Beyond Good and Evil

Toireht

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Beyond Good and Evil

Beyond Good and Evil is one of those rare gems that are so great and does everything correct that if you pass this game up your going to miss one of the greatest games of this generation. It starts out with Jade, a freelance photographer, seeing how great life is on Hillys but is then attacked by the evil alien race Domz. Jade and her companions are saved by the Alpha Section, which lead the people of Hillys that they are protecting them from the evil Domz Empire. But the Iris network does not believe this and is out to show the people of Hillys the Alpha Sections truth through pictures that Jade takes.

Graphics/ Sound
The graphics in this game are great from a technical standpoint and an artistic one. The facial animations that Jade shows is beyond anything we have ever seen, and it really shows the team spent a lot of time on this so they can show emotions. The animations are also great, from the way a huge centipede sways through the air, or how the leaves blow around you, you will be amazed. But good graphics are made even better if they have great sound to tie together with, and BGE also shines in this area. The Voice work in this game is Pixar quality, and never lets up all the way through the game. Music is also fantastic in that it uses a more organic sound and all the music matches the environment they are put into is a great blend of graphics and sound. Sound effects are nothing to brag about, but gets the job done enough that you wont have anything to complain about.

Game play
BGE’s game play isn't the deepest or most innovating but its enough to keep you occupied. Puzzles range from all sorts of difficulty, but they never feel to hard and you’re always moving on to the next one. The fighting system in the game, though, is very basic and the only real weapons you have is your stick and discs that you shoot. While you are fighting its usually just rapidly pressing the A button with no real strategy. But you have a companion through most of the game, Pey’j who’s your humanoid pig uncle, that adds a nice layer of depth by being able to use him in fights and puzzles. Where it makes up for flaws is when it changes the pace of game between dungeons and throws you into vehicle combat that is great every time and you just can't wait for the next one. Most of the game you will have to use stealth and sneak past people, while BGE does do it good, it just really begs for more depth to the stealth. Most of the stealth is really basic and is really too simple to feel rewarding. The boss fights are really quite interesting, and make really good use of your partner, and the ending boss fight is one of the most unique bosses for a while.

Value
This game is great while it lasts, but it ends far too soon and you will be wanting more. You can complete this game in 12 hours, but that’s if you look at everything and talk to every single person, most gamers will finish this game in about 8 hours. But BGE is only $20 at most places now, so for 8hs of game play that will blow your mind it’s a pretty good bargain.

Ending comments
If you are looking for a great Zelda like adventure game, that will have you smile, and make you care about the Characters in the game, then this is the game you should pick up with no hesitation. There are some people that may be turned off by some of the stealth play but the story and characters are so great you should just play it for just that. The game is short and you could finish during a weekend rental, but either way you do it rent the game or buy it. I don’t think there is a gamer who should pass this up.

GRADE- 9.1

Tell me what you think for my first one, tried fixing all the errors i could

I feel your Viewtiful Joe review was dead on, but I think you may have given BG&E to high of a score. I'm in the minority here, but I feel the game doesn't deserve the credit it has recieved. In fact, it was my choice in the "most over-rated game" thread.

It's not that the game is horrible, but the last 3 Zeldas are better. I think the way that BG&E scores so high is in it's length (or lack there of). People don't feel overwhelmed and it's a fairly simple game so people get through it. What i'm getting at is that it's lack of length makes you overlook it's shortcomings. Many people will never finish Majora's Mask, Windwaker, or even OoT because they are either too hard for them (OoT for some, Master's Quest for others) or the length of the game is too long (all 3 for most people). Therefor, they never get too look back at the game in satisfaction. In many ways this looks like a good arguement to why BG&E is superior to Zelda, but it's not. BG&E just has a broader appeal because it's mindless action that's soon over with. If Zelda was reduced to such, it would be evident to a larger margin of people that it is indeed the better game. BG&E's story is not something to write home about, it's graphics are inferior to Zelda's, it's music is average, the action is inferior to Zelda's, it's stealth is inferior to Zelda's (which probably shouldn't be part of an adventure game to begin with), and it lacks the depth of Zelda.

