I need some help on a bad seasonal work situation

I started a seasonal job at SuperTarget last Wednesday, and I truly found a job I cannot stand. Let me explain. (The following is my reasoning, skip to last paragraph for the help i request)

I was hired to work on the sales floor, which I was told would be work out of the back room and transport items for stocking. On Saturday, I go in for training and I politely told the main desk "Hi, I am training with Jim today". They said he was actually behind the desk and pointed him out. He was with a group of people that were talking. I looked up and saw him grumble and walk off. The lady at the main desk said "Jim, you need to be nice" and repeated herself about 5 times. He eventually said "fine" in a very pissed off tone. So I knew this would be a fun training session.

The whole day, Jim used a whole bunch of target special terms, which I had no idea what they meant, and whipped through "training". Naturally, I had alot of questions. I guess I pissed him off, and he told me to stock some rack. So I do as I was told, and I seriously turned my back on him for 5 seconds and he disappeared. The whole day, he would vanish without a trace, and briefly reappear for a few minutes. At one point, he was around other workers, and I got the distinct impression they were talking behind my back. Although I cannot prove it, its a gut feeling I'm rarely wrong on. Due to his negligence as a trainer, I took my 2 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch on my own. The whole day, I have no idea what I am doing and just try to look busy. Very frustrating day for me because I try to give 110% at the workplace, and didn't like what happened.

The next day (Sunday) I show up and I'm not sure what to do. I hunt down Jim again, and he says to work in the FEMALE DRESSING ROOM AREA restocking stuff they left behind when they tried them on. I don't know about alot of you, but I felt very uncomfortable being the only male working the area and having a whole bunch of ladies looking at me like I'm some kind of freak. I'm a pretty friendly guy, and I started talking to this coworker working the area named Lindsey who worked there for 3 months. So she played the role of my trainer and I ended up asking her all sorts of stuff. Another lady working the area said "you should take it easy before we get busy, so just sit down and learn the ropes from Lindsey." The lady at this point walks away. About a minute later, Jim comes back and he is pissed at us because the lady that told us to sit and take it easy told him it "bothered her a trainee was sitting around doing nothing". Lindsey stuck up for us, but I was stunned. Why would someone try to purposely get me in trouble? About an hour later when we were alone, Lindsey said Jim complained to her that I took all my breaks on Saturday without telling him. I admitted I was wrong for that, but I didn't know where he was most of the day, and I had to eat. I confronted Jim, and he said to tell him from now on. When I told him he is never around, he just walked away from me. The whole rest of my day was full of constantly cleaning out a women's fitting room.

This was not what I was hired to do and POLITELY told Jim I was not comfortable cleaning the female fitting rooms. He said I would probably be moved, but was unsure because I do a good job (5 people work the area and only me an Lindsey actually work. She has the same complaint) Even if I did get moved, I would have no idea what I would be doing because I wasn't adequately trained. Funny thing is, the other new people brought in with me have different trainers, and I see them being trained on what I was supposed to be doing. They are learning the scanners and codes and all that good stuff. Meanwhile, I'm toiling in hell.

I absolutely hate this place and things don't look to improve anytime soon. My schedule during Thanksgiving is Friday 6AM-2:30PM, Saturday 5pm-close, and Sunday 8am-4:30pm. The problem with closing on Saturday is that the store zones all their stuff, and they said to expect to be done by 2am. The simple fact I cannot stand 5 hours of working at this place is not going to get better by working longer hours with little sleep from Saturday to Sunday.

I know the simple solution would be to talk to a higher up about it, but nothing is going to change the fact I been thinking about this alot since Saturday, and I realize I cannot stand being lied to about my job description and being treated like an outcast. Considering I already have a regular job where I am treated with dignity, I am willing to sacrifice the extra cash I would make at this seasonal job to leave now. I am scheduled to work tomorrow from 9am-2pm and I am 'training", even though I am not even being trained. Would it be wrong to call at about 8am and tell them I am leaving since I am technically a trainee?

Wow dude...wow. It won't look good, but I could hardly blame you for doing so. I mean, they'll be counting on you...but I work at a TRU, and we have few enough employees that there aren't any nameless, faceless masses. Maybe you won't be missed there, I don't know.

