Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

Doomed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This thread has served its purpose. I have had a PS2 since black Friday 2008. Now use it to recommend games and say what games you have been playing on PS2.
Old thread:
For those who can't or don't want to read, yes I have decided I will get a PS2. Now is just game recommendations.
---
I am unsure whether to get a PS2 (slim) or a DS (lite) since they are the same price. It looks like the PS2 is more conducive to cheapassery at the moment since it's one generation behind DS and all. I had a DS Phat before it broke and I liked the games on it, so I know I'll like a DS lite. But the question is will I like a PS2 more? I think I may give PS2 a try since everything is so cheap, unlike Nintendo's pricing stucture where first party games are full price until they go out of print, unless it's a very big ticket game like Mario or something.

Racketboy's list of [good] cheap PS2 games seems like a good place to start if I do get a PS2, but I have a GameCube and there's a few multiplatform games on that list that are also on GC. So if I do get a PS2 what games do you all recommend? What's attracting me to PS2 is all of these nifty $30 bundles with 3 games in them. *sigh* if only GC got this much love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda hard to put a portable against a home console, ya know?

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is a serious gamer not recommend a PS2. There's simply too many good games on it to pass up.

Same could be said for the DS, but it all depends on what you enjoy the most.

I'd say to go for the PS2 unless you loved the DS games you've played so much that you can't live without it.

[quote name='Strell']
I'd say to go for the PS2 unless you loved the DS games you've played so much that you can't live without it.[/quote]
^ Do that. The DS is great, but if you can live without it, go for a PS2. It has too many great games to miss.

I bought a Ps2 a while back after my xbox 1 died, and it has been awesome. Most games can be found for under $20 (i've picked up a few for $5 off of ebay). A few of the newer or more obscure titles cost more than that, but yep, the ps2 has one of the greatest back catalogs in gaming history.

Racketboy's cheap list is pretty good.
here's another list http://ps2.ign.com/articles/772/772296p1.html

My favorites so far:

Bully
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Slug Anthology
Metal Gear Solid Series
Devil May Cry 3
Ratchet and Clank Series
God of War

Okay, I never really thought about it before, but DAMN the PS2 has a lot of good games. The GC had a few but a bunch of them are out of print/expensive. PS2 I should be able to get at least 5-7 good games for a mere $50, and if I abuse deals and whatnot, more than that. Why the hell did I not see this sooner? :dunce:

PS2 slim has a build in Ethernet port for online, right? Are there any good online games on PS2, or is the only good online expirenince with XBOX Live?

To top it off, not picking up a DS should be better later because it, like the PS2, is selling like hotcakes so a lot of games should be cheaper in the long run.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']wow..just get a 360[/quote]
360 is ~$300 for the bastardized version or ~$400 for one that sucks much less. Personally I'm waiting for a few more drops and a more reliable console. Also the reason I'm drawn to PS2 is the sheer library of great games. Granted 360 might be there in a few years, but at the moment I can't get a bunch of really good 360 game for less than $10. (actually, I haven't looked that much, but unless we're talking about old Maddens I don't think I know of a 360 game that cheap)

[quote name='Doomed']360 is ~$300 for the bastardized version or ~$400 for one that sucks much less. Personally I'm waiting for a few more drops and a more reliable console. Also the reason I'm drawn to PS2 is the sheer library of great games. Granted 360 might be there in a few years, but at the moment I can't get a bunch of really good 360 game for less than $10. (actually, I haven't looked that much, but unless we're talking about old Maddens I don't think I know of a 360 game that cheap)[/quote]

if i were you, id just save money till you can afford a 360. my ps2 went obselete once i got a 360.

Lets assume that I have $400 to spend on gaming right now.... Prices might vary, but just bear with me.

