CAG Foreplay #36: Achievements, Increase Your Numbers! (3/12/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of March 12th, 2008. Super Smash Bros. Brawl has been out for a few days now, so it might be time to give your cramped and blistered hands a rest and find out about the other offerings that are coming out this week. Unfortunately, we have yet to figure out a good way to distribute stickers or trophies to our faithful listeners, but we're working on that.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to getyour savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay36.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Multi-Platform

Condemned 2: Bloodshot Dev. Monolith Productions Pub. Sega Systems: 360, PS3 MSRP: $59.99
The disturbing, first-person hobo bludgeoner is back and more fleshed out this time around. The locales are more varied, the crime scene investigations are more in depth, and the items you can beat people with approach Dead Rising levels of wackiness (albeit a much more sadistic form of wackiness). Unlike the first game though, Bloodshot offers a greater mix of gunplay to go with the unsettling atmosphere, so expect to actually find weapons with more than a Barney Fife level of ammo allowance. All in all, if you’ve got the stomach for this type of game, it seems to be an excellent horror game that improves on all facets of its predecessor. And if you’ve got the stomach for mediocre multiplayer, well have fun swinging blunt objects at your fellow iron-gutted friends online. - ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering a free copy of the original Condemned with the purchase of the Xbox 360 version of Condemned 2: Bloodshot. Best Buy is offering a free $10 gift card and EB/GameStop is offering a free multiplayer strategy guide with the purchase of either version.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free Multiplayer Strategy Guide)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free original Condemned Xbox 360 game with purchase)
:360: Purchase At Best Buy $59.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)
:360: Purchase At Fry's $49.99
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At EB Games $59.99 (Free Multiplayer Strategy Guide)
:ps3: Purchase At Best Buy $59.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)

George of the Jungle Dev. Ignition Entertainment Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PS2, DS, Wii MSRP: $19.99, $29.99
You may have noticed a new Canadian-based George of the Jungle Cartoon on Cartoon Network while you were fruitlessly searching for Futurama (it's now on Comedy Central – DUH!). If you showed your annoyance by proclaiming, "There’s nothing good on TV!" and shut it off, this game might not be for you. If you thought, "Wow, this is interesting. Boy do I hope they release a multi-system action/platformer based on this cartoon!" then these games are for you. The screenshots for this game don't look bad; the animation style is pretty well done. However, there's not much information out about the gameplay other than all three games are single-player and carry an ESRB warning that they contain comic mischief. Buyers beware. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering the PS2 version of George of the Jungle for $14 shipped.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: DS, PSP, PS2, 360, PS3 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
The premier footy franchise hasn’t really changed up the formula this year, but the graphics are slightly improved (still not spectacular) and the AI has been tweaked. The computer now does a better job of adjusting to your tendencies, so if you do indeed have tendencies, watch out! (Attention moms, we are now halfway through this preview so feel free to pass out the orange slices and Capri-Suns.) As always, the game is fully customizable so you can edit in your favorite players, like Senor Slidetackle, Goalie McGoalieguy, or even Jonathon Brandis of Ladybugs fame. I’d suggest avoiding the DS version though, as even JB can’t save that one from getting pummeled by the critics (this is the pre-Sidekicks JB after all). - ship

Best Deal:
Fry’s is offering the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 for $45.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $46.87 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Fry's $44.99
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $46.87 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Fry's $44.99
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

World Championship Cards Dev. Crave Entertainment Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: PS2, PSP MSRP: $14.99, $19.99
My biggest problem with Sony's recent slew of casual games is that they're really difficult (and boring) to preview. I mean, this is a card game. It includes (but is not limited to) Bridge, Gin Rummy, Solitaire, Cribbage, Hearts, Spades, and Crazy 8's. There are 30 games (or variations of games) total. Now, these titles were first announced in July of 2006, so I figure that with all that development time, this must be one pretty amazing card game. I guess we'll just wait and see. If these games really get released this week. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for World Championship Cards.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Amazon $19.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $18.99 (Free shipping)

