- - - - -

Unoffical Upgrade your PS3 HDD thread

#421 theblizzman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   157 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

theblizzman

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

The only reason I had to force the update today was because I had the bad 3.56 update from last week.

I had two different USB drives (one FAT and the other FAT32) because I was trying anything I could do to try and figure out why my upgrade was not working.

#422 nakanenui   O-O CAGiversary!   1854 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

When you put a new HDD in your PS3, it will want the same firmware update that you had on your PS3, whether you are still on 3.55 or on the new 3.56. Whereas prior you did not need to update the firmware when replacing with a new drive. I guess this is SONY doing cfw circumvention.

#423 Ultimate Matt X   TheUMX CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Ultimate Matt X

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

So to make sure I'm understanding this right I first need to backup my current hard drive to a FAT32 external, install my new hard drive, put the current firmware on my PS3 using a flash drive, and then do the data restore to get it from the external to the newly installed internal PS3 hard drive? Basically all the normal steps except for the issue with the firmware?

Also, since I bought a Western Digital hard drive I need to use their application to turn off the head parking feature. Can I just pop it in my notebook to do this and then take it out and put it in the PS3? It seems there is trouble trying to do this with an external case.

#424 Duo_Maxwell   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5752 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Duo_Maxwell

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

So to make sure I'm understanding this right I first need to backup my current hard drive to a FAT32 external, install my new hard drive, put the current firmware on my PS3 using a flash drive, and then do the data restore to get it from the external to the newly installed internal PS3 hard drive? Basically all the normal steps except for the issue with the firmware?

Also, since I bought a Western Digital hard drive I need to use their application to turn off the head parking feature. Can I just pop it in my notebook to do this and then take it out and put it in the PS3? It seems there is trouble trying to do this with an external case.

I think the firmware should stay same when you put the new drive in. You shouldn't have to reinstall it manually if on the right firmware, unless perhaps you had trouble with the latest update. Or at least that is how it worked the 2 times I;ve done mine. Also could be wrong but I thought the WD head parking feature is only for their "Green" HDDs so you may not have to do that depending on the kind you have. Funny thing was to me messing with the screws was the biggest pain. Seems almost too easy to strip the head on them...

#425 Ultimate Matt X   TheUMX CAGiversary!   2911 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Ultimate Matt X

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I do have to deal with head parking based on what I read, but luckily with the combination of my notebook computer and some boot disc I should be able to just pop it in, disable the feature, and then make it ready for the PS3.

#426 evisto   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Does anyone know if this hard drive will work in a 60GB launch system?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152242

I have already upgraded once before from the 60GB to a 320GB and now I want to get a 1TB drive.

In the item description it mentions:

"1 TB model are 12.5 mm high and may not be compatible with all notebook systems."

Can I assume that this won't fit in a launch 60GB system then?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

#427 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19859 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Does anyone know if this hard drive will work in a 60GB launch system?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152242

I have already upgraded once before from the 60GB to a 320GB and now I want to get a 1TB drive.

In the item description it mentions:

"1 TB model are 12.5 mm high and may not be compatible with all notebook systems."

Can I assume that this won't fit in a launch 60GB system then?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

It wont fit unless you take out the hdd case

#428 evisto   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

It wont fit unless you take out the hdd case

Ok, that's what I figured. So then this one (which is 9.5 mm in height instead of 12.5 mm) should fit the bill?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136546

I assume it's also better to go with the 5400 RPM instead of the 7200 ones?

#429 ROB64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1032 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

I thought WD made a 9.5mm 1 TB drive?

And yes, that one would work; just about any 9.5mm drive should work.
From what I've read, with the way the PS3 works, a 7200RPM drive won't be any faster than a 5400.

#430 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

1tb is limit on ps3s. People have used extension cords and hooked up 1.5 and 2tb hdd's, they format, but then ps3 black screens. Supposedly this was changed in firmware 3.30 or somewhere around there, as ive read people using > 1tb before but now they cannot.

Most 2.5" hdd's are 9.5mm. Those all fit fine. The biggest 9.5mm right now is 750gb. All 1tb's for now that ive seen are 12.5mm. If you have a phat ps3, you can remove the hard drive cage and a 12.5mm slides right in. There is no way to use a 12.5mm using the internal drive space on a slim.

Also keep in mind that some newer drives are coming with the new 4k style partitions, and if they dont have a jumper to go back to 256, they run 1/8th the speed on the PS3. So make sure the drive you are getting works with older devices properly.

