Fun And Games With Xbox Live Customer Service - CS CALLED ME!!!!!!!!

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Some of you might remember that after the last dashboard update I tried to enter my first name (Malik) into the personal profile area and it wouldn't let me because it thought it was a bad word. Well, I tried again once you were able to update this information online through xboxlive.com. Once again I was denied.

imagemy0.jpg

So I decided to email XBL customer support and ask why my actual name was not allowed to be used. This is what we've got so far...

[quote name='Malik112099']
In my personal profile I am not allowed to input my ACTUAL name. Every time I enter my first name (Malik) I get this message: Your name contains a word or phrase that isn't allowed. Please try again. Why is my name not allowed?
[/quote]

[quote name='XBL CS']
Hello Malik,

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

I’m really sorry that you’re having a problem on your Xbox console. I understand that when you enter your name, you received an error message which tells you that it's not allowed.

The Code of Conduct (CoC) describes in everyday language the boundaries of appropriate player behavior. All players on Xbox Live (Account Owners, Account Users, and Guests) are responsible for playing in accordance with the code of conduct.

The subscriber to Xbox Live (account owner) reads and accepts the Terms of Use (TOU) to be able to subscribe to the service. The TOU explains what the service policies are. The subscriber is responsible for the use of the account by anyone, and the TOU applies to all players; anyone who uses the service must follow it. If you violate or the people using your account violate the TOU, we reserve the right to take the appropriate action against your account.

The Privacy Statement is the part of the Terms of Use that describes how personal information that is collected will be used. To know more about the Terms and Conditions on Xbox Live, please check on this link: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/resources/policies.htm.

If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply 'with history' (include any previous e-mail) so we can expedite our service to you. You may also call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we’ll be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 8am to 12mn US Central Time.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number 1058750831 when you call.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,

May
Xbox Customer Care[/quote]

[quote name='Malik112099']My question was not answered. Why is my name not allowed in my personal profile?[/quote]

[quote name='XBL CS']
Hello Malik,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a problem on Xbox Live. I understand that you want to know why is your name is not allowed on your personal profile on Xbox Live. About this matter, Malik, if our Xbox Live Database, if you have already registered your gamertag on Xbox Live and you enter the previous gamertag on Xbox Live, you will receive that error message. Please do not include any personal information in your Gamertag that you do not want other people to see. To create a Gamertag, use up to 15 characters without any spaces. Each Gamertag must be unique. We do not let customers use vulgar or offensive Gamertags. You can include the following characters as part of your Gamertag:

• Letters: a through z
• Numbers: zero through nine
• Characters: underscore ( _ )
Note Numbers were not available as Gamertag characters during the beta period.

You can use uppercase and lowercase letters in your Gamertag, and the case that you choose will display this way on the screen. However, when you sign in, you do not have to type the correct case, just type the correct name.

Note If you are having trouble signing up for Xbox Live , and you are using a Gamertag that starts with "OUT", you must remove the uppercase "OUT" from your Gamertag. You can either change the uppercase "OUT" to a lowercase version, or you can select another Gamertag. Gamertags that start with "OUT" in the name will not work effectively with Xbox Live . If you successfully create a Gamertag that starts with "OUT" in the name, you must delete the account and then use the account recovery feature to change your Gamertag to a lowercase "out" instead of the uppercase "OUT." You can then use your Gamertag correctly on the Xbox Live service.

If you select a name that another player is using or a name that we consider vulgar or offensive, you are prompted to select a different name. Gamertags are verified when you sign up to make sure that they are not vulgar or offensive. However, we reserve the right to force a user to change their Gamertag at any time if other players complain. We retire all Gamertags after use. Currently, we have no plans to re-use old Gamertags.

If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply 'with history' (include any previous e-mail) so we can expedite our service to you. You may also call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we’ll be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 8am to 12mn US Central Time.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number 1058750831 when you call.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,

Norman
Xbox Customer Care[/quote]

[quote name='Malik112099']You are not understanding. My FIRST NAME (Malik) is not allowed to be put in my personal profile as my first name. Xbox Live thinks that it is a bad word.[/quote]

[quote name='XBL CS']
Hello Malik,

We are very sorry that you are having this kind of issue. I understand that you are inquiring about why your gamertag is not being accepted on Xbox Live.

You may use this link for this:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/codeofconduct.htm
It will provide you with informations about the Xbox Live code of conduct and as to why your name is not being accepted by our systems.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call Xbox Phone Support at
1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 9am to 1am EST/ 6am to 10pm PST.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply ‘with history’ (include any previous e-mail) so we can expedite our service to you. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,
Rich
Xbox Customer Care Team

[/quote]

[quote name='Malik112099']This has nothing to do with my gamertag. My gamertag is fine. When I try to update my PERSONAL PROFILE with my ACTUAL BIRTH NAME, it is not allowing my first name (Malik). Why is my first name not allowed?
[/quote]

I finally get an answer:

[quote name='XBL CS']
Hello Malik,

As I understand, when you try to enter your profile name, Malik, you received an error message: “Your name contains a word or phrase that isn't allowed. Please try again”.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience that you have gone through and for the delayed reply.

Please be informed that, there is absolutely no recall and no need for a recall for Xbox 360 consoles.

As we have researched, Malik is actually one of the names of Allah (God in Islam), "King" in the absolute sense.