That really sucks dude.

your trainer sucks, man. it's kind of funny that he's being designated as a trainer, because supposedly not just anyone can be a trainer. my advice to you (if you want to stay) is to go straight to the team relations etl (who probably interviewed you for the job) and let her/him know what the situation is. if you're just looking to better equip yourself for the job, i don't see why they'd mind switching to a better trainer. in fact, i would assume that actively seeking better training looks better for you in the eyes of management.

i was hired for electronics last year, but they passed me around so much that first week. on my first day, there was a mixup and they put me with the trainer for the stock room. after figuring that mess out, my official trainer was feeling lazy, so she told me to "cashier train for the whole day." it takes maybe less than an hour or two to learn all there is to know about cashiering, but she put me there for 8 hours.

so basically, my advice is: if you're gonna quit, just quit. you have no idea how many seasonal workers decide to quit within the first week. it's nothing to be embarrassed about. it's an evaluation period for target AND yourself. they put all new members on a separate schedule because of this. if you're gonna stay, ask for another trainer. but let them know that you tried to work with this person. you can trust that shit gets a LOT easier later on.

i'll be honest though... if they hadn't promoted me, i would've quit by now.

You could take these guys advice and just quit, or you could tough it out, work, and gain valuable experience. There is NOTHING like working through a season (especially at retail stores like Target or, in my case, EB). You do have a bad trainer. I'd go to someone higher up concerning that.. but don't let one asshole ruin your income.

The reason I don't feel too horrible about considering quitting is because they announced on Saturday they hired over 100 new people in the past 2 weeks and more were coming. They even told us we likely will only be known through our badges by the majority of the workers.

This guy Jim was recently promoted, so he probably thinks he is the shit. And with so many new people, he likely did not want to deal with another one of the hundred seasonal workers.

Scorch, I worked through 2 holiday seasons at Kohls, and this job feels nothing like the seasonal atmosphere of Kohls. They were busy, but we had good times, and I met my girlfriend of 4 years there. I worked since I was old enough to work legally at 15, and I know when I am being wronged by other parties. Yet, while the trainer is a big reason, I just hate my job and dealt with enough so far in my life that I really don't want or need another. At least I could take fall mini-mester or get some rest, so its not a complete loss.

Try and talk to someone above Jim and end let them know that if the situation doesn't change, you're leaving. Maybe they don't need you, but that will make it all the easier to leave. If they do need you, they'll do what it takes to fix it.

[quote name='Scorch']Oh. Well, then quit already :p You know how "fun" working retail can be at Christmas already.[/quote]

Were you trying to trick him into working Christmas retail? That's low man. :lol:

Yeah, I'm definitely quitting if my last reply didn't already give away my answer. When you think to yourself "I would stop playing video games for a year to get away from the job", I think the time has come to quit.

Led, I am telling management why I am leaving, and I will tell them my trainer was horrible. But I am leaving regardless.

[quote name='manofpeace20']Yeah, I'm definitely quitting if my last reply didn't already give away my answer. When you think to yourself "I would stop playing video games for a year to get away from the job", I think the time has come to quit.[/quote]

You sound like R's F. He always said that working in a game store was the best way to ruin his favorite hobby. In a way, he's right.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='manofpeace20']Yeah, I'm definitely quitting if my last reply didn't already give away my answer. When you think to yourself "I would stop playing video games for a year to get away from the job", I think the time has come to quit.[/quote]

You sound like R's F. He always said that working in a game store was the best way to ruin his favorite hobby. In a way, he's right.[/quote]

Nah, I was saying that hypothetically. I still love my games, but women's clothing, I hate it more than ever!

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='manofpeace20']Yeah, I'm definitely quitting if my last reply didn't already give away my answer. When you think to yourself "I would stop playing video games for a year to get away from the job", I think the time has come to quit.[/quote]

You sound like R's F. He always said that working in a game store was the best way to ruin his favorite hobby. In a way, he's right.[/quote]

Nah, I was saying that hypothetically. I still love my games, but women's clothing, I hate it more than ever![/quote]

I know. But I think R's F would have made that bargain to get away from GS. :lol:

[quote name='Free Artest']Quit[/quote]

Artest should have got a 25 game suspension with the others. Any word on what will happen to those bastard fans?