#431 erequena   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

I just upgraded my HD about a month ago (500 GB Scorpio blue), since then however I've been getting a lot of stuttering on any pre-recorded video stored on the disc (QORE is downright unwatchable, game cutscenes, etc). This happens on content that was restored from backup and freshly installed content as well

Has any of you experienced this? Is there any solution known (other than purchasing a new disk preferably)? I tried searching in google, but couldn't find anything other than "Purchase a new disk"

#432 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

I just upgraded my HD about a month ago (500 GB Scorpio blue), since then however I've been getting a lot of stuttering on any pre-recorded video stored on the disc (QORE is downright unwatchable, game cutscenes, etc). This happens on content that was restored from backup and freshly installed content as well

Has any of you experienced this? Is there any solution known (other than purchasing a new disk preferably)? I tried searching in google, but couldn't find anything other than "Purchase a new disk"

Is your HDD model WD5000BEVT?

Google "wd aggressive head parking". Apparently, this feature works well on a computer OS but it's shit on a PS3. On a PS3, the head keeps parking and unparking which gives you the persistent stutter.

WD has a WDIDLE3 utility that seems to fix the issue. Its target drives are some other models but seems to work on Scorpio green. You'll need to hook up the drive on your PC and boot to DOS in order to run the utility. Again, google for more instructions. Mind you, using this utility on the Scorpio may void your warranty.

I may have to go through the procedure too when I'm ready to upgrade my PS3. Maybe I'll get a Seagate if it doesn't have this stutter problem to begin with.

#433 erequena   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

Is your HDD model WD5000BEVT?

Google "wd aggressive head parking". Apparently, this feature works well on a computer OS but it's shit on a PS3. On a PS3, the head keeps parking and unparking which gives you the persistent stutter.

WD has a WDIDLE3 utility that seems to fix the issue. Its target drives are some other models but seems to work on Scorpio green. You'll need to hook up the drive on your PC and boot to DOS in order to run the utility. Again, google for more instructions. Mind you, using this utility on the Scorpio may void your warranty.

I may have to go through the procedure too when I'm ready to upgrade my PS3. Maybe I'll get a Seagate if it doesn't have this stutter problem to begin with.

Thanks for the tip. My model is WD5000BPVT, but it's part of the same family, so I guess the same kind of problem applies. I'll do some research focused on the head parking or power saving settings of the drive and see what I can find.

Thanks!

#434 blitz6speed   Broken 360 D-Pad... CAGiversary!   2359 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

blitz6speed

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

There is a couple WD drives that make video stutter when using ps3, google: stuttering video ps3 western digital, you'll find it.

#435 evisto   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   108 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:37 AM

There is a couple WD drives that make video stutter when using ps3, google: stuttering video ps3 western digital, you'll find it.

Ok, so now I am thinking of getting this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145449

Not Western Digital (to avoid video stuttering)
5400 RPM speed to match the PS3
9.5 mm in height so it will fit in the case

What do you folks think?

#436 ncfootball   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

ncfootball

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:38 AM

Ok, that's what I figured. So then this one (which is 9.5 mm in height instead of 12.5 mm) should fit the bill?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136546

I assume it's also better to go with the 5400 RPM instead of the 7200 ones?

I got this one a few weeks ago and it works great.

#437 4tygames   Cover Guru CAGiversary!   1246 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the tip. My model is WD5000BPVT, but it's part of the same family, so I guess the same kind of problem applies. I'll do some research focused on the head parking or power saving settings of the drive and see what I can find.

Thanks!

I, too, have a WD 500GB Scorpio Blue that I installed a month ago, but I am not having any video studdering problems. Seems to work like a charm. My model is the WDBABC5000.

#438 erequena   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

To those that have PSN+, after upgrading the HD you need to disable automatic downloading and then set it back for it to work. It seems the upgrade disables it but leaves it as 'on' on the configuration options

#439 MorPhiend   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3790 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:28 AM

I installed a WD SB 640GB last Friday or Saturday. Not a problem so far.

#440 FellOpenIan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1246 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

FellOpenIan

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

A good method for deciding on which model/brand to use is to see which drive your PS3 shipped with and use that as a baseline.

The idea being that if Sony uses it in an official capacity then it is likely that a more current brother/sister model would likely serve you well.

#441 eau   KP-X 00-00-00-00-1 CAGiversary!   7301 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

Shoot! WD50000BPVT is an Advanced Format drive which utilities a 4KB sector size. PS3 uses the legacy 512B sector size. The mismatch could reportedly cause some stuttering in streaming and such. Again, google for more info.

