Essential PSX Games. What are they?

Zen Davis

Banned
This is the list I have thus far. What am I missing?

Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat 3
Akuji The Heartless
Alundra
Ape Escape
Arc The Lad Collection
Armored Core
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Bloody Roar 2
Brave Fencer Musashi
Breath of Fire IV
Broken Sword 2
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Bust A Groove
Carnage Heart
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Colin McRae Rally
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Colony Wars
Colony Wars 2
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Chrono Cross
Devil Dice
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Dragon Warrior VII
Driver
Einhander
Fear Effect
Final Fantasy Anthologies
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy Tactics
Frogger
G-Police
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Grandia
Guardian's Crusade
Hot Shots Golf 2
Incredible Crisis
Intelligent Qube
Jade Cacoon
Jet Moto
Jet Moto 2
Jumping Flash
Kagero: Deception 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Mana
Lunar Silver Star Story
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
Medal of Honor
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Slug X
Monster Rancher
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
Oddworld: Abe's Odyessy
Parappa The Rappa
Persona 2
Point Blank
Pong: The Next Level
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Ridge Racer 4
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
Rival Schools
Rival Schools 2
Silent Hill
Soul Balde
Speed Punks
Spyro The Dragon
Spyro The Dragon 2
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus
Strider 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tales of Destiny 2
Team Buddies
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tenchu
Tenchu 2
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Thousand Arms
Time Crisis
Tobal No. 2
Tomb Raider
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal 2
Um Jammer Lammy
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts
Vigilante 8
Wild 9
Wild Arms
WWF Smackdown
WWF Smackdown 2
X-Com: UFO Defense
Xenogears

Some might argue if they are 'essential' but I really enjoyed:

Jumping Flash
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Vigilante 8
Wipeout XL and 3 and any others

Legend of Legaia, though it plays even slower today than it did back in the day. It would be an eternal classic if you could play through battles at 2-3x speed.

[quote name='Zen Davis']
Parappa The Rappa
[/quote]

Hmm, you might want to add Unlammer Jammy since it's basically the same thing from what I've seen.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']Hmm, you might want to add Unlammer Jammy since it's basically the same thing from what I've seen.[/QUOTE]

i love parappa and umjammer lammy but it seems to me the rythem was completely off..

i didn't look at your list but was

MTV Music Generator its a great game for the system best one of the series.

Honestly, other than RPGs... most PS1 games just haven't held up all too well. Sure stuff like Ape Escape and Parappa are timeless but pretty much any racing game and those wrestling games are horrible. I'd say roughly 25% of the games you listed aren't worth owning/playing anymore.

BTW, getting all those will cost you a fortune. But god, all those fantastic RPGs on the PS1... *drool*

Oh, and add Klonoa, Tomba and Tomba 2. They're really fun platformers.

Agreed on Tomba...

I really enjoyed Rayman.

Star Ocean 2 is a great RPG.

Legend of Mana is pretty niche, I like it but it's definitely not for everyone, or a "must have".

I'm told Parasite Eve 2 is out of this world.

Overall good list... 2d games and RPG's with good load times are the only games that aged well.

[quote name='Vinny']Honestly, other than RPGs... most PS1 games just haven't held up all too well. Sure stuff like Ape Escape and Parappa are timeless but pretty much any racing game and those wrestling games are horrible. I'd say roughly 25% of the games you listed aren't worth owning/playing anymore.

BTW, getting all those will cost you a fortune. But god, all those fantastic RPGs on the PS1... *drool*

Oh, and add Klonoa, Tomba and Tomba 2. They're really fun platformers.[/quote]

I've gone back and played a number of those games and some surprisingly do hold up. You however have through incredibly dated graphics to get through the gameplay. Some people simply aren't able to do that anymore.

Resident Evil

resi1psx_003-large.jpg

resident-evil-5-20070726113937477.jpg

Soul Blade/Calibur

soulblade1.jpg

soul-calibur-iv-02-l.jpg

Metal Gear Solid

mgs-01.jpg

metalgearsolid4e32007trailer15.png

power shovel :) it is weird, but damn it was different!

i noticed you only have time crisis there. project titan was a good game as well but i dont think it sold quite as good as time crisis. tales of destiny is also a must. you might end up paying more than it is now sometime this year cause the directors cut for the ps2 is coming out in the u.s.

i would also have to agree with MTV Music Generator & Vigilante 8. V8 was far more superior than twisted metal. i spent hours playing that game.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I've gone back and played a number of those games and some surprisingly do hold up. You however have through incredibly dated graphics to get through the gameplay. Some people simply aren't able to do that anymore.

Resident Evil

resi1psx_003-large.jpg

resident-evil-5-20070726113937477.jpg

Soul Blade/Calibur

soulblade1.jpg

soul-calibur-iv-02-l.jpg

Metal Gear Solid

mgs-01.jpg

metalgearsolid4e32007trailer15.png
[/QUOTE]

The graphics don't bother me... as long as it's not on an LCD/Plasma. I'm glad we have a huge rear projection- it's fantastic for old games.

I was more or less talking about the loose controls of some games. I dunno why they feel like that to me now but they never seem to control bad back in the day.

Silent Hill is a good case study for the mechanical side of a game not aging well.

The plot/atmosphere of that game is out of this world, but I can't stand the controls (when it came out I was able to manage).

The two Oddworld games are pretty interesting.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, and Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus.

Not for everyone, but I liked them, mainly due to their unique atmosphere.