Not to be mean or anything, but do you need someone to still hold your hand when you cross the street?

Working at Target is just about the easiest, most self-explanatory job I've ever had. Plus there's so many people there that if (like in your case) one person won't help you, another one will. Instead of quitting why not switch to the night crew? You don't have to deal with customers, you get paid more, and (at least at the Target I work at) almost everyone is way more laid back.

Of course if you do still quit, which it seems as though that is what you're going to do anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. People come and leave Target all the time. One person really doesn't make a big difference, especially if it's someone that was just hired.

If you are 100% sure you're quitting though my advice is to get on the wave (the little car thing that people zoom around on and use to put stock on the risers) and run over Jim.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='Free Artest']Quit[/quote]

Artest should have got a 25 game suspension with the others. Any word on what will happen to those bastard fans?[/quote]

I agree. Yeah, I guess the police chief used to be neighbors with the jackass that threw the beer and recognized him, AND he also has criminal record. He was denying he threw it on ESPN but afterwards they showed a video and you could clearly see him doing it. My guess is jailtime for him. He has already lost his season tickets and has been banned from the stadium.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Not to be mean or anything, but do you need someone to still hold your hand when you cross the street?

If you are 100% sure you're quitting though my advice is to get on the wave (the little car thing that people zoom around on and use to put stock on the risers) and run over Jim.[/quote]

My mom still holds my hand.............seriously, I asked several times what my exact job description is but its very unclear. And it was my first time ever on a sales floor, and I didn't know how to do what they normally do. Hence, I'm a trainee. As for Jim, I was thinking of sticking him in their cardboard crushing machine.

Artest, at least that prick fan is being punished. Either way, maybe he can appeal for a reduced suspension?

Well see that's because at Target there is no real job description, it's more or less unsupervised chaos, so just find something to do and do it for awhile. Sales floor is probably one of the easiest things too, my in-bred roommate works sales floor, if he can figure it out, I'm sure you can too. Although our team lead for Sales floor is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet... so that might be why he can do it. I only was a "trainee" for one day as well... so I'm struggling to grasp your whole situation. Of course if you're hell-bent on quitting it really doesn't matter does it?

Either way good luck sticking the guy in the "cardboard crushing machine" it's got too many gates and things attempting to prevent injury. I'm telling you just grab the wave and flatten him, he'll never expect it.

And Artest can appeal til he turns blue in the face, just like Sprewell, but the NBA is making an example and he won't play again until October at the earliest.

I see you've made up your mind already and you really don't need me to tell you to quit or stay. I'd say talk to a higher power and get trained by a different person. Tell them what a terrible trainer this guy is and that he himself should be quitting. (I'm guessing you'll be telling them about lack of being a good trainer if you quit anywyays.) If they wouldn't agree to that, then I'd quit.

[quote name='Free Artest'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='Free Artest']Quit[/quote]

Artest should have got a 25 game suspension with the others. Any word on what will happen to those bastard fans?[/quote]

I agree. Yeah, I guess the police chief used to be neighbors with the jackass that threw the beer and recognized him, AND he also has criminal record. He was denying he threw it on ESPN but afterwards they showed a video and you could clearly see him doing it. My guess is jailtime for him. He has already lost his season tickets and has been banned from the stadium.[/quote]

It's the county prosecutor.
If you're going to make your avatar and base your image off of a specific situation, you should at least FOLLOW the proceedings.

His name is David Gorcyka, and he's been the Oakland county prosecutor for quite a while now.
By the way, before you start crowing to loud about that, realize that Gorcyka is already on record saying that it's likely that charges are going to be brought against the Pacers that attacked the fans.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='Zenithian Legend']Not to be mean or anything, but do you need someone to still hold your hand when you cross the street?

If you are 100% sure you're quitting though my advice is to get on the wave (the little car thing that people zoom around on and use to put stock on the risers) and run over Jim.[/quote]

My mom still holds my hand.............seriously, I asked several times what my exact job description is but its very unclear. And it was my first time ever on a sales floor, and I didn't know how to do what they normally do. Hence, I'm a trainee. As for Jim, I was thinking of sticking him in their cardboard crushing machine.

