Audiosurf is amazing!

Razzuel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Wow I mean this game is amazing. It just got released today so you can buy it off the website or off of Steam (since it is the first Steamworks game). It is only $9.95.

So Audiosurf is a game that uses your music to create a track (a track like a point to point race track) and you surf along it with one of the many characters. Each character has their own perk/special ability which changes how the game is played for the most part. The object of the game is to get the highest score by getting the same color of the blocks that you pass by on the track.

Here's the website http://www.audio-surf.com/

This game is so awesome though. Each song I have chosen so far has worked great and it is a hell of a lot of fun.

Oh side note if you buy the game on Steam you get the Orange Box Soundtrack with it.

It is indeed awesome. If you're tricky enough, you can get a cracked beta version for free (although it lacks leaderboards).

[quote name='Liquid 2']It is indeed awesome. If you're tricky enough, you can get a cracked beta version for free (although it lacks leaderboards).[/quote]

:cry: Dont get a cracked version please (not implying that you didn't buy it, only referring to everyone else viewing the thread). It's only 10 bucks and there is a demo so you can try it out before you buy it. I mean it really is worth it. The leaderboards are awesome though. I just got first place globally on Hallowed be thy Name by Iron Maiden using Elite Eraser (was about 89000 points). That song was epic man.

Just finished the demo. It was like playing a freeware racing game and listening to my music at the same time; the race tracks in no way felt connected to the songs.

Comparing scores with other players is really cool though.

Raz,

Please don't make posts like this. Do you have any idea how hard it is for some of us to resist a Steam download for only $10? I am very close to downloading this right now and then getting yelled at by my wife for buying yet another video game. Please think of people other than yourself before coming to these forums and causing trouble. Thanks.

[quote name='Serik']Just finished the demo. It was like playing a freeware racing game and listening to my music at the same time; the race tracks in no way felt connected to the songs.

Comparing scores with other players is really cool though.[/quote]

Hrmm...Maybe you aren't playing the right songs or maybe its too subtle for you...I don't know. Could just not be your type of game I guess. But yeah the leaderboards are cool. It's nice to check people globally and statewide. Plus it tells you everything about their score, accomplishments, or character. It even shows you a graph of their song to prevent cheating.

Oh and I'm sure this would work on plenty of PCs. I mean what do you define as a relic of a PC?

Uhh...spectre your post has this weird fusion of sarcasm and seriousness that I don't even know where to start with haha.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Raz,

Please don't make posts like this. Do you have any idea how hard it is for some of us to resist a Steam download for only $10? I am very close to downloading this right now and then getting yelled at by my wife for buying yet another video game. Please think of people other than yourself before coming to these forums and causing trouble. Thanks.[/quote]

Your wife has you by the balls. :drool:

It's too bad most women think of gaming as something only a child should be doing and a waste of time. How can you stand the constant nagging, especially over a $10 game? I don't think I could handle that; and it's always the women nagging about something the guys do, but the guys rarely bother them about stuff they do.

[quote name='Serik']Just finished the demo. It was like playing a freeware racing game and listening to my music at the same time; the race tracks in no way felt connected to the songs.[/quote]
Yup. All I can figure is that the people enjoying this are listening to some genre of music I hate (techno?), because what was happening on-screen had close to nothing to do with the music I chose.

[quote name='kmartbum001']Your wife has you by the balls. :drool:

It's too bad most women think of gaming as something only a child should be doing and a waste of time. How can you stand the constant nagging, especially over a $10 game? I don't think I could handle that; and it's always the women nagging about something the guys do, but the guys rarely bother them about stuff they do.[/quote]

I was really only kidding :p My wife is pretty cool about the video game habits. She plays some stuff like Rock Band and most Mario games with me as well. She even comes to PAX with me.

[quote name='tankexmortis']Yup. All I can figure is that the people enjoying this are listening to some genre of music I hate (techno?), because what was happening on-screen had close to nothing to do with the music I chose.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I tried it and the songs maybe on occasion got a drum beat right? Very unrelated to the music.

Sometimes the blocks sync up with something but most the time the track and the background are synced with the rhythm of the song.

