Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

NamPaehc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
944753_99404_front.jpg

Found HERE.

When Konami confirmed the release of Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection for the US just a few weeks back, anyone like myself jumped for joy at the prospect of replaying one of the most legendary game series of all time. However, one aspect of the collection seemingly overlooked was the form in which the original Metal Gear Solid would be appearing. When it was originally released for the Playstation in 1998, MGS appeared on 2 CDs, requiring a disc swap once you progressed far enough into the game. Would Konami pack the game onto a single DVD in order to cut down on packaging and the inconvenience of disc swapping? This of course would require the game to actually be ported to the Playstation 2, though it would likely be a transparent port, unlike the full-blown remake that was released as Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube in 2004.

Disc swapping aside, that didn't seem like enough of an issue to warrant the effort for Konami to move the PS1 classic to the Playstation 2, but then another problem came up: game saving. When playing original Playstation games on a PS2, you're required to have a PS1 memory card to load and save games. Save files can be put onto PS2 memory cards for archival purposes, but they can't actually be used. The main issue is that Playstation 1 memory cards haven't been sold for years, thus anyone who had packed their PS1 away, sold it, or never had one in the first place would have an incredibly hard time (read: impossible) saving. It's obviously a non-issue for anyone that will be playing The Essential Collection on a Playstation 3 which can save to the internal hard drive, but plenty of gamers still haven't hopped on that bandwagon yet.

Well I decided to set the record straight and get the word direct from Konami's PR stud Andrew Kelly, who today confirmed for Game Almighty that Metal Gear Solid 1 will in fact be released on a Playstation 2 disc. No disc swapping. No more gray memory card. Other than those two improvements the port should be entirely transparent to the player, retaining the PS1's visuals and gameplay mechanics. Anyone that was on the fence about buying the Metal Gear Solid games again should seriously consider picking up The Essential Collection when it ships on March 18 for $29.99, as the convenience alone more than makes it worth it.

It's also worth noting that the versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are the "Director's Cut" versions, being Substance and Subsistence respectively. If you never picked up either of these after the originals, they're well worth playing as Substance adds some entertaining VR missions, while Subsistence brings a much improved camera system that makes MGS3 worth replaying all over again. Of course you'll also want The Essential Collection in order to get up to speed for the release of Metal Gear Solid 4, which was just confirmed yesterday for a June 12 release along with a new 80GB Playstation 3 bundle. Did I mention that it's also a fantastic price for a rerelease of three stellar games? I'm looking at you Square-Enix.
Surprised they aren't offering any improved graphics.

Yeah, would it have been difficult to port over The Twin Snakes? Sounds like a good deal but I have the Twin Snakes, Substance for XBox and Subsitence so I'm content with that.

Weird, I thought Ryan Payton recently said that the collection contained the original PS1 discs. In one of the podcasts he even mentioned that making both the Japanese and American versions of the collection was difficult because of the limited facilities for printing PS1 discs.

Also, this is a ridiculously good deal just for MGS2 Substance.

Damn they should have thrown in the VR mission disk as well to make it the complete package xd. Oh well I guess I'll be able to track that down easy enough.

Still considering Subsistenence has Metal gear and Metal gear 2 on it that's 5 games for $30 or about $6 a game. You can't beat Value like that! Talk about a great way to get caught up with the series.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah, would it have been difficult to port over The Twin Snakes? Sounds like a good deal but I have the Twin Snakes, Substance for XBox and Subsitence so I'm content with that.[/quote]

Not everyone preferred the Twin Snakes over the original MGS. I believe they redid all the voiceovers and cutscenes for Twin Snakes and many liked the original stuff better.

While most people won't care this does have a disadvantage. Since it is now a PS2 game you can't play this version of MGS on a PSP with custom firmware, which is how I play my PS1 version of MGS.

You also couldn't play this version on a 40gb PS3, but I'll never get one of those anyway.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah, would it have been difficult to port over The Twin Snakes? [/quote]

It's because it is a Gamecube exclusive. Nintendo paid the money to make sure it was a exclusive.

Probably won't be picking this up since I've got Twin Snakes on GC, MGS2 Substance on Xbox & Snake Eater on PS2 and are happy with those versions.

