Feedback
53 (100%)
PREVIEW THE ALBUM: HERE

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/player

THE ALBUM IS UP AND THE SITE IS GETTING HAMMERED

IT'S ALSO UP ON AMAZON MP3 FOR $5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00158SHD8

picblankir0.jpg

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

$0 Download
Ghosts I
The first 9 tracks from the Ghosts I-IV collection available as high-quality, DRM-free MP3s, including the complete PDF. more info

No credit card or payment information is required for this download.

$5 Download
Ghosts I-IV
All 36 tracks in a variety of digital formats including a 40 page PDF. more info

$10 2XCD set
Ghosts I-IV on two audio CDs in a six panel digipak package with a 16 page booklet. more info

Pre-order, to be shipped April 8, 2008. INCLUDES immediate full download in a variety of digital formats.

$70 Deluxe Edition Package
Ghosts I-IV in a hardcover fabric slipcase containing: 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD with all 36 tracks in multi-track format, and a Blu-ray disc with Ghosts I-IV in high-definition 96/24 stereo and accompanying slideshow. more info

Pre-order, to be shipped May 1, 2008. INCLUDES immediate download in a variety of digital formats.

$300 Ultra-Deluxe Limited Edition Package
Includes everything in the Deluxe Edition Package, along with an exclusive four-LP 180 gram vinyl set in a fabric slipcase, and two exclusive limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package. Limited to 2500 pieces, numbered and signed by Trent Reznor. more info more info

Pre-order, to be shipped May 1, 2008. Limit one per customer. INCLUDES immediate download in a variety of digital formats.

This music arrived unexpectedly as the result of an experiment. The rules were as follows: 10 weeks, no clear agenda, no overthinking, everything driven by impulse. Whatever happens during that time gets released as... something.

The team: Atticus Ross, Alan Moulder and myself with some help from Alessandro Cortini, Adrian Belew and Brian Viglione. Rob Sheridan collaborated with Artist in Residence (A+R) to create the accompanying visual and physical aesthetic.

We began improvising and let the music decide the direction. Eyes were closed, hands played instruments and it began. Within a matter of days it became clear we were on to something, and a lot of material began appearing. What we thought could be a five song EP became much more. I invited some friends over to join in and we all enjoyed the process of collaborating on this.

The end result is a wildly varied body of music that we're able to present to the world in ways the confines of a major record label would never have allowed - from a 100% DRM-free, high-quality download, to the most luxurious physical package we've ever created.

More volumes of Ghosts are likely to appear in the future.

- Trent Reznor, March 2, 2008

http://ghosts.nin.com

This is amazing

After $$$$yTardust, I'm very interested in this. I'll get the free DL of Ghost I first, and pay if I'm sufficiently impressed.

Reports are coming in that this is basically Still #2 which if true means that this is going to be a mindblowing two hours worth of music.

I got through and got the email and starting downloading. But my download is stuck and in the email it says the link is for a one time only download. So I'm afraid to cancel and take the chance that the link tells me to f off.

You gonna get the one with the Blu-Ray disc, Sporadic? ;)

This is an interesting pricing scheme - even the $300 version is a 'deal' based on what you're getting. It's not for me (though the vinyl makes me drool).

I'm with Liquid - I'll try the first one and if it's good, I'll drop $10 on the cds.

[quote name='mykevermin']You gonna get the one with the Blu-Ray disc, Sporadic? ;)
[/QUOTE]

:D Not right now (broke, wish I didn't order those imports this morning) but remember Beside You In Time is what made me buy a HD-DVD add-on.

NIN...or Reznor, I guess... is/are one of the few artists that could sell me on an entire album of instrumental stuff. I'll probably get the $10 one.

I'm having a hard time getting my email through to access a download link - but listening on the player, it's very unique ambient stuff.

fucking sweet, I'll order the $10 set once the website calms down tomorrow or the next day. I haven't been named after "broken" for 10 years for nothin' ya know?