[quote name='Razzuel']Sometimes the blocks sync up with something but most the time the track and the background are synced with the rhythm of the song.[/quote]
Oh.

Well what the hell's the point of that?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yea, I tried it and the songs maybe on occasion got a drum beat right? Very unrelated to the music.[/QUOTE]

You need to be stoned like I'm sure 99% of the people enjoying this game are.

Um well I don't know. The the game really plays well with me. I'm using the Eraser character mostly and I focus on collecting the blocks to make chains without getting an overfill while the background, track, and the music are synced up which I guess lets me "experience" the music. Hmm. I really don't know how to explain how I am having fun in words.

I'm trying a bunch of different songs which are different genres so no its not because you aren't playing techno. Maybe its not your type of game?

I mean if you don't like the game that's cool. I just wanted come on here and share all the fun I was having.

[quote name='the_punisher']I preordered it, and plan on playing tomorrow. I had a question though, is the soundtrack in-game only?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing, but didn't have the sense to look. It shouldn't be in game only, let me check one second.

Nope it's not in game only. All you have to do is go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\audiosurf\engine\ Orange Box Soundtrack

And its all in there in MP3 format at 192 kbps.

I like playing the Pusher character (push a block to an adjacent slot) and of course, Mono (gather the colored bocks while avoiding the bricks).

My favorite songs so far have been Free Bird and Satisfaction. The TF2 music works great. Haven't tried the rest of the Orange Box sound track yet.

I first heard about this game yesterday afternoon, downloaded the demo, and then bought it on Steam. I am really liking it so far, there is more to this game than meets the eye. The different vehicles are cool because they change the way you play somewhat. The leaderboards are really awesome along with the "achievements".

For the people saying the blocks don't match the music, a lot of times they don't. This isn't a Guitar Hero or Rock Band clone. The track slopes according to the beat of the song, also the explosions in the background that look like fireworks are in sync with the beat of the song.

And in case you were wondering, you can import any song into the game and it will sync it up. Getting the Orange Box soundtrack is also a sweet bonus.

No fucking way man...

I just got an email from Audiosurf and this is what it said:

"You used to have the worldwide best score for: white light by gorillaz
Now the Audiosurf player 'Redfox' has beaten you. Get back in the game and reclaim the top spot!"

Now that is bad ass.

yeah the demo is freakin sweet
i've downloaded/redownloaded a few times now
need me some paypal so i can download the full version

as with how it goes with the music, it's not exactly like guitar hero
mainly goes with the flow of the music, and not exactly with it

either way though, game is great
i think the hip hop genre is the best style for this game :p

The track and blocks sync up pretty well for me, but I'm playing ninja mono. It might not work quite right on the other characters.

Man I want to play this game Sooooo Bad. I was just about to preorder it, but then I decided to try the demo first. Well I downloaded it and it doesn't work! I get that white screen that says "www.audio-surf.com" and then it freezes and says that Questviewer.exe has stopped working. I can't find any way to fix it on the web. I really want to buy the game though.

bought my copy today :p
LOVE it
only problem i've had is that since some people name their songs different ways,
competitive side of it isn't so great
awesome game to run when you are bored and want to listen to some music :p

also, you get the entire Orange Box Soundtrack in MP3 format
just have to get into the program files to find it :p

Well I downloaded the official Steam Demo and it worked! So I bought the game and it is awesome.

By far the most insane song I have played is "Ibitsu" by Boris. You guys have to try out that song. "Calling You" By Blue October was also really good.

I also tried the demo and decided to buy it. It's amazing how close the tracks follow the songs you choose. Thanks for the recommendation op

Just bought it a few hours ago. Damn this thing is addicting. I'm going to be cool and make videos and upload them to YouTube like everyone else ;P

If YouTube gets my music out of sync I will be pissed.

I just looked at some videos of this game on Youtube and it looks like a blast. I'm going to have to pick this up when I get home. For 10 bucks it seems like you can't go wrong.

Yeah, I just got it and the game is a blast. I can't wait to dig in deeper into it. I really like house music and this game goes perfectly with songs with fast beats.