BG&E is enjoyable in the same sense Crash Bandicoot series is (although I enjoyed Crash Bandicoot: Warped, a lot more than BG&E). It gives you a few different styles of gameplay that are easy to play, you finish the game quickly, and in 2 years you completely forget about what you just experienced.

Like I said, i'm in the minority, and I still enjoyed your reviews (especially Viewtiful Joe's). I look foward to more.

[quote name='Parathod']I feel your Viewtiful Joe review was dead on, but I think you may have given BG&E to high of a score. I'm in the minority here, but I feel the game doesn't deserve the credit it has recieved. In fact, it was my choice in the "most over-rated game" thread.

It's not that the game is horrible, but the last 3 Zeldas are better. I think the way that BG&E scores so high is in it's length (or lack there of). People don't feel overwhelmed and it's a fairly simple game so people get through it. What i'm getting at is that it's lack of length makes you overlook it's shortcomings. Many people will never finish Majora's Mask, Windwaker, or even OoT because they are either too hard for them (OoT for some, Master's Quest for others) or the length of the game is too long (all 3 for most people). Therefor, they never get too look back at the game in satisfaction. In many ways this looks like a good arguement to why BG&E is superior to Zelda, but it's not. BG&E just has a broader appeal because it's mindless action that's soon over with. If Zelda was reduced to such, it would be evident to a larger margin of people that it is indeed the better game. BG&E's story is not something to write home about, it's graphics are inferior to Zelda's, it's music is average, the action is inferior to Zelda's, it's stealth is inferior to Zelda's (which probably shouldn't be part of an adventure game to begin with), and it lacks the depth of Zelda.

BG&E is enjoyable in the same sense Crash Bandicoot series is (although I enjoyed Crash Bandicoot: Warped, a lot more than BG&E). It gives you a few different styles of gameplay that are easy to play, you finish the game quickly, and in 2 years you completely forget about what you just experienced.

Like I said, i'm in the minority, and I still enjoyed your reviews (especially Viewtiful Joe's). I look foward to more.[/quote]

Wow... I want to meet the person who can't finish Windwaker because it is too hard! In my opinion if one can't finish windwaker they need to have their gaming license revoked.

Interesting review though, I really liked all the games mentioned (Crash the Zelda Games and BG&E)

Thanks, I wasn't exactly reviewing it though and I put in the "(OoT for some, Master's Quest for others)" to show what games I meant as being difficult, or at least much more difficult than BG&E. I guess if I was reviewing BG&E, i'd give it an 8.0. It's definitely a better clone than the Harry Potter titles or even Sphinx, but it's pretty far from a 9 or 10 in my book. I just think that Zelda continually sets the standard so high that other games can't match it. I just hope they de-emphasize stealth in the next one.

[quote name='Parathod']It's not that the game is horrible, but the last 3 Zeldas are better.[/quote]

Really? Most people I know said BG&E was everything Zelda: Wind Waker should've been. I love BG&E myself and it was my favorite game of last year.

[quote name='Barnolde'][quote name='Parathod']It's not that the game is horrible, but the last 3 Zeldas are better.[/quote]

Really? Most people I know said BG&E was everything Zelda: Wind Waker should've been. I love BG&E myself and it was my favorite game of last year.[/quote]

I'd agree with that. Both had sea travel but BG&E's didn't make you want to get yourself sterilized so that you could never have children to suffer through it.

I own BG&E and was surprised at how good it was. Sadly, I only played about half of it, and then I never got back to it...

Its a very good game but too flawed to be considered a true masterpiece. Certainly not in the league of a Zelda game.

A 9 out of 10? . . . sure . . . maybe a bit high . . . 8 out of 10???

I didn't finish it either . . . it wasn't compelling enough. The photography part of surprisingly fun.

I did finish Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time . . .

I was playing the PS2 version and since got an Xbox and a $5 it for the box . . . its still sealed.

Eh, I was expecting much more from the story. It sets itself up to be a big twisty affair, with all sorts of plot developments, but ends up following through with the most obvious conclusion, offering a disappointing conclusion. The game itself is ok, but the shallow story really hurts it in the long run. I'd say 7/10, no higher.

bread's done
Back