Video games and Media Mail...

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It can take up to 2-4 weeks to be delivered. It's a lot easier/faster to just send it First Class, it costs about ~$2.50 to ship anywhere in the lower 48.

[quote name='sasukekun']Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It can take up to 2-4 weeks to be delivered. It's a lot easier/faster to just send it First Class, it costs about ~$2.50 to ship anywhere in the lower 48.[/QUOTE]

Yea no point. Its a little bit more to ship first class and it will only take 2-3 days usually that way. Media mail will take forever.

[quote name='sasukekun']Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It can take up to 2-4 weeks to be delivered. It's a lot easier/faster to just send it First Class, it costs about ~$2.50 to ship anywhere in the lower 48.[/quote]

Good advice. Game price for First Class through Paypal including DC range from $1.82 (4oz) to about $2.33 (7oz). I believe this is actually cheaper than Media Mail which starts at $2.33 for the first pound, IIRC.

I just wanted to know, because supposedly Sony sent out the GoW PSP demos through Media Mail some time ago, and I wasn't even sure if video games were eligible for Media Mail.
Thanks for answering you guys.
I always ship First Class w/DC... Just for the record! :lol:

I know I have. I genrally ship games first class though. FC is usually a few cents more and it gets to where ever within a week. The best way to judge if you can sed something via media mail is to think wether or not it can be found in a library. In the case of games, if you were to x-ray the package it would look like a dvd and those you can find in the library.

First class all the way, besides... they don't really like it if you send video games media mail, so don't abuse the system or it will be more expensive to send real books.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']First class all the way, besides... they don't really like it if you send video games media mail, so don't abuse the system or it will be more expensive to send real books.[/quote]

Why wouldn't they like it? I found this which is just stupid. Media mail allows DVDs/CDs/Computer Software so why would video games be any different?[quote name='"http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm"']recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes).[/quote] I can see that there may be some gray area with DS, GBA, and other cart based games, but optical media seems pretty clear to me.

Funnily Go-Gamer's dirt cheap shipping is media mail, and they put an advertising flyer in the box, which makes it ineligible for media mail as [quote name='"http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm"']Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books[/quote].:lol: Media mail's regulation actually states [quote name='"http://pe.usps.gov/text/qsg300/Q370.htm"']Books may contain no advertising other than incidental announcements of other books.[/quote] So I guess that means no periodicals.

I've also found an old thread that claim video games are ineligible for media mail because "Video games are not educational." I didn't read the whole thread but I think that postal clerk needs to read the media mail regulations as they say nothing about media mail being exclusively for educational material.

Video Games aren't eligible for medial mail. They're not computer readable. As such, it's cheaper/faster to send it First Class anyway or Priority Flat Rate if you have a bunch anyway. It's not really education limited but it's mainly just so educational institutions/hospitals and others providing reference info can send it cheaply back and forth.

Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs. Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes.

[quote name='davo1224']Video Games aren't eligible for medial mail. They're not computer readable. As such, it's cheaper/faster to send it First Class anyway or Priority Flat Rate if you have a bunch anyway. It's not really education limited but it's mainly just so educational institutions/hospitals and others providing reference info can send it cheaply back and forth.[/quote]
That's funny. My desktop computer can read video games. It can't do anything with the data it reads though. Good thing my game consoles (which are nothing more than specialized computers) can. Either USPS officials need to narrow down what they refer to as a computer or make a video game clause.

This issue came up a year or two ago in another thread on media mail (a different one from the one in mguiddy's post above).

All speed issues aside, you should never send video games media mail because the post office can and will inspect packages occasionally. More than once I have had to pay postage due on a package sent media mail and found to have video games (one instance was Mario DDR from EBgames :bomb:).

Even if you manage to get the post office to accept the package media mail, they might not deliver it without charging the additional fees. From what I can tell, it seems they can do the inspection at any point along its journey. Better safe than sorry if you care about your ebay/trader rating/etc.

[quote name='jerfgoke']This issue came up a year or two ago in another thread on media mail (a different one from the one in mguiddy's post above).

All speed issues aside, you should never send video games media mail because the post office can and will inspect packages occasionally. More than once I have had to pay postage due on a package sent media mail and found to have video games (one instance was Mario DDR from EBgames :bomb:).

Even if you manage to get the post office to accept the package media mail, they might not deliver it without charging the additional fees. From what I can tell, it seems they can do the inspection at any point along its journey. Better safe than sorry if you care about your ebay/trader rating/etc.[/quote]

Was it the bundle? Wait... you bought a game from EBGames and they shipped it media mail? And you had to pay the postage due? Did you complain to EB about that? If that was the bundle there is no way that should have been shipped media mail and EB should have known that. That would be like shipping an encyclopedia set, with wooden bookcase, media mail. Things like the DDR bundles, Guitar hero bundles, rockband bundles, Legendary edition halo 3, prey collectors edition, bioshock limited edition, etc should not be shipped media mail, as they all contain extras that are definitely not eligible for media mail.