I figured something big was up when Reznor posted "2 weeks" on the site a couple weeks ago, no clue it'd be something as big as this, though.

I wish I could make it through the ordering process asap..I want that digital download bad.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']I figured something big was up when Reznor posted "2 weeks" on the site a couple weeks ago, no clue it'd be something as big as this, though.

I wish I could make it through the ordering process asap..I want that digital download bad.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody was expect this. I was thinking we were going to get a modwheelmood-ese EP which would be 25 minutes long.

Get it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00158SHD8/

$5 and it will download in like 5-10 minutes.

You can download the .PDF for free

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/pdf

Streaming it right now. Good stuff.

As much as I'd like the $300 package (I'm a sucker for vinyls and collectible shit), I think I'm going to have to get the $10 package.

The $300 deal is pretty classy, I will strongly consider not buying it....

Even though it's really cool...

God bless the site for not going through, I shouldn't be spending this money.

[quote name='Sporadic']I don't think anybody was expect this. I was thinking we were going to get a modwheelmood-ese EP which would be 25 minutes long.

Get it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00158SHD8/

$5 and it will download in like 5-10 minutes.

You can download the .PDF for free

http://ghosts.nin.com/main/pdf[/QUOTE]

Given that Amazon's getting a cut from the MP3s and that the same five bucks will get you, at a bare minimum, higher bitrate MP3s from the Ghosts website I'd skip Amazon and wait until their server isn't bursting into flames from the surge of traffic it's getting.

Also, I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but somebody on Digg mentioned a $7 shipping and handling fee for the $10 package. It's hard to tell, though, seeing as I can't actually get the store to load.

I've never listened to Nine Inch Nails before, but I'm liking the instrumentals from the samples on Amazon and I really want to support this as a concept. We don't need the RIAA or the labels to get music out there, and five bucks is a small price to pay to help show that. As soon as I can get their store to load, they'll have another customer.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Given that Amazon's getting a cut from the MP3s and that the same five bucks will get you, at a bare minimum, higher bitrate MP3s from the Ghosts website I'd skip Amazon and wait until their server isn't bursting into flames from the surge of traffic it's getting.[/QUOTE]

I'm still buying the 2 disc CD or the Limited Edition from nin.com when their servers stop fucking up.

The Amazon purchase was to hold me over :D

[quote name='Scorch']If I buy the $5 album, can I burn it to disc?[/QUOTE]

The website says you've got a choice between 320kbps MP3, Apple Lossless, and FLAC for your download and that all three are DRM-free and Creative Commons licensed, so...yes. :D

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Also, I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but somebody on Digg mentioned a $7 shipping and handling fee for the $10 package. It's hard to tell, though, seeing as I can't actually get the store to load.[/QUOTE]

Once again proving that I shouldn't listen to Digg, I finally got through in the store and it looks like it's $10 flat for the CD. I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not I need the physical album, but I'm not going to try and order until tomorrow anyway to make sure that the servers aren't going to give out on me midway through my order.

I haven't listened to NIN in... a long, long time (I've had problems with depression in the past and Reznor's music is not always the most uplifting, although I've always thought it was exceptional). For free I can't say no. He is doing this very, very right: DRM free, high bitrate, torrents... this man is a genius. Most might have read this already, but just for the sake of showing how damn cool he is and yet still so grounded:
[quote name='nymag.com']What do you think about OiNK being shut down?
Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it — they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.

[source][/quote]

I cant seem to get the free download to get passed a certain point before it automatically tries to open and unarchive itself... weird... if I just buy the full cd version can I download it aswell?

edit- nvm read the op again. It seems my firefox keeps bombing out and freezing on the NIN website. I seem to be having more problems since the last update of FF.

If only everytime I tried to download it wouldnt stop in the middle... youd think if you could get through to download that it wouldnt just cut you off... I should have just bought the DD through amazon.

bread's done
Back