Metal Gear Solid 3 review

CaseyRyback

Staff member
Feedback
131 (100%)
First of all, this is my first review so please no bashing me (it is 3 AM and I have been playing MGS 3 for the past seven hours, so typos will be cleaned up in the morning)

*SPOILERS* anything in the trailers is fair game to be discussed in background. Key elements of the story will not be given up.

*STORY*
Onto the game. As you probably already know the game is set in 1964 and revolves around a new weapon called the shagohod that has the capability to launch nuclear weapons at America with ease. That is all I am going to say about the story. Suffice it to say, the game has one of the best stories ever for a video game. Most of the loose ends are tied up, and it really makes me want to go back and play the other games.

*GRAPHICS/SOUND*
The graphics are jaw-dropping. Probably the best that can be found on a PS2. Everything from the reflections on the water, to the bunnies hopping in the forest add such a sense of realism to the jungle that the world almost seems real. You even get a sense of the sunlight coming through the trees due to a light tinted yellow filter on the game in these areas.

To address the slowdown that many reviewers complained about, I found very little, and the slowdown I found was in areas that I could really care less about slowdown. By this I mean, the game hiccups on the survival viewer and codec sequences from time to time. The game will hang for a slight second a take a while to load these menus every once and a while (though it is really rare, the Major seems to be the worst in terms of loading).

As far as sound, the game sounds great as well. The soundtrack does what it is supposed to, and makes you feel in the 60's. Everything from the theme song and the "songs you get by using CQC in a certain way :wink: " all sound like they are taken from this era.

*GAMEPLAY*

Typical MGS gameplay with several new featues make the experience more fulfilling this time around. CQC is the new combat system that has been employed, and probably the best change the series has experienced yet. Slicing enemies throat's or using them as shields adds a new depth to the game, and makes things much more enjoyable. I probably killed myself 25 times, just from messing around with the CQC and using enemies as shields.

Aside from the CQC, the biggest change in the game comes from the new curing and eating aspects of the game. The curing system is more annoying than it is useful. You never run out of any type of medical supplies and generally interferes with the continuity of boss fights (constantly having to remove gunshots of tranq darts in the heat of battle really sucks). The hunting system is implemented a little better than the curing system. It is actually fun to hunt and scrounge for food. Killing animals is usually easy and pretty fun, but fuirt usually takes being shot out of a tree (wasting bullets suck) and the animals usually give more stamina than a piece of fruit (fruit also has a larger chance of tasting terrible IMO).

Camo also plays a big part, but I do not think the implementation of camo is all that big of a change to the series. Basically all it is, is a system that helps provide you better protection while in the enviroment. It gets old changing camo all the time, and comes off as a little annoying (like the curing system).

*CLOSING COMMENTS*

I do not want to give too much away as this is the best game I have played in years and I would hate to ruin it for everyone. The game is truely a work of art and redeems Kojima (I personally loved MGS2, but if you hated that one, give this one a try as it is vastly superior). The game is also very long. I think it took me like 20 or so hours to beat. This is with me screwing around plenty and killing as many people as possible/ and trying to find all the secrets (i.e. weapons and other items). If you played without screwing around, it would probably take 12-16 hours. Also, a major change in series is gameplay is the key focus. Cutscenes at the beginning and end are long, but most of the ones in the game are relatively short and never seem longer than 5 minutes.

There were few faults in the game overall and I feel that the good, far outweighs the bad. Makes me feel bad when you consider how overlooked this game is. I wish the hype was as great as it was for MGS 2, as it really does not deserve to be as overlooked as it is. IMO this is game of the year as far as consoles are concerned (HL2 is probably GOTY overall, although I have not played it).

Overall score for the game 9.8

not going to read your review because i'm in the middle of it but so far the game is pretty amazing IMO....i was scared that you were going to play as raiden!

best cut scenes ever

[quote name='vanlandw']not going to read your review because i'm in the middle of it but so far the game is pretty amazing IMO....i was scared that you were going to play as raiden!

best cut scenes ever[/quote]

wait until you get to the end. It is almost the perfect ending.

The only thing I disagree with was your view on the slowdown. Each time I had to use the codec, I would "lag". This also happened on the pause menus. The big problem I had with the game was the camera. The thing would switch between views too often, and snake would often stand and get caught when I had him try to crawl. MGS2 did not have these problems, and I can't see why they would appear now.

With that said, some will love it, but it I clearly prefer MGS2.

