Disgaea DS, Dood! - OUT NOW for all your exploding penguin needs

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
New Disgaea game for the DS mentioned in Famitsu

Well, Disgaea fans will be happy to know that the latest issue of Famitsu has a nice little tidbit of information within the confines of its pages. A new Disgaea title has been confirmed to be in the works for the DS, adding another installment in the franchise that fans are pretty much sure to love. Looks like they finally got around to checking out those poll results.

Rough translation (courtesy of GAFfer Tenbatsu) shows the game to be called Disgaea: Prince of the Demon World and the Red Moon. So based on that, we can predict the game will have some kind of demon world play an important role, as well as a prince and some kind of red moon. What can we say? We're gaming journalists. It's what we do.

It's actually a port, but it looks like it will contain everything from Afternoon of Darkness and more. Also, apparently all the cutscenes and voice acting will remain intact. (Edit: Some of the voice acting has been cut, but not all of it.)

Thanks to SL4IN for this link: http://kotaku.com/369309/some-disgaea-ds-details-revealed

Niida goes on to mention that this version of the game will include everything from the PSP version plus extra content. For Digaea fans this should prove to quite interesting news.

Here's the full interview mentioned in that Kotaku post: http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/news/newsitem560.aspx

Two other DS Nippon Ichi games have also been mentioned - Jigsaw World and Rhapsody, the latter of which may be another port (but at least it's a port of an older/harder to find title!). Source

---

ETA (7/1): Disgaea DS will release in North America on September 23rd. Source

ETA (8/8): Rosenqueen is offering a Prinny stylus as a preorder bonus: https://rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=249
They also have a set that includes Disgaea DS and Rhapsody DS, the Prinny stylus, a Rhapsody CD, and a Disgaea figurine: https://rosenqueen.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=251&HS=1

ETA (9/8): New "Disgaea Compilation" strategy guide coming out this week. Amazon listing here (thanks meerkatgamer!). Also, RPGamer's review is up.

ETA (9/23): Disgaea DS ships today! Also, every copy of the Disgaea Compilation guide ordered directly from DoubleJump Books will be signed by one of the authors. Here's the info.

More reviews rolling in:
Hardcore Gamer - 3.75 (out of 5) - http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=1&type=article&id_article=201
IGN - 9.0 - http://ds.ign.com/articles/912/912187p1.html
RPGFan - 88% - http://rpgfan.com/reviews/disgaea-ds/index.html

---

For lots more on Disgaea DS, check out DS Fanboy's collection of posts tagged "Disgaea".

Famitsu scans:

disgaea-ds-scans-1-1big-dsf.jpg

disgaea-ds-scans-1-2big-dsf.jpg

Screenshots:

disds6.jpg
disds5.jpg

disds3.jpg

Gameplay vids: http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/07/30/get-a-glimpse-of-disgaea-ds/

Official site: http://disgaea.us/disds/

Last edited by a moderator:
sadly it probally will never get ported over here. By the time its out and ready to come over i say there is a new handheld by Nintendo

also any new news when the new DQ game for ds comes to the usa

[quote name='slidecage']
also any new news when the new DQ game for ds comes to the usa[/quote]
I would guess 6 months to a year after it's out in Japan. And it's probably not out in Japan until the end of the year at the earliest.

Looking forward to more info on Disgaea, a new game would be awesome.

[quote name='rodeojones903']If its a new game ill pick it up, if not I'm happy with the psp version.[/QUOTE]

qft

I just got hour of darkness for PS2 on Rosenqueen (sp?) for $30.

Im not planning to spend another $30 on the same game again.

Besides, arent they hard at work on making Disgaea 3?

'Prince of the demon world' sounds like a port to me, sadly.

I hope it's new. I liked the Etna mode they put with Afternoon of Darkness, but I don't know if I'd be up for the grind a third time if it's all the same.

[quote name='slidecage']sadly it probally will never get ported over here. By the time its out and ready to come over i say there is a new handheld by Nintendo

also any new news when the new DQ game for ds comes to the usa[/quote]

Why wouldnt it come out over here? Hasn't every single Disgaea game seen a US release? Disgaea is alot more popular here than most niche Japanese titles.