And it is posted all over the post office (mine at least) that all media mail is subject to inspection. There is no right to privacy with media mail.

[quote name='mguiddy']Was it the bundle? Wait... you bought a game from EBGames and they shipped it media mail? And you had to pay the postage due? Did you complain to EB about that? If that was the bundle there is no way that should have been shipped media mail and EB should have known that. That would be like shipping an encyclopedia set, with wooden bookcase, media mail. Things like the DDR bundles, Guitar hero bundles, rockband bundles, Legendary edition halo 3, prey collectors edition, bioshock limited edition, etc should not be shipped media mail, as they all contain extras that are definitely not eligible for media mail.[/QUOTE]Correct, it was the full bundle with pad and everything. I didn't bother complaining because it was the week before Christmas and I figured it wasn't worth the hassle for $3 or whatever it came out to. Probably should have though, for principle if nothing else.

The post office there was pretty clear that video games of any sort were not covered under media mail (they had signs up). It's probably less likely that you will be searched, though, if your package looks like a standard DVD mailer rather than a huge box.

I guess my point is that a main reason people ship via media mail (sending a bunch of games at once) is one of the things making it more likely you will get searched and possibly have to pay the difference anyway. Unfortunately, the policy seems pretty irrational and unevenly enforced, leading to all this confusion.

[quote name='jerfgoke']Correct, it was the full bundle with pad and everything. I didn't bother complaining because it was the week before Christmas and I figured it wasn't worth the hassle for $3 or whatever it came out to. Probably should have though, for principle if nothing else.

The post office there was pretty clear that video games of any sort were not covered under media mail (they had signs up). It's probably less likely that you will be searched, though, if your package looks like a standard DVD mailer rather than a huge box.

I guess my point is that a main reason people ship via media mail (sending a bunch of games at once) is one of the things making it more likely you will get searched and possibly have to pay the difference anyway. Unfortunately, the policy seems pretty irrational and unevenly enforced, leading to all this confusion.[/quote]

Yeah. Sounds like some individual POs take it upon themselves to determine what is media mail eligible. Which is scary if the package gets inspected at a PO that thinks only educational material is eligible.

Were the signs official looking or some kind of printout?

[quote name='mguiddy']Yeah. Sounds like some individual POs take it upon themselves to determine what is media mail eligible. Which is scary if the package gets inspected at a PO that thinks only educational material is eligible.

Were the signs official looking or some kind of printout?[/QUOTE]It's been almost a year since I was there, but I think they had both actually. The official ones basically just listed the types of things eligible for media mail, and the other ones were just a notice printed on white paper mentioning something about video games. Don't remember exactly what, but it stood out since at the time there was a thread on the forum here.

I send mine out through media mail. There was only one time there was ever a problem and I had to explain to them that the game is on a dvd, so that should count. They just went like "oh, ok". :)

IMO disc based video games qualify, but I've also heard similar things to what jerfgoke is saying that some POs won't do it. My suggestion is to be truthful about what is in your package if a clerk asks but don't say 'video games' if you can help it.

[quote name='jerfgoke']It's been almost a year since I was there, but I think they had both actually. The official ones basically just listed the types of things eligible for media mail, and the other ones were just a notice printed on white paper mentioning something about video games. Don't remember exactly what, but it stood out since at the time there was a thread on the forum here.[/quote]

My local PO has the official signs, all probably do, at every register. Sounds like the printouts were a decision by a local or maybe regional postmaster, which I guess might be in their power to do, but seems wrong to me.

As to being truthful, it isn't a lie to say that there is a DVD/CD/Blu-Ray inside the package. :cool:

Again, why try and skirt the issue? You'd usually overpay by doing media mail vs. first class. There's also no reason to send it out media mail and hope it gets there without being inspected and possibly lost/stolen.

[quote name='jerfgoke']
[/QUOTE]

They sent me a Beatmania bundle through media mail as well. I didn't have to pay extra though even though the box was resealed saying the post office inspected it.

Wth media mail, they have the right to inspect the package, as of what I've seen. So you might as well go with 1st class.

[quote name='Josef']Some major game retailers (Gamestop being one of them) ship games through media mail.[/quote]I've received media mail shipped games from:

Amazon.com
EB.com/GS.com
Buy.com
Walmart.com
JR.com
BestBuy.com
CircuitCity.com
CompUSA.com
Overstock.com

I received console systems from Amazon via media mail. I'm pretty sure this isn't allowed.

