Did I make a good deal? Involves lots of complete SNES games

freakyzeeky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
sneslot1.jpg

sneslot2.jpg

So I saw a listing on craigslist today, and this guy was selling this entire lot of complete SNES games for $225. When I went to go pick it up tonight, he also threw in a Super NES & Sega Genesis systems for free with my haul (they're not pictured, but are functional :) )

What do you guys think? Most of the SNES games look like they were either played once or not even touched...

ive never played snes.. but if those were rare games.. it was worth it

otherwise.. 225 for a bunch of old games :(

Are any of those games in the top picture rare? I know Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG fetch quite a bit, and the others in that picture can at least garner some interest. But the stuff on top seems like mostly common games.

chronotrigger alone if it has all the maps and stuff is a good $150-$200 just from a quick check of ebay. Nice haul!

oh WTF and where was this? The one week I'm studying and not paying attention to all the craigslist posts and this one slips past me?! LIES!

Great haul, OP. But all of the 'zomg I could get xyz amount for this or that on Ebay' posts just show how this site has gone downhill and has become more and more like Slick Deals/ Fat Wallet with the profiteering.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Great haul, OP. But all of the 'zomg I could get xyz amount for this or that on Ebay' posts just show how this site has gone downhill and has become more and more like Slick Deals/ Fat Wallet with the profiteering.[/quote]

I don't really see anyone talking about profiteering. They are using eBay values as an indicator of how good a deal he got. I'm not familiar with these values, but obviously, if a complete CT gets $200, he made out like a bandit.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Great haul, OP. But all of the 'zomg I could get xyz amount for this or that on Ebay' posts just show how this site has gone downhill and has become more and more like Slick Deals/ Fat Wallet with the profiteering.[/quote]

I usually buy some things with the intent to resell, but usually only to cover my expenses and get them for free - because I like video games. I find it odd that there is such an overwhelming people here buying games up with the purpose of just making a quick dollar. And the sad thing is, usually there is very little to be made in terms of cash, but people do it anyway.

That was a little off topic, but sweet haul OP. Id have jumped on that without looking it up - I figured Chrono Trigger and Mario RPG would have at least been worth the expense. Come to find out, either one alone may have.

Well then, why are they even using Ebay prices at all? That just denotes where those users would plunk the games after buying them off of the seller. I just think it's sick and wrong, though that price did seem a bit excessive if you don't take into account the value of the games in the lot. So, the OP got a deal, but the seller also offloaded the 2 systems and games for ALOT more than most of them are worth. Good deal for both, but there may have also been someone out there who would've wanted to buy the games/systems to just PLAY who will now have to go to Ebay I'm sure if they wanna buy some things from this lot.

I usually buy some things with the intent to resell, but usually only to cover my expenses and get them for free - because I like video games. I find it odd that there is such an overwhelming people here buying games up with the purpose of just making a quick dollar. And the sad thing is, usually there is very little to be made in terms of cash, but people do it anyway.
Indeed. There really isn't much money in flipping, unless you're doing on a massive scale. And in that case, you obviously have too much time on your hands and should get a job, instead. Like you, I pick things up when I go out shopping, in order to offset my own spending. I see something on clearance that I think will make some money, I'll get it. But I don't drive myself crazy searching CL or going to pawn shops to find cheap things to sell. It just isn't worth it.

Well then, why are they even using Ebay prices at all? That just denotes where those users would plunk the games after buying them off of the seller. I just think it's sick and wrong, though that price did seem a bit excessive if you don't take into account the value of the games in the lot.

Why are they using eBay prices? Because it's a good indicator how much a rare game is worth, maybe? And sick and wrong? My friend, don't you think that's a little dramatic? There are may things in this world that are sick and wrong, but selling stuff on eBay for profit isn't one of them.

All I was trying to get at was that he did make a good deal, as that is the question he wanted to know (Did I make a good deal?). I was using ebay as an example (on average) the selling price of those games to see if he made a good deal or not.

I cannot say for certain his intentions for why he bought the lot but I'm sure that he didn't buy the whole lot to keep the whole lot. He had to buy the lot (as from what I saw on the ad). Usually people buy a set/lot of items because either it has a great deal of items they want or maybe just a few and buy it because it was a good deal overall. They pick out what they wanted in the first place and then resell the rest to make up for what they spent.