Wii

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return Dev. Sega Pub. Sega Systems: Wii MSRP: $29.99
Shoot zombies, shoot zombies, it’s fun to shoot zombies. Personally, I think fat zombies are my favorite type of zombies to shoot as they just have the guts to accommodate shotgun induced holes. Not like those skinny zombies whose limbs or heads blow clean off; I like my zombies with some meat on ‘em. I suppose it takes all kinds of zombies to make the world go ‘round though, so I’m sure you can find something to fit your personal tastes in this compilation of the classic light gun arcade games. Horrible voice acting and two player co-op play are included at no extra fee… but if you charge your friend a quarter each time he has to continue, the game will pay for itself in no time. Unless your friend is really good, which then you’ve at least found someone you’ll want to keep around for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Either way, you win… and zombies get shot. - ship

Best Deal:
Fry’s is offering House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return with a Smart Gun Pro for $35.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Fry's $34.99 (Includes Smart Gun Pro)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Dev. Sora Ltd./Game Arts Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Chock full of Nintendo fan service and an incredible amount of content, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is extremely hard to resist. Heck, I bought it and I don’t even particularly care for the series. That being said, there’s really not much I can write here that you guys and gals haven’t been gobbling up from the dumping dojo. Feel free to hit me up online for a match though, as you’ll surely enjoy me flailing around helplessly as I yell at the TV in disgust. Sure, you won’t hear me, but rest assured, there will be disgust. - ship

Best Deal:
Toys R Us has a deal for 50% off select Wii games with your purchase of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Circuit City is offering the strategy guide for 50% off with your purchase of the game.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Family Video $46.98 (99 cent shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Circuit City $49.99 (50% off the strategy guide with purchase)
:wii: Purchase At Toys R Us $49.99 (50% off select Wii games with purchase)

DS

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates Dev. Square Enix Pub. Square Enix Systems: DS MSRP: $39.99
Our favorite RPG characters that look like small children make their DS debut in this hyped-up RPG by SquareEnix. The game play is similar to that of the Gamecube version of Crystal Chronicles with the main downfall being the dumbness of the ally AI. The storyline and the adventure mode itself are much deeper than the GC version, and it seems in this respect that the game was worth the wait. There are three modes: single-player, co-op multiplayer (up to four players), and head-to-head multiplayer (up to four players). The main adventure mode is single-player only though; you'll mostly get mini games, separate multi-player quests, and a free mode. However, the frame rate goes way down and playing multi-player requires multiple cards. Overall, this title took what was good from the GC version, made it more in-depth, and aimed it more towards a single-gamer experience. It's a solid title that is worth your money even if it is $40. – mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t appear to be any specific deals for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

Insecticide Dev. Crackpot Entertainment/Creat Studios, Inc. Pub. Gamecock Media Group Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
There's a little bit of combat along with your typical detective-based game play in this creepy-crawly futuristic adventure title. Play as a pair of bug detectives in a futuristic city in which insects are the dominant race. Although this title is mainly a fast-paced action title, the mixed in detective work slows the pace down a little. Don't let the bug-theme fool you: this title is pretty dark and is rated E 10+. The cut scenes are good, and the controls are simplistic but fun. The one noted negative so far has been the darkness of the graphics. Reviewers are reporting that it's difficult to play on an original DS. Overall, this looks like a well-made, original DS title. Look for the PC version to be released sometime in quarter 2. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
EB/GameStop is offering a free art book with the purchase of Insecticide.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.79 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)
:ds: Purchase At EB Games $29.99 (Free art book)

