IGN Responds to Cheapy...Not so good

XTommyDonX

CAGiversary!
CheapyD Edit:
Here's the clip:
[MEDIA]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/threeredlightsclip.mp3[/MEDIA]

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/852/852084p1.html

They backfired at CAG.

Cheapy basically stated a well thought out idea about Blu-Ray on CAGcast 106 that was not offensive in any way. Cheapy even commented IGN's good points. IGN of course insisted on not even listening to the CAGcast and then attacked CAG.

It's about 56 minutes into the show, near the end. I don't mind if you want to share the thread in the CAGcast. It's not private or anything.

I don't want to listen to the whole thing. What did they say and what did Cheapy say to make them respond?

[quote name='lilboo']Yeah I also don't care to listen, but what is this about ?[/quote]

you should listen to the new cagcast, #106.

i was actually thinking about this while listening to the cagcast where cheapy mentioned ign's comment. i thought that they would backfire just cause they're immature and stupid. is this the same guy that was dissin' gabe over kane & lynch? tell him to stop by my house and i'll give him a beating.

Cheapy basically stated a well thought out idea about Blu-Ray that was not offensive in any way. Cheapy even commented IGN's good points. IGN of course insisted on not even listening to the CAGcast and then attacking CAG.

are you refering to cheapy saying that blu ray wasn't going to be the driving force that hillary claimed it would be in this gen console race. If that is the case why the fuck would IGN even care. There were others on the podcast that didnt seem to think that blu ray would be such a big deal.

What was IGN's response. Please don't tell me that used the we are superior then other people in the industry bullshit they used on penny arcade. When they pointed out they were professional journalist and penny arcade was a comic.

What happened is Hillary on IGN said some stuff about the 360's demise and Cheapy said those reasons are silly and nonfactual. Hilary then calls Cheapy a fanboy and says Cheapy's comments are ludicrious and without factual basis and then invites Cheapy to be on their show to talk about it because he doesn't care about the cagcast and doesn't want to be on it.

[quote name='ryanbph']are you refering to cheapy saying that blu ray wasn't going to be the driving force that hillary claimed it would be in this gen console race. If that is the case why the fuck would IGN even care. There were others on the podcast that didnt seem to think that blu ray would be such a big deal.

What was IGN's response. Please don't tell me that used the we are superior then other people in the industry bullshit they used on penny arcade. When they pointed out they were professional journalist and penny arcade was a comic.[/quote]

They kind of acted like that. Kind of acted like CAG was nothing compared to them.

Is Hillary a girl, or a boy with a girls name? If the later is true, just leave him alone, since he is obviously a victim of an abusive childhood.

[quote name='whoknows']What happened is Hillary on IGN said some stuff about the 360's demise and Cheapy said those reasons are silly and nonfactual. Hilary then calls Cheapy a fanboy and says Cheapy's comments are ludicrious and without factual basis and then invites Cheapy to be on their show to talk about it because he doesn't care about the cagcast and doesn't want to be on it.[/QUOTE]

I'm way to lazy to listen to both Pod Casts but did they imply that Cheapy is 360 fanboy? Didn't they watch this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxcdcWgp6Ew

And if IGN doesn't like the site then fine. They can pay 60 bucks for games for the rest of time. See if I care. If anything they should be mad at people saying IGN Insider is a rip off.

But... Blu-ray isn't a driving force the way DVD was for the PS2. Most people are still satisfied with DVD.

4 million Blu-Ray discs were sold last year. 1.7 billion DVD's were sold last year. Driving force? More like drop in the bucket.

Ugh... Those dudes were lame! I don't listen to that many podcasts but I've heard enough to know those guys don't belong anywhere near a public address. Sounded like a circle-jerk. Yikes!

[quote name='whoknows']What happened is Hillary on IGN said some stuff about the 360's demise and Cheapy said those reasons are silly and nonfactual.[/quote]

No, thats what the person who submitted the question wrote. I believe the word I used was "disagreed".