[quote name='manofpeace20']The only thing I disagree with was your view on the slowdown. Each time I had to use the codec, I would "lag". This also happened on the pause menus. The big problem I had with the game was the camera. The thing would switch between views too often, and snake would often stand and get caught when I had him try to crawl. MGS2 did not have these problems, and I can't see why they would appear now.

With that said, some will love it, but it I clearly prefer MGS2.[/quote]

I can totally understand your viewpoint, but CQC is so great that I do not mind dealing with all the problems. Now if they went and stuck CQC in MGS 2, I would be in heaven

I do think that they did a great job with the load times aside from those areas.

I havnt started it, I bought Metroid Prime 2 first started it and cant decide if I should have another game going. plus I need to finish Paper Mario 2...

The curing system seemed like a trial run anyways. Its a neat idea but the implementation of it and the fact that you can always bascially do it without running out of supplies is kinda cheap and annoying. Oh well, somewhat expected. You said that the hunting and stuff is fun? but is the experience or the integration of eating into the game nice or is it also kinda rocky like the curing? Thanx, I was thinking of picking this up soon but I dunno,might wait...?

Anyone notice the weird price for this at Best Buy? I was there today and they had it for $50.70. That is what the actual shelf tag said. There was another game that had a weird price like that but I can't remember what it was. Very strange.

On another note, I need this game but sadly, I must wait till it drops.

[quote name='coolieman2001']I just bought MGS 3, but i haven't played MGS 2 yet. Should i play MGS2 before i play MGS 3 ?[/quote]

It would probably make more sense to play them in that order

[quote name='coolieman2001']I just bought MGS 3, but i haven't played MGS 2 yet. Should i play MGS2 before i play MGS 3 ?[/quote]

I've only played Metal Gear Solid and Twin Snakes and I still enjoyed MGS 3 very much. If you plan on playing the whole series, you should do it in order, but if you're like me and don't have much time, it might be better to just skip over 2.

[quote name='Parathod'][quote name='coolieman2001']I just bought MGS 3, but i haven't played MGS 2 yet. Should i play MGS2 before i play MGS 3 ?[/quote]

I've only played Metal Gear Solid and Twin Snakes and I still enjoyed MGS 3 very much. If you plan on playing the whole series, you should do it in order, but if you're like me and don't have much time, it might be better to just skip over 2.[/quote]

2 is actually very very good, and you get more out of Snake Eater if you play it.

heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.
mgs 2 for example. the basic story of a shadow organization useing behavior patterns in humans & selective censorship to control history is a pretty good sory...and yet the bosses are....a fat guy on roller blades.....a bisexual vampire......and top it off with a final battle with dr. octipus meets tom cruise's last samuri. come on! the bosses in sonic adventure are more believeable than these guys!
not only that but all the plot twists...just when you think you know whats going on they switch feet and turn everything around on you. i wouldnt mind if this only happend once or twice but it happens so frequently that it comes off as just plain cheap

[quote name='masta0031']heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.
mgs 2 for example. the basic story of a shadow organization useing behavior patterns in humans & selective censorship to control history is a pretty good sory...and yet the bosses are....a fat guy on roller blades.....a bisexual vampire......and top it off with a final battle with dr. octipus meets tom cruise's last samuri. come on! the bosses in sonic adventure are more believeable than these guys!
not only that but all the plot twists...just when you think you know whats going on they switch feet and turn everything around on you. i wouldnt mind if this only happend once or twice but it happens so frequently that it comes off as just plain cheap[/quote]

What does MGS2 sucking have to do with a MGS 3 review?

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='masta0031']heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.
not only that but all the plot twists...just when you think you know whats going on they switch feet and turn everything around on you. i wouldnt mind if this only happend once or twice but it happens so frequently that it comes off as just plain cheap[/quote]

What does MGS2 sucking have to do with a MGS 3 review?[/quote]

Agreed every problem you state comes form the MGS 2.

I actually have a bit of am issue with the ending of MGS 3, though in an effort to keep this spoiler free I won't say.

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='masta0031']heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.

I was establishing the retarded plot twists as a trend. since both mgs2 and mgs3 suffer from them in my opinion. they are not quite as bad in 3, but still there were so many moments that just left me rolling my eyes

[quote name='masta0031'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='masta0031']heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.

