Locationfree Player and PS3 connectivity?

decon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Does anyone own a Locationfree player and connect it to the PS3?

My living room does not have a LAN port, would like to use the PS3's wireless capabilities.

I don't own a DVR, is there another way to watch cable TV on the PSP?

Thanks

[quote name='decon']Does anyone own a Locationfree player and connect it to the PS3?

My living room does not have a LAN port, would like to use the PS3's wireless capabilities.

I don't own a DVR, is there another way to watch cable TV on the PSP?

Thanks[/quote]

Lotsa questions...

1. I don't connect mine to the PS3, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's just a wireless repeater after all.

2. I think the model you want is the LFB20, which can still connect wirelessly when you don't have a LAN port to hook it up to. Of course, you still need a wireless router to see the LFB20 in the first place, it just acts as a wireless signal repeater, not a wireless router.

3. You can hook up the LFB to a DVD player, Satellite receiver, VCR, whatever, you don't need a DVR at all. The connections on th back include S-Video and composite with left-right audio jacks, so it's pretty much compatible with anything.
I have the LFB10 and can watch satellite TV on my PSP, but I need to have the DVD player on at the same time. It's kind of complicated to explain, but it works!

Ok I hooked up an ancient VCR and I can view it on my computers and laptop. I'm having trouble getting the PSP to recognize it.

[quote name='decon']Ok I hooked up an ancient VCR and I can view it on my computers and laptop. I'm having trouble getting the PSP to recognize it.[/quote]

More details might help, I'm going out on a limb here with suggestions.
Did you go through registering the PSP with the LFB? Also, I think you only get 2 keys with the LFB software to connect devices with it. It sounds like you have 2 registered with it already. You may have to purchase another key...

I downloaded the software that allows 8 keys from sony.com. I even update the LF-B10 firmware update.

I am at the Basic Settings menu where it says

Press and hold [SETUP MODE] button of the base station until the [SETUP MODE] LED on the front starts blinking. blah blah.

It just sits there and then times out. There is no problems connecting to the internet browser or to the PS3.

Ok it finally installed with the PSP.

My only problem is the VCR I have doesn't have a remote code on the PSP, it does on the desktop player. I tried to do the custom remote, but the IR in the base station doesn't like my old remote.

Basically, I can only change channels from my laptop or desktops.

I'm really interested in something like Locationfree or Slingbox since a lot of the sports I follow happens during the day when I work and I would love to stream these games to my PC. Which one do people recommend, Slingbox or Locationfree? I have a PSP also so Locationfree kind of appeals to me because I would be able to watch on a portable device if I'm near wifi.

[quote name='MadFlava']I'm really interested in something like Locationfree or Slingbox since a lot of the sports I follow happens during the day when I work and I would love to stream these games to my PC. Which one do people recommend, Slingbox or Locationfree? I have a PSP also so Locationfree kind of appeals to me because I would be able to watch on a portable device if I'm near wifi.[/quote]

The only way to watch on a PSP is with Locationfree.

I would get both if you can.

[quote name='decon']Ok it finally installed with the PSP.

My only problem is the VCR I have doesn't have a remote code on the PSP, it does on the desktop player. I tried to do the custom remote, but the IR in the base station doesn't like my old remote.

Basically, I can only change channels from my laptop or desktops.[/quote]

Glad you got it connect at least. Use your PSP to connect to the LocationFree icon to download the latest remote codes. Some new ones came out pretty recently, so maybe yours is included.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Glad you got it connect at least. Use your PSP to connect to the LocationFree icon to download the latest remote codes. Some new ones came out pretty recently, so maybe yours is included.[/quote]

What sucks is VCRs aren't supported at ALL with PSP.

[quote name='decon']What sucks is VCRs aren't supported at ALL with PSP.[/quote]

That does suck. I've never tried a using a VCR with my PSP, so I didn't realize this.

I nkow you said you tried the remote learning, feature, but I found this blog with a possible solution to your problem.

http://flinchbot.wordpress.com/2007/03/15/custom-remote-codes-on-psp-with-location-free/

although it sounds like something you've already tried yourself. Too bad you couldn't remove the PC's remote files and just dump them onto the PSP somehow.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']
although it sounds like something you've already tried yourself. Too bad you couldn't remove the PC's remote files and just dump them onto the PSP somehow.[/quote]

The files can't be found, although the custom remote file records to a folder.

Hey decon, I'm in the same position as you - PSP + the B10 LocationFree player with an old VCR. I think the B10 doesn't have the learn function of the newer models, as it seems the custom codes for the PSP apply to the B20 and newer.

If we could run custom codes by making our own remote code file, it'd look something like this: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34893 but I honestly have no idea how to find out what each button's codes would be.

bread's done
Back