One thing that seems to be confusing in the article, does MGS require a PS1 memory card or not?

[quote name='metaly']The collection only has disc 1 of Subsistence, so no MG1 or MG2.[/quote]

Lies! The product summerry includes MG1 and MG2!!! Why would they bother taking them out now?

[quote name='Gold_guardian']Lies! The product summerry includes MG1 and MG2!!! Why would they bother taking them out now?[/quote]

Weird, I could have sworn that they said on the KP Report that they were leaving disc 2 out, partially because it contained the defunct MPO. But, apparently Konami specially produced a disc with just MG1 and 2 for the 20th anniversary box, so maybe that's what they're including.

There seems to be a lot of general confusion over details regarding this set. For instance, in the OP's link:

There seems to be some discrepancies as other sources at Konami had previously stated that The Essential Collection would contain 4 discs, which would imply 2 discs for MGS. I asked for a clarification if MGS will in fact be two PS2 CDs and still require a disc swap or if it will be condensed into a single DVD as we previously reported, but Konami PR was unable to give us a concrete answer and is currently researching the question. Sorry for any confusion. We'll pass along the word as soon as we know.

Hopefully Konami will straighten things out soon.

twin snakes remains one of my fav games (never got into 2 or 3).. i hadnt even played the original when i beat twin snakes.. must own for cube owners.

Personally i couldnt replay though the ps1 pixelized masterpiece after playing it on cube

I just love beginning of MGS up until the elevator ride. I used to put it in and play up to that part. I can't find my copy, think it is stashed somewhere around here... But I might have to get this if I can't find it.

[quote name='guyver2077']twin snakes remains one of my fav games (never got into 2 or 3).. i hadnt even played the original when i beat twin snakes..[/quote]

These sentences have everything to do with each other, just not in the way you intended.

[quote name='Gold_guardian']Lies! The product summerry includes MG1 and MG2!!! Why would they bother taking them out now?[/QUOTE]

Which product summary? Because if you're talking about the gamestop one, I assume the just cut & pasted the descriptions of the 3 games.

The KP podcast seems like a much more definitive source.

Source

We contacted Konami to find out what would be included within the collection and received the following information. The Essential Collection will come with the original Metal Gear Solid, as well as Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. That means that all of the 200 VR missions, Snake Tales and game modes have been included. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence has been included as well; however, there will not be online play or any of the other extras that were found on the secondary disc from that redesigned title. That means that while the new 3rd person camera angle will be included, package items like the Duel Mode, Demo Theater Snake vs. Monkey Missions and other elements won't be found.

Same shit different disc, huh?

And the confusion over MGS3 is garbage - I know MGO servers are gone, but the disc still had hours of playtime via MG1 and MG2. Why would they omit it?

I’m not a MGS fan, but am buying this collection anyway. I tried 1 & 2, but only for about 10 minutes each. I thought they were just not for me. I’m really going to give them a real try now that I’ll own them.

Everyone hypes up MGS4 so much. I’m going to give MGS one more chance.

[quote name='ma']Which product summary? Because if you're talking about the gamestop one, I assume the just cut & pasted the descriptions of the 3 games.[/quote]
You assumed wrong, below is their description from MGS3: Subsistence:
* Includes the Original MSX games Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake.

Now, the description from MGS: Essential Collection:
MSX 2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - The original games that were the genesis of the Metal Gear series are brought to the PlayStation 2. These games continue the storyline which started in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This is also the first time that these games have been released in North America.

Someone had to intentionally write that description so there's no way it's copy/paste. To me this gives quite a bit of credibility to the claim.

I know that the only real difference between the original MGS and the MGS here is that you don't have to change discs, and I already have Substance and Subsistence LE... but shit, I want the best version of the game, so I gots to buy this.

And FWIW, Twin Snakes sucked. MGS2 gameplay mechanics broke the game.

