Christmas spirit waning as you get older?

Fatesealer

CAGiversary!
Do you still get excited for Christmas, including a Marioesque 'YIPPEE!!!'... or do you dread it and say 'meh, just another day...'?

i still get really excited about it..i dno, its just me i guess, i get happy during the holiday season, ,my family is the same, so i guess it helps out too ya kno :)

I'm 25 and just as excited for XMas than ever. Not because I expect anything really for myself as I have no real wants or needs so am not asking for anything. But I absolutely cannot wait to give my gifts to my wife and 6 year old son. I also enjoy the time to spend with my family. It's just a special day set aside where we truly appreciate one another even more than we might on a normal day. That's what XMas has become for me at this stage in my life.

I usually try to keep from pulling a Moe Szyslak.

Speaking of that, we need a smiley which pulls a gun and then proceeds to blow his brains out. All we have close to that is this... :fridge:

Not necessarily a "Ugh Christmas are ovrrat3d" attitude, but I do enjoy the holidays other than the presents. A warm, cheerful atmosphere is what we need.

Oh yeah... I love some Little Debbie Christmas Tree cakes... and I know somehow, I'm going to get a candy cane to eat... I'm a sucka for holiday only treats... well.......... except for Pepsi Holiday Spice, which I liken to drinking muddy water... if there's any PEPSI in it, I sure couldn't taste it...

[quote name='TheRaven']I'm 25 and just as excited for XMas than ever. Not because I expect anything really for myself as I have no real wants or needs so am not asking for anything. But I absolutely cannot wait to give my gifts to my wife and 6 year old son. I also enjoy the time to spend with my family. It's just a special day set aside where we truly appreciate one another even more than we might on a normal day. That's what XMas has become for me at this stage in my life.[/quote]

Same here, except for the wife and kid. I enjoy giving my parents things that they would never buy for themselves. Its my way of saying thanks for all of the sacrifices they made for me all of these years.

lol as you get older...havent any of you seen elf! I would never see it as another day though. It depends on whether you see it as a religious time, spending time with those you love or if you see it as spending money and presents. In that case those people hate it when they are older because you get presents when your young but have to shell out the cash for it when your older and you dont get much in return.

I'd be excited...if I didn't have to go to a midnight mass at our church. I'll be there until 2, and then help put presents out. Yippie :?

I still love Christmas, and not just for the presents. Its just the atmosphere and spirit that seems to only appear near the holidays. The presents don't hurt, either, but I enjoy giving them as much as I do receiving them.

Now that I think about it...staying up late isn't that bad.....especially when you have that special morning to look forward to.

[quote name='rabbitt']I still get pretty excited. I love the snow, the food, the presents.[/quote]

You're luckly. We don't get snow for crap down here.

A few years back my family stopped giving each other gifts. It makes the holidays much more enjoyable not to have all that stress. However, if there were little kids I could still see the fun in giving them presents.

I want to enjoy it, but most of my family just gets depressed about finances around the holidays, and it just seems to bring everything down. I'm going to make an effort to enjoy it this year, though. Wish me luck...

I enjoy the holidays. We usually have a Christmas party a couple days before Christmas (the 23rd) (my friends and I) that involves caroling (and freezing our ASSES off) as well as some really kick ass food and movies late into the night. Then, on Christmas Eve (day) I'm going to the Packers vs. Vikings game, and then Christmas Eve/Christmas are always fun to just sit around and watch "A Christmas Story" 12 times in a row.

Just my own personal observation:

For most people, it seems, there's usually somewhat of a dip in their enjoyment of Christmas that usually happens in the late teens/early 20's. At that point, they're usually too old to get all hyped up about getting gifts, but too young to fully understand the fun of giving, and the sheer joy of being with the people you love. If this describes you, don't worry: in a few years, you'll understand all the sappy crap the holiday shows are filled with.

Another group that tends to not enjoy the holidays is a lot of women (usually ones married with children) who become too stressed out about the 'implementation' of Christmas. To them I would have to say: relax, calm down. When they grow up, your children are NOT going to remember that you made 17 different types of cookies, all perfectly shaped and decorated. They WILL remember how much fun you all had when you made the giant mess while you were all baking sugar cookies together, and Santa came out looking like he was bleeding to death.

Being married with children the holidays are great. Take a little time off of work to enjoy it with them. Also, nothing better than seeing the kids open up presents on Christmas.

I used to get really depressed and pissy at X-Mas. It just annoyed me. Then I had a couple of X-mases (what's the plural of X-Mas?) that didn't totally suck, so now I just kinda let it ride and look forward to seeing my friends.