Crap. I love this game. A lot. I started the demo with one of my favorite songs (Salsa de Pepperuchou), and was hooked from there. And I'll probably be sick later from all the flashy lights and colors. ...Yep, there's that stripe of pain across the back of my head. *_*

I'm also going to fail tomorrow's anthropology test. *looks sadly at her already depleted paycheck* So much for this week. And weekend.

Just bought it.....this game is amazing. Simplistic. Challenging. High Scoreboards. Unlimited levels and soundtrack. 10 bucks. All this equals amazing addictive steal of a game. Yea do not download a cracked version. For one, its 10 bucks. For two, you need to support games like this. Three, I feel good paying for a game that offers, well, so much game.

I picked up the Thriller 25th anniversary disc today, and instead of listening to it, I threw it immediatly into Audiosurf.

Billie Jean and Thriller are both insanely fun to play.

You definitely can't play death metal or anything hectic with this game, it just won't seem like the track has anything to do with it.. But when you play a slower song, or a song with an obvious beat/rhythm, I think it syncs up pretty damn well. I played some of the less-heavy Deftones songs in the demo and they seemed like a match. Pretty good game, I'm on the fence about buying it..

[quote name='red flare graf']You definitely can't play death metal or anything hectic with this game, it just won't seem like the track has anything to do with it.. But when you play a slower song, or a song with an obvious beat/rhythm, I think it syncs up pretty damn well. I played some of the less-heavy Deftones songs in the demo and they seemed like a match. Pretty good game, I'm on the fence about buying it..[/quote]

agreed. I just played 2 godspeed you black emperor songs, and it was amazing. The slow parts mixed with the intensity...it was really awesome. The really really slow build up parts were a little boring and you can tell that the blocks are about .25 seconds off from the actual song. So you can see why fast metal is going to seem like its not going with the music at all.....i'm sure a patch will fix that soon.....

Bought it a couple days ago, can't stop playing it.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs are really fun. Played all of Stadium Arcadium today.

I just found the 'freeride' option that lets you just watch the music without worrying about the game aspects. Very nice. Kinda wish you could get some sort of score/grade for picking up percentages of the traffic, since the first song I played on it was DiGi Chatterdam, a 6-7 minute song over 300bpm that gave me serious hand cramps. It's also a good way to analyze how difficult a song might be in the other modes.

downloaded the demo. It's neat how you can use your own tracks, but the way the music works in the game is rather mediocre. It was rather boring, big disappointment.

[quote name='Zoglog']It's neat how you can use your own tracks, but the way the music works in the game is rather mediocre. It was rather boring, big disappointment.[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree up until the "big disappointment" part. I bought it blind - I read no previews, no threads like this, etc. It was only 9 bucks to preorder so I bought it anyway. It's a fun novelty but I don't know how much I'll really get out of it.

The email notifications when you get knocked out of the top spot are awesome, I just got one for "Shitlist" earlier.

For less than 10 bucks though it's kind of hard to feel disappointed by it, especially because this guy seems fairly dedicated to providing constant updates to the game. The leaderboard/community integration is pretty solid.

Been playing AudioSurf a whole lot - crazy cool madness. Been playing a lot of metal, tango and my own stuff. Some Command and Conquer soundtrack stuff too, cause Frank Klepacki is a pimp.

AudioSurf was well worth $10 for me. I've played for 10 hours so far, according to Steam.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I kind of agree up until the "big disappointment" part. I bought it blind - I read no previews, no threads like this, etc. It was only 9 bucks to preorder so I bought it anyway. It's a fun novelty but I don't know how much I'll really get out of it.

The email notifications when you get knocked out of the top spot are awesome, I just got one for "Shitlist" earlier.

For less than 10 bucks though it's kind of hard to feel disappointed by it, especially because this guy seems fairly dedicated to providing constant updates to the game. The leaderboard/community integration is pretty solid.[/QUOTE]

The cost is not disappointing at all. I'm just referencing based off all the buzz i've been hearing about this game.

[quote name='Ranger Rick']How fun is this to play high?[/quote]

I played it on a ladder. It wasn't very fun. I couldn't see the track very well. I think it is best to play nearer the ground like in a chair or something like that.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I played it on a ladder. It wasn't very fun. I couldn't see the track very well. I think it is best to play nearer the ground like in a chair or something like that.[/quote]

:drool:

bread's done
Back