The Wii 16:9 List - Work in Progress.. Come HALP!

CouRageouS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)

Wii games come in two flavors - 16:9 (720x480) and 4:3 (640x480) ratios.
various15_071127b.jpg
various15_071127a.jpg

Depending on what type of video connection you are using, your picture will the in 480i (interlaced) or 480p (progressive). For your Wii to be able to display 480p progressive scan there are two requirements. Your television needs to be an EDTV or HDTV, Enhanced or High Definition television and you need to be using component cables.

----------------------------------------------------------

The aspect ratio of all Wii games are determined by their developer. There isn't a basis as to why or why not games are certain ratios. All Wii channels display natively in 16:9 or 4:3. VC games are all 4:3. Wii Ware games have yet to be released however we can't assume that 16:9 will be standard as even recent Wii releases still come out 4:3 only.

Games listed may have notes next to them. If some people say they have black bars on the sides of a 16:9 game, it will be noted. Please be aware that it is only for SOME TVs. Some people experience it and some may not. If you guys want to get technical we could try to list all 480p supported games but for now I think a 16:9 and 4:3 list are good enough. Later I want to add a list of Gamecube games that support 16:9 as well. I was even thinking of adding a little icon next to games with Pro Logic II support for us audiophiles. All contributions are appreciated. Thanks all!

16:9 Widescreen :whee:
Battalion Wars 2
Big Brain Academy (borders for tests)
Carnival Games
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party
Dewy's Adventure
Dragon Quest Swords
EA Playground
Elebits
Endless Ocean
Excite Truck
FIFA Soccer 08
Game Party
Godfather Blackhand Edition
Godzilla Unleashed
Guitar Hero 3
Heatseeker
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Nights Journey of Dreams
Ninja Reflex
No More Heroes
Oneechanbara Revolution (JPN)
Okami
Resident Evil 4 (black bars on some TVs)
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Scarface The World is Yours
Smarty Pants
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Riders Zero Gravity
SSX Blur
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tomb Raider Anniversary (black bars on some TVs)
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
TMNT
Trauma Center New Blood
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Zack and Wiki
Zelda : Twilight Princess

4:3 only :bomb:
Ant Bully
Bleach Shattered Blade
Cooking Mama
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Fishing Master
Ghost Squad
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law
Korinpa
London Taxi Rush Hour
Mario Party 8 (borders fill in for widescreen)
MLB Power Pros
Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution
Puzzle Quest (the most pixelated crap I've ever seen, don't buy!)
Rampage Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Samurai Warriors Katana
Sega Bass Fishing
Simple Series 5 : Block Kasuzhi (JPN)
Simple Series 6 : Wai Wai Combat (JPN)
Super Swing Golf
Trauma Center Second Opinion
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Williams Pinball Hall of Fame

Current Count :joystick:
16:9 Widescreen - 45
4:3 Fullscreen - 26

Super Paper Mario (Black bars)
Okamii

Metroid Prime 3 also has black bars, but they're not as bad as RE4, No More Heroes

Really? I played Paper Mario on a few different TVs (used bring my Wii to places a lot) and it looked fine to me. Didn't notice anything on MP3 either.

Would it say it on the back of the box? I have about 30 Wii Games I'd check out for ya :lol:
This is a great idea. If I was the forum guide I'd have stickied this already! *really should be guide*

I don't think its on the back of the box. PLII support is on the back though. Some games we might have to just pop them in and try. Some games I used to have I just can't remember like Madden and Transformers. I know some of you guys have turd games that no one reviews so time to come out and spill the beans if its 16:9!

Added Super Swing Golf to 4:3 only. Just remembered I used to have that.

So wait. On my HDTV, If I play Galaxy my Wii should be set to Widescreen. (Which it is), but if I play Ghost Squad I should change my settings to 4:3?

Change your TV to 4:3, not your Wii settings. Then you'll get the true aspect ratio of Ghost Squad.

Doesn't Mario Party have a fake 16:9 setting though? Fills it in with a boarder decoration of sorts?

[quote name='lilboo']So wait. On my HDTV, If I play Galaxy my Wii should be set to Widescreen. (Which it is), but if I play Ghost Squad I should change my settings to 4:3?[/QUOTE]

I think you can set the tv to 4:3 and it will look fine.

This whole system is a mess. First of all, every game should be widescreen. But, since they are not, the Wii should detect that, and add black bars on the side accordingly, and not stretch the picture.

Man this is what confuses me. I'm on HDTV, I have it set to "HDTV/480p" and it's on Widescreen. Should I always have my settings on widescreen?