(not including taxes)
Base unit 360 = $280
Three Games:
Devil May Cry 4 = $60
Halo 3 =$40
Crackdown = $20
Games cost = $120

Total 360 Cost
= $400
-------------------------------------

PS2 = $130
One New Memory Card = $20

Seven Games: (combination of used and new games)
Devil May Cry 1-3 = $30
Metal Gear Solid 2-3 = $25
Shadow of the Colossus = $20
Bully = $20
Total Games cost = $100

Total PS2 Cost: $250

-----------------------------
Cost Difference = $150
You could save that money toward getting a 360 in the future when the price of games and hardware has come down....

Games decrease in price by as much as 60% in first 8 months
http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2007/07/video-game-prices-drop-60-in-first.html

[quote name='evyrew']Lets assume that I have $400 to spend on gaming right now.... Prices might vary, but just bear with me.

(not including taxes)
Base unit 360 = $280
Three Games:
Devil May Cry 4 = $60
Halo 3 =$40
Crackdown = $20
Games cost = $120

Total 360 Cost
= $400
-------------------------------------

PS2 = $130
One New Memory Card = $20

Seven Games: (combination of used and new games)
Devil May Cry 1-3 = $30
Metal Gear Solid 2-3 = $25
Shadow of the Colossus = $20
Bully = $20
Total Games cost = $100

Total PS2 Cost: $250

-----------------------------
Cost Difference = $150
You could save that money toward getting a 360 in the future when the price of games and hardware has come down....

Games decrease in price by as much as 60% in first 8 months
http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2007/07/video-game-prices-drop-60-in-first.html[/quote]

WHO buys new games when they first come out anymore? Not I. You can get most games for cheaper by the third or fourth month they're out. Plus, I know most of those games wouldn't even be on my list of games to buy, save for maybe Bully, which I own but haven't opened. I was going for the quirky games for a while, like Mister Mosquito and Mad Maestro(still sealed). I even had Katamari Damacy, which I sold to a friend for $15, since I couldn't stand the damned thing.

All I can say to the OP is go with games you'd like to play, read reviews, check out videos for them(many are on YouTube)and whatever you do, buy them from places with lax return policies like Gamestop(unless the local stores by you are doing that 'paper seal' return bullshit again).

I know that they did that around here for a while and it was annoying. It was ONLY returnable if the paper seal wasn't broken, but what if you get a bad condition game that doesn't play? Then, you're stuck with it if you open it? That's just not right, if you ask me.

Plus, I know most of those games wouldn't even be on my list of games to buy

That was just an example of a combination thats possible. I used retail prices just to keep the comparison relative. Going used saves even more money for the ps2. The OP mentioned a article from racketboy about combinations of different cheap games, and i was just keeping in that format .

if you didn't play the DS on the road a lot or at work or something, and instead at your friend's place, I'd say get a ps2. It's small enough to be practically a portable device in itself, and plus you can find many games that are good for playing with buddies for cheap nowadays. I dunno if Sony has released the "revised slim" ps2 yet or if it's still coming down the pipe, but the new revision will have a built in power supply, rather than a power brick as the current slim has, so that makes it even more easy to move around.

Also, the Metal Gear Solid series is a pretty solid (no pun intended...or was it?) addition to any collection.

For the flame war going on about PS2 vs. 360, I think it should be obvious that 360 is a gen ahead and more expensive. While I could get a 360 I think at this point it's a waste of money because the games I like to play aren't really on 360. There's no need to argue about weather or not a 360 is better. The reason I'm attracted to PS2 is it's vast library of games from all genres. I don't think 360 delivers in that regard. There are some cool titles on there but I don't think I can get any of them for under $10.

back on topic...
I'll probably pick up the 3 pack with MGS 1-3 since I never got MGS and I own a PS1. >_>

I got some other games in mind. I know a lot of the time sequels to games are better than the predecessors. I looked at screenshots of Gran Turismo 4 and it looks pretty nice, especially for PS2. But I looked at some reviews and it looks like GT3 has less license tests and people found them more annoying in GT4. So which should I get?

[quote name='evyrew']That was just an example of a combination thats possible. I used retail prices just to keep the comparison relative. Going used saves even more money for the ps2. The OP mentioned a article from racketboy about combinations of different cheap games, and i was just keeping in that format .[/quote]

I just checked out the list that Doomed mentioned from Racketboy(who the hell is racketboy anyway, that's the first time I've ever seen their site) and quite frankly, many of those wouldn't be on my own personal list.