Therefore, this name is not allowed as profile name (online or offline) based on the rules of Xbox Code of Conduct (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/codeofconduct.htm):

Don't create a gamertag or motto that other users may be offended by, this includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, sexually explicit language, sexual innuendo, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

Don't create a gamertag or motto that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may also be considered inappropriate.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated.

You may reach North America Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) or international direct dial to US: 1- 425-635-7180 at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 9am to 1am EST/ 6am to 10pm PST.

Sincerely,
Dannii
Xbox Customer Care Team

[/quote]

[quote name='Malik112099']My father was born and raised in Jordan and Arabic is his first name. He was also raised Muslim. He told me that Malik is not another name used for Allah nor has he ever heard such a thing. I believe it is very unfair to me to block my birth name from my profile yet allow it in my gamertag. It makes no sense. My father also finds it odd that you would assume that he refers to God as Malik when he was raised in that culture and gave me that name. I can't believe that an organization like Microsoft and Xbox Live would basically tell me "sorry, deal with it." Are names like Mary, David or Jesus allowed? Those are all religious names which someone could find offensive. I expect more from a service like Xbox Live in which I actually pay to be a member. [/quote]

UPDATE!

XBL CS called me! The dude was real apologetic but still didn't really understand my problem because when he looked ta my account he saw "Malik" but i had to explain it was "|\/|alik." So....he is migrating my account to their in-house xbox and trying to get the same message (this can't end good). He is going to call me back very shortly to let me know how the "investigation" went.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']You should call and complain, and then get a free game out of all the hassling they sent you through.[/quote]

that would require talking to someone I don't understand...I'm still surprised my coffin made it to the right address...

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']You should call and complain, and then get a free game out of all the hassling they sent you through.[/quote]
The amount of time you'd waste talking (and waiting to talk to) to the idiots on MS customer service you could get a job that pays $5 an hour and buy a game quicker.

They gave me an automated response and I complained, saying I wanted to speak to an actual human via e-mail and not a program that catches keywords and delivers an auto-response. The next e-mail came from a customer service guy personally addressing my problem. Give that a shot.

I hate when companies send form letters for specific questions. what a bunch of fucking maliks over there at MS.

Did you add the bold to their reply or did MS? If MS, Dannii seems to be implying your mom gave you a religious slur for a first name...

If you want to have fun with them tell them you want to FAX a copy of your birth certificate to prove it is your real name so it will be allowed on your profile.

"Malik Yusef - bet your baby momma knows the name."

Sorry, that is just a line form a rap song.

Also, are you brown? We should start a brown people group on CAG.

[quote name='TC']Is Jesus allowed?[/quote]

I was going to ask the same thing. If not, that rules out lots of Latino folks.

Don't create a gamertag or motto that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may also be considered inappropriate.

^^ thats a pretty big net to cast. Do they have a team who determines what may be sensitive and inappropriate? Is the major the final arbiter on these issues? Do they have a Rhodes scholar in a cublicle putting names/places/events into a filter? Is Notorious BIG filtered out simply because of his notorious status?
If you're a patriotic resident of China, and you put your name as Chairman Mao, I guess that is filtered out?

I don't see why you can't even put "fuck You" as your name as it isn't visible to the public. Hell, you have Malik in your gamertag which is public.

My favorite part (aside from MS's amazing stupidity) is that for no apparent reason they mention that there are NO PLANS to recall 360s. That seems a little, uh, suspicious.

[quote name='Malik112099']I sent a reply (updated OP)...lets see how they respond to that.[/quote]

Hello Malik,

We are very sorry that you are having this kind of issue. I understand that you are inquiring about why your gamertag is not being accepted on Xbox Live.

You may use this link for this:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/codeofconduct.htm
It will provide you with informations about the Xbox Live code of conduct and as to why your name is not being accepted by our systems.

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call Xbox Phone Support at
1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) at your earliest convenience, and we will be happy to help you. We are open everyday from 9am to 1am EST/ 6am to 10pm PST.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply ‘with history’ (include any previous e-mail) so we can expedite our service to you. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,
Muhammed
Xbox Customer Care Team

[quote name='homeland']hilarious how the person that responds name is Muhammed. the irony[/quote]

No one replied with the name Muhammed, I put that name in there. And yes I did it for the irony.

[quote name='youbastards']Did you try putting spaces between the letters? It's not a solution, but it may work in the meantime...[/quote]

it is spelled like this on my profile: |\/|alik

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']No one replied with the name Muhammed, I put that name in there. And yes I did it for the irony.[/QUOTE]

For the irony and the lulz! \\:D/

Hey I just thought of something. I think it's CAG CrimGhost (I could be off on the spelling) and his gamertag is JesusSlays and some numbers.

:whistle2:k...
Last time I checked, Jesus was pretty religious. I think more people would associate Jesus with something religious then Malik. *shrugs*

Good luck, Malik... My bio read "Research shows that Xbox Live cures liverspots and promotes good vaginal health" for about a month with no problems. I've also had names and bios that could have been considered mildly offensive to Canadians and the Dutch. Wildly inconsistent corporate policies are good entertainment value.

[quote name='Scobie']Good luck, Malik... My bio read "Research shows that Xbox Live cures liverspots and promotes good vaginal health" for about a month with no problems. I've also had names and bios that could have been considered mildly offensive to Canadians and the Dutch. Wildly inconsistent corporate policies are good entertainment value.[/quote]
You've just been reported.

bread's done
Back