Nanostray 2 Dev. Shin'en Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
The original Nanostray was a bit of a cult hit on the Nintendo DS as one of the few early SHMUP experiences available. Well, if you subscribe to that cult’s newsletter, Nanostray 2 offers more of the same space combat experience with refined controls, more weapon customization, and two player multi-cart co-op and competitive modes. Like the original, you can choose to defeat wave after wave of enemies in Adventure, Arcade, or Challenge Mode, but this sequel ups the difficulty which, along with the increased number of levels, provides for a more lengthy title. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t appear to be any specific deals for Nanostray 2.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $28.84 (99 cent shipping)

PS2

Buzz Jr.: Robo Jam Dev. Magenta Software/FreeStyleGames Pub. Sony Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
Buzz: The Hollywood Quiz Dev. Relentless Software Pub. Sony Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
The Buzz! series is one to love if you're a trivia nut. The graphics are good, the game play is simple, and there are lots of modes to keep you entertained (you can even choose your own buzzer sound). The original title, Buzz! The Mega Quiz got good reviews when it was brought over (with some minor culture references changes) from England. The new star-studded movie/television edition, The Hollywood Quiz, features new clips, photos, and general knowledge questions about a huge variety of Hollywood A and B-listers. The Buzz! Junior Robo Jam title isn't a quiz show title, but is a compilation of 24 mini-games featuring robots. Both titles are available with the four USB Buzz! controllers or game-only. The controllers also work on the PS3. There's also been a Buzz! PSP title announced for this summer. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t appear to be any specific deals on the Buzz games.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shippig)
:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)

El Tigre Dev. Barking Lizards Pub. THQ Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
This PS2 title is based on a Nicktoons cartoon featuring a small boy (Manny Rivera) with superpowers and a costume that looks like a tiger. His father is also a superhero, while is grandfather is a supervillian. Enter conflict. The most interesting thing I can write about this cartoon is that Bruce Campbell voices a character called The Industrialist. No word on if he voiced this character in the game, and even then I wouldn't really want to buy it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t appear to be any specific deals on El Tigre.

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters Dev. High Impact Games Pub. Sony Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Technomites, crazy weapons, and comic quips abound in this PSP title that's been ported to the PS2. The original game got good scores (85/100) on Metacritic, with the majority of the negativity being directed at the camera angles. The positive comments about the storyline, controls, and overall presentation are enough to make this $30 game worth it if you missed it on the PSP. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t appear to be any specific deals on Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters.

Sprint Cars 2: Showdown at Eldora Dev. Big Ant Studios Pub. THQ Systems: PS2 MSRP: $19.99
Race around dirt tracks in dune buggies with spoiler wings that are too big for you to even see bolted to the trunk of a mid-90’s Taurus. But unlike the last go-round where you were on the road to Knoxville (we all remember that one, right?), now you are gunning to make it big at Eldora. Sounds exotic, like a place you’d go searching for lost treasure or something. But you’ll have to forgive me, Sprint Car fanatics, as I am not familiar with that location. Oh, you say that it is the famous Eldora Speedway in New Weston, Ohio? Well, I’ve heard of Ohio. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Sprint Cars 2: Showdown at Eldora.

World Heroes Anthology Dev. Alpha Denshi/SNK Pub. SNK Playmore Systems: PS2 MSRP: $14.99
(Also not known as The History Channel Presents: World Heroes Anthology.) SNK keeps the budget priced collections coming with the only 2D fighting game that pits Joan of Arc versus Rasputin versus Hulk Hogan versus Genghis Kahn versus Joe Montana versus Captain Kidd versus Lu Bu versus Zeus versus Jack the Ripper versus a Nazi robot. Well, you can’t fight them all against each other at once or your television would explode on account of the Wyld Stallyns-esque awesomeness. This anthology collects World Heroes, World Heroes 2, World Heroes Jet, and World Heroes Perfect, so get out there and brush up on 56 of your favorite historical dudes. Oh and… San Dimas High School football rules! - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering World Heroes Anthology for $14 shipped.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $13.99 (Free shipping)

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw Superstar Series Dev. YUKE's Future Media Creators Pub. THQ Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Do you like outdated wrestling games? Sure, who doesn't?! Well, THQ has put a chokehold on three of their older games (Smackdown vs. Raw, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, & Smackdown vs. Raw 2007) and crammed them into one shiny new box. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for WWE Smackdown vs. Raw Superstar Series.

:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

PSP

Flatout: Head On Dev. BugBear Entertainment Pub. Empire Games Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Head On: Apply directly to your forehead. Head On: Apply directly to your forehead. Head On: Apply directly to your forehead. Oh, wait. This is a PSP racing title. My bad. Anyway, this game should be pretty similar to FlatOut and FlatOut 2, only it promises more bone-breaking slaughter. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Flatout: Head On.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Wild ARMs XF Dev. Media Vision Pub. Xseed Games Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
The world's dying and the kingdoms are falling, so it’s up to your hex-battling tactical RPG skills to make things right. Select from and upgrade over thirty different character classes in your attempt to save the day. Follow the adventures of Clarissa and her anime inspired knights as they attempt to reclaim her throne and solve the mystery of both her past and the failing planet. Play your cards right and she just may explain it all. Like why XF is supposed to be pronounced "Cross Fire" according to the official website. Why not just name it "Wild ARMs Cross Fire" then? Regardless, this looks to be worth checking out if you are looking for a strategy RPG with an engaging battle mechanic. - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Wild Arms XF.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $37.25 (99 cent shipping)

PC

Imperium Romanum Dev. Haemimont Games AD Pub. Southpeak Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $39.99
(Deja Preview) This strategy PC title is Sim City meets Caesar. It's also the sequel to Glory of the Roman Empire (also a PC strategy title). As the governor of your own province, you must build bridges, waterways, roads, and barricades. There are several different modes involving goals and historically accurate events and locations. This title is available for direct download from GamersGate for those who don't need the box and disc. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Imperium Romanum.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

Seven Kingdoms: Conquest Dev. Enlight Pub. Dreamcatcher Interactive Systems: PC MSRP: $39.99
A real-time strategy game that chronicles the battles of humans versus demons starting in 3000 B.C. and wrapping up in 3000 A.D. Command the Ancient Egyptians, Greek Gods, Roman Imperialists, and knights of the middle ages… or play as the creatures from the realms of evil. You can even call in famous warriors like Achilles, Hercules, or Ghenghis Kahn, although unlike our other history infused game of the week, there appears to be no Joe Montana. How can humankind expect to win without Joe? - ship

Best Deal:
There don’t seem to be any specific deals for Seven Kingdoms: Conquest.

:pc: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure Systems: Wii (SNES) MSRP: $9
Milon is the little platform character that shots bubbles to kill his enemies. We last talked about him when Milon's Secret Castle got released on the WVC last June. This title is the Japanese SNES sequel to Secret Castle. The SNES title has better level design and looks similar to a Yoshi/Mario title of that era. The downfall is that the game was not translated prior to release, so you'll be deciphering Japanese to follow the storyline.

Sidenote: Ship remembered that Super Mario Bros. 2 started out as a Japanese title Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic and thought this game was somehow related. Here's our Japanese lesson for the day, thanks to Wikipedia: Doki Doki is a Japanese onomatopoeia for a rapidly beating heart and is found in many Japanese video game titles. Insert G.I. Joe NOW YOU KNOW logo. - mrs. ship

Puyo Puyo 2: Tsuu Systems: Wii (Genesis) MSRP: $9
Also learned from Wikipedia: The "tsuu" in the title is just there because it sounds like the English word "two" but is in fact a Japanese word. Originally an arcade puzzle title, the Puyo Puyo games are well known. This title is also not translated, so it's identical to the original version released in Japan. You might recognize this franchise as Puyo Pop or Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. If you're looking for a good puzzle title, this one will do. If you don't mind the Japanese, you should look for Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary at Play-Asia.com, which includes classic Puyo Puyo, Puyo Puyo Tsu, Puyo Pop Fever, and nine other un-lockable modes. It'll cost you about $50 for the Wii, DS, PSP, or PS2 as compared to $9 for the WVC version of just Puyo Puyo Tsu. If you LOVE Puyo Puyo, getting the actual import title is the better way to go. – mrs. ship