I had Katamari Damacy and while I like mindless fun, I just couldn't get past the horrid storyline and repetitive, annoying gameplay. Most of the rest of those games are ones that I'd sooner trade to FYE or Gamestop than actually play myself. My one buddy is a huge FPS nut, whereas I had my fill of them with the original Doom for the most part.

I definitely wasn't flaming your post, but sorry if it seemed like that. I've played enough stinkers that other people raved about to know what I like and what I DISlike.

But, based on my likes and dislikes, I'd recommend the following for the OP:

God Of War(1 and 2)
GTA Trilogy(III, Vice City and San Andreas)
Just Cause(a GTA style sandbox game clone)
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games(I and II)
Champions Of Norrath games(CON and CON: Return To Arms)

The games above should give the OP a decent amount of playtime to begin with and many of them(specially Just Cause and the GTAs) can be found cheaper than retail.

Get the PS2. I'm jumping on the $30 gift card at Best Buy deal. $99 for a system with tons of great, cheap games? Sign me up. "Next-gen" can wait.

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Get the PS2. I'm jumping on the $30 gift card at Best Buy deal. $99 for a system with tons of great, cheap games? Sign me up. "Next-gen" can wait.[/quote]
I want to jump on that. I just need to find out how to dump my $90 in Wal*Mart gift cards. (Who the hell gives Wal*Mart gift cards as a gift? They never have any sales on video games so it's almost impossible to spend knowing what I'm buying is cheaper somewhere else)

Get the PS2!!!!

Right now I'm playing Guitar Hero III, Atelier Iris 3, and Melty Blood.

I got my PS2 (used/fat),15 games, 1 Memory Card, 2 Controllers for $100 from a friend. I modded it, and the only thing I've had to pay for are blank DVD's.

Love the PS2 and my DS. If you are plannin on picking up a PS3 you might want to hold off on the PS2. Also some of the newer HDTV will make ps2 games look like crap and might lag the game. I don't thin the ps2 slim has any type of upconversion.

Honestly, I miss my old PS2. :) I lost many hours to Baldur's Gate and Tekken Tag. It was far more reliable than my new Xbox 360 (heh... and quieter). And the games are dirt cheap now (although, the last Baldur's Gate released on PS2 in cut condition I believe is still around $40)

-Mary

www.gamefunk.com
all game. some funk.

I'm going to get a PS2 soon as well. The only thing that is keeping me from doing that is my 360 which keeps me pretty busy and I feel that the PS2 could go down in price when they make the next revision (power supply is actually inside the system itself). I just don't know when that will happen.

[quote name='mary_at_gamefunk']Honestly, I miss my old PS2. :) I lost many hours to Baldur's Gate and Tekken Tag. It was far more reliable than my new Xbox 360 (heh... and quieter). And the games are dirt cheap now (although, the last Baldur's Gate released on PS2 in cut condition I believe is still around $40)

-Mary

www.gamefunk.com
all game. some funk.[/quote]

That's what gets me too, is that certain games hold their value in used condition, but some others just drop like a stone.

I have that Baldur's Gate game you're talking about, but only for the Xbox, since that was the system I found it for cheapest. I still goof around in Vice City from time to time and wish they implemented the 'eating' and other micromanagement items they put into San Andreas, since I have about $240 million in the game and nothing to really spend it on aside from resprays when my wanted level gets too high.

How did I get that high of an amount, you might ask? The vigilante missions with the attack chopper were a HUGE part of it. If you stick near the one part of the airport(behind the main terminal building), you can typically get enemies to respawn there and finish the missions in no time flat and getting up to level 150 is a breeze if you just have to keep shooting the enemies as they respawn.

