Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

Halo05

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
UPDATE: MSRP is $29.99
Amazon

According to Play-asia, the US is getting a collection of the three MGS games in March. I was browsing PS2 preorders when I noticed this...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-fe-49-en-70-2jtb.html

If they're right, and it includes the enhanced versions of MGS 2/3, it's a really good deal at 30-35 dollars. I'll probably skip it as I still have the Substance/Subsistance versions on PS2 but for anyone scouring eBay for them, you should probably wait.

I haven't really looked around for further confirmation but PA is a damn good store and unless it gets cancelled by Konami, I'd say it's confirmed.

I'll probably get this as I don't have MGS2: Substance. Now if I could only find MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition. Can't wait for MGS4 it's gonna be amazing.

After searching online, Play-Asia is the only one to have any information on this. Rumors are spreading like wildfire though...

Personally, I see Konami holding off until MGS4 and trying to get people to buy the bundle along with it.

[quote name='thelonepig']After searching online, Play-Asia is the only one to have any information on this. Rumors are spreading like wildfire though...

Personally, I see Konami holding off until MGS4 and trying to get people to buy the bundle along with it.[/quote]

well their original plan was to have the bundle in before MGS4 was out so people could play it. why would they hold off until MGS4 was out?

i think it would work better cause it would promote MGS4 as a reminder
and it would allow people who have never played to series to get into it before one of the biggest games for ps3 is coming out

there was an article ont his for the japanese counter-part of this
http://kotaku.com/gaming/kojima-productions/metal-gear-box-set-doubtful-for-2007-313159.php

D'oh!

I just bought a used copy of Subsistence for about $22 last month so I could keep my LE Subsistence sealed. :lol:

This looks like a pretty nice package though.
Might get one just as a collectible.

Assuming Play-asia doesn't change their price, I bet buying it from a US retailer will be cheaper. If you look around PA, their prices on US releases are generally $5 higher than retail. Plus shipping can get expensive. I suppose that's why I didn't put this in the deals section to begin with. It'll be a deal when (if) Circuit City or Target has it $5 less than everyone else whenever it comes out.

Hmmm, I wonder if Amazon will have it. PA usu puts these things at $5 more (as someone else stated) and paying for shipping on top of that could be a mistake...

[quote name='mitch079']Hoping it contains the LE discs from MGS2 and MGS3.[/QUOTE]

It says "Director's Cut" for MGS2:S and MGS3:S.

Wtf knows what really means.

I already own everything in this set, but I could see myself picking this up. Then again, I would probably buy an empty cardboard box with the words "Metal Gear Solid" written on it.

Let me know when Play Asia has that in stock.

[quote name='prateeko']Hmmm, I wonder if Amazon will have it. PA usu puts these things at $5 more (as someone else stated) and paying for shipping on top of that could be a mistake...[/QUOTE]

That's true for people in the US, but for those of us in Japan, the extra $5 with free shipping is a great deal! :D

I guess I'll have wait for this to be released instead of buying a copy of MGS 3. I don't really care if it is MGS 3: Subsistance or Snake Eater included. I already have MGS 2: Substance on Xbox. :)

[quote name='PJV9126']I'll probably get this as I don't have MGS2: Substance. Now if I could only find MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition. Can't wait for MGS4 it's gonna be amazing.[/QUOTE]

I had SEALED MGS3: Sub LE VERSION w/ Special DVD. How much you wanna pay for it?

[quote name='Masterkyo']I had SEALED MGS3: Sub LE VERSION w/ Special DVD. How much you wanna pay for it?[/QUOTE]

I'll give you $6000.

God dammit. I just got Substance for less than $30 (nice and mint, too) and an EB games a month ago.

But, this is a great release that I will probably buy just because I love the MGS series. Although, I wish they would add a few extras like the complete MGS collection Japan got.

