my broken 360 -_-

I've been going through much more garbage than you, unfortunately.

-Got 360 elite around late june
-Breaks down and stops reading discs around august (froze in the middle of BioShock, wouldn't read anything after booting up)
-Sent out Aug 23, 2007
-Receive a PREMIUM/PRO Xbox 360 on Sept 21, 2007
-Sent that xbox 360 out around November for an elite
-Within one week I got another PREMIUM/PRO

I'm only told now (was Jan 8th, 2008 to be exact) that they've sent out an elite for me. Sure I've had an xbox to play on for most of it but I've spent so much time calling and waiting for some service rep to contact me (which most of the time, never happened). It's pretty ****ing annoying.

I have over 100k gamerscore now... but I have a few consoles too so if one breaks I just use another one. I do have 2 PS3s too, but I only use them for bluray players right now and the occassional gaming. I have 2 PS3 games to my 100+ 360 games.

As for repairs, my various consoles have been replaced 6 times now, and it usually takes from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. However, I haven't had a replacement in over 8 months which is pretty good. I did buy extended warranties on all my boxes too though, just in case.

The newer ones really apparently don't break as often. I have the Halo console as well, and it's the quietest and coolest of the bunch, so I do believe they are starting to make things better finally. Hang in there!

I probably would call though if you sent in an elite to make sure you get an elite back. I'd be very upset if I sent in my elite or halo and didn't get the same back!

[quote name='Jeoff']I think I'm the only person left on the planet whose 360 didn't break. Got it 3 months after launch and it's been flawless ever since. Oh well carry on.[/quote]

can i join the club? also, i never had an original xbox break on me either :)

mine freezes up, but its because of damn xbox live.

I think if mine ever did break i would send it in, buy a new one than just sell my other one to my friends, heck since november 2006 mines been good so i dont see why it would break down now though.

I really do think Microsoft has gotten more sales because of how shoddy the Xbox 360 is. Doesn't necessarily mean profits though, they've spent a billion dollars on fixing RROD problems I've heard. But I've also heard of quite a few people that just went the PS3 route after dealing with Microsoft's BS.

2008/01/1017:30 Shipment In Transit
2008/01/1017:29 Picked up by Purolator

Well, the wait is over. No reason why I shouldn't have it tomorrow.

Fanatic much?
[quote name='mkrowe']I have over 100k gamerscore now... but I have a few consoles too so if one breaks I just use another one. I do have 2 PS3s too, but I only use them for bluray players right now and the occassional gaming. I have 2 PS3 games to my 100+ 360 games.

As for repairs, my various consoles have been replaced 6 times now, and it usually takes from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. However, I haven't had a replacement in over 8 months which is pretty good. I did buy extended warranties on all my boxes too though, just in case.

The newer ones really apparently don't break as often. I have the Halo console as well, and it's the quietest and coolest of the bunch, so I do believe they are starting to make things better finally. Hang in there!

I probably would call though if you sent in an elite to make sure you get an elite back. I'd be very upset if I sent in my elite or halo and didn't get the same back![/quote]

I went into the "Registration, Warranty and Repair Service for Devices" window off of Xbox.com and there's no serial number there now. Does that mean I'm going to recieve a whole now console or what?

My Nov 2005 unit died in mid Dec. I called and received the shipping box a few days later. Shipped it out the same day and received the replacement on Dec 24th. Exactly one week later.

[quote name='Kayden']Fanatic much?[/quote]
Uh, yeah a little! ;)

Good stuff on getting your box shipped back. Purolator isn't the best on updating the website that often, you'll probably have it before it says in transit, but it's better than Canada Post where the tracking shows up a week after you've received something.

[quote name='rkraupa']i have you beat bro...

13 xbox 360s in 43 days...

My story starts when futureshop had the free guitar hero 2 with xbox. I bought that, I got 3 red lights as soon as i turned iton. Returned it 2 hours later. Then got it again later that night, then returned it again

Long story short 2 tims they were making werid noises, 11 red lights. I said fuck the pro bundle and bought the arcade and havent had an issue with it :)[/quote]

You had 13 Xbox's in a row with RROD? That seems a little gratuitous to say the least. You sure you just didn't have the cable switch to the right output (HD compared to SD)? If it's on the wrong setting the Xbox will flash.

Got it back at about 3pm. Played Rock Band for a bit. :) Feels good to have it back after such a disappointing Christmas day.

[quote name='mkrowe']I have over 100k gamerscore now... but I have a few consoles too so if one breaks I just use another one. I do have 2 PS3s too, but I only use them for bluray players right now and the occassional gaming. I have 2 PS3 games to my 100+ 360 games.

I probably would call though if you sent in an elite to make sure you get an elite back. I'd be very upset if I sent in my elite or halo and didn't get the same back![/quote]
It's my goal to pass 100 000 gamerscore for 2008... I'm sure I'll be able to do that easily. :)

I myself have around 75 360 games to 6 PS3, 4 of which haven't even been put in the system yet. I'm thinking about grabbing another 360 for the HDMI output (and I already had one with HDMI, briefly), but I'll probably wait until I get a new tv before I do that again.

Of course. I won't be able to wait if my 360 dies, and will probably go out the same day and buy a new one. :p

Well xbox died on New Years. Called thrus...empty box came next thrus. Shipped it out and I should be getting it on monday or tuesday.

I live in Toronto.
The warehouse is in North York.

[quote name='Jeoff']I think I'm the only person left on the planet whose 360 didn't break. Got it 3 months after launch and it's been flawless ever since. Oh well carry on.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

[quote name='Kekumba']Got it back at about 3pm. Played Rock Band for a bit. :) Feels good to have it back after such a disappointing Christmas day.[/quote]

Did you receive a new/refurb, or did they repair the one you've got? I've had to send mine in twice now, and I still have my original 360.. I guess they "repaired" it twice, though obviously not very well the first time. I'd really rather just have gotten a different console.

[quote name='rodeojones903']On my refurb the drive sounds like ice in a blender. Its so loud and grinding that I almost don't like playing games on it.[/QUOTE]

My nephew had that same noise from his refurbished unit. The drive popped some time later. It took two weeks to get his coffin out, and he still needs to ship it.

After reading comments on various forums and looking at my nephew's ongoing saga (on his 5th 360 since launch), I think MS customer service for their $280+ doorstop has fallen into the deepest depths of hell.

MS needs to stop authorizing the distribution of refurbished non-Falcon units to customers. They should recycle them or something. It's just ridiculous how many problems people have with these things. Mine was freezing up a lot before I ditched it and got a Falcon. No problems yet.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']That really sucks for you. It also sounds kind of fishy that all of that success took place in such a short time. Maybe the lines of communication got crossed somewhere along the way? Who knows, maybe someone else is enjoying your X-Box right now.

Not being a troll or fanboy, but have you considered trading that X-Box in for a PS3? Current-gen X-Boxes are supposed to be really flaky anyway, aren't they? Might save you some future hassle.[/quote]

Yea, not to mention you won't get to paly the games that the 360 has... oh wait.

I wonder what the sales figures for 360s would look like if they factored in repeat purchases from people like me that bought one, had it die, returned it to the store and bought another.

[quote name='red flare graf']Did you receive a new/refurb, or did they repair the one you've got? I've had to send mine in twice now, and I still have my original 360.. I guess they "repaired" it twice, though obviously not very well the first time. I'd really rather just have gotten a different console.[/quote]
They repaired it. It has the same serial number and, whether it makes or difference or not, sounds much, much different.

bread's done
Back