RIP Boyd Coddington

Will

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-02/28/content_7687461.htm

U.S. TV reality show host and car-building legend Boyd Coddington, died at age 63, according to media reports Thursday.

The news was released by his La Habra-based company, which said that Coddington died at Whittier's Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in the morning on Wednesday.

Born in Rupert, Idaho, in 1944, Coddington was a farm boy who devoured auto magazines and dreamed of creating his own custom cars.

Coddington started to build cars in his home garage when he was a 13-year-old. His first big hit was a streamlined makeover of a 1933 Coupe that won the Al Slonaker Award, one of the most prestigious prizes in hot rodding.

With his standard of workmanship and creativity approved, he won the "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" award seven times and twice won the Daimler-Chrysler Design Excellence Award.

Coddington created the TV reality show "American Hot Rod" which aired on the Discovery Channel from 2004 to 2007 and introduced the West Coast hot rod guru to the whole nation.

The New York Times has called Coddington "indisputably the best-known and arguably the most influential professional builder in the field."

Coddington is survived by his wife, Jo; three sons, Boyd Jr., Chris and Greg, and grandchildren.

I know most people probably dont give a fat babies dick but I was a faithful watcher of American Hotrod and totally dug his style and could totally appreciate what he was about.

I was fortunate to meet him a few years back at SEMA. He was a nice guy, asking him if I could take a picture him and ask him a few questions and he was ok with it. Didn't ask for money or down right say no like most celebrities. All he said was make sure I look better than you in the pick. I hate when I'm not the focal point in the picture. Which I'm sure was a joke. Asked him a few questions and he had to run off.

He was a class act.

Just to show what kinda guy he was..I dont remember all names and most specific details but remember when that one young guy, blue bear?SP?, and Boyd were in a contest to see who could build the better car.

The car this kid had was just a straight frame and nothing else, if I remember right.

Boyd said he would foot the COMPLETE bill for the kids car in the contest and when it was all said and done it was ALL HIS. I wanna say it was like some 30ish roadster.

There was a minor disagreement about how the kid wanted to do the frame job and Boyd said it wasnt safe and thats not something he's gonna allow be done and the kid basically said f'you and that was the end of the contest and the kid didnt get his car and Im pretty sure that was the straw that broke the camels back and the kid was fired because he tried doing it anyways.

He was fiercely loyal to those that were loyal to him. He was so pissed at that painter who'd been with him from the start and jumped ship to the competition. Been a while since I've seen the show. The best to his friends and family.

[quote name='JolietJake']Seemed like a dick to some of his employees if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. He was made to look like such an ass to his workers on that show. Getting mad at them for going and getting a better job. Pretty petty guy.

Sad that hes gone though. Not expected at all.

[quote name='musha666']Yeah. He was made to look like such an ass to his workers on that show. Getting mad at them for going and getting a better job. Pretty petty guy.

Sad that hes gone though. Not expected at all.[/quote]Now that you put it that way, maybe "fiercely loyal" wasn't the right term. Wonder if Dwayne and Mike are still there. And Thomas (?) the European dude? He was amusing with his thing for ice cream.

bread's done
Back