PS2 General Info Thread

SOCOM II. As long as they prevent the cheaters, it will surpass the first. It looks amazing. I spent 5 months from August to January until the cheating became just too bad so I moved onto MOHAA. If they prevent it, I'll be in paradise.

[quote name='KSwoosh']To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.[/quote]

Exactly why I sold my Network Adaptor. Socom is not a fun game to play online. Tribes is the only decent shooter.

Never play on the North American lobbies, too many cheaters their. I play Canada West, awesome servers. Its not like the North American Servers where there are a few good people, a few moderately good people, and 75% newbies. It's a good mix of good and moderately good people. I like it. I've been playing there for at least 3 months without seeing a cheater once.

Xbox Live has pretty much the same amount, but does have a few more shooters. And all games from now on are using the same DNAS software that Xbox Live uses to not allow people with modchips or cheat devices to play online.

[quote name='KSwoosh']To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.[/quote]

amen...live woops psgay online.......and everything else for that matter

I expected more from some of you. Tribes and Socom are not simply shooters. They are First Person Shooters. When you say shooters it makes me thing of games like Einhander, R-Type, Radient Silvergun, and others like them. Let's differentiate from now on shall we?

[quote name='guyver2077'][quote name='KSwoosh']To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.[/quote]

amen...live woops psgay online.......and everything else for that matter[/quote]
Ya, but suckers like you that play on xbox live have to pay a monthly fee and Ps2 dudes don't... I repeat... SUCKER!

a lot (like half,i watch lots of movies) of the movies listed on ign for my version of the ps2 do not have the problems listed. version 1.10

[quote name='noxious_locust'][quote name='guyver2077'][quote name='KSwoosh']To many freakin' sports games and no good shooters. Thats why Live is much better.[/quote]

amen...live woops psgay online.......and everything else for that matter[/quote]
Ya, but suckers like you that play on xbox live have to pay a monthly fee and Ps2 dudes don't... I repeat... SUCKER![/quote]

Umm...do you mind telling me since when was $50, for a year, a monthly fee? Thats the same price as a regular new video game, and if you play online a lot, then its more than worth the money. Plus with no cheaters and the great organization of XBL, I feel that I spent my ($30- Sale at CC) well, instead of the $40 I spend on a network adapter which I recentely traded.

My god will you all quit with all this System war bullcrap? If you want a War thread start one someplace else. jesus.

[quote name='magilacudy']Here's the truth. PS2 SUX XBOX SUX GC SUX

GO APEXTREME RULZZZZZZ[/quote]

while you have a point, the $400 price tag will most likley kill this machine

there are getting to be many more sports games out there...which is slowly taking the price down on those games ( :lol: ) but yet, is getting old quickly, bcaz u cant do much different about sports games, everything is set in rules and all...
but shooter, and adventure games, they shold have more ....

I would appreciate it if everyone took a second to go to my PS2 Online Game List that is in the first post and click the ad on the top about NFSU 2. Thanks alot guys.

I hope this question fits here. I just replaced my old ps2 with a slim one and set it up and tested it out and everything. The new buttons and disc tray were a little weird to get used to, but I liked the slimmed version alot.

So then after I get done testing things out, I reach for the off switch in the back as I normally would when I realized "WTF, where's the off switch??" Then I had to pull out the manual and found out that there is no off switch, you can only put it in standby mode. The manual says you can put it on standby mode, but to unplug it if not used for a long time.

Is a long time like a few days or a weeks?

Then one more thing. I was playing with my PS2 and after a couple hours, I noticed it got really hot fast. Er.. would this be considered normal? If that's the case, then my sleepless nights of RPG-ing will turn my PS2 into a molten slag. Because I realized that there's no cooling fan inside the console.

Anyone know if I'm worrying too much?

ok..I am on a mission till told other wise by my dad, he is looking for a good deal on "Return to Castle Wolfenstein".. So if any one out there can guide me in the right direction greatly appreciated..:) Thanx Gypc

Im looking for websites, tutorials, online shops, anything to do with PS2 Mods performance and case wise. But the thing is I don't really care about the Modchip thing. It seems drastic and I don't care about getting it to play certain disc's. All I really want to do is enhance its performance. Specifically finding ways to keep it cooler by getting better airflow. Can anybody help me out? Thanks.