Artest, at least that prick fan is being punished. Either way, maybe he can appeal for a reduced suspension?[/quote]

He doesn't deserve a reduced suspension. He broke A HUGE Taboo.
What do you expect to happen when a player jumps into the stands?
He attacked the wrong people. He's a loose cannon and BAD for basketball.
I'm glad he's gone for the season, and I hope Gorcyka and the county prosecutors office can put together a couple of charges that will stick.
Considering what's on video, it doesn't look like it will be that hard.

Violence is never the answer. Not for you, not for Artest.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Instead of quitting why not switch to the night crew? You don't have to deal with customers, you get paid more, and (at least at the Target I work at) almost everyone is way more laid back. [/quote]

That is 100% true, at least at the Target I work at. The overall atmosphere is better since there aren't any customers that might bother you, and everyone is more laid back. There may be more work, but the pay is a bit more.

I still think the expression on that guy's face right before he gets hit is classic.

Now I am a devout pacer fan and to make a long story short, yeah he was wrong, but he won't be serving jail time (rich & famous) he'll get a fine if that, and possibly a law suit which may win but not likely.
But who doesn't like a good brawl, even if it is the fans, I mean up until last week, my favorite sports event was the NY and BRS throw down in the middle of the field. Pandimonium is entertaining and if I saw a guy as big as Artest coming at me, I would be outta my seat in a second.

now on topic:
I can definitely see your reasoning for aggrivation but if you go to management and catch someone at a good time a new trainer switch might be better for you than quitting, I mean money is money.

Quit, retail sucks....I did it when I HAD too....was kinda in between jobs, and it was there, plus Iw as going to college full time.

When I got a REAL job again, I kinda just stopped going to my retail job (yes, it was wrong...but I did tell them that I had to quit because of my other job)

I think it should be mandatory that all people work at least one Retail x-mas season. People would be alot compassionate if they knew what retailers had to endure during the holidays. Sometimes I think the adults act more childish than the children. :roll:

And to the OP; If you think Target is bad, my 1st day at EB was the day that the N64 got launched! Pandemonium!!!

Ok, I'm officially done with Target. I told them I am quitting, and all they did was ask for my full name and said good luck. Apparently, they weren't bothered, which is what i expected anyway.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Did you atleast knock over a display or something when you left?[/quote]

at least go tap that honey you were working with

You should've stayed long enough to mess with Jim. If he's that high strung and easily irritated, I'm sure you could've found something to make him snap. Since it was already pretty obvious you couldn't use that job as a good reference anyway, I would've had some fun...

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You should've stayed long enough to mess with Jim. If he's that high strung and easily irritated, I'm sure you could've found something to make him snap. Since it was already pretty obvious you couldn't use that job as a good reference anyway, I would've had some fun...[/quote]

Nah, I'm a pretty professional person. It's not my style to knock over display cases or harrass people that give me a hard time. If I did decide to stay, I might have asked really stupid questions, like "does this bra go in the boys department?".

As for the girl, I am already taken, so I wouldn't do it. She was hot, but no.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You should've stayed long enough to mess with Jim. If he's that high strung and easily irritated, I'm sure you could've found something to make him snap. Since it was already pretty obvious you couldn't use that job as a good reference anyway, I would've had some fun...[/quote]

Nah, I'm a pretty professional person. It's not my style to knock over display cases or harrass people that give me a hard time. If I did decide to stay, I might have asked really stupid questions, like "does this bra go in the boys department?".

As for the girl, I am already taken, so I wouldn't do it. She was hot, but no.[/quote]

I'm certainly not suggesting knocking over a display case or harassing the dude outright. Gotta be clever and non-harmful, subtle where you can. I can't really think of anything particularly funny off-hand, but something like moving an FDS display near the women's dressing room, asking Jim where they store the extra douche, etc.

FYI -

If anybody else ever finds themselves in this position you should call HR. That's their whole job, to make sure employees act right and are treated properly. They don't want you to quit because it costs time, money, and effort to interview, do background checks, and train you. They also don't want their "trainers" to do a crappy job because they know it will drive away good employees and result in inefficiency in hiring, training, etc. as mentioned above.