[quote name='Hoffer']I tried 1 & 2, but only for about 10 minutes each. I thought they were just not for me. ... Everyone hypes up MGS4 so much. I’m going to give MGS one more chance.[/quote]

Please do. It took me almost an hour to really understand how the game worked when I played the first MGS demo. Even after playing the game to death, it still took me a long time to get used to the new mechanics in both MGS2 and 3. They're definitely worth the learning curve, though.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Someone had to intentionally write that description so there's no way it's copy/paste. To me this gives quite a bit of credibility to the claim.[/quote]

This is assuming that whoever's updating the Gamestop site put any care into what they're doing. These are the same people who throw up product listings and imaginary release dates for games that are still months or even years out, just so there's some sliver of content there to whet people's preorder appetites.

[quote name='metaly']It took me almost an hour to really understand how the game worked when I played the first MGS demo. Even after playing the game to death, it still took me a long time to get used to the new mechanics in both MGS2 and 3. They're definitely worth the learning curve, though.[/quote]

Agreed. I was on my third playthrough of MGS3 before I got comfortable using CQC.

So I guessing if you play MGS1 on the PS2 and don't have a PSone Memory card you are screwed. Not a problem on the PS3 since you can create virtual memory cards, unless you have the PS3 model which does not have the emotion chip in it... this should be pretty funny when it's released, and 50% of the people can't save their game of MGS1.

[quote name='fifthcore']So I guessing if you play MGS1 on the PS2 and don't have a PSone Memory card you are screwed. Not a problem on the PS3 since you can create virtual memory cards, unless you have the PS3 model which does not have the emotion chip in it... this should be pretty funny when it's released, and 50% of the people can't save their game of MGS1.[/quote]

Doesn't the article in the OP indicate that this game will be a PS2 port, meaning one disc and PS2 memory card? It states exactly that in the article.

I hope someone clears up once and for all if MG and MG2 are included in this or not.

You'd think they'd want them so that people can get totally caught up in time for MGS4

[quote name='Gold_guardian']I hope someone clears up once and for all if MG and MG2 are included in this or not.

You'd think they'd want them so that people can get totally caught up in time for MGS4[/quote]

Amen to that, this is a clusterfuck of a release for Konami, even their fucking PR people don't know what's contained in the package that comes out in 3 weeks.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Amen to that, this is a clusterfuck of a release for Konami, even their fucking PR people don't know what's contained in the package that comes out in 3 weeks.[/quote]

I know. What a mess.

Substance was never *that* expensive. I got my used/fortunately mint copy at EBstop for 24.99 about 4 months ago. That being said, I have no idea what it was/is going for on eBay.

I've never been a big MGS fan, but this collection has me interested. These games never were Greatest Hits, were they? I don't want GH packaging, and from the look of the photos they won't be, but you never know I guess.

Most of these PS2 collections use new packaging that's different from both the original and any GH versions.

This one looks to follow that same trend. For the record, Metal Gear Solid did get a GH release on the Playstation but as far as I know, MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence never did.

The games are supposed to be in all-new cases that were specially designed by Yoji Shinkawa for the collection.

Hmm, I don't know if I want this now.... I have the originals(Sub versions of both MGS 2 and 3). The cases are nice, but not $30 nice.

I shouldn't have sold my PS2... I had MGS1 original for PS1 but It was damaged and not working, MGS2 and MGS3 original copies, I'm thinking of buying a used ps2 just to be able to play these games again. Luckily I kept a ps1 memory card so I don't have to go out and find one
[quote name='jughead']So... do I understand this correctly? With my PS3 (80gb) I won't be able to save MGS1 gamesaves to my hard drive?[/quote]
What they are saying is that PS2 users will not be able to save MGS1 on a PS2 memory card, PS3 uses emulation so you will still be able to save.

I actually have MGS 1 for the PC LOL
But I'll still be picking up the collection since I only have Snake Eater for the PS2

[quote name='XxSmityxX']I actually have MGS 1 for the PC LOL
But I'll still be picking up the collection since I only have Snake Eater for the PS2[/quote]
Yep, I have MGS1 and 2 on the PC, I'm a sucker for MGS games... I don't know why, the story is just so amazing to me, even after 10 times of playing the game I still love playing it...

MGS on PC has the "Integral" stuff and the VR Missions. No version of MGS in the US (PSX/GC) have the Integral additions (which consists of little more than, I think, a dismal first person mode).

bread's done
Back