Bliss Island Systems: 360 MSRP: $5
Play as Hoshi the Zwooph as you blow air at objects through several different mini-games. This port of a casual PC game (that people seemed to think blew even when they were playing it for free), is all about puffing fruit and fluffy balls at characters or inanimate objects that would like the fruit or fluffy balls. Achieve maximum blowage for only $5. - ship

Brain Challenge Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Looks like someone finally noticed that the Xbox 360 was devoid of any “brain games”. Well, no longer as you can now test your cranial skills in this port of the cell phone/iPod game that borrows more than a few ideas from Brain Training. You’ll get lots of matching things that match, finding things that don’t match, and counting match sticks. The smart money is on me not ever thinking about this game again. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

[quote name='shipwreck']Oops, almost forgot. Our Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Code is: 3136-6284-0129.

Just rolls off the tongue.[/quote]

awesome Shippy, i didn't get my copy yet cuz my local BB didn't have any in stock when i went there yesterday. but i'll send you my code as soon as i get it. :)

So you think Kyle of Hotel Dusk is a jerk but playing as Kratos, the biggest prick in gaming imo, is fine by you. The dude kills a guy for no reason within 30 minutes and then is a dick to two sexy ladies he just banged. Besides, that kid won't move so you can get upstairs.

And it's "Zap a zombie" not shoot a zombie according to Reggie.

Good week for Ghengis Kahn fans. Not such a good week for gamers who want something more than mediocre titles cashing in on fans love.

Did anyone else find it weird when he later goes into a hotel room alone with the 10 year-old? That just felt a bit odd to me! Even if he is a cop.

[quote name='thorbahn3']So you think Kyle of Hotel Dusk is a jerk but playing as Kratos, the biggest prick in gaming imo, is fine by you. The dude kills a guy for no reason within 30 minutes and then is a dick to two sexy ladies he just banged. Besides, that kid won't move so you can get upstairs.[/quote]

Your links seem to have neglected that Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 is also on the Wii. Its supposed to control great.

Edit: Though I guess that is next week.

I just went back and listened to the first few CAG forplay podcasts (I need more podcasts to listen to at work) and I don't know what Cheapy keeps talking about. They're pretty good! It is a little bit funny when you listen back on new releases from a year ago..."Monster Madness is out?! FINALLY!...wait...wait...no..."

[quote name='shipwreck']Oops, almost forgot. Our Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Code is: 3136-6284-0129.

Just rolls off the tongue.[/quote]

HEY SHIP I ADDED YOU MY BRAWL CODE IS ShiN 3351-3691-4427

Hey ship(s),

Added your friend code on SSBB... my info is:
Wii System Code: 6447 4630 8379 8181
Super Smash Brothers Brawl Friend Code: 0473 7455 2154

Thanks!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Did anyone else find it weird when he later goes into a hotel room alone with the 10 year-old? That just felt a bit odd to me! Even if he is a cop.[/QUOTE]

You're going in there to snoop around, not hurt the girl. Anyways, since you're still thinking about Hotel Dusk, you can talk about it here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122370&highlight=hotel+dusk

Sure it's an old game but I think people would still discuss it with ya.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Did anyone else find it weird when he later goes into a hotel room alone with the 10 year-old? That just felt a bit odd to me! Even if he is a cop.[/quote]

HA HA! A true sign of our times... I remember thinking the same thing when watching GREMLINS recently. There's this part where the main character is hanging out with a kid, and the kid is just laying on his bed....

I'm all, :shock:

But try and remember a more innocent time, Mrs. Shipwreck...