I was establishing the retarded plot twists as a trend. since both mgs2 and mgs3 suffer from them in my opinion. they are not quite as bad in 3, but still there were so many moments that just left me rolling my eyes[/quote]

If you don't enjoy them then why play them. And 3's plot twists made plenty of sense and there were only about 3 or 4 major ones I can think of, hardly turning you around that frequently.

[quote name='masta0031'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='masta0031']heres my problem with the mgs 2&3. they needlessly complicate things. dont get me wrong, i love complex story lines. but there are just so many cheesy moments in these games it ruins it.

I was establishing the retarded plot twists as a trend. since both mgs2 and mgs3 suffer from them in my opinion. they are not quite as bad in 3, but still there were so many moments that just left me rolling my eyes[/quote]

Yeah, MGS2 had retarded plot twists but not 3. Everything clicked together so well once you see the ending and realize why everything happened as it did.

MGS2 is an awesome game. Go back and play it after you play the third one and it makes a lot more sense. I played it through again a few weeks ago, and it never seems to get old.

Also on the statement about the bosses, how is fighting someone who came back from the dead , someone who floats and harnesses the power of psychokenesis, and someone who has a Raven in his head that flies out all that different?

and it was not like plot twists in Metal Gear have not been there from the start. The first game pretty much turns you on your head when you find out who is running Outer Heaven. The Second game does the same, with Petrovich actually going to work for Big Boss, Grey Fox siding with big Boss, and Big Boss being your dad.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']MGS2 is an awesome game. Go back and play it after you play the third one and it makes a lot more sense. I played it through again a few weeks ago, and it never seems to get old.

Also on the statement about the bosses, how is fighting someone who came back from the dead , someone who floats and harnesses the power of psychokenesis, and someone who has a Raven in his head that flies out all that different?

Atleast they were not wearing roller blades.

and it was not like plot twists in Metal Gear have not been there from the start. The first game pretty much turns you on your head when you find out who is running Outer Heaven. The Second game does the same, with Petrovich actually going to work for Big Boss, Grey Fox siding with big Boss, and Big Boss being your dad.[/quote]

Yes they have always been there, but when the plot changes every 5 seconds its just too much.

But hey, this is just my opinion. i understand why alot of you like the series..i like it. infact i love it. the graphics, the game play, i was just pointing out some things that erk me.

I just finished MGS 2, great game. I'am gonna wait a few weks to play MGS3. My brain need a rest after the intense story in MGS2. I think an action game like Psi-Ops woulld be a good game to help with the recovery time

Pretty good review. I just beat it and it took me 25 hours to do so. That was my first time through, with the difficulty set to hard, and didn't do very much messing around. Now that I beat the game, along with the Monkey mode, I did a little more looking into what moves are at my disposal and have been enticed to start up a game set on extreme. I just got done putting another 2 hours into and am enjoying it even more than the first time around, now that I'm far more efficient. Great game. That was 25 hours in less than a week (maybe 5 days). This game had me gripped till the end.

I played the demo, and after reading your review, I'm even more excited to start the game.

I don't know why people hate MGS 2 so much... not only is it a blast to play, but it's an exercise in gaming psychology, and plays off of everything fans expect from a sequel.

I'm not going to say anymore for fear of spoiling things, but I'll say that to me, Kojima is a true visionary.

I haven't started 3 yet, I think I want to beat MGS2 again, because it confused the hell out of me at some points... If someone could send me a plot summary of MGS2 or a link to one that would be splendid.

Am I just about the only person (aside from my friend who played through the game with me) that though MGS3 sucked? Before you jump on me to yell at me, listen to my reasons...

First, the plot was RIDICULOUS. The shagohod is a useless weapon in an era of ICBMs. And don't say it is more mobile, because it needs a massive runway to have any effect. Missle silos ain't that big. Without giving away any spoilers, the ending was hilarious because Snake is a MORON. The betrayal he didn't see coming anyone else in the game saw coming a mile away.

Even little things about the plot suck. The game takes place in 1964, so why does the opening have a shot of a newspaper announcing the moon landing that happened 5 years later? And why, when I am trying to remain concealed, do I have to keep talking on my stupid radio? Can the guards just magically not hear me talking? Oh yeah, and why, just having finished a firefight, does the main female character strip down into a bikini top (aside from fan service)?

Oh yeah, and lest you think the engine of the game is good, try again. The new caution phase of the guards makes it so you find yourself hanging around for five minutes if you even think of screwing up stealth. Of course, stealth doesn't matter at all, since Snake can now take more bullets than Robo Cop. You can easily play through the game completely ignoring stealth with little to no difficulty. And you don't have to even bother with guns, since CQC lets you knock anyone out with one button press.