For games only, I received them mostly via media mail from major retailers. They feel, sound and weigh like DVDs anyway.

My Post office told me that Video Games Qualify, but systems don't. I ship about 10-20 games for my business each week, and i think that fist class is cheaper/much faster, The only time Media would be cheaper is if you are shippping a massive load of CDs

save yourself the headache and send it first class. pretty much everything i received that was sent media mail received some sort of damage in transit.

[quote name='phear3d']save yourself the headache and send it first class. pretty much everything i received that was sent media mail received some sort of damage in transit.[/quote]
Troof

[quote name='phear3d']save yourself the headache and send it first class. pretty much everything i received that was sent media mail received some sort of damage in transit.[/quote]

But the whole point is we are cheapasses, and want to save as much money as possible. $0.30 saved on shipping is still $0.30 saved.

[quote name='mguiddy']I've also found an old thread that claim video games are ineligible for media mail because "Video games are not educational." I didn't read the whole thread but I think that postal clerk needs to read the media mail regulations as they say nothing about media mail being exclusively for educational material.[/quote]

Man, I hate to revive an old thread, but for the first time EVER I experienced the whole "Well, your computer games are not educational" so you can't send via media mail speech from a postal worker. I was trying to send out 8 games, but it was $10-$15 to send out 8 games, but media mail was $3.49. I literally had postal workers arguing with me that the software must be educational in nature.

I left, went to my car, busted out my phone and went to the USPS web site. No where on there does it exclude video games and the only thing that must be educational need to be the reference charts. I went back inside and told them it was no where on the USPS site. Finally, they let me send it media mail, but told me that it could be opened and if found in violation I (or the receiver) would have to pay postage due. I said that was fine because I bought tracking for it.

I don't know... I'm thinking about writing USPS for clarification on video games. What also busts me is that Amazon.com and Half.com both show baseline media mail fees when buying video games.

Thanks for hearing me out. Soooo frustrating!!! :bomb::bomb::bomb:

im getting a game through media mail.. i keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting.. i dont know who to blame at this point

ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

If it's one game or the package is 13 oz or less, I send first class. If more, media. I've never had any disc-based game sent via media mail destroyed nor have had any of my packages opened or inspected in the roughly 300 trades I've done cumulatively online. Could be my luck, but people send items that don't qualify via one method or another all the time. People send live animals via UPS when they shouldn't (barring fish, bees, and other such animals).

If you send it media, just make sure the other party is fine with it. If it's anything valuable, then you might want to send first class or priority, or insure the media package at the least.

If your package is less than 13 oz. always send it FC with DC it is cheaper and faster...
Never, ever send anything Media Mail without DC....way too many packages lost and it's only 17 cents when you pay through PayPal.

Yeah, I always use first class when sending 1 (maybe 2) games, but in this case it was almost a $10 difference between media and first class or priority --- I was sending 8 computer games. Historically, I've never had an issue with media mail.

I think the frustrating part is that these workers say "educational only" verbally, but no where does it say this in their rules --- nor does it mention the exclusion of computer games. They did have a sign hidden in the corner, but you can tell that they printed this themselves --- it definitely wasn't an official USPS publication. I did put DC on it too just in case.

I've been using Media Mail w/ DC for videogames for years. Everything I've ever sent has arrived in the condition I sent it in according to the recipient, no packages have ever been lost, and shipment usually takes 2-7 days to either coast...although up to 7 days is rare.

There seems to be a lot of these unwritten "rules" that postal works simply make up. For what reason, I don't know.

I had one (was not a regular at the post office I visit in my city) try to stop me from sending something in a flat rate envelope once, because there was tape on the flap. Not only is this not against any postal regulation, it actually says on the USPS website that you can do this to reinforce the flap, as long as the glue on the flap is the primary reason it is being held in place. I simply brought it to another post office about 15 blocks down and had no problem. Never had a problem before or after, either.

If I were sending more than one game and the package would be over the 13 oz First Class rule, then THIS is what I bump up to. It's just SAFER and FASTER than being a 'cheapass' and sending via the slowest possible rate around(Media).

Priority Mail Flat Rate shipping envelopes:

$4.60 for anywhere in the US, $9.00 for anywhere in Canada and Mexico. Tack on Delivery Confirmation, carefully pack that envelope and you have a HELL of a deal still.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I were sending more than one game and the package would be over the 13 oz First Class rule, then THIS is what I bump up to. It's just SAFER and FASTER than being a 'cheapass' and sending via the slowest possible rate around(Media).