[quote name='oper00']I hope this question fits here. I just replaced my old ps2 with a slim one and set it up and tested it out and everything. The new buttons and disc tray were a little weird to get used to, but I liked the slimmed version alot.

So then after I get done testing things out, I reach for the off switch in the back as I normally would when I realized "WTF, where's the off switch??" Then I had to pull out the manual and found out that there is no off switch, you can only put it in standby mode. The manual says you can put it on standby mode, but to unplug it if not used for a long time.

Is a long time like a few days or a weeks?

Then one more thing. I was playing with my PS2 and after a couple hours, I noticed it got really hot fast. Er.. would this be considered normal? If that's the case, then my sleepless nights of RPG-ing will turn my PS2 into a molten slag. Because I realized that there's no cooling fan inside the console.

Anyone know if I'm worrying too much?[/quote]

I was kind of annoyed by this too, but they said it's normal and not to worry. I used to unplug and even COVER my old fat PS2s and every one had problems. So now, I leave the 50001 I swapped my slim PStwo for in standby mode(unless there's going to be a t-storm, then I at least shut it down via the power switch). Someone DID disassemble a slim and I think they SHOWED a small fan situated on the bottom most part of the system, but I never felt any warm air being pushed out of the system. That's why I swapped for a fat PS2, because I didn't like the warmness.

In Japan the silver slim had multiple problems with compatability with BOTH PS1 and PS2 games and in the US I've read reports of silver slims bricking within a month of being bought. So, I guess the DREs are the least of peoples worries anymore with the now slim PStwo. Hell, even my one buddy whose family has a silver slim has had problems with it not wanting to read ANY discs because the spindle won't spin them the first or second time starting it up. Just another problem to add to Sony's JunkBox 2.

Oh and Cheapy, would you consider adding the following link to YouTube for people wanting to clean their DRE PS2's laser. It's a video which SHOWS the steps being done and doesn't tell people to adjust the height of their laser as a FIRST step(which can lead to disc scratching if done improperly). I think it's well done and if I had a video cam, I could've probably made the same type of vid, since I've done this umpteen times myself.

Here's the link, I think it shows how to do it QUITE well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhof6WtePyM

I'll start here with my request. I'm looking for a listing of all PS2 games that run in 480p/progressive scan. Links or lists of games are appreciated. Thanks.

I'll start here with my request. I'm looking for a listing of all PS2 games that run in 480p/progressive scan. Links or lists of games are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='neocisco']I'll start here with my request. I'm looking for a listing of all PS2 games that run in 480p/progressive scan. Links or lists of games are appreciated. Thanks for the help.[/quote]Just got an HDTV and am wondering the same thing. Also, what's the best way to hook up my PS2 to the new tv. Component I presume? Are generics good or should I go with Sony brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi guys....

ps2 system
madden 06
madden 05
medal gear solid 3
time splitters 3
More idea on that queries ????
:bouncy::bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there people. As the new owner of a used PS2 Slim, I had a question about the disc getting circular scratches on it. Does it only scratch it if it's on its side or what? I would never sit mine on its side anyway. I was reading up on this but didn't find an exact answer. Not yet anyway. Someone said it was the ribbon thing that does it, but didn't say whether or not if it affects the disc if laid down flat. I'd rather have a fat model, since it has the trey. Taking a game out of this one seems annoying as crap. I get anal if I think something is gonna casue harm to my games. I know it has a little bumper type thing at the back right so the disc won't slide back farther as you're taking it out, but still bugs me. I probably won't be playing any games I have that aren't scratched, since I don't want them like that to begin with. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapyD']This sticky will be a place holder for all PS2 info that I deem noteworthy.
[/QUOTE]
[quote name='CheapyD']
[/QUOTE]

Appreciated will gone to cheapyD for this thread. Need to buy a PS2 for this amazing weekend and need to know about errors to keep my PS2 always at sound health.

bread's done
Back