The HR Department can be your best friend or worst enemy depending on whether you are on their good side or bad side. But in this situation you had nothing to lose.

My 2 cents.

i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
what the fuck is a supertarget
2nd.......
working a shitty retail "kid" job will always suck for a million reasons and never make any sense and u will always be wrong no matter what u do....the solution? go 2 college get a real job and then make the kids at the store reach up high on the bigboy shelf to get you your gold plated potato slicer

[quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
what the shaq-fu is a supertarget
2nd.......
working a shitty retail "kid" job will always suck for a million reasons and never make any sense and u will always be wrong no matter what u do....the solution? go 2 college get a real job and then make the kids at the store reach up high on the bigboy shelf to get you your gold plated potato slicer[/quote]

Wow. I guess we have a full moon tonight. If you read the last part, I mention this was my 2nd job, which was seasonal. And I was working both jobs to get through school.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......
working a shitty retail "kid" job will always suck for a million reasons and never make any sense and u will always be wrong no matter what u do....the solution? go 2 college get a real job and then make the kids at the store reach up high on the bigboy shelf to get you your gold plated potato slicer[/quote]

Wow. I guess we have a full moon tonight. If you read the last part, I mention this was my 2nd job, which was seasonal. And I was working both jobs to get through school.[/quote]

He claims to be a 30 year old with college degrees. I can't fucking believe that, especially with the shit he posts.

[quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

Yep it really sounds like you went to college :roll:
Doesnt it suck when you get idiots who dont read at least the first post and decide to write what they think? Anyways good job for quitting retail is crazy during this week and this holiday season. Ill never forget last year i had to work the night before black friday and BB wanted me in at 4 am but then i got pushed up to 6am-3pm. I worked my second job from 4-10. Crazy how people come in to save money when most products arent worth the wait lol.

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

Wow. I guess we have a full moon tonight. If you read the last part, I mention this was my 2nd job, which was seasonal. And I was working both jobs to get through school.[/quote]

He claims to be a 30 year old with college degrees. I can't shaq-fuing believe that, especially with the shit he posts.[/quote]

:lol: now you've done it, a cag1000 flame war is sure to erupt.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

He claims to be a 30 year old with college degrees. I can't shaq-fuing believe that, especially with the shit he posts.[/quote]

:lol: now you've done it, a cag1000 flame war is sure to erupt.[/quote]

:lol: There's never any actual war, it's just everyone laughing at his posts while he tries to convince us that he's not a mildly retarded 12 year old.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

:lol: There never any actual war, it's just everyone laughing at his posts while he tries to convince us that he's not a mildly retarded 12 year old.[/quote]

Yes but it will take up the next 3 pages or so and completly destroy the point of this thread.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

:lol: There never any actual war, it's just everyone laughing at his posts while he tries to convince us that he's not a mildly retarded 12 year old.[/quote]

Yes but it will take up the next 3 pages or so and completly destroy the point of this thread.[/quote]

The thread is over as my happy ass is away from SuperTarget and I'm going to get completely trashed over Thanksgiving since I don't have to work. So lets have some fun and play pin the tail on the jackass.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='cag1000']i dont even need to read what u wrote just the first sentence and the title
first of all.....
2nd.......

Yes but it will take up the next 3 pages or so and completly destroy the point of this thread.[/quote]

The thread is over as my happy ass is away from SuperTarget and I'm going to get completely trashed over Thanksgiving since I don't have to work. So lets have some fun and play pin the tail on the jackass.[/quote]

Well one last question then: What is the difference between a target and a super target? Is it simply a larger Target store or is the name different?

It is pretty much a larger Target that has a supermarket inside. Don't know where you live, but they started coming to Texas a year or so ago.

[quote name='manofpeace20']It is pretty much a larger Target that has a supermarket inside. Don't know where you live, but they started coming to Texas a year or so ago.[/quote]

hmm target with food, sounds very similar to our Fred Meyers. So I guess everyone want to play the Walmart game now.

bread's done
Back