Priority Mail Flat Rate shipping envelopes:

$4.60 for anywhere in the US, $9.00 for anywhere in Canada and Mexico. Tack on Delivery Confirmation, carefully pack that envelope and you have a HELL of a deal still.

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm[/quote]

Again, for me, the postal worker didn't even offer this. It was either a $15 or $10 option... something was incredible fishy...

[quote name='hordak']Again, for me, the postal worker didn't even offer this. It was either a $15 or $10 option... something was incredible fishy...[/quote]

Well, what kind of games were they? Unless they were like cart/card only GB or DS games, they aren't all going to fit into the flat rate envelope suggested about by IATCG.

You probably weren't using those flat rate priority envelopes/boxes.

[quote name='hordak']Again, for me, the postal worker didn't even offer this. It was either a $15 or $10 option... something was incredible fishy...[/quote]

[quote name='hordak']Again, for me, the postal worker didn't even offer this. It was either a $15 or $10 option... something was incredible fishy...[/QUOTE]

There's always a postal worker or two who a) doesn't know what current policy is (or is too lazy to follow it), or b) wants to feel more important by saying you're not following the rules.

There's a lady at my local post office like this- nice enough lady, but no idea what she's talking about- she actually told me once you can't buy DC for a package sent Priority Mail. I dread coming into the post office and seeing her at the counter.

Media Mail in most cases costs more than First Class. I send everything first class. Usually gets to destination in 2-3 days.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, what kind of games were they? Unless they were like cart/card only GB or DS games, they aren't all going to fit into the flat rate envelope suggested about by IATCG.[/quote]

I had 8 pc games complete in boxes packed into a shoebox. So, you're right... they'd never fit into a flat rate envelope. ;)

Sending 1 game is always much cheaper first class, but multiple games, it's way cheaper to go media mail.

Sending 1 game is always much cheaper first class, but multiple games, it's way cheaper to go media mail.
Indeed. Can't you send like 10 pounds for like $5 via media mail?

Another good option for larger shipments of games can be, as mentioned earlier, the Priority Mail flat rate boxes.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. Can't you send like 10 pounds for like $5 via media mail?

Another good option for larger shipments of games can be, as mentioned earlier, the Priority Mail flat rate boxes.[/quote]

My shipment came out to $3.49 for 4lb .9oz via media mail. This doesn't include DC.

I'll have to keep in mind the priority mail flat rate boxes should I need to do this again. Way less trouble and way less arguments... maybe this is USPS's goal. ;)

I checked the tracking number just now... it was processed about 40 miles away from the post office I went to. Though, to everyone else's point, it may checked along the way. Fingers crossed!

I'll have to keep in mind the priority mail flat rate boxes should I need to do this again. Way less trouble and way less arguments... maybe this is USPS's goal. ;)
Yeah, I use mostly the flat rate envelopes and boxes for everything, unless it would be clearly cheaper for me to go another route or if it simply wouldn't be possible to safely fit everything. They give you the envelopes and boxes for free, and delivery confirmation is included in the shipping price. No one has every complained on eBay or here for paying a little more for the 2-3 day shipping, and I have 4.7 rating on S&H charges on eBay, so I think this has worked out well for me.

This is why you educate yourself on the shipping rates/options, you don't wait for someone at the PO to 'offer it'.

As for the GBA and the like type of games, you could simply fold down the boxes and ship them alongside the carts/cards, which you would wrap in some sort of bubble wrap. This is unless you were offering the game 'new/sealed', in which case I don't think the buyer would like to receive an opened and gutted game.

Oh and bigdaddy, DC has always been optional and NOT included in the shipping cost for me when using the flat rate envelopes/boxes, though I go to the actual post office and don't pay for shipping through Paypal or whatever. So, maybe that's why it's included for you.

Oh and Hordak, at one point Media Mail was trackable at MANY stops along its route to its destination, but it seems like someone higher up at the PO said that for that cheap of a shipping rate it's not a priority to give full tracking.

I know this first hand because my first 3-10 packages that I sent to other CAGs was scanned at every stop along its route, but lately I'm lucky if the stuff is scanned at the beginning and end of its trip. This is with Priority Mail even now.

Oh and bigdaddy, DC has always been optional and NOT included in the shipping cost for me when using the flat rate envelopes/boxes, though I go to the actual post office and don't pay for shipping through Paypal or whatever. So, maybe that's why it's included for you.

Ah, yes, you're right. My mistake. But paying for it through PayPal is a good idea for anyone interested, especially considering that you do get the DC free.

bread's done
Back