A time of unicorns, rainbows, and sunshine! :whee:

This was an awesome show. It felt more like you guys being yourself than doing a show. I have listened from the beginning and this was my fav. show.

:rofl:It only took about 4 minutes to get 1000 gamerpoints in Avatar!? That was just as good, if not better than Mrs. SHipwreck only taking 45 seconds for find a crappy unopened Xbox game.

Another great podcast, I really enjoyed the part where you were unlocking the Avatar achievements!

Also my SSBB friend code is 1504-5356-1555 :D

[quote name='JadedJedi']:rofl:It only took about 4 minutes to get 1000 gamerpoints in Avatar!? That was just as good, if not better than Mrs. SHipwreck only taking 45 seconds for find a crappy unopened Xbox game.[/quote]

Yea my local Blockbuster says it is probably their most rented 360 game. It is also back same-day frequently. And four minutes are you serious? It only took me about 2, ohhh I bet you are counting the boot-up and login time for the 360.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Did anyone else find it weird when he later goes into a hotel room alone with the 10 year-old? That just felt a bit odd to me! Even if he is a cop.[/quote]

I felt a disturbance in the force. :/

A cartoon with Bruce Campbell? Almost makes me want to watch. Almost.

I liked that today's show was longer than usual. And I'm glad to hear that your DRM nightmare is finally over.

Shipwreck, I tried Barnyard Blast, but I wasn't impressed. I love the Castlevania series, but this game felt like a glorified Flash game to me. A shame too, as I was looking forward to it.

Oh, a dollar says that the bug in Insecticide (which is a legitimate term: a poison for insects) is a "lady bug."

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']
Shipwreck, I tried Barnyard Blast, but I wasn't impressed. I love the Castlevania series, but this game felt like a glorified Flash game to me. A shame too, as I was looking forward to it.
[/QUOTE]

I view it as somewhat of a B-title (like a B-movie). I think it's pretty fun, but it's definitely a value game and it knows that with the $20 price. I like it because it just seems to me that the developer was having fun with it and cared about making the game even if their budget was limited. The controls are tight, the difficulty level definitely reminds me of harder NES titles, and it's got a good sense of humor. But like I said in the show, you have to be specifically looking for that type of experience, it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not anywhere close to the level of a Castlevania.

Fun matches tonight Ship, if only there was a little less lag :(

Some silly matches, like one where I was mr game and watch and didn't realize he doesn't fly when he's an octopus and fell down into a pit... whoops

Although wombat never accepted my friend code request, how rude!

Sorry if this has been asked before but enquiring minds need to know.

Since CheapyD is and Wombat is about to be a parent, any plans to add Baby Ship to the family?

I ask because my wife and I have been married 6 years and we get asked all the time when we are going to have a child.

Love the show, have this episode on my Zune and will check it out at work tomorrow.

It actually is not very hard to check what is new on steam. The new releases are on the bottom right of http://www.steampowered.com and there is an rss feed. The only trouble that i see is that the dates don't seem to appear there until the day of release.

Also, MY SBB code: 0259-0033-4918

Good Podcast this week Ships.
And thanks for the link to your wedding picture.
I hope I can marry such an attractive woman as you Mrs. Ship.
And who is a GAMER as well! Gosh what a Plus.

haha, i think you're looking way too much into that, mrs. shipwreck.

and Shippy is judging Kyle before the story has time to evolve. c'mon guys, it's an adventure game and people's personalities grow and become more interesting as you progress. one of the cool things about Hotel Dusk is to find out the underlying motivations for the characters you meet in the hotel. it's one of the best aspects of the game. i'd expect my fellow adventure gamers to understand this! ;)

BTW, 100+ Oblivion saves??? the most i have is 7. holy jeez Shipwrecks!