Basically things don't suck as much as I expect so I'm pleasantly surprised. It's the cynics way.

Christmas is cool.
Everything is white, close to a fresh start in a New Year, and everybody is generally smiling (especially in the cement jungle of Manhattan =/)
Different kind of atmosphere...of course, a few weeks into January, everyone is pissed off again and cursing at each other.
Theeenn...we wait for the next Christmas :p

[quote name='Drocket']For most people, it seems, there's usually somewhat of a dip in their enjoyment of Christmas that usually happens in the late teens/early 20's. At that point, they're usually too old to get all hyped up about getting gifts, but too young to fully understand the fun of giving, and the sheer joy of being with the people you love. If this describes you, don't worry: in a few years, you'll understand all the sappy crap the holiday shows are filled with.[/quote]

I sure hope so...because that describes me perfectly right now. Almost. I really do understand the "fun of giving" aspect - more from my experiences with my friends than anything else - but I'm just not exicted and haven't been for a few years now.

At least I know for a fact that I'll have a shiny new console to play with after the 25th...

I'm definately pretty jaded about Christmas. I think the feeling started once I stopped being a kid and stopped getting presents from everyone. When I was a kid all my relatives would buy me presents, and I had to give pretty much nothing, usually just some arts and crafts stuff I made in school. My biggest hassle was just hoping my family didn't screw up my christmas list, I never had to worry about lines or spending money on gifts. Now however that's changed, I only get presents from my grandparents and parents and a few friends. Instead of paying them back with free homemade arts projects I now have to spend actual cash on them. It adds up really fast and just makes Christmas suck. I'd rather just save all that money and buy the presents for myself. Luckily my parents do get me a lot and I always end up getting more in gifts then I spend. I guess I started losing my Christmas spirit when Christmas went from being all about to me to being all about everyone else.

I like giving gifts and getting games I can't afford... I do enjoy the time leading up to Christmas a lot more than the actual holiday itself.

I think it's actually kind of funny that people are discussing a religious holiday, and yet religion hasn't even been mentioned in the thread yet.

Beyond that, there are a few people in the thread making great points about the joy of giving, and a couple people sounding like spoiled children.

Yeah, I'm not near as excited as I was, say, 10 years ago about getting stuff but I'm more excited about the season in general, than ever. If it's only about presents to you, that's gonna happen, and you deserve it for being so greedy and materialistic.

[quote name='JSweeney']I think it's actually kind of funny that people are discussing a religious holiday, and yet religion hasn't even been mentioned in the thread yet.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing that bugs me is when people say Xmas, CHRISTmas. There is a reason its call CHRISTmas.

Yes, because now that I'm older I buy myself everything I want. Also I don't trust my gift picking abilities. All in all I don't enjoy the process much anymore.

That doesn't change the fact that the festival and it's symbology is all religious in nature...
and it's not even just the Christian religions.

In fact, a great deal of the symbology related to christmas was co-opted from pagan religions and later asymilated into the Christan festival of Christmas. Save for the practicioners of the Christan religions and those who see Christmas as a time for displays of friendship and fellowship, Christmas is becoming a commerical holiday... in which sense, of course it's going to feel hollow and empty... without a religous or ethical basis (friendship, fellowship, etc) for the celebration, it becomes nothing else but another out for material excess.
Heck, even the modern interpretation of Santa Claus is nothing but a modified version of a corporate icon designed by the Coca-Cola corporation.

[quote name='el bobo']I'm 14 and get excited for it, and I don't think I will ever not get excited for Christmas.[/quote]
well i turn 16 in december and i got excited about it up untill last year, idk if its cause of the lack of money coming into the house, a new found state of constant depresion, or just that i am getting older. I still do like giving gifts even though i think i went to far last year.

Being a Christian I sort of get bummed out at Christmas. It's sort of lost its true meaning. Who thinks of Christ at Christmas anymore. You know it's: Circuit City, Saks, tree, ornaments, wrapping paper, obligatory Christmas cards, gift for the letter carrier, etc. etc. Spend spend spend!
It's good for the economy!

I think I'm going to find a new holiday and George Costanza's father had the right idea -
Happy Festivus Everybody!

Over the last 4-5 years, I've enjoyed buying gifts for my family more than even receiving gifts. This year I had some fun, because we're spending Christmas with some of my cousins who I did the shopping for.

i do like the idea of xmas...but as ive grown older ive also grown cynical, and i hate the way xmas makes people act.

i do however love seeing people open gifts i get them...i kinda pride myself on getting people gifts that really tune in to who they are....also i love watching my baby cousin tear through about a million toys wrappings =o)

I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. I absolutely love the holiday season, but the "holiday season" isn't exclusive to Christians. Every time christmas comes around, somebody will mention that "all of the religious meaning has been lost", and commercially it certainly has been. But where is the harm in that?

