CAGcast #107: Caring and Sharing

PS3 has best average review scores of current gen consoles
In-game messaging info spotted on PS3 website
The PS3 Processor Has Been Successfully Shrunk

All point to the same story.

Seems like every time I go to download the show when it comes out, I get stuck with only the show intro before it crashes. Guess I have to wait :(

I, like Wombat, thought you were talking about playing the MLB 08 demo on the PS3 from the toilet. Is this actual interest in playing the game or just the kind of interest that you never follow up on and actually buy the game? At least with this game, compared to say MLB 2K8 on the 360, you could buy the US version and play on your Japanese PS3.

Have you played Madden this year Wombat? It's quite a bit better than the first two attempts at next-gen Madden, mostly because of the Weapons system that gives the stars of the league some actual weight during the game. It seems like the series is heading in the right direction now.

So, Cheapy, what was the Alexa ranking of CAG at the end of its first year in 2003?

Woo! Direct download, put it on my ZEN V and then I'm off to enjoy the CAGGY goodness while I sit through my meaningless university lectures. Hooray for boobies and thanks for the show.

Lol, just when I thought CheapyD would shrugh Hilary's comment off and move on with the show, he pulls out the pwnage mobile and fucking lays the name card OUT! We were all thinking it, Cheapy... we were all thinking it.

Nice one.

Cheapy, your argument about the PS3 not having downloadable movies has always been a bad one to say the least. The PS3's initial driving cause was for Blu-Ray to win the Format war. If they had downloadable movies from the beginning, it would hurt their Blu-Ray division, and sales of both software and the PS3 hardware.

As it comes to failure rates, If you took the estimated 30% by some people and the Microsoft # of 3-5% (4% average), and divided them, you'd have, low and behold, 17%. Most surveyers are lazy, as I've done a few myself. They're not worth doing, and if you have to do them, you want them done as quickly as possible.

[quote name='KingBroly']Cheapy, your argument about the PS3 not having downloadable movies has always been a bad one to say the least. The PS3's initial driving cause was for Blu-Ray to win the Format war. If they had downloadable movies from the beginning, it would hurt their Blu-Ray division, and sales of both software and the PS3 hardware.[/QUOTE]

I think you may be off here. The PS3's initial drive was to sell gaming consoles. Then when there were no good games available they repositioned it in the market as a Blu-Ray player, and thus by necessity didn't offer the amount of video downloads that anyone would have hoped for.

Saying they released the PS3 to win the HD format war is essentially trying to justify it being "also a gaming system" instead of recognizing what it is supposed to be in the first place: a next gen video game console that also plays Blu-Ray.

I thought CheapyD downloaded the PSP demo as well as the PS3 demo of MLB08.
I am sad to hear Wombat lost his job opportunity. The Shipwrecks were really good this week. I credit myself for recommending PixelJunk Monsters. I think it loosened them up.That and the new couch.

Wombat, I'm soooooo pissed at you!!! Why didn't you say something?

I know he was joking, but when Cheapy said"Hey, Just PM Wombat, Let him take you on a personal tour and to dinner, he'll let you sleep with his wife.", I felted he took it too far.

I just knew you was going to say something after the weird pause. Oh!, you did say something. You said "probably"!

PROBABLY?? PROBABLY?? I probably would have curse Cheapy's bitch ass out for that shit!!

I would have got on a plane, flew to Tokyo, punched him in his mouth, took his iMac and made his bald ass a wig out of shit and undigested corn!!

You really shouldn't let Mrs. Wombat hear this podcast since she's already pissed at him.

Oh yeah, don't give up trying to get a dream job working in the video game industry.

Cheapy, I totally agree, Professor Layton's math puzzles hurt my brain too. I love the story and characters but some of the puzzles are ridiculously hard. I did much better with a lot of the other types of puzzles but anything involving numbers hurts my brain cells...

Btw, Wombat, I hope Mrs. Wombat gets well soon. ^^

Thanks for answering my SSBB question, Cheapy. I look forward to Wombat's impressions. GAME SET!

Oh yea, my 360 never broke *knock on wood* so I guess I'm the only CAG here who hasn't red-ringed. :)

Haha!!