Anyway, more fodder for this week's show...I love it!

[quote name='phear3d']you should listen to the new cagcast, #106.

i was actually thinking about this while listening to the cagcast where cheapy mentioned ign's comment. i thought that they would backfire just cause they're immature and stupid. is this the same guy that was dissin' gabe over kane & lynch? tell him to stop by my house and i'll give him a beating.[/quote]

Yeah I remember the cagcast played that clip. They got their panties in a bunch. Really, it's video games people. There's no need to prove who has the bigger gaming dick. Blu Ray alone is not going to crush the competition. There needs to be actual games along with it.

[quote name='dafoomie']
4 million Blu-Ray discs were sold last year. 1.7 billion DVD's were sold last year. Driving force? More like drop in the bucket.[/quote] Helps that there were millions more DVD players than Blu Ray players. Back in 2000, you think anyone said "There were 1.7 Billion VHS tapes sold this year, and only 4 million of these Digital Video Disc things! Drop in the bucket!"

That has to have been the most pathetic response I have ever heard. What a self-absorbed douche. Cheapy shouldn't even waste his time responding to this guy.

[quote name='daphatty']That has to have been the most pathetic response I have ever heard. What a self-absorbed douche. Cheapy shouldn't even waste his time responding to this guy.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

They're just some assholes trying to start shit to raise the listener stats on their show. I fully expect something like this out of IGN every month of so, just so people keep coming back to see what everyone's pissed off about.

[quote name='daphatty']That has to have been the most pathetic response I have ever heard. What a self-absorbed douche. Cheapy shouldn't even waste his time responding to this guy.[/QUOTE]
The best response would just be a picture of CheapyD smiling while holding the best gaming podcast award.

[quote name='CheapyD']No, thats what the person who submitted the question wrote. I believe the word I used was "disagreed".

Anyway, more fodder for this week's show...I love it![/QUOTE]

I just went by what they said :)

And I have no idea who Hilary is so I guess :p

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']IGNorant Gaming Newbs[/QUOTE]
Sick burn.

The best response would just be a picture of CheapyD smiling while holding the best gaming podcast award.

Nice! Yeah, Cheapy, I agree with DaPhatty, don't even address this situation...just look how many hits listens their show got just from this thread! ( no offense to the o.p. )

I love CAG and CheapyD... but guys, c'mon.

The 360 podcast is great. It's the only other one I listen to on a consistent basis. Quit being so mad that they talked about Cheapy and calm the hell down.

Wow, an inter-feud. Boring, who cares. I don't go to IGN anymore since they were bought out by Fox/Rupert Murdoch. They've turned into crap for a long time. I urge anyone with common sense to boycott everything Fox/Mudorch related

[quote name='dafoomie']But... Blu-ray isn't a driving force the way DVD was for the PS2. Most people are still satisfied with DVD.

4 million Blu-Ray discs were sold last year. 1.7 billion DVD's were sold last year. Driving force? More like drop in the bucket.[/quote]

I was just at BB today during lunch, but I overheard this exact sentiment. People keep talking about bluray and how they don't want to pay for the exact same movie they can get on DVD.

Though I generally enjoy the IGN Games Podcasts, I've learned to ignore anything and everything they have to say about the next-gen movie format. A little while back they heralded Blu-Ray as the clearly superior format saying it was the more mature of the two formats. Hah.

I wouldn't doubt the pay off. At this point people are just going with the tide right now the tide is just coming in for bluray. The tide will also always recede to some degree.

I can't wait for Sony to flip everything given they have the rights to everything blu and to keep the prices inflated for much longer than would have been previously. These buy one get one sales won't be funded forever.

who the hell is this guy anyways...Hilary? Obviously everyone has heard of IGN but has anyone actually heard of this guy before this forumpost? Almost pisses me off as much as the Mass Effect situation. Get ure facts right!! Good thing this guy doesn't have a large audience or he would really look like a fool.

