How in the World do I change Sega Genesis game batteries!?

Miaswebethgu

CAG Veteran
I've been running all over the internet trying to understand. At this point, I have a 4.5mm Gamebit, and I've opened my game... I see that the battery is a CR2032. Now what?

I have no soldering skills, nor the tools, nor any proper tape (I think...). I've read mention of changing the cartridge or whatever so that new batteries can be popped in 'n out with no problems, no worry. How do I even begin to make this work? What should I buy and where? Please provide photos! To those that help me I blow you kisses...

I plan on doing a little video and a step by step walkthrough (WITH PICTURES) and I'll post it here. I have my new battery and the Sega Master Cart (should be the same) and all I need is a good soldering iron, which i should be picking up this weekend.

[quote name='Jangofatt']I plan on doing a little video and a step by step walkthrough (WITH PICTURES) and I'll post it here. I have my new battery and the Sega Master Cart (should be the same) and all I need is a good soldering iron, which i should be picking up this weekend.[/quote]

Tight.
It should be the most the informative thing on the internet. Looking forward to it!

Okay, this is my first step-by-step instructional guide from my website and I tried to make it as easy and simplified as I can possibly make it. There’s a few links on the proper way to solder and the stickied thread on CAG should be a first place to start.

I hope this will answer most of you questions and give you the confidence to take on this task. Soldering is easy and I believe that unsoldering then soldering the new battery is the best way to replace your game-saving batteries.

I plan on doing a quick video soon and that will probably be on an SNES cart. That will happen whenever I get around to getting a video camcorder.

Please any and all critiques are encouraged.

Here's the link: How to Change the Save Battery on a Sega Master System Cart.

If you find this walk-through useful, please Digg the article.

Alright Jango, here's my critique!
Suggestions, Questions, and Confusions:

1. Since you figure that the CR2032-2H battery may work best, you should mention them sooner, preferably in the ITEM LIST as an alternative to the CR2032-2-15 battery.

2. The first two photos after As you can see the battery is soldered onto the PCB by two points. are confusing, because in the first photo, the board appears to be upside down. And it's already confusing because on a Genesis game's board, the face of the chips and the face of the battery (the topside of the battery) are on the same side.

3. Being new to solder/ing, I'm guessing that electrical solder is a specific type of solder, and that a soldering iron is what you...put it in? I'll admit I only glanced at that How to Solder link. *looks again* Okay there actually separate, then you apply the hot iron to the solder. Got it.

4. Also, I don't completely understand what PCB is...but after sticking the pins of the new battery through it, should you then use your fingers to bend the pins up against the board, then apply heat to them? 'Cause looking at my Genesis game board, I wonder if that's how they did it...

5. You say you spent $100 on your soldering iron--can you recommend another good one for less? Like 20 bucks? Does eBay help...?

6. I'll look myself after posting this, but if you know a good place to buy the second battery, CR2032-2H, do tell!

7. Check spelling and grammar.

I swear though, if I had all the tools, I'd be doing this right now. It's not really popping the battery in-n-out, but I don't even care now. That's the clearest thing I've ever read or seen on changing on a game battery. I've already learned a lot and greatly appreciate this!:applause: *Umm...blows you kisses, as promised*

I just remembered... March 16th being my birthday, this makes a great gift! Double yay!:D

Okay, I added the alternative abttery in the item ist with a link so that should take care of any confusion early.

What game are you trying to replace the battery on? When my security bits arrive, I'll open a Genesis cart and see what you're talking about. On the Sega Master Cart, the big globs of solder near the red positive and negative symbols are the two points that needs to be unsoldered. (this is the picture were the cart looks upside down)

PCB = Printed Circuit Board.

You shouldn't bend the pins when you stick the battery through. Just temporary use electrical tap to hold the battery in place. Solder the two pins in place the remove the tape. If you need/want to , you can snip off the excess with your diagonal cutters. [Nevermnd, I see what you mean by bent tabs. My misunderstanding]

I prefer the Weller brand but any soldeing iron will work. i just spent the extra money because I also need to repalce the batteries on my CPS2 arcade boards and I didn't want to risk shorting those. I would suggest maybe this one for about $40.

My priority game is Shining Force II, and I also want to handle Shining Force I, some Sonic games, and whatever RPGs I find later.

Wow--you can run a Genesis cartridge without all the casing? Wouldn't have thought that was safe.

Seriously, though, you don't even need video. These two entries are amazing. I've got some free time now, so I think I'll gather the parts today.

Thanks, man!:D

I want something more permanent. The whole point is to save my data -- I want flash-level reliability.

Is there a low-discharge rechargeable battery on the market that can be wired in place of the existing battery, and gets charge from the cartridge being played?

I'd always assumed something along these lines already happened (like how applied voltage "replenishes" the data in flash drive technology).

Perhaps wiring the internals of the battery to one of the pins on the cartridge that always gets constant voltage (assuming there is one -- if not, add it)? Not sure how that would affect reading the save while you're playing it, or whether the voltage supplied to the cartridge can be transformed down to the voltage used by the save-game/battery.

bread's done
Back