[quote name='lilboo']Man this is what confuses me. I'm on HDTV, I have it set to "HDTV/480p" and it's on Widescreen. Should I always have my settings on widescreen?[/QUOTE]

Personal preference really. If you always have your tv set to widescreen, then games like ghost squad, mario party, VC games, etc. will be stretched. Keep your wii on widescreen and put the tv on 4:3 to see them in their native ratio.

*edit* Mario party puts up a border when things are set to widescreen, so forget I mentioned that in this explanation.

[quote name='seanr1221']Personal preference really. If you always have your tv set to widescreen, then games like ghost squad, mario party, VC games, etc. will be stretched. Keep your wii on widescreen and put the tv on 4:3 to see them in their native ratio.

*edit* Mario party puts up a border when things are set to widescreen, so forget I mentioned that in this explanation.[/QUOTE]

This is the correct solution. Just change things on your TV depending on what you're playing. Why the Wii doesn't just send a fucking widescreen signal is beyond me, but whatever.

Someone refresh my memory and confirm... IIRC Super Monkey Ball did have widescreen and Raving Rabbids did not? I believe GH3 had widescreen as well but I just glimpsed at it at my friends place.

Any chance we could put some kind of a mark on games that support widescreen but have the black bars on the sides? I know Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, and RE4 all have that problem- it's pretty annoying IMO.

So I take it with my cheap 19.5" tv....this doesn't really apply to me until I get a new one. I really should get into this whole 21st century HDTV thing shouldn't I?

This list would be even more useful if you listed what games support 480p. It's not always the same as widescreen. For example, Mario Party 8 runs in 480p, but does not support widescreen.

Stickied.

"I was even thinking of adding a little icon next to games with Pro Logic II support for us audiophiles."
Is it bad that I chuckled when I read that? :D

Has anyone referenced this?

http://hdgames.net/

Somewhere on Wikipedia was a fairly well-maintained list as well, but I can't seem to find it.

Also, no one should be changing their Wii settings back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 - you should do all the aspect changing on your TV. Some games (like Mario Party) are actually 16:9 games in a sense, because you can leave your TV on widescreen mode and play the game in it's natural aspect ratio (nothing is stretched out).

Here are some crappy games I've either tracked down online or had the misfortune of playing myself:
Ant Bully, The - 4:3 only
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - 4:3 only
Kororinpa - 4:3 only
Rampage: Total Destruction - 4:3 only
Rayman: Raving Rabbids - 4:3 only (this one is not so crappy)

Game Party - 16:9 support
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - 16:9 support (also not so crappy)
Smarty Pants - 16:9
SSX Blur - 16:9

[quote name='wubb']Stickied.

"I was even thinking of adding a little icon next to games with Pro Logic II support for us audiophiles."
Is it bad that I chuckled when I read that? :D[/QUOTE]
Thank you sir. Well we could also add an icon next to games that are rated E for the pedophiles :whistle2:k

[quote name='mephitical']Has anyone referenced this?

http://hdgames.net/

Here are some crappy games I've either tracked down online or had the misfortune of playing myself:
Ant Bully, The - 4:3 only
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - 4:3 only
Kororinpa - 4:3 only
Rampage: Total Destruction - 4:3 only
Rayman: Raving Rabbids - 4:3 only (this one is not so crappy)

Game Party - 16:9 support
Mercury Meltdown Revolution - 16:9 support (also not so crappy)
Smarty Pants - 16:9
SSX Blur - 16:9[/QUOTE]
I guess our list can be a quick and dirty list. In a way I also like getting it from people's personal experiences playing the games. Its also a good to have a thread to discuss.

And thanks! Adding those games to the list in a minute.

When I get home I'll check the rest of my games. I'm like liboo in that I've got a huge stack of them; way more than a person needs really. I just can't control the urges I get... For instance, I will get Brawl this week. I've never liked a Brawl game and I will likely only play this one once, but I cannot control myself...

I don't know what you want to classify this under, but Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree has a widescreen mode where it would add bars on the side for widescreen.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I don't know what you want to classify this under, but Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree has a widescreen mode where it would add bars on the side for widescreen.[/quote]
That makes it a pain - I didn't realize there was more than just Mario Party like this. My inclination is to vote to have these in the 16:9 section (maybe with a side note), since the developers at least made a concession to widescreen TV owners and didn't make them have to change the TVs aspect ratio.

I'll add BBA to 4:3 like I did MP8 since the game itself was made in 4:3. Slapping borders on doesn't count as 16:9 in my book ;)

[quote name='lilboo']I'm assuming that the channels (Mii, Check Mii Out, Everybody Votes, etc) are all 16:9?..and 480p? :whistle2:s[/quote]
I'm assuming they default to your Wii settings - I have mine on 16:9 and all the channels display correctly in 16:9.