[quote name='Dunvane']I love CAG and CheapyD... but guys, c'mon.

The 360 podcast is great. It's the only other one I listen to on a consistent basis. Quit being so mad that they talked about Cheapy and calm the hell down.[/QUOTE]

If you think we are getting riled up over this then you would be mistaken. The IGN guy didn't even speak intelligently about the issue. What is there to get riled up about?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Helps that there were millions more DVD players than Blu Ray players. Back in 2000, you think anyone said "There were 1.7 Billion VHS tapes sold this year, and only 4 million of these Digital Video Disc things! Drop in the bucket!"[/QUOTE]
DVD players and discs were selling like hotcakes when they came out, people were eager to move on from VHS. That isn't happening today, and those numbers support that conclusion.

The first year DVDs and DVD players were available in the US, 1997, they sold 2 million discs. The next year, they sold 7.2 million discs. By the time the PS2 had come out in 2000, 8.5 million DVD players had already been sold, most of them costing more than a grand a piece. This is what I call a "driving force" that propelled PS2 (which cost less than standalone DVD players at the time). Blu-Ray is simply not catching on at anywhere near the same rate that DVD did.

So yes, drop in the bucket. Its clearly not doing for the PS3 anything like what DVD did for the PS2. If anything, its PS3 thats helping the Blu-Ray format, which doesn't say much for how they're doing.

Cheapy. If they really did invite you to debate on their podcast then I think you should go on and get the free publicity BUT make sure the servers can handle the influx of related traffic.

Yea, Hilary does/did some reviews for the original xbox and xbox360. I still remember his review of Assassin's Creed. After treating the game like a godsend, he pretty much contradicted all the previews/hands on from before and essentially said the game was severely lacking. I personally stopped going to ign for anything other than daily news after Reverend David Francis Smith and Dave Zdyrko left way back in the day.

In case you've just listened to this particular TRL (Three Red Lights) podcast, Hilary says a lot of things tongue in cheek/to get the audience riled up. I'll listen to it later this week, but just be aware, don't take everything he says too seriously.

Maybe Cheapy should know that the Fox Corporation owns IGN. Just saying.

Does it really matter why a Console pulls into first, or SECOND place for this generation? No. It only depends on how you become #1. Nintendo did something new, the others didn't, period. They're winning. Microsoft isn't, Sony isn't.

Why are people arguing who gets Second Place? There's no point.

I used to listen to the IGN podcasts when Kathleen from 1up was working there briefly .
They were alot better with her , she gave them a pulse .

After she left they made a comment or two about her , and I thought that was pretty shitty thing to do , not to mention unprofessional .

They had a show recently called GameSages , it was good .
I listened to it mostly because Jeff Gerstmann was on it .

Other than that IGN is totally a last resort for me .
Their news page is a mess , with too much bullshit mixed in .

[quote name='naiku']who the hell is this guy anyways...Hilary? Obviously everyone has heard of IGN but has anyone actually heard of this guy before this forumpost? Almost pisses me off as much as the Mass Effect situation. Get ure facts right!! Good thing this guy doesn't have a large audience or he would really look like a fool.[/QUOTE]

First off, IGN has ... six million subscribers? Eight? Something like that. That doesn't mean most or even many listen to the podcasts, but they don't have a large audience: they have a HUGE audience.

More importantly though, Hil Goldstein is the primary editor of the IGN Xbox channels. If he's suddenly a huge Blu Ray proponent, it's likely sarcasm.

This is to you IGN.......I don't have a HDTV,and I have a 360, ok.........And that means I dont have a HD dvd player, nor I am interested yet...The thing is when the ps2 got released dvd was one major force driving the sales of the system, why IGN morons?Because everyone had a SDTV(standard definition TV)Now if I want to have a HD dvd player, I have to buy a HDTV,and nowadays the economy is not as good as it was back in the day........CheappyD, why the big corporations try to get on you?They must envy you?Who cares, still the best podcast is the cheapassgamer one!!!!!

bread's done
Back