Although, part of the fun with the chopper version of the vigilante missions is the chase. If I could find an MP3 of the Airwolf theme, I was tempted to blare that on my stereo the next time I went 'hunting criminals'. LOL

Have you picked one up yet, OP? I got the silver version from Best Buy and I've been really enjoying my FF12 Collector's Edition. Ratchet & Clank and Burnout Revenge are next on my list.

[quote name='Doomed']I am unsure whether to get a PS2 (slim) or a DS (lite) since they are the same price. It looks like the PS2 is more conducive to cheapassery at the moment since it's one generation behind DS and all. I had a DS Phat before it broke and I liked the games on it, so I know I'll like a DS lite. But the question is will I like a PS2 more? I think I may give PS2 a try since everything is so cheap, unlike Nintendo's pricing stucture where first party games are full price until they go out of print, unless it's a very big ticket game like Mario or something.

Racketboy's list of [good] cheap PS2 games seems like a good place to start if I do get a PS2, but I have a GameCube and there's a few multiplatform games on that list that are also on GC. So if I do get a PS2 what games do you all recommend? What's attracting me to PS2 is all of these nifty $30 bundles with 3 games in them. *sigh* if only GC got this much love.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, I don't know how anyone could want a DS over a PS2. Sooooooo many fucking good games on the PS2.

I hope they release that new design and lower it to $99. When my PS2 broke, I picked up a PS3 so I was able to finish the games I was working on PS2 and still play my unopened PS2 games but I still want the PS2 for games I can't play on my PS3 that require special PS2 controllers like DDR, Beatmania, Pump It Up, In the Groove etc.

I might hold out just a little bit longer for the supposed redesign. But I should probably set a time limit so it's not 2010 and I'm like "What happened to that rumored PS2 redesign?"'

I think I'm gonna get the MGS 3 pack when it comes out even if I don't have a PS2 by then because I can see that appriciating in value and I have a PS1 I can play MGS 1 on.

Does anybody here have any third party memory card experiences?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I hope they release that new design and lower it to $99. When my PS2 broke, I picked up a PS3 so I was able to finish the games I was working on PS2 and still play my unopened PS2 games but I still want the PS2 for games I can't play on my PS3 that require special PS2 controllers like DDR, Beatmania, Pump It Up, In the Groove etc.[/quote]

guitar hero 1 and 2

[quote name='Doomed']Does anybody here have any third party memory card experiences?[/QUOTE]

I've had good experience with the Nyko ones before. They're licensed by Sony, and I've never had any lost or corrupted data. This was back when I had my first (fat) PS2, so I don't have any experience using them with the slim PS2.

OK, I think I know when I'm getting my PS2. Target to the rescue!
$99 is such a sweet price.

I've narrowed down my game choices. I think I'll be going for cheap and value priced fun. So I'll get the MGS collection when it comes out for sure since I can really see that going up in price sealed. When I actually get my PS2 I'm thinking of Twisted Metal: Head On since I've been playing TM2 recently and had a lot of fun. Or I may get some used games on Ebay/Amazon/CAG from the past 8 years of the PS2. Damn it why don't I have a PS2, like, right now?

Are there any first party or officially licensed memory cards with a higher capacity than the standard (I think) 8 MB? I wish I could trust a third party memory card but knowing my luck it will crap out on me.

There are no official memory cards with over 8 MB. That being said, unless you're going to be playing alot of sports games, 8 MB lasts quite awhile.

Yeah there's no reason to need more than one memory card unless you are playing sports game that require half the memory card. Most games are very small files, you can store everything you'll ever play on one.

[quote name='Doomed']I might hold out just a little bit longer for the supposed redesign. But I should probably set a time limit so it's not 2010 and I'm like "What happened to that rumored PS2 redesign?"'

I think I'm gonna get the MGS 3 pack when it comes out even if I don't have a PS2 by then because I can see that appriciating in value and I have a PS1 I can play MGS 1 on.

Does anybody here have any third party memory card experiences?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, the original Metal Gear Solid for PS1 wasn't in the three pack. I think it was Sons Of Liberty, Snake Eater and Subsistence. Or something to that effect.