Cheapy did the mention of some era. I immediately did the Ted Kennedy thing and a second later, he did the same thing. :D

holy crap, wombat totally nailed married life. It was like I was having a flashback to yesterday. BTW the best ps2 compilations are the 2 capcom compilations, metal slug anthology, sega genesis, and the taito compilations (worth it just for Rastan). I made the apple conversion 2 years ago and I never looked back.

This might be hard to believe, but I actually just chose listening to the CAG cast over Howard Stern. I know that Cheapy loves Stern, and I do, too. Stern even got me started on reading (after reading "Miss America") to the point where I reluctantly admit, now, that my favorite books are 19th century Russian literature. Anyway, I love stern and I started downloading, uhm....borrowing, his recent stuff and I stopped to listen to this podcast.
This better be good. Thanks a lot, guys.

My launch elite didn't red ring, but the disc drive failed in September so I'm on my second one. 16% is crazy low.
I think it's funny how seriously people take the abusive banter between Cheapy and Wombat. I know some of the issues are real but this is just how most guys talk to each other. BTW that's not necessarily directed at you, evil_twin.

Still listening to the show, but I just wanted to say that both the game and movie Jumper are terrible. I was at the press screening and I can say that neither are recommended. The movie seemed like it could have been good, mindless action, but it turned out to be bad, mindless acting. Hayden Christensen was about as charismatic as a 2x4 and Rachel Bilson played a more believable role on the OC. Overall, the problem with the film is that every single character and interaction is completely unbelievable--there is not a single "human" reaction in the entire film.

Without ruining the movie for others, I will say this: If you are expecting a movie full of epic battles between "jumpers," prepare to be disappointed. The action sequences are infrequent and the number of "jumpers" is far fewer than the trailers would have you believe. Aside from that, the plot holes are abundant but I'm uncomfortable discussing them here for fear of "ruining" the movie for someone. If you're going to see one movie in a theatre this month, don't even bittorrent this one.

Cheapy, I remember that place in penn station, there was another big arcade in time's square I think it was called Playland but the only time I went there I could just barely reach the joysticks so I don't have a good memory of it. The arcade I frequented the most was Chinatown Fair which is still there by the way. I even worked there for a while in high school. It's the place where people protested over the dancing chicken machine because there was a real chicken in the there and I guess it danced when you put your quarters in because the floor got hot.

[quote name='evil_twin']Wombat, I'm soooooo pissed at you!!! Why didn't you say something?

I know he was joking, but when Cheapy said"Hey, Just PM Wombat, Let him take you on a personal tour and to dinner, he'll let you sleep with his wife.", I felted he took it too far.

I just knew you was going to say something after the weird pause. Oh!, you did say something. You said "probably"!

PROBABLY?? PROBABLY?? I probably would have curse Cheapy's bitch ass out for that shit!!

I would have got on a plane, flew to Tokyo, punched him in his mouth, took his iMac and made his bald ass a wig out of shit and undigested corn!!

You really shouldn't let Mrs. Wombat hear this podcast since she's already pissed at him.

Oh yeah, don't give up trying to get a dream job working in the video game industry.[/quote]

Internet Seriousbusiness.

Hey guys, another great show as always.

Cheapy I was wondering, do school kids still get days off when popular games, (e.g. Super Smash Brothers: Brawl) are released? I remember hearing years ago that when certain popular games came out, schools would give the students a day off because they know they wouldn't come in, since they're playing the new release. Do you know if this still happens these days?

Also, yo yo yo shiver me timbers!

[quote name='Keiotic']Hey guys, another great show as always.

Cheapy I was wondering, do school kids still get days off when popular games, (e.g. Super Smash Brothers: Brawl) are released? I remember hearing years ago that when certain popular games came out, schools would give the students a day off because they know they wouldn't come in, since they're playing the new release. Do you know if this still happens these days?

Also, yo yo yo shiver me timbers![/QUOTE]

As far as I know, they only do that when Dragon Quest games are released.

Hey guys, great show as usual. I'm getting really hooked on the show, Really enjoying them while playing my 360. By the way, thanks for the tip on Rez HD, I'm really enjoying the game, and hope to improve soon.