Yay!! I'm a big fan of Disgaea, I'm actually going through right now and playing the PSP version of the original (it has the extra part added). :)

/tk

Updated the original post. Disgaea DS looks to be a port after all, so not too exciting. I hope it includes Etna Mode and other extras, since I never got Afternoon of Darkness (no PSP), and that might convince me to buy the DS version.

A Rhapsody port though... would pick that up for sure.

[quote name='blueshinra']Updated the original post. Disgaea DS looks to be a port after all, so not too exciting. I hope it includes Etna Mode and other extras, since I never got Afternoon of Darkness (no PSP), and that might convince me to buy the DS version.

A Rhapsody port though... would pick that up for sure.[/quote]

I to would LOVE a Rhapsody port..let's just hope they turn up the difficulty (or atleast a choice to play it on a harder mode).

A port for psp version, I'll pass. I'm never a fan of Nintendo Ds sound system. When it comes voice dialog, it will sound all grainy or hard to hear, games like Luminous Arc or any other ds game with voice dialog.

I wouldn't mind a Disgaea port. I borrowed a freind's copy of the original ps2 version but never was able to complete it. (stopped at the rainbow rangers, haha).

But seeing how Front Mission was accepted here and FFTactics A2 hopefully coming out here, I don't think it'll do so well here. Especially since it's a cult following type of game.

I'm kind of annoyed that they didn't work on Disgaea 2 for PSP instead of porting to the DS, but maybe this will mean more exposure for the series which is more valuable.

How disappointing. I'd rather have them bomb and NIS abandon the platform entirely than use it as a cash cow for their other developments.

I thought they were stubbornly turning the corner, having ignored the marketshare situation for all these years, as if they were really happy with publishing all those Idea Factory games.

I was all ready to resume my support of the company after hearing their announcement of DS support. I had started shopping around for GrimGrimoire and Soul Nomad. Now I get to revoke it until they show the platform a little more respect.

If it includes the extras from the PSP version, I'll likely pick it up. I may pick it up either way since I'm a huge fan.

I'm intrigued by the character designs of Jigsaw World on the next page.

[quote name='blueshinra']More on Disgaea DS, complete with screenshots. NIS America's looking to release it this summer in the US (that was quick).

Sample screenshot:
disds5.jpg

Why didn't they put the menus on the top screen? Unfortunately, this is looking worse with each passing day.[/QUOTE]

If this is supposed to be released this summer, theres not gonna be enough time to manage all them menu windows properly.
There are two screens for a reason...
Its a good thing i Called rosenqueen.com and bought off their last hour of darkness for $30.
\m/(O_O)\m/

Too bad. I love me some Disgaea, but um ... I own the first game. No need to rebuy a port just for portability's sake.

pass big time. I loved disgaea on the ps2. got the PSP port but never played it.

they should of ported over disgaea 2 on the ds not just another part 1 remake.

im sort of shocked the DS could even hold disgaea.

Name the last Ds rpg game that lasted 50 + hours (besides pokemon)

dungen explorer Ds was only like 8 hours compair to the psp version what is closer to 30+

Just got an email:

Disgaea DS is a port of Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for PSP, so it has an Etna mode and multiplayer mode as well. This DS version has an option to play with the stylus. Also, there will be a grid map on the top screen, so you can strategize even better!

I hoped for something more original than a port, yea, definitely going to pass on this and wait for the Disgaea 2 Port (crossing fingers) for the PSP. I wonder how the audio and music will turn out on the DS version vs the PSP/PS2.

ChibiJosh: Thanks for the info. If it has Etna mode, I might pick it up; never got the PSP version and have been wanting to play Disgaea again anyway. However, I'm not encouraged by the lame use of the top screen...

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']So, it's the PSP game with worse graphics and an unnecessary top screen.

Pass.[/QUOTE]

Not all of us have a PSP or the psp version.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Not all of us have a PSP or the psp version.[/quote]

Not saying you do. I'm saying I do, and thus, I pass.

