The PSP-ported-to-PS2 thread -- Want GoW:CoO? Better look in to buying a PSP.

thelonepig

CAGiversary!
Feedback
530 (100%)
At the rate things are going on the porting from PSP to PS2 front, I'd have to say that there's a good chance the PS2 has a LOT of life left on it.

I figured it might be nice to have a thread where we can start up a list of ports.

Out Now
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 9/18/07
Twisted Metal: Head On 2/5/08
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon 2/12/08
Silent Hill Origins 03/04/08
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters 3/11/08

Upcoming
God of War: Chains of Olympus (rumored - 99.99999% NO.)

I want MGS: Portalable Ops even though it will never happen because then it will not be portable, but I would like to play all the MGS games without having to buy the PSP

[quote name='Mufasa']I want MGS: Portalable Ops even though it will never happen because then it will not be portable, but I would like to play all the MGS games without having to buy the PSP[/QUOTE]
ah but you wont get the wifi function, which is really fun. But it would be nice to use dual shock 2 as a controller.

If the ports are either equal value or better than the psp originals (such as how Head On is supposed to be) than I'm game. But none of the Syphon Filter "gut the multiplayer and still charge more for the game" kinda thing. I was also gonna mention the GTA City games except that even though they were downgraded from the psp versions at least they were released as budget titles.

As for the topic at hand , I hadn't heard that Size matters or Origins were coming to the PS2 , wonder how that's gonna turn out.

I'm beyond psyched for TM : Head On. I love it on PSP but my fingers can only endure 30 minute sessions. Using a real controller will make things much better.

It was pretty much the same with the GTA games. I had the first one on PSP but I really didn't like trying to play it with the PSP controls. When it came out on PS2, I was set.

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Anything to extend the life of the PS2 is a good thing in my books since I have just finally bought one now.[/quote]

Don't even worry about the current life of the PS2, if you just got one. There's enough of a library to keep you busy even if it "died" tomorrow.

[quote name='evyrew']It's pure rumor and speculation, but God of War: Chains of the Olympus and Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow could be ported over to the PS2 before the end of the year.

Source (I know it's not a reliable site, but it's worth mentioning):
http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-remember-this-in-this-country-they.html[/quote]

This would make perfect sense to port it this year, especially of GoW 3 is getting pushed until 2009.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I want Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles! With all these ports, I might not have to buy a PSP and just get a PS2 instead. :)[/QUOTE]

i second that.

make it so!!!!

[quote name='Halo05']I'm beyond psyched for TM : Head On. I love it on PSP but my fingers can only endure 30 minute sessions. Using a real controller will make things much better.
[/quote] I just played some TM2 because I was feeling nostalgic. It's the only TM game I own. I think I played TM3 somewhere but I don't really remember. It looks like a lot of people hate TM3 and 4. How do the rest of them stack up? (TM: Black, TM: Small Brawl, TM: Head On and I guess to a lesser extent TM 1)

All of these PSP->PS2 ports are getting me exited. But what does that say about Sony's faith in the PSP?

TM2 and TM Black are probably the best ones. TM Head On has the potential to be as good as any of them provided the controls on the PS2 are as good as Black's. 3 and 4 can be skipped and Small Brawl wasn't dark enough for my Twisted Metal tastes. It's been like 10 years since I played TM1 so I can't comment on it.

[quote name='Doomed']I just played some TM2 because I was feeling nostalgic. It's the only TM game I own. I think I played TM3 somewhere but I don't really remember. It looks like a lot of people hate TM3 and 4. How do the rest of them stack up? (TM: Black, TM: Small Brawl, TM: Head On and I guess to a lesser extent TM 1)[/quote]

Twisted Metal 3 was awful. The arenas were all basically big rectangles with no real design or any secrets. The weapons all seemed weak , the controls were terrible with the imfamous realistic driving that taking hard turns would almost always cause your car to flip over leaving you defenseless till you reverted. Oh yeah and ALL the character endings sucked , big time. I mean in TM 1 and 2 some characters got great wishes , and some got crap , in TM3 everybody got lame play on words "you got screwed" endings.

Supposivly TM4 was actually not that bad and featured a halfway decent Create a Car mode. But everyone was so turned off by TM3 that nobody even gave it a glance.

All of these PSP->PS2 ports are getting me exited. But what does that say about Sony's faith in the PSP?