Anyway great show again, looking forward to next week's.

CheapyD, You Do Know Super Smash Bro Brawl is Online Play with anyone or play with a friend right? .... it true you do need friends to enjoy this game ...... you need friends lol anyways it online GIVE IT A CHANCE!

Wombat did you really just suggest that the take the nintendo dual screen (DS) and turn it into a one screen product haha. I love you man you crack me up!

Not being from New York (though I do vacation there a lot) I feel a little dickish pointing this out, but...

There are a few good indy game stores. Probably my favorite one right now is VIDEOGAMESNEWYORK . It has an incredibly diverse selection of games; Colecovision, Saturn, Neo Geo, Game and Watch... And the prices are reasonable if you look for deals.

It's not as good as Multimedia1.0 was (I recall reading that the stores are distant cousins somehow) but it's easy to kill an hour in there. It's in the neighborhood of Toy Tokyo so, you should stop by.

JnL in China Town is 98% overpriced stuff. However if you're patient and willing to look carefully, you will inevitably find a good price. If you're an import or retro gamer, make sure you do your homework before going there as the staff has no qualms about selling you a used Samba De Amigo for the Dreamcast for $60 claiming that it's "very, very rare".

Across the street in the china town mall (next to the police station), downstairs there's a few anime/toy shops and one game shop. Now this one might be out of business, I haven't been there for a few years, but you'll find a much smaller selection of import games than JnL but with slightly better prices. I have, in the past, successfully talked them down on price but you have a 10% shot of pulling it off (I told them that JnL had it for cheaper but they were assholes. They seemed to like that).

Also enjoy the large selection of bootleg goods in neighboring stores.

Finally near The Dumpling Man, there's a little toy shop like Toy Tokyo (the name escapes me, but it's maybe two stores over with a large japanese flag sign) with a lot of cool game toys. It's like 1/5th the size of Toy Tokyo but it's still worth checking out.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Wombat did you really just suggest that the take the nintendo dual screen (DS) and turn it into a one screen product haha. I love you man you crack me up![/QUOTE]

No, I was thinking two more streamlined screens with less of a gap between the two. But I am aware what I said may have been confusing.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone with a Zune try to listen and it just froze their Zune?[/quote]

Episode 105 froze on my Zune, but 106 was fine. I've been listening to 107 on my MacBook, but I'll put it on the Zune later and give it a try.

Wombat, sorry bout the job opportunity. Hopefully something will come your way soon enough, you definitely deserve it.

Great episode so far, I'll get back to it once I'm out of class. I'm actually typing this on my new touch, Cheapy! Have you looked in to Jailbreaking it? I JB my touch and the access to all the new applications is amazing. Check out user ipodtouchmaster on youtube for tutorials and info on it.

Patsy's is way overrated. Two boots is good, the best pizza is Grimbaldi's in Brooklyn and Totonno's (multiple locations) is better than Patsy's if your staying in Manhattan.

Hey wombat maybe you can open up a bed and breakfast slash brothel soon. I'd like to start planning a trip around this and maybe we could set something up. I already have a name for you..."Wombat's sloppy seconds." (see a food and sex theme!) Starring all of your numerous girlfriends as the employees of course.

The 16% number is from SquareTrade. I'm sure it's accurate, but it doesn't take into account that SquareTrade warranty purchasers aren't prevented from sending their broken 360s directly to MS for repair instead.

[quote name='Kestastrophe']Does anyone have a transcript of Cheapy's comments on IGN? What time in the podcast does he address this?[/quote]
About 24 minutes in...

[quote name='Wombat']No, I was thinking two more streamlined screens with less of a gap between the two. But I am aware what I said may have been confusing.[/QUOTE]

That would fuck up any current games that show one image on both screens. They put the space between the screens in the aspect ratio.
Example:
metroid-prime-hunters-first-hunt-demo-20041109061540311_640w.jpg

Also, why can I hear your wife coughing in the background? I thought you had your own office now.

Way to hit em while they're down Cheapy, what you said regarding Wombat's wife was a little out of line. imo I bet both you and your wife would have been pissed if Wombat would have said something like "visit Cheapy D in tokyo his wife love you long time!" plus steak dinner. Plus you don't have a good rapport with Mrs. Wombat so anyway... you know.

anyway it was a good show overall.