Hence, "Pass."

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Not saying you do. I'm saying I do, and thus, I pass.

Hence, "Pass."[/QUOTE]

Was etnas mode really all that worthwhile?

[quote name='slidecage']pass big time. I loved disgaea on the ps2. got the PSP port but never played it.

they should of ported over disgaea 2 on the ds not just another part 1 remake.

im sort of shocked the DS could even hold disgaea.[/QUOTE]

Let's face it: most of Disgaea was recycled environments. If you drop the video and voice work, it's really no bigger than any other SRPG -- you just have to keep hitting the same boards over and over.

[quote name='slidecage']Name the last Ds rpg game that lasted 50 + hours (besides pokemon)[/QUOTE]

Etrian Odyssey? Most of the Final Fantasy games? I'm sure there are more. That's like saying there were no 50+ hour RPGs before the PS1.

I cannot wait to play Etna mode. I dont own a psp, I was hoping they would release the psp version on the ps2 as 'Disgaea directors cut' or something, but this is just as good. Disgaea on my daily work commute should keep me occupied for a few months.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Was etnas mode really all that worthwhile?[/quote]

Couldn't tell you; I never played it on PS2, so I'm still playing through the regular game on AoD.

No, not really. I didn't hate it, it was a nice to add a little something extra for the folks who had already played Disgaea, but it wouldn't recommend buying it if all you want is Etna's story.

It was ok, but that question is better answered if you like to max out your characters. If you do, Etna's mode is the better place for it, so in that regard, it would be worth it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Awesome news; added it to the main post.

It looks like all the voice work will be in there as well... crazy :O[/quote]

I know this is just being picky, but today is the 18th :D

I wish it would tell us exactly what the added content is, but the "characters from our past titles" has me intrigued. But, when they say "past" could that include Disgaea 2 characters too? It's like a paradox...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I know this is just being picky, but today is the 18th :D[/QUOTE]
Hah, thanks. I'm still asleep, obviously @_@

[quote name='DQT']How the heck are they fitting this game on a DS cartridge?[/quote]

Disgaea hasn't ever been known for pushing the boundaries of hardware.

This is the first thing that has made me wish I didn't sell my DS (I don't have a PSP).

I've never played Disgaea but I had a friend who spoke real highly of it. Seems like an interesting game, might be worth checking out.

How big are DS cartridges now anyway?

Yay!!! I love disgaea!! This was one of the reasons I was looking into buying a PSP(there are still other reasons FFT for one) but this is awesome!!!

I wonder what the extra content will be. I'll have to keep an eye on this, I have the PSP version but I could let it go if this turns out to be better in some significant way.

[quote name='blueshinra']A couple recent links from DS Fanboy:

Screenshot comparisons between the PS2, PSP, and DS versions. In short, graphically, there isn't much of one (not that that's a huge surprise) -
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/20/disgaea-afternoon-of-comparing-screenshots/

Japanese box art. I love it! There's also some details about the multiplayer aspect -
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/03/21/disgaea-gets-boxart-limited-multiplayer/[/quote]

Wow. I would'nt have guessed that that the DS version would look as good as the PS2/PSP, but they look identical. Day one purchase for sure.

As far as fitting on a DS cart. The game is mostly numbers and stats, I doubt the ps2 version even came close to filling a dvd. I dont even remember much video or animation in the game. Wasn't the story told thru static image cutscenes?

[quote name='Puffa469']Wow. I would'nt have guessed that that the DS version would look as good as the PS2/PSP, but they look identical. Day one purchase for sure.

As far as fitting on a DS cart. The game is mostly numbers and stats, I doubt the ps2 version even came close to filling a dvd. I dont even remember much video or animation in the game. Wasn't the story told thru static image cutscenes?[/QUOTE]

It was told with voice overs. Plenty of fans are worried that the one thing thats gonna get the axe on this port of a port is the voice acting. I know that the gba could handle voices with riviera. And if luminous arc had voices, then so should this

bread's done
Back