Ordered, if only for MGS1. I sold my copy a couple years back for MGS: Twin Snakes, but it's nice to have the original. I already have MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence, but I guess I could get rid of those. A bit odd that play asia of all places is taking the pre-orders...'cause you know, they're kind of an import store. Hopefully GameStop will eventually sell this so I can get my employee discount.

To those who missed them i nthe last tread:

[COUPON CODES]

Both expire 1/31.

RE-TAI-LAA $5 off $50 multi
RE-TAI-LAB $10 off $100 multi

The only way i'd buy this is if it included Existence. Thats all I really desire from those three installments. I already have The Twin Snakes (which I highly doubt is the version of MGS included in this), MGS2, 2: Substance, and MGS3.

Judging from the description, I'd wouldn't put my hopes up for anything further than the bare bones Subsistence. If someone finds out Existence is included, please let me know.

Wow. Considering the Subsistence comes with MG & MG2, you're ostensibly getting every canon MGS game, save for PO, in one pack. For $39, definite good deal.

Don't own any of the MGS games so this sounds perfect to me. Typically these trilogy bundles for PS2 bundles go for $30 don't they (DMC, GTA)? I'd imagine this will go down to that. Might as well wait for Amazon to stock it and get the no tax and free shipping.

It's amazing that an overseas store would have this release info well before American stores would and before Konami USA would officially.

I'll probably buy one for full price and then wait for it to go down to buy a second one to keep sealed. Just because I'm an MGS fanboy.

Easy to beat without worrying about getting spotted too much or killing too many guys, very hard to beat perfectly.

oh nice, i was going crazy trying to find the special ps2 editions of mgs2 and 3 at local gs's last week with the 25% off used ps2 sale... this sure saves me the trouble...

[quote name='Doomed']I wonder if MGS 1 will work on a PS1... :/[/quote]

Yes. It's still a Playstation game. They just put it in a DVD case. If you look closely at the top of the box, it says Playstation, not Playstation 2.

Oh goodie. Thanks OP. Needed Part 1 and Part 2, so I guess I'm in. Heh...probably going to end up keeping this one sealed.

I have all 3 on different systems to get the best quality.

I so wanted a package like this.

Is the first one the reworked Gamecube Twin Snakes thing? I like the mechanics and graphics alot more than the original.

[quote name='shadowrage']I have all 3 on different systems to get the best quality.

I so wanted a package like this.

Is the first one the reworked Gamecube Twin Snakes thing? I like the mechanics and graphics alot more than the original.[/QUOTE]
the first one is the original PS1 version. While the gamecube version has better graphics, some still prefer the original with superior voice acting and music.

[quote name='phattsoe']oh nice, i was going crazy trying to find the special ps2 editions of mgs2 and 3 at local gs's last week with the 25% off used ps2 sale... this sure saves me the trouble...[/QUOTE]

Why are these so hard for people to find? I see them all the time at my local used game stores.

I'm wondering the same thing too. I see a few copies of Substance here and there, but I barely see Subsistence.

sometimes you can find them, but the price hurts the wallet (we're cags, after all). i think substance goes for at least $25 in store. finding a complete, mint copy is even harder. having a compilation is a good way to readily find the games, and the price tag is attractive.

Man I REALLY want this, but I have spent quite a bit on the essentials lately and have none left for this. But man I want this. It's too bad Konami won't just give us a full 20th anniversary collection like they do in Japan...I would charge that mutha in a second.

FYI to some people who asked, this set only contains the 3 games. no extra LE discs.

i'll pick it up when it comes Stateside for the PS2 version of Substance. that's the only version i'm missing. i settled for the xbox version when it was $10 new way back.

[quote name='chunlirocks']So no PSP to PS2 ports in this collection ?[/quote]

I wish, haha. I tried playing Portable Ops but I LOATHED the controls and gave up after about 4 hours.

Sorry for noob question, but does this package contain full game of MGS2 sons of liberty, and snake eater or is it just substance? I am confused sorry... :p

bread's done
Back