You should add Doom (and maybe Final Doom). Arguably the best version of the original games, and definitely the best console port.

these may be more personal favorites, but after looking at my collection i came up with two games i think still hold up well, spiderman and mega man x4

[quote name='Vinny']Honestly, other than RPGs... most PS1 games just haven't held up all too well. Sure stuff like Ape Escape and Parappa are timeless but pretty much any racing game and those wrestling games are horrible. I'd say roughly 25% of the games you listed aren't worth owning/playing anymore.

Oh, and add Klonoa, Tomba and Tomba 2. They're really fun platformers.[/QUOTE]

i call shenanagins..

really 3d platforming from this era hasn't stood up well.. (that means games like those Crash titles, anything that required platforming in the 3d hasn't stood up well)..

if you can handle the crappy graphics on rails shooters, FPS, racing and RPGs stand up very well today.. I love the wipeouts/twisted metals those are still very excellent titles. the Gran Turismo series on the PS1 is still pretty good.. I liked a lot of the snowboarding games..

I don't think parappa is a great rythem game (the game literally was off tempo..) but even those "fantastic RPGS' I have a hard time playing any of them today.. mostly because the graphics are so bad.. or the controls are absolutely terrible (i'm looking at you Persona) that they are almost neigh unplayable..

Two big ones that absolutely should be on your list:
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tomb Raider 2

And one maybe:
Parasite Eve (I loved it but it's not that long really)

[quote name='phear3d']power shovel :) it is weird, but damn it was different!

i noticed you only have time crisis there. project titan was a good game as well but i dont think it sold quite as good as time crisis. tales of destiny is also a must. you might end up paying more than it is now sometime this year cause the directors cut for the ps2 is coming out in the u.s.

i would also have to agree with MTV Music Generator & Vigilante 8. V8 was far more superior than twisted metal. i spent hours playing that game.[/quote]

Since when has the Tales of Destiny Directors Cut been confirmerd for the US???? :hot:

Metal Gear Solid
Twisted Metal 2
There are a ton I have yet to play.
I want to try allundra, lunar series, some other rpgs, and hercs adventure.

A few I think you missed...and that others haven't mentioned...

Rogue Trip 2012 (basically, this was Twisted Metal 3, but sony used a different dev team for 3, and this was the game the TM2 team made - it's badass)
Parasite Eve
Klonoa
N2O
Nuclear Strike (or Soviet Strike...just damn fun games)
Loaded or Re-Loaded (always enjoyed that game)
THRILL KILL!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you had Wild 9 on there. That game was damn cool...never got enough respect.

[quote name='voidcoefficient']You should add Doom (and maybe Final Doom). Arguably the best version of the original games, and definitely the best console port.[/quote]

C'mon, aside from the soundtrack, PSX Doom has nothin on the PC original.

EDIT: OH god! Thrill Kill! That game BLOWS. I remember the whole ordeal, I may even have the old Tips N' Tricks with the full move list. I finally got an ISO of that a few years ago and was glad that piece of crap never came out. Speaking of elusive discs, I wonder if I'll ever get to play Biohazard 1.5.....

Thrill Kill would have been the shit had it come out when it was supposed to. I admit, playing it when I finally got to in 2003, it had lost a lot of the luster it would have had in 1998/99.

I also remembered another game that should be on the list...

Return Fire. Damn that game was fun...if they would re-do that game with XBL multiplayer, I'd jump right on it.

einhander - excellent side scrolling shoot em' up.

Grand Theft Auto 1+2 were good, especially the first one. Even came with an alternate london based GTA.

Some of the games on your list seem kinda iffy to me. I know it's opinion, but wasn't Tenchu 2 not nearly as good as Tenchu 1. Definitey played slower than Tenchu, that was a big downer for me.

Oh yeah, MTV music generator was a great prog for it's time.

Also, consider X-Men vs. Streetfighter and Puzzle Fighter.

edit: ignore my dupes, way too late for me...

Pop'n Music
Pop'n Music 2
Pop'n Music 3 Append
Pop'n Music 4 Append
Pop'n Music 5
Pop'n Music 6

Beatmania 2nd Mix + Append
Beatmania 3rd Mix Append
Beatmania 4th Mix Append
Beatmania 5th Mix Append
Beatmania 6th Mix + Core Remix
Beatmania Gottamix Append
Beatmania Gottamix 2 Going Global
Beatmania Dreams come true
Beatmania Sound of Toyko
Beatmania Club Mix

[quote name='DaveD']C'mon, aside from the soundtrack, PSX Doom has nothin on the PC original.
[/quote]

It also had colored lighting, new levels, both Doom and Doom II in one package, better sound effects (IMO), and better visual effects. It's not perfect and is missing some things and uses the damned Jaguar levels that every console port seemed to be required by law to use, but the package as a whole it just so nice.

[quote name='karmapolice']Klonoa should def. be on the list even though its impossible to find. What an amazing game.[/quote]

Klonoa is platforming at its best, too bad people couldn't see past the uber kawaiiness of it all. In America only smartass or wacky new mascots could compete in the late 90's.

Klonoa 3 ps3 plz.

I agree with Future Cop being horribly under rated.
Friends and I used to play 2 player matches of that constantly.

I'll add in Ehrgeiz & Medievil 1 and 2 seeing as the list is so long already.
Most of my pics are already there.

DDR and DDR: Konamix. Konamix especially.

Hmm, what else? Spiderman, though it was already said. Tomba, Twisted Metal, you have most everything.

Koudelka was good if you enjoyed the Shadow Heart series on the ps2. The only ps1 game that I've played recently that has stood the test of time has been Xenogears. It has a great storyline through the first disc but gets a little worse in the second disc. MGS VR missions is also good to have just to get to play as Grey Fox over and over again.

bread's done
Back