At this point, "Christmas" outright outranks Hannukah and Kwanza in the media. Until this changes, i think it's beneficial to take the "christ" out of christmas, and open it up to everybody else. You make it less offensive to non-christians by having "X-mas" commercials, sales, and advertising. It almost seems smug for christians to complain about the removal of religion from the holiday, especially since it's THEIR holiday that gets all of the attention. I don't mind keeping the religious aspect of the holiday private, reserved for those who choose to celebrate it for that reason.

I'm Roman Catholic by birth, but I don't celebrate christmas for Jesus. I use this time to be close with my family, and to show them thanks. Just a general time for celebration, and for being happy.

Has anybody seen the new Virgin commercial which makes the new holiday "ChristmaHanuKwanzica"? I like the idea.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. I absolutely love the holiday season, but the "holiday season" isn't exclusive to Christians. Every time christmas comes around, somebody will mention that "all of the religious meaning has been lost", and commercially it certainly has been. But where is the harm in that?

At this point, "Christmas" outright outranks Hannukah and Kwanza in the media. Until this changes, i think it's beneficial to take the "christ" out of christmas, and open it up to everybody else. You make it less offensive to non-christians by having "X-mas" commercials, sales, and advertising. It almost seems smug for christians to complain about the removal of religion from the holiday, especially since it's THEIR holiday that gets all of the attention. I don't mind keeping the religious aspect of the holiday private, reserved for those who choose to celebrate it for that reason.

I'm Roman Catholic by birth, but I don't celebrate christmas for Jesus. I use this time to be close with my family, and to show them thanks. Just a general time for celebration, and for being happy.

Has anybody seen the new Virgin commercial which makes the new holiday "ChristmaHanuKwanzica"? I like the idea.[/quote]

There seems to be something subtly evil about what you're saying.
It seems like you're rejecting your faith, throwing out any real faith or responsibility it asks of you, and using it only when it's beneficial to you.

Just because you're celebrating the secular aspect of the holiday season is no reason to overlook the spirtual aspect of it, regardless of your faith.
I have no issue with someone being an atheist or agnostic... they're free to believe what they wish. But to claim membership to a religion and then toss out the tenents of your religion "just because" seems disingenous at best. Of course, the level of this would all depend on what level of membership in the church you are... if you were baptised and recieved First Communion, I could understand somewhat if you grew away from the church... your membership was chosen by your parents, and if you don't accept the beliefs, you are not forced to stay...
If you're confirmed, it's worse, because you actually decided to be a member of the church community.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. I absolutely love the holiday season, but the "holiday season" isn't exclusive to Christians. [/quote]

You sir are a moron.

[quote name='evilmax17']I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. I absolutely love the holiday season, but the "holiday season" isn't exclusive to Christians. Every time christmas comes around, somebody will mention that "all of the religious meaning has been lost", and commercially it certainly has been. But where is the harm in that?

Has anybody seen the new Virgin commercial which makes the new holiday "ChristmaHanuKwanzica"? I like the idea.[/quote]

i agree with you fully, and thats why i call it xmas

i mean if its going to be a national holiday, it should be fair to all religions,

but yeah, i still dont like xmas Xop

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I usually try to keep from pulling a Moe Szyslak.

[/quote]

when i was a kid we called it being a scrooge....

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='evilmax17']I'm all for taking the "Christ" out of Christmas. I absolutely love the holiday season, but the "holiday season" isn't exclusive to Christians. Every time christmas comes around, somebody will mention that "all of the religious meaning has been lost", and commercially it certainly has been. But where is the harm in that?

i agree with you fully, and thats why i call it xmas

i mean if its going to be a national holiday, it should be fair to all religions,

but yeah, i still dont like xmas Xop[/quote]

you sir are a moron..

[quote name='TheRaven']I'm 25 and just as excited for XMas than ever. Not because I expect anything really for myself as I have no real wants or needs so am not asking for anything. But I absolutely cannot wait to give my gifts to my wife and 6 year old son. I also enjoy the time to spend with my family. It's just a special day set aside where we truly appreciate one another even more than we might on a normal day. That's what XMas has become for me at this stage in my life.[/quote]

I agree. The giving is so much more rewarding. Sure it's nice to get stuff, but it isn't as if I wouldn't have gotten most of the things I get myself. But to actually make someone else happy, that is great.

bread's done
Back