All channels display natively. Though I vaguely recall the Metroid Preview channel having a couple screens that were 4:3 and were squished.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'll add BBA to 4:3 like I did MP8 since the game itself was made in 4:3. Slapping borders on doesn't count as 16:9 in my book ;)[/QUOTE]
I popped it in and while the menus and hallway are in 16:9, the borders come up during the mini-games. Is MP8 the same way? As in 16:9 menu and 4:3 plus borders for the minigames? Maybe we should vote on where those games belong.

[quote name='mephitical']
Kororinpa - 4:3 only[/QUOTE]
Dunno about the other titles, but Kororinpa is awesome. It's a little short if all you care about is unlocking all the levels, but the game is fun, can be adapted to different players' skills, and is perfect for introducing non-gaming newbies to the Wii (you can teach the entire game in 15 seconds ;)).

--R.J.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I'll add BBA to 4:3 like I did MP8 since the game itself was made in 4:3. Slapping borders on doesn't count as 16:9 in my book ;)[/QUOTE]

This is your list of course, but if the borders show up for 16:9 do the stay (and thus squish the picture) if you resize the screen to 4:3 and leave the Wii in Widescreen mode?

It depends on your TV but it most cases it would just squish the picture into 4:3 size if the Wii itself is in 16:9 mode.

These are the borders from BBA.
117648-1.jpg

During menu navigating and results screens those aren't present. It sorta is 16:9 for the most part. Its less apparent than Mario Party's blatant 4:3. I'm leaning towards sticking BBA in 16:9.

maybe we can all put together a Gamecube 16:9 compatibility list too... not unless i am not finding it... cause there are a lot of GC games i would like to play widescreen on my wii too...

Laura Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary as 16:9 with black bars

Mario Party 8's European release had black borders, not blue borders, so essentially 4:3. Maybe no 16:9 at all. So, I'm advocating putting it in the 4:3 section. Even so, it didn't even reach all the way (black bars on the side).

All confirmed 16:9:

TMNT
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party
FIFA Soccer 08
Battalion Wars 2

I've got an HD CRT set so I can't confirm the tiny black sidebars that appear on some sets, but these are all 16:9 presentations.

Upated OP with the last few posts. Also added..

London Taxi (steaming pile.. see other thread)
Sega Bass Fishing
Fishing Master
Ninja Reflex (actually kinda fun)

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Dragon Quest Swords has black bars for me.
Geometry Wars is 16:9 and 480p with no black bars.
Super Paper Mario gives me black bars.[/quote]
The black bars displaying are different than 16:9 display though. Super Paper Mario is definitely 16:9, but due to whatever you're displaying it on might not fit the exact dimensions.

[quote name='mephitical']You can add House of the Dead 2&3 to the 4:3 section.[/quote]What? I read there was widescreen support?

[quote name='dallow']What? I read there was widescreen support?[/quote]
I'm still waiting for my copy, so maybe I shouldn't have posted yet, but by all accounts the "widescreen support" is just an auto-stretching of the 4:3 image, which would happen anyway for people with 16:9 TVs. I guess I should have my copy in the mail any day now and I'll confirm then.

I just read that Boom Blox will have 480p 16:9 support. I knew nothing about that game and after watching the EA preview video I want it. It looks like Peggle mixed with Wii Sports bowling and a shooter.
http://www.ea.com/boomblox/

[quote name='mephitical']I'm still waiting for my copy, so maybe I shouldn't have posted yet, but by all accounts the "widescreen support" is just an auto-stretching of the 4:3 image, which would happen anyway for people with 16:9 TVs. I guess I should have my copy in the mail any day now and I'll confirm then.

I just read that Boom Blox will have 480p 16:9 support. I knew nothing about that game and after watching the EA preview video I want it. It looks like Peggle mixed with Wii Sports bowling and a shooter.
http://www.ea.com/boomblox/[/quote]I asked at Neogaf and they're not 100% certain.

He says the Wii HUD when you press Home looks stretched.
However these pics don't:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10195392&postcount=115

Oh well, I'll get the game Sunday and know for sure.

Oh shit if they added 16:9 to HoD 2/3 I will be fucking juiced. Those pics look like it could actually be. I was planning on picking it up sometime next week.

Sad that Super Swing Golf Season 2 didn't get 16:9, I enjoyed the first game but hated the 4:3.

HotD 2&3 is stretched widescreen. Just opened and played it last night. Doesn't look terrible, but it is stretched/faked widescreen. In fact if it wasn't for the home screen, you almost would believe it was true widescreen. So, I guess technically it is 16:9, but its just stretching it.

bread's done
Back