[quote name='LiK']
BTW, 100+ Oblivion saves??? the most i have is 7. holy jeez Shipwrecks![/quote]

I have like 300 ish on my xbox oblivion game, I had so many that it wouldn't let me make any new ones and I HAD to start overwriting my saves. It was sad cause I like having all different saves :(

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Yea my local Blockbuster says it is probably their most rented 360 game. It is also back same-day frequently. And four minutes are you serious? It only took me about 2, ohhh I bet you are counting the boot-up and login time for the 360.[/quote]

I refuse to rent/play Avatar for that reason - I mean, even my Achievement whoredom has its limits!!! :cool:

HAVE YOU PEOPLE NO PRIDE??? What good is an achievement like that if it only takes you 2 minutes??? :bomb:

"Who cares?! No one will know!" - If anyone is thinking that, I'll say I'm keeping an eye out for Avatar achievements now. You lose respect points for that, baby! :roll:

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not a big M. Night fan (to put it mildly). To hell with Avatar, I say!

Great show, Ships!

My SSBB code is 4983-4663-0450. Look forward to playing with you guys soon (maybe we can get Mrs. Tybee to join in).

Also sent XBL friend requests to each of you, as we are really into Uno (and also need to earn those last two achievements).

Few people catch the subplot about Kyle dropping out of clown college and occasionally putting on balloon animal shows for random children he encounters.

And yeah, stop by the CAG Hotel Dusk thread. It's been hoppin' lately, probably due in part to your recent discussions about the game on the show.

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Sorry if this has been asked before but enquiring minds need to know.

Since CheapyD is and Wombat is about to be a parent, any plans to add Baby Ship to the family?

I ask because my wife and I have been married 6 years and we get asked all the time when we are going to have a child.[/quote]

Tell me about it. Can we just agree as a society to stop asking this question? Because really, there's no good answer. Either the couple is not ready to have kids yet (or, GASP, may not want any), in which case it's very rude to imply that they should have some right now. Or the couple may be in the process of trying (as my wife and I are), has not been successful yet, and feels worse about it due to the insensitive question. The couple could also be in the early stages of pregnancy and may not feel comfortable divulging it yet, be it out of fear of incurring bad luck, a desire to surprise, or a practical understanding of all the things that can go wrong in the first trimester.

The only people that get a pass on this are the inlaws, because they really can't help themselves.

Loved the podcast, I'm sorry to hear the Subspace Emissary didn't work out for you. My wife and I quite enjoy it. I'll post my friend code after I run down to the basement the next time. Thanks for the heads up on Spider-Man Friend or Foe at Target - I went and snagged it. I played the demo a while back and enjoyed it. Co-op FTW!

BTW, I liked the Avatar sound effects and you winning all the achievements, it made a nice little fun section in the podcast. I'm not sure why, just doing something a little different like that seemed really cool. If only I cared about achievements I could have gotten that one too.

Anyway, keep up the good work both of you!

Okay, I have everyone's friend codes added up to this point including those that were PMed to me. Looking forward to losing to you all soon!

Great show shipwrecks. I just ordered Barnyard blast off of Walmart.com with my 10$ smash bros (mess up) gift card. I can't wait for this to come. I have only been listening for about the last 2 months, but you two are wonderful and do an amazing job covering everything. It astonishes me how you are able to preview so many games every week. Keep up the great work!

Shipwreck, here is my friends code for Smash Bros: 2535 3287 8208 (Motz)
I can't wait to brawl!

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Sorry if this has been asked before but enquiring minds need to know.

I ask because my wife and I have been married 6 years and we get asked all the time when we are going to have a child.

Love the show, have this episode on my Zune and will check it out at work tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind the question, and neither does Ship (as far as I know). No, we're not yet trying to have kids. When we do get pregnant, I'll just wait and tell Ship on the show so you'll all get to witness his response. That should get some good feedback! :D

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I don't mind the question, and neither does Ship (as far as I know). No, we're not yet trying to have kids. When we do get pregnant, I'll just wait and tell Ship on the show so you'll all get to witness his response. That should get some good feedback! :D[/QUOTE]

lol mrs. shipwreck = my hero.