Once the PS3 has all its feature(s) in place, I mean its going to be hard for anyone to really justify why they're paying for XBL's service. Other than learned helplessness of course. I think the Jan NPD numbers have changed the importance of GDC; there's more pressure on MS to have a good showing at GDC because they need to show the industry that their console isn't loosing steam.

As for the DS... I think the world has had enough of the DS... when you guys were talking new DS, I was thinking about basically a successor not a redesign. I think its time that Nintendo makes a new Gameboy (or DS) or if they redesign the DS, it'd be good if it could use the OLED screen from sony (fat chance) or something similar in terms of width, thoese screens are paper thin and somewhat bendable. Using the OLED tech could result in the screens being closer together. But overall I think people want a DS with PSP functionality.

OK, here's some of my comments. CheapyD that was the fakiest nice you've ever been to Wombat. It was so fake, it was mean. But in a way Wombat deserved it today. HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF LORD VADER!!!!!!! George Lucas is my God, and he chose Hayden Christianson to play Anakin Skywaker, so who are you to say that God is wrong! You're just jealous that you didn't get picked to play Anakin. The Lucasfilm costume department would be pissed if you split those pants. Remeber an actor is only as good as the director, and even I agree the movies would have been better if Steven Speilberg directed them.

Good show, guys. You both seemed like you were a little...out of energy, but finding out that Cheapy was sick and Wombat was down, it makes sense, and it still was a good show to listen to.

Wombat, that really sucks about the job, but you know, to try to find a silver lining, you're getting noticed now, by the companies you want to work for...maybe it's just a sign of more opportunities to come...I visit UGO everyday to check out what you have to say, I'm sure others here do, too, so I'm sure that can't hurt. Also I hope Mrs. Wombat and Cheapy feel better soon. I seem to have finally caught the cold/flu thing going around my office, luckily I have the three-day weekend to relax, play video games, and hopefully get better.

I completely agree with Cheapy's analysis of Hillary's comment on the IGN podcast. It really sounded like a setup, or like shtick. While Wombat raises a great point that it was obvious they didn't listen to the episode and therefore took what was said completely wrong...well, as I said, it sounded more like shtick than anything really inflammatory.

Wow, Jumper has 15% on rottentomatoes.com. Not that I'd expect the game to be any good, but wow, that REALLY doesn't bode well.

If they release a new DS, I think they might add some on-board memory. Or a better way to use something like an SD card for DLC and demos and such. Of course, if they do release a new one, and they change the interfaces, especially the power interface, I think a lot of people will be annoyed. The best part of the DS Phat to me was that I could use my GBASP power accessories for it (like the car charger), which was lost when the DS Lite came around. I hope they'd keep that kind of thing the same, so I don't have to go out and buy all new accessories, which are important to me because of how much I travel.

I actually charged my PSP so I could give it a go, but I haven't had time yet, as my handheld time is being spent with Professor Layton. I love the story and graphics in the game, but for me, the puzzles aren't too hard. I'm only having real troubles with the picture ones, the ones where you have to rearrange the tiles...hopefully I can get better at those (I have 50 puzzles solved, 52 found, the only 2 I haven't solved are the picture ones, 107 and 112 I think...). I'm looking forward to trying Patapon, probably when I have to charge my DS. I also grabbed the first downloadable puzzle for Professor Layton, I really like that they've already added DLC, even though they COULD have added it to the game, since they're not charging, it's OK in my book. :)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to next week's show and your responses to GDC. How will you guys be following it? Is there a favorite blog/site you go to for your GDC news? I subscribe to the Joystiq and Kotaku RSS feeds, but I tend to prefer Joystiq's writing...plus, I think they'll be doing at least one podcast from the show, so I really look forward to that.

/tk

[quote name='MSUHitman']Anyone with a Zune try to listen and it just froze their Zune?[/quote]

Yeah, I think the encoding is fucked up so that it doesn't work on Zunes. I am able to play it through the PC side client, but man if messes up my Zune.

Cheapy, can you look into this?

bread's done
Back