Makes you really consider the rumors that sony is already working on a successor to the PSP , and that the PSP slim was just a stall tactic to try to rebound weak sales.

In fact I'll almost go as far as to say that since the ps2 seems to be facing better long term survival than the psp , that sony will feed the current psp fans to the hounds by porting any psp game of value to the ps2 to keep the ps2 alive and and then once the current psp really has nothing left to offer , sony will unveil the PSP2 with tons of improvement and all new hardware design to make everyone move forward.

But this is all just speculation on my part with no real data to back this up one bit.;)

To be fair though , I still wanna get a PSP eventually.

I didn't know those other games were getting ported, this is great. I played the two GTA's and they were pretty solid on PS2, and the price was right. Now I want Metal Gear: PO (don't care about the multiplayer for now, just want the story) and Castlevania. I would easily drop $20 on each one.

Twisted Metal Head On in a couple days. This is very nearly my most anticipated game for the first half of 2008. I hope I have as much fun with it as I did back when it first came out on PSP.

In case anybody hadn't heard , the latest EGM (and 1up) rumor mill also say that Chains of Olympus may be heading to the PS2 later this year. Not that that is really a big shock but it's still not a full conformation either.

[quote name='willardhaven']Crisis Core would be delightful.[/QUOTE]

And kill all my chances getting a PSP. That and Jeanne D'Arc would be the icing on the cake.

I would be shocked if Sony plans on releasing a sequel to the PSP considering in March It's only been three years that the system has been out. The DS has four years in October and It doesn't look like thats dying anytime soon either.

BTW the PS2 is going on 8 years in the US in October. Damn.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']And kill all my chances getting a PSP. That and Jeanne D'Arc would be the icing on the cake.

I would be shocked if Sony plans on releasing a sequel to the PSP considering in March It's only been three years that the system has been out. The DS has four years in October and It doesn't look like thats dying anytime soon either.

BTW the PS2 is going on 8 years in the US in October. Damn.[/quote]

True about the PSP being too young to probably kill off but to borrow comparrisons to other nintendo hardware. The GBC was only out for about 3 years before the Advance came along and the GBC died out not long after. On the other Hand the DS , as you said , is on it's third year going on fourth yet the Advance is still alive almost 4 years after the DS came out. To borrow numbers from the games sales thread. Last year the GBA still managed to sell 90K units. That's respectable I'd say.

This could give us two scenarios.
1)The PSP 2 is advertised as an "alternative" to the PSP. Much like the DS was an alternative to the GBA. In reality though the PSP2 is better in almost every way , but the keep the original alive as well to keep a choice there. Once the PSP is abandoned completly then they press ahead with the PSP2. This scenario could take awhile since of course comparing it to nintendo , the GBA is still alive , meaning the PSP could still live several years after the PSP2 comes out.

2)The PSP2 is advertised as an "upgrade" and a true future PSP. They keep the original alive until the PSP2 has a adequetly strong library and everything of real value from the PSP is either on the PSP2 now or has been ported to the PS2 , then they do away with it.

Anyway , again no truth to any of this , I'm just saying that it could happen.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I want Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles! With all these ports, I might not have to buy a PSP and just get a PS2 instead. :)[/quote]

Ditto me too, with Silent Hill Origins coming out, at least we know Konami isn't against the idea of doing it.

Fingers Crossed. Let's Hope So.

[quote name='StarKnightX']True about the PSP being too young to probably kill off but to borrow comparrisons to other nintendo hardware. The GBC was only out for about 3 years before the Advance came along and the GBC died out not long after. On the other Hand the DS , as you said , is on it's third year going on fourth yet the Advance is still alive almost 4 years after the DS came out. To borrow numbers from the games sales thread. Last year the GBA still managed to sell 90K units. That's respectable I'd say.

This could give us two scenarios.
1)The PSP 2 is advertised as an "alternative" to the PSP. Much like the DS was an alternative to the GBA. In reality though the PSP2 is better in almost every way , but the keep the original alive as well to keep a choice there. Once the PSP is abandoned completly then they press ahead with the PSP2. This scenario could take awhile since of course comparing it to nintendo , the GBA is still alive , meaning the PSP could still live several years after the PSP2 comes out.

2)The PSP2 is advertised as an "upgrade" and a true future PSP. They keep the original alive until the PSP2 has a adequetly strong library and everything of real value from the PSP is either on the PSP2 now or has been ported to the PS2 , then they do away with it.