And heaven help you if you do get injured or need to change camo. Welcome to the crappy menus. Massive loading times (at least for something you need to use so often...it should have any load times as often as you will see it) await as you are constantly forced to change camo and stich up wounds. The funniest part of the wound healing is how completely unnesccesary it is to playing the game. I ignored it from about halfway through on, and had no difficulty because of it.

The only way I found this game to be any good was with a shotgun, watching it like the comedy it was. But then again, maybe someone else out there can take flying tanks seriously...

[quote name='boojiboy7']But then again, maybe someone else out there can take flying tanks seriously...[/quote]

Awww, sounds like somebody got beat down by a flying tank. Next time, try using a fly swatter; they drop like flies. (Ha, ha, ha I kill me. . .)

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='boojiboy7']But then again, maybe someone else out there can take flying tanks seriously...[/quote]

Awww, sounds like somebody got beat down by a flying tank. Next time, try using a fly swatter; they drop like flies. (Ha, ha, ha I kill me. . .)[/quote]

You gotta be kidding me...if anyone out there didn't crack up at volgin and his magic flying tank, they obviously need a better sense of humor.

[quote name='boojiboy7']Am I just about the only person (aside from my friend who played through the game with me) that though MGS3 sucked? Before you jump on me to yell at me, listen to my reasons...

First, the plot was RIDICULOUS. The shagohod is a useless weapon in an era of ICBMs. And don't say it is more mobile, because it needs a massive runway to have any effect. Missle silos ain't that big. Without giving away any spoilers, the ending was hilarious because Snake is a MORON. The betrayal he didn't see coming anyone else in the game saw coming a mile away.

Even little things about the plot suck. The game takes place in 1964, so why does the opening have a shot of a newspaper announcing the moon landing that happened 5 years later? And why, when I am trying to remain concealed, do I have to keep talking on my stupid radio? Can the guards just magically not hear me talking? Oh yeah, and why, just having finished a firefight, does the main female character strip down into a bikini top (aside from fan service)?

Oh yeah, and lest you think the engine of the game is good, try again. The new caution phase of the guards makes it so you find yourself hanging around for five minutes if you even think of screwing up stealth. Of course, stealth doesn't matter at all, since Snake can now take more bullets than Robo Cop. You can easily play through the game completely ignoring stealth with little to no difficulty. And you don't have to even bother with guns, since CQC lets you knock anyone out with one button press.

And heaven help you if you do get injured or need to change camo. Welcome to the crappy menus. Massive loading times (at least for something you need to use so often...it should have any load times as often as you will see it) await as you are constantly forced to change camo and stich up wounds. The funniest part of the wound healing is how completely unnesccesary it is to playing the game. I ignored it from about halfway through on, and had no difficulty because of it.

The only way I found this game to be any good was with a shotgun, watching it like the comedy it was. But then again, maybe someone else out there can take flying tanks seriously...[/quote]

I think someone never played a Metal Gear game and did not know what to expect.

The series is not based in reality, but based on being like a B action movie. The plow was a standard Metal Gear plot, meaning lots of twists and turns. Sure you knew who Big Boss was, but there was no way you saw the ending a mile away. No way you knew the role that all the characters played. Also the only reason there was even a hint given on the story was that people bitched about the shitty story in Metal Gear Solid 2. And as far as the moon in the beginning, the 60's was the era of the space race and is supposed to show the nature of the relationship between the US and the USSR (the Cuban Missle Crisis is also mentioned for this reason).

Metal Gear is meant to be enjoyed by both novices and tactical espionage action buffs. That is why you find all of the bullets and health everywhere. If you want to use the them, they are there, but if you want to play the game as it was truely designed, then you do not use your tranq. gun and focus solely on sneaking.

The load times were not all that bad. The in game load times were as good as always, and yea the game stuttered sometimes in the in-game menu, but I fail to see how big of a deal it was.

and you mention the humor, and that has always been there, which backs up my claim that you are new to Metal Gear.