#442 MorPhiend   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3790 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:32 AM

Shoot! WD50000BPVT is an Advanced Format drive which utilities a 4KB sector size. PS3 uses the legacy 512B sector size. The mismatch could reportedly cause some stuttering in streaming and such. Again, google for more info.

I think any of the BPVT models use 4KB. You need to get the BEVT models for the PS3. I'm sportin' the WD6400BEVT. It was on sale on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

#443 texasnightowl  

texasnightowl

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

Finallly replaced the hdd in my PS3 last night. I replaced the original 80gb Seagate drive with a 320gb WD Scorpio Blue. Had both a 500gb WD and the 320gb available to use, but went with the 320 and will be using the 500gb as a secondary backup for some important stuff in addition to my WHS.

Anyway, the roughtest part of the whole procedure was:
1 - finding the fat32format program to format the 500gb drive to fat32 for the backup/restore (and the 500 will now get re-formatted to NTFS since I'm done)
2 - not stripping those effin screws!

I see over the last few pages some issues with the 500gb drives and stuttering...any such issues with the 320's? Or did I luck out there and make the right choice putting the 320gb drive in there?

#444 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8681 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

I got a question, to see if something like this is possible.

I am shortly going to run out of space on my 160 gb (like 50 gigs left), and I am considering a HD upgrade.

Anyway I can save all my game saves in the cloud, but something I am worried about is losing all my PS+ content (since they are still on my drive).

Would there be any way to just back up the PS+ stuff? I don't mind redownloading all my PSN games and stuff.

Reason I ask is I have an external HD that's formatted to NTFS and I just don't want to have to create a new fat 32 partition on it. (Especially when all my PS+ content can fit on an 8 GB thumb drive)/

#445 j-cart   PAPER TRAILS on a mountain CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

(Especially when all my PS+ content can fit on an 8 GB thumb drive)/

Then back up all your PS+ content to your 8gb thumb drive.

#446 erequena   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

I got a question, to see if something like this is possible.

I am shortly going to run out of space on my 160 gb (like 50 gigs left), and I am considering a HD upgrade.

Anyway I can save all my game saves in the cloud, but something I am worried about is losing all my PS+ content (since they are still on my drive).

Would there be any way to just back up the PS+ stuff? I don't mind redownloading all my PSN games and stuff.

Reason I ask is I have an external HD that's formatted to NTFS and I just don't want to have to create a new fat 32 partition on it. (Especially when all my PS+ content can fit on an 8 GB thumb drive)/

It's to possible to backup only part of the Hd, it's either all or nothing (with the exception of music or video, that can be moved at will). I don't understand your concern with the PS+ stuff. Once you download it it just like any other PSN content, it will be on your download list and you can download it as many times as you want (as long s you subscription is active). So if you don't have a problem with downloading the PSN stuff, neither should you have a problem with the PS+ stuff

By the way, trophy information isn't backed up, so synchronize your trophies before changing the HD

#447 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8681 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

It's to possible to backup only part of the Hd, it's either all or nothing (with the exception of music or video, that can be moved at will). I don't understand your concern with the PS+ stuff. Once you download it it just like any other PSN content, it will be on your download list and you can download it as many times as you want (as long s you subscription is active). So if you don't have a problem with downloading the PSN stuff, neither should you have a problem with the PS+ stuff

By the way, trophy information isn't backed up, so synchronize your trophies before changing the HD

Oh I didn't know that I could redownload the PS+ stuff at anytime. Well then, since that's the case I might consider getting a new HD then in a month or two. Since I can cloud backup all my saves or just usb thumb drive them.

#448 b1rdman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0364730

Picked this 100gb drive up today. $24.99 + $2.49 for 2 year replacement plan. It's a hitachi 5400 drive, recertified/refurbished.

Backed my data up, put this new drive in, and now I went from 40gb to 83gb of space. :D

I'm glad sony made it so easy for us to upgrade the hdd. Now I'll have room for infamous and other free stuff from welcome back.

Plus, my ps3 hdd is now an external harddrive for backing up my pc.

#449 Chickenmumbo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Chickenmumbo

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

I think any of the BPVT models use 4KB. You need to get the BEVT models for the PS3. I'm sportin' the WD6400BEVT. It was on sale on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Im installing that drive right now. Wanted to thank you for making the choice easy.

#450 Chickenmumbo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Chickenmumbo

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Well that sucked. Sony snuck a firmware update in between the time I backed up my HDD and installed the new one. Weird things happened . I managed to get thru it with the help of this thread. Thanks to all.