Example: If there was a lot that included 50 no name games yet also included a sealed Final Fantasy III for the SNES all for $50, I would buy it, no question (say the person didn't want to break up the lot and sold it "as-is"). I would buy it simply for FFIII and resell the rest to make up for what I lost ($50). In the end, I would get FFIII for free rather than spending $100+ for just FFIII alone.

It's only sick and wrong because the other posters quoting the Ebay prices see $$$$$ signs(maybe not all) before they see games that a gamer may want to PLAY and not money in the bank. Both sides made out in this transaction, so I guess it is a moot point.

I see this all the time anymore on here, with people saying how they 'got a steal of a deal' from people on CL. People in general, are stupid, but people on CL either price their stuff too high or too low for what they're selling. The low sellers get fucked by the Ebay assholes who come out of the woodwork and try to lowball them down to nothing and the high sellers get laughed at until they either drop their prices or remove their listing(s).

I HAVE told people selling massive amounts of items in ONE lot for a lower price that X or Y item is 'rare' or sought after and their price is too low. Why, you might ask? To fuck over the idiots only looking to 'flip' a lot they buy from someone on CL, of course.

Am I wrong for doing so? I don't think so, especially since I'm helping one group to get fucked, while helping normal people from NOT getting fucked.

killer deal most jealous since these are complete, boxes look great too, rare to see people not have them all damaged with that many, wish my super metorid box looked that good.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well then, why are they even using Ebay prices at all? That just denotes where those users would plunk the games after buying them off of the seller. I just think it's sick and wrong, though that price did seem a bit excessive if you don't take into account the value of the games in the lot. So, the OP got a deal, but the seller also offloaded the 2 systems and games for ALOT more than most of them are worth. Good deal for both, but there may have also been someone out there who would've wanted to buy the games/systems to just PLAY who will now have to go to Ebay I'm sure if they wanna buy some things from this lot.[/quote]

Nobody buying those games to play is looking for the box, so your logic fails. Cart only neither game is that expensive.

Where did I say anything about the boxes? And, I don't know about you, but I almost always will try to find a COMPLETE copy of a game before I buy it. There are some occasions when I may not, but I will most times want a game complete before I buy it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Where did I say anything about the boxes? And, I don't know about you, but I almost always will try to find a COMPLETE copy of a game before I buy it. There are some occasions when I may not, but I will most times want a game complete before I buy it.[/quote]

Because you said it was a shame or whatever that someone who wanted the games to play would have to go on Ebay. People buying games JUST to play, don't care if there's a box/manual or whatever. Collectors and people who care about resale value and that sort of thing, care about that. This is ESPECIALLY true for pre-PSX games, where boxes were just paper and there was little reason to keep them around.

color me jealous. I'd love to have a few boxed SNES games around for decoration.

[quote name='contej85']Because you said it was a shame or whatever that someone who wanted the games to play would have to go on Ebay. People buying games JUST to play, don't care if there's a box/manual or whatever. Collectors and people who care about resale value and that sort of thing, care about that. This is ESPECIALLY true for pre-PSX games, where boxes were just paper and there was little reason to keep them around.[/quote]

Actually, aside from my Atari 2600 and it's multitude of games, I ALWAYS cared to keep my games complete and in mint shape. I wasn't one of those kids who tossed their games around like frisbees in the PS1 era or someone who left cart only games lying around the house. I always kept my games in their cases when not being played and I kept those cases in my closet or by my entertainment center stacked neatly.

When I find copies of the games to play now, I STILL look for the complete/mint or near mint copies, but if those are NOT available then I will begrudgingly take an incomplete copy.

I'm a 'sort of' collector, but without the checking Ebay to see if I'm getting a 'zomg rare' game. I collect games but I also do play them, if that makes any sense. Personally, I'd rather be able to find older games on CL without having to hit Ebay to snap up the games that some flipper took from someone from CL. That's why I said it's a damn shame, since someone like me might've wanted to play those games and would not have been thinking 'I wonder if I could make some $$$ on this game or that to make the rest of them 'free' '.

bread's done
Back