Anyway , again no truth to any of this , I'm just saying that it could happen.[/QUOTE]

All good points and well written and non-flaming response to my post. I think the PSP2 will be point 1 and will kill the PSP1 over the course of a year much like the DS did.

Regardless, Sony has killed my interest in the PSP now (since I own a PS2) with all these ports to the PS2. I own a top of the line PC (well near top), PS2, XBox 360 , Wii and DS. Unlike some people I can actually wait on cgames to drop price/be ported to another system with all the choices I have, so owning a PSP to get games on day one doesn't seem economical to me.

Mack

Yeah, seems like Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot with the PSP to PS2 ports. I'm already not going to get God of War on PSP because of the rumor about the PS2 release. I've passed on used copies of Silent Hill Origins for the same reason. If someone (like me) rarely takes their PSP out of their home and has a PS2/3, there's no reason to get the PSP version of most of these games.

I refer to play these on my portable, but then again I'm biased towards portables vs. home consoles.

At least SNK is doing some things right in instead of releasing their games on one platform they do it on multiple ones at the same time ala Metal Slug Anthology or SNK Classics Vol 1.

Updated OP with release dates.

I'd also like to weigh in on the Silent Hill: Origins port. I picked the game up on Thursday and have been enjoying it immensely. I played through the hospital on my buddy's PSP a few months ago (and on an HDTV via PS3). The game works really well with the PS2 controller - much easier than the PSP analog nub.

If you liked Silent Hill 2, this game is very, very similar. It wasn't ground breaking per se, but it's certainly a return to form after SH4.

[quote name='thelonepig']Updated OP with release dates.

If you liked Silent Hill 2, this game is very, very similar. It wasn't ground breaking per se, but it's certainly a return to form after SH4.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I got pretty far into SH4 (never finished it, sold the XBox version and picked up the PC version which I'll do for all Silent Hills except this of course) and was only really annoyed by the ghosts, but it certainly was nothing compared to SH2.

I just don't know how much play time this will get with Smash Brothers Brawl and Vegas all coming out these two weeks. Damn you March!

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I just don't know how much play time this will get with Smash Brothers Brawl and Vegas all coming out these two weeks. Damn you March![/quote]

Don't worry too much about playtime. The game should only take you between 6 and 7 hours your first time through, but in SH tradition has 3 endings and a bevy of extra costumes and items.

Just found the following from Ready at Dawn's website, published 3/6/08.

Moving forward, we can confirm that Chains of Olympus will be our last PSP game as we’re moving on to other projects and other ideas on other consoles. We can also confirm that this will be our first and last God of War game as, just like Daxter before it, there will NOT be a PS2 port of the game. We like our games PSP exclusives
icon_smile.gif

Sorry guys, looks like this and Daxter are staying PSP exclusive.

[quote name='thelonepig']Just found the following from Ready at Dawn's website, published 3/6/08.

Sorry guys, looks like this and Daxter are staying PSP exclusive.[/quote]

I will cut my head off if Resident Evil 4 ever comes to the PlayStation 2.
- Shinji Mikami, director of Resident Evil 4

Doesn't bother me one bit that Daxter and GoW : CoO stay exclusive to the PSP. At least that way it gives me some excuse to actually get one.

Rachet and Clank: Size Matters has been ported. Any other games make the jump from PSP to PS2?

I'd like to see ported Namco Museum Battle Collection, Power Stone Collection, Gradius Collection, Crazy Taxi: Fare Wares, Kill Zone: Liberation, Loco Roco, and Patapon.

Still hoping for Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles! :)

Hmmm... I forgot about this thread. Nothing that I can recall since R&C : Size Matters. I wonder if Secret Agent Clank is going to get ported.

Bump

Updated, probably missing some. This list should cover ports/cross platform games on PSP, PS2, and possibly PS3, not general multiplatform releases.

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 6/6/06
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 3/6/07
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon 2/12/08
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters 3/11/08
Secret Agent Clank 5/26/09
Silent Hill Origins 03/04/08
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror 9/18/07
Twisted Metal: Head On 2/5/08

Upcoming
Motorstorm: Arctic Edge 10/20/09
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier 11/3/09

Not happening

God of War: Chains of Olympus
Daxter

Its good to see life is still being put into PS2 with PSP games. I would still buy PSP games for PSP, but its great to see a near 10 year old console still getting good quality games.

bread's done
Back