[quote name='adamones']Yeah there's no reason to need more than one memory card unless you are playing sports game that require half the memory card. Most games are very small files, you can store everything you'll ever play on one.[/quote]

Unless you're like me and want to have an 'archive' of your game saves you don't want to lose, should your current PS2 card go kaput on you. I have 3 memory cards for the PS2 actually. I have an original black Sony brand, a yellow and black Nyko officially licensed one and an unopened white and blue Nyko which I grabbed from a Movie gallery going out of biz during the last round of closings.

I regularly update the saves to the 'archive', to keep them up to date, so in case something happens, I don't lose one bit of progress in any of my games.

Still don't have a PS2,(didn't use/trade my anti-cheapass giftcards before the $99 PS2 sales ended) but I'm glad I waited because the new PS2 family value pack comes with the slim 9000 model (no more power brick) and the standalone models should include it soon too. My deadline is January 1, 2009. If there's no holiday price drop, at least I'll get the new slim. I've been picking up a few games though. Already have the MGS collection and soon I'll get a few others that could become hard to find sealed.

Here's my ideas so far, spoilers are my comments/questions:
MGS EC
(already own)
Viewtiful Joe
(already own, $1 at KMART!)
Sony Memory Card 8MB
Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition
---below this is stuff I am considering---
Grand Theft Auto
I think only one would be plenty because of the huge amount of gameplay within every game. Used prices are dirt cheap too. Out of GTAIII, VC, SA, LCS, and VCS, which is best? Which has the largest sandbox?
Mercury Meltdown Remix
Jak & Daxter
Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts or Persona 3 FES
I'm not a hardcore RPG player, but I enjoyed RPGs like Paper Mario and Pokemon, as well as the little bits of FF I've played over the years. Is P3 too hardcore for me? It looks like it is.
Burnout Revenge

P3 isn't hardcore. It's just grinding. Lots and lots of grinding. The story is little more than an excuse for the grinding and is basically Saved by the Bell: Japanese Edition guest starring DEMONS so you're not going to miss much, and DO NOT let otakus tell you otherwise.

I personally hate Kingdom Hearts. Once the novelty wears off, you realize you're playing little more than a button masher spiced up with fancy graphics. Which might pass for the most part, except that the camera does a great job of not letting you see the nice graphics, unless you think spin-art is awesome and are one of those douchebags that swears they can see things in them, which in this case would be popular Disney characters like Shitty Upright Dog Who Dies A Lot and Loud Annoying Useless Duck AI.

I don't know about FFX. It always looked like Cliche: The Game: Pretty Boy Action, but a good number of people swear by it. FFXII is supposed to be more progressive and might actually prove more toward a casual player, but I'll let the people who are undoubtedly going to give me stern responses tell you what to do there.

Trust me. These days, it's good to take a passing interest in the RPG genre, since it's so terrible that it might be a valid reason to punch random people on the street. Or, better yet, at any gaming convention, since you know the clientèle there might try to tell you that water swords are "the best weapon ever" and that "my life would be so much more awesome if I had a water sword, since it is the best weapon ever."

I don't know what to give you suggestions for since my collection is RPG heavy, other than the obvious which can be found elsewhere.

As far as Final Fantasy is concerned, I would take XII over X any day. I really enjoyed the battle system, and the way the over world functioned as well. It was a very nice change from the turn based Final Fantasies of the past. I can't compare it to Persona 3 since I've never played it, but if I were to choose between XII, X and Kingdom Hearts, I would choose XII for sure.

Dude, forget Jak and Daxter, get Jak 3. Soooo much better, just finished it and after the first few hours it turned into one of the best games I've ever played.

Get one of the later R&C games too, I found that those games were so repetitive one was enough, so you might as well pick the best.

GTA:SA is the obvious choice for sheer variety of mission types, vehicles, etc (and it's an awesome game) but you have to put in alot of time. If you want a more accessable experience and you love mob movies like I do get GTA:LCS and if you love the 80s either of the VC options are fine.