I haven't listened to this episode yet (so when I sent you that message about the Avatar I had no idea Ship - I was just using the compare score function on xbox.com at the time and saw that!). But I just did the same thing today. Hey, I have that cheap Target copy that is going to get traded in to Blockbuster (or more likely Gamecrazy) and I figured I couldn't open it without doing that achievement thing just for kicks. My two sons had to do it too. At first I thought it might be a bit tricky, but my 5 year-old had no problem doing it (though he's turning into a pro gamer - just unlocked Jigglypuff in SSBB after my older son couldn't do it).

Though afterwards my older son started playing the Avatar game as it was meant to be played and he seemed to want to keep it, even though he hates the show. Oh well, I have two copies anyway ;).

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I don't mind the question, and neither does Ship (as far as I know). No, we're not yet trying to have kids. When we do get pregnant, I'll just wait and tell Ship on the show so you'll all get to witness his response. That should get some good feedback! :D[/quote]

LMAO! :applause:

You guys should add me in Brawl: 5155-2685-0357

I sucked at the last two games, and I can't imagine I'll be much better at this one. Haven't had much time to try it out yet, I don't think I even understand the controls. It all seems very confusing :whee:So, I am quite certain either of you could kick my butt.

So I listened to this episode (FINALLY!) while at work today, and had a lot of stuff written up, responding to what you guys said, but then we had a power failure and I lost what I'd written, so the only stuff I remember is:

1. mrs. ship, if you want to play Uno on XBLA, let me know! I managed to wonk up my Live account about 6 months ago (I tried to change my billing address but somehow managed to delete my profile or something, I'm still not sure how I did it), so I've lost most of my achievements (and with travel, etc, I've been playing a lot more PSP and DS lately). So PM me or find me on AIM or GTalk...or if I have my XBox on, feel free to send me a message there, I still need the multiplayer achievement(s?) on that one. :)

2. Brawl should be arriving at my door by Thursday, I'll post a code when I get it. I've never played any of the previous iterations of the game, so I'll likely be awful...

3. Great show as usual. Hopefully I get to listen to the next episode in a more timely manner. ;)

/tk

Re: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,

I got this game ($10 at Target) to play with my wife and found it to be infinitely better for 2 players than Marvel Ultimate Alliance. The game may not be stellar (a point I think has more to do with the subject material than design - seriously, who cares about the Fantastic Four??? I'm a huge fan of MARVEL and even I don't care), but the game has its moments.

Specifically, the boss fight against TERRAX in the caves. :bomb::bomb::bomb: You will not find a more infuriating, frustrating battle than that! Seriously, get to the that boss fight and play it together to see how bad it is! HA! It's worth seeing, IMO. :D

Re: Professor Layton,

I heard a lot of talk by the Shipwrecks about this game, so I thought I'd look into it. I went into TRU to take advantage of this week's DS sale, and (wouldn't you know it) they had the game running in one of their demo DS's. I liked it enough to buy it.

But the real reason I got it was for my wife, since Mrs. Shipwreck seemed to like it alright! We're heading to Japan on Fri. and I was looking for extra stuff to do on the 14+ hour flight!

So thanks for that and remember - (Knowing is half the battle?) NO! You guys help sell games!

One quick note you didn't mention: :applause: LEVEL 5. :applause: They're a phenomenal company!!! Dragon Quest 8 (PS2), Rogue Galaxy (PS2), and the recent Jeanne D'Arc (PSP) to name a few! When I saw their name on the box, I knew Professor Layton wouldn't be a bad investment.

I loved the animation in Jeanne D'Arc, and I can see the same subtle touches in Prof. Layton! :D

Hey guys and gals, this week's episode should be up tonight. The written version is complete, we just haven't found a good time to record.

bread's done
Back