What was the first 3d polygonal game?

Heyricochet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Just a random thought for me. I'd like to think that it would be stun runner because that game is one of my favorite games, and has pretty early 3d in it, but I doubt that was the first one. Anyone have any clue?

Oh yeah and to anyone who remembers stun runner, its coming out on midway arcade treasures 3. I'm excited. Although it won't be the same without the yoke controller.

[quote name='Heyricochet']Well, after a quick google search to my own question I turned up some answers. The first 3d game that I've heard of is battlezone(1980) made by atari (woo raytracing!) The earlier one called spasim(1974) seems like a 3d spacewar played on university computers from the link I found.

http://www.answers.com/topic/3d-monster-maze[/QUOTE]

aren't those vector graphics, i.e. 3d but not polygonal. The earliest I can thing of is SNES starfox.

1987 Driver's Eyes on the System 21 hardware from Namco. Virtua Fighter was about 1992-1993 if I remember correctly. I love arcade games :)

I think the OP mentioned Stun Runner that was I think app. 1990 and ran on the same hardware as Hard Drivin'.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']aren't those vector graphics, i.e. 3d but not polygonal. The earliest I can thing of is SNES starfox.[/QUOTE]
I remember playing Alpha Waves on PC, and that was a couple years before Starfox.

There was some racing game on Genesis that did 3d like Starfox. I remember that it had you driving through loops at 2 fps. It might be Hard Driving, but I'm not sure.

[quote name='chargeup45']There was some racing game on Genesis that did 3d like Starfox. I remember that it had you driving through loops at 2 fps. It might be Hard Driving, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

indeed

Atari's 'I, Robot' was the first true filled polygon 3D game in the arcades. The development crew was so proud of it the include a non-game mode that let play around with the graphics system. This hardware was caried on and upgrade in following Atari arcade machines.

Jez San, the founder of Argonaut was a big fan of the 'I, Robot' machine and has put references to in his games. The one that made his name as a developer was 'Starglider' on the Atari ST and other 16-bit computers. It was a wireframe 3D but was amazing for the era. 'Starglider II' upped the ante and stunned the market by having filled polygons in a great 3D shooter. It was this game that served to convince Nintendo that Argonaut was capable of delivering on their proposal of a affordable chip that would add 3D capability to a game console. Thus was born the FX chip and its first game 'Starfox.' In many ways 'Starfox' is 'Starglider III.'

bread's done
Back