You should wait and get a PS2. Yes, I said wait. In September they are to release a new slim PS2 bundle which has the power brick built into the system itself. It will cost $150 and come with Lego Batman and a Justice League DVD. The units color will still be black.

I appreciate you guys telling me to get a PS2 over a DS, but that was long since decided. My fault for not editing my original post, which I just did to avoid further redundancy. Yes I am picking up PS2 games, mostly ones that I think will get hard to find cheap or sealed. Although I don't see the new Twisted Metal game becoming hard to find, I can see it becoming hard to find sealed, so that is my next priority. FFXII I am not worried about at all. Didn't it just go GH?

Just had some demo time with my brother's PS2 while he was gone, played GTA VC and GTA SA. SA has a huge map and I think I'll enjoy the larger environment, so I'll probably roll with that. Speaking of roll, my brother also has both Katamari games and I've played them a few times. I may be able to get him to part with them, because damn they are fun and quirky.
[quote name='camoor']Dude, forget Jak and Daxter, get Jak 3. Soooo much better, just finished it and after the first few hours it turned into one of the best games I've ever played.[/quote]
From what I read, the later Jak games had a shooting element to them as well. Is this correct? Not sure how much I'd enjoy that.
If you want a more accessable experience and you love mob movies like I do get GTA:LCS and if you love the 80s either of the VC options are fine.
Can you elaborate? By "more accessable experience" do you mean more stuff to do without being forced to do missions? How open ended is SA? Can I just say "fuck the missions" and go on a bike ride around the city without popups every five seconds telling me where I'm supposed to go? How does this compare to LCS?
LCS is dirt cheap new (like $10) So I might be able to afford both (not being old enough for a job sucks)

Another dirt cheap item is demo discs. I can pick up a bunch of eBay and play them to try a game without blowing too much money. I also am a sucker for demo discs for some reason. I'm gonna research if any of the games recommended here have demo discs and hunt for them on the Internets, but if anybody knows if they do, it'd save me some time.

[quote name='Doomed']From what I read, the later Jak games had a shooting element to them as well. Is this correct? Not sure how much I'd enjoy that.
[/quote]

Yes that's correct. Shooting was a little wonky in Jak II but in Jak III it is so streamlined it plays like butter. I have never played a game where the weapons were all fun to use and it's great fun figuring out which weapon works best for which situation. Slight auto-targeting helps you out but it's so innocuous you might not even notice. On top of that the other gameplay elements are much more fleshed out, cars, hoverboard, an awesome array of enemies, shooting gallery, the first Jak was only 1/4 of the experience Jak III is.

[quote name='Doomed'] Can you elaborate? By "more accessable experience" do you mean more stuff to do without being forced to do missions? How open ended is SA? Can I just say "fuck the missions" and go on a bike ride around the city without popups every five seconds telling me where I'm supposed to go? How does this compare to LCS?
LCS is dirt cheap new (like $10) So I might be able to afford both (not being old enough for a job sucks)[/quote]

Nah. What I mean is that the LCS/VCS missions are generally short and sweet (makes sense as it was originally made for the PSP). In comparison some of those GTA:SA missions could take you the better part of an hour to beat. The map is HUGE and you will be forced to drive around the countryside for a while which is fun at first but can become a pain in the ass after a while when you die and you just want to get some more armor/ammo fast.

But if you want more stuff to do outside of formal missions, GTA:SA is def your game. So much variety! Just be aware that it will take a while to unlock it all.

The PS2 has so many great games!

I may never get a PS3 at this rate.

Just picked up Ultimate Spiderman, and I gotta finish Genji too. ZOE1 is just gonna go unplayed methinks.

Just got Twisted Metal. It's getting pretty hard to find and I figure I'd pay about the same price six months from now for a used copy from amazon + shipping.

What are people's thoughts on Okami?

[quote name='Doomed']What are people's thoughts on Okami?[/quote]

Okami is amazing, I think I could easily rank it into my top 5 for the PS2. If you can find it, get it. It's leaps and bounds better than the Wii version.

bread's done
Back