See, this si funny. You assume that the sole reason I didn't like the game was being new to metal gear, which I am not. I played through one, loved it. Despite what a lto of people say about 2, I love it (raiden included). And yes, I know there is humor in the MGS series, and I appreciate it. The problem with 3 is that the humor is completely unintentional. The entire premise, which the game makes out to be very serious, is actually hilarious. The game's theme song ? "someday, you might feed on a TREEEE FROOOOGGG!" HA HA HA! See, the problem in 3 is nothing is serious. The entire game is a long joke. Even the ending, which some gamers have said is perfect, is hilarious. Snake isa dumbass for not seeing the obvious "plot twist" coming a mile away, and the final fight that the whole game has built up to is laughably easy (HINT: Walk up and slap her around, then shoot her on the ground, with a tranq or a real gun, doesn't matter). No, see, I failed to appreciate the humor in this game because it was usually not intentional at all. I mean, I wiped out half the russian army by grabbing their wrists and throwing them on the ground? Please...

Aggg, I could go on and on, but trust me, this doesn't come from me not liking MGS. What it comes from is my view that Kojima made this game as the joke that it is, since he didn't like the reaction people had to 2, and didn't want to make another MGS game in the first place. Hence, when Konami dragged him back in, he made the game people wanted, which is not what he wanted. He made his game with 2, and saw the backlash, hence made this game as a punishment to the world. It is just funny to see people lap it up.

[quote name='boojiboy7']

Kojima made this game as the joke that it is, since he didn't like the reaction people had to 2, and didn't want to make another MGS game in the first place. Hence, when Konami dragged him back in, he made the game people wanted, which is not what he wanted. He made his game with 2, and saw the backlash, hence made this game as a punishment to the world. It is just funny to see people lap it up.[/quote]

See, I didn't really like MGS 3 either. To be fair, I despised the second one(Bisexual vampires, dead men running the country, CG Colonel Campbell, EEEEVIL MIND CONTROLLING ARM, and bullet dodging maidens included. However the end Metal Gear fight was reasonably cool. ) and thought the 1st one was mildly entertaining(at least the PSX version, in which the only character that made me groan was Psycho Mantis unlike the GC remake). The theory set forth above has validity, but I don't think Kojima meant it as a joke. I honestly think he either:
A. Sucks at what he does
B. Has gone insane
I found MGS3 amusing for about the first 4 hours or so, but then it began to wear on my nerves. The boss fights were pitifully easy, and I managed to snag everyone's camo with relative ease. I gues it's just, maybe I didn't like the characters in this one either. Ocelot was kinda cool, but I think THE PAIN really ruined it for me, not to mention the *spoiler* giant flaming head that chases you around at the end of the Fury's fight *end spoiler*. And is it just me, or does Kojima have some weird obsession with bisexual main characters?

I don't think it is just Kojima's Obsession. Look at a lot of the FF games to see even more, and then look at the first Japanese novel (and arguably the first in the world) The Tale of Genji. I think it jus a Japanese cultural difference.

The reason I think the game is a joke is based on a few things. One, Tim, over at insertcredit.com, actually knows and regularly enough talks to Kojima about his games. Originally, Kojima wanted to make 3 so that whenever you died, that was it. GAME OVER. Thankfully for most people, he was talked out of this, and I think that in being talked out of it, he decided to go the opposite way, making the game RIDICULOUSLY easy. I think in Kojima's mind, MGS2 was a great game (which I can at least some degree agree with), but he wanted to try something different with 3, and once that got shot down, he decided to give in and give people exactly what they wanted, which turned out to be, well, a big steaming pile of crap.

I know, I'm kinda late to this thread, but I beat this game a couple months ago, and I loved it. It's definately one of the best games I have ever played in my life.

I never played 1 (though I have the PS version and the Gc version), I love 2, but 3 just blew me away. Once you got into it, it was hard to stop playing. There were so many things that were integrated so awesomely in the game, and the boss battles were awesome fun.

The Boss Fights Were Not Easy...i am stuck fighting Colonel Volgin, on extreme mode, with only one life med, and i have no lethal ammo

best game ever, i find that you could play it anyway you liked. If blasting your way threw the game was your prefernce, so be it. its your 50 bucks to waste and if you feel rushing threw everything is the best thing, then good for you.

I recently got a PS2 and have collected all the MGS games. Is it that much better to play them in order? Because I'm kinda excited to jump right in to 3, with it being the newest and all. But maybe I should start with the old one and reward myself with 3. but will 1 and 2 seem that much crappier if I play them later? thoughts?

i have all mgs and there awesome there coming out with mgs 3 subsistence this year i can't wait and have you seen the mgs4 video that is funny.

bread's done
Back