Macbook, EEE PC, and a Desktop. What to do What to do

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
258 (100%)
I have been thinking about getting a laptop for quite some time now but I'm not 100% sure what to do at this point. I have about a 2 year old XP machine that isn't a powerhouse but its a capable machine. I don't use it for games (except for a few emulators). Now I've entered into the every fun 3 scenarios and I'm trying to decide what to do. I've picked the macbook because I want a smaller screen on the go (so macbook pro is not an option). To further aggravate me I just read an article that the macbooks might see an upgrade soon.

Option #1

Buy a $1299 macbook and get the DVD burner and the bigger 120GB hard drive. I can upgrade the ram myself later. Now this would allow me to keep the functionality of my home system as well as install windows xp for a few programs I would need. I could also sell off my current PC and get some $$$ for it.

Option #2

Buy the cheaper $1099 macbook and keep my desktop machine. I honestly wouldn't mind having a desktop and a laptop but I'm one person and I don't really feel the need to have more than one machine at a time. However I would spend less and wouldn't have to worry about installing windows or buying the upgrade for the DVD burner in the macbook.

Option #3

I've started looking at the EEE PC and it looks like it could be a decent enough companion to a desktop machine. I've read how you can put XP on it and upgrade the ram yada yada yada. The only one thing holding me back is I don't get the Mac OS. I might also be limited as to what I can do on the machine.

I also just read this article about a possible Macbook Pro upgrade which in turn might mean a macbook upgrade.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/30/evidence-for-new-macbook-pros/

Any thoughts?

Ditch the idea of the mac first. Nah j/k. I'd either get the cheaper macbook or the EEE pc and keep your desktop

Personally I'm waiting for the 9" Screen EEE's that come with XP loaded on them, then pick up some Corsair Mobile RAM, and a 16Gb Patriot SD. It plays old games, but mostly the pre-2003 kind, and it runs most applications perfectly.

Well there are a few different factors here to consider:

I also have been looking at the asus eee myself. If you want to run windows then upgrading the ram is a must and not an option. The linux operating system is far les demanding on the ram.

Many people complain about the screen size and resolution as well as bugs causing a not so solid OS.

The eee is definitely a companion. Get ready to rely on SD cards and flash drives, so keep your desktop if you decide to get one.

Asus has new models that are sopposed to launch Quarter 2 this year. I personally am interested in getting the 8g version.

If you go with a macbook then get the upgrades and sell your home pc. I recently purchased one of the new imacs and I LOVE it! I dont see myself going back.

Once you use the new imac you most likely wont use your pc very much, so selling is a better option to save space.

Best of luck
yeldarbthetitan

Thanks guys for the answers. I went and saw an EEE PC in-store today and it is nice and small but almost too small...I could see the keyboard and small screen would take some getting used to. After seeing in person its really making the choice easier as I think its coming off the list.

May I ask .. what do you want your new computer to do?

Just wondering what turned you onto the Mac, I'm sure you've done tons of research and your mind is made up, yet the Mac, no matter what you hear is gernerally more expensive then it needs to be for the average user. Just open to opinions and kinda curious is all.

Don't get me wrong, Linux / Mac / Windows all have their dissadvantages and advantages. Not starting a Mac bash. Just curious :D

[quote name='strikeratt']May I ask .. what do you want your new computer to do?

Just wondering what turned you onto the Mac, I'm sure you've done tons of research and your mind is made up, yet the Mac, no matter what you hear is gernerally more expensive then it needs to be for the average user. Just open to opinions and kinda curious is all.

Don't get me wrong, Linux / Mac / Windows all have their dissadvantages and advantages. Not starting a Mac bash. Just curious :D[/QUOTE]

I at this point have just wanted a laptop for quite some time. I don't really care for Vista at all after having used it. I like how fast the MAC is for certain tasks such as file searching and leopard's quick look.

If you look at pricing for laptops with a 13.3" screen you'll see that the price difference from Windows to MAC is not that much. You will generally get a little more bang for your buck from a windows machine because you'll get more ram, more hard drive space, and a dvd burner. I can upgrade the macbook myself at any point so if I need something I can have it.

I like the design of the macbook more so than any windows based machine I've seen as well. Not exactly a big deal but I figure if I'm going to spend the money I may as well get something I like to look at as well.

I can also install Windows XP on the machine as well using Boot Camp. I feel like I'll always have the options and the best of both worlds.

I also kind of went into the thinking this would be a secondary machine to my home PC and not a desktop replacement. I like that a lot of the features of the macbook that I would be using are so streamlined which seems to suit the on-the-go performance I would want from a laptop. iTunes runs a little better on the Mac, Safari is nice and quick (although firefox is probably just as good for me) , quick boot, good battery life etc etc.

I have a mac mini as well as an XP machine at work and I have to say the mini drew me into Leopard.

I don't think my mind is made up at all except that I won't be getting the EEE PC mainly due to its small size which is nice but a little too small for me personally.

If you're definately getting a Mac I would spend the extra money to get the pro. I have one of the cheaper ones, and it's a realy cheap POS. I'm sure the more expensive one would be a better choice.

[quote name='jkam']Thanks guys for the answers. I went and saw an EEE PC in-store today and it is nice and small but almost too small...I could see the keyboard and small screen would take some getting used to. After seeing in person its really making the choice easier as I think its coming off the list.[/quote]

I can see getting one of these if you already have a "workhorse" laptop. IMO, it's only worth getting if you want to stay connected in a Starbucks or on vacation.

[quote name='n25philly']If you're definately getting a Mac I would spend the extra money to get the pro. I have one of the cheaper ones, and it's a realy cheap POS. I'm sure the more expensive one would be a better choice.[/QUOTE]

Ouch...the only thing is I really want the smaller size laptop...What happened to yours?

[quote name='mogamer']I can see getting one of these if you already have a "workhorse" laptop. IMO, it's only worth getting if you want to stay connected in a Starbucks or on vacation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're probably right.

Thanks for answering my question. Trying to get a wide range of views of what people like about PC's and Macs. Helps in the Mac vs PC arguements that I jump into :D

I also just have to ask what are your plans for the laptop. Not gaming I'd imagine. Obviously itunes and internet, DVD burning and using (after you upgrade) Anything else? Honestly just curious :D Maybe can help with some different options that still look and work good and perhaps is a bit cheaper. :D

It's still all up to you though :D

[quote name='jkam']Ouch...the only thing is I really want the smaller size laptop...What happened to yours?[/quote]

The casing is cheap white plastic which now has all kinds of burn marks from the hotter components, and it scratches from even the smoothest surfaces. Performance wise it's been a long time problem with poor performance and tons of crashes through mutiple reinstalls. It's an early intel mac though, so I assume thats due to being an early adopter. I'm not a big fan of OSX so I don't really care as it's more of a toy to me than a serious tool. I've got my tablet for that. I'm sure my experiences are more likely isolated than common, but I figured it was worth considering.

bread's done
Back