The iPod is taking over the world... RUN!

pumbaa

CAGiversary!
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=765

Wow. I mean I've had my iPod since last Christmas and loved ever minute with it. I get back to school for fall... and EVERYONE has one. Its crazy. White earbuds are EVERYWHERE. It seems like everyone traded in their portable CD players for iPods. Anyone else got an iPod? You in love with it like the rest of the world?

Actually, this is an intreresting development for Apple. For my generation (I'm 19) Apple is the iPod's maker 1st and a computer developer 2nd. I think this is going to up Apple's marketshare eventually, kids that have an iPod (and like it) will realize that the maker of this cool MP3 player make cool computers. I know I'm looking for an iBook as my next computer. Whats everyone think?

I don't have an IPOD, nor do I really want one. I don't like Apple's computers, so I won't buy one of those.

Otherwise I think IPOD is cool, but I don't really need or want one at the moment.

Mac user for 10 years now. Would never go back to Windows!

Had my iPod for 2 years now and never regretted the money spent on it. Just about time to upgrade to the new Photo iPod!

Well, it can't stay on top forever. If there is money to be made in any market there is sure to be competition that wants to jump in with copy cat products.

[quote name='opportunity777']I don't have an IPOD, nor do I really want one. I don't like Apple's computers, so I won't buy one of those.

Otherwise I think IPOD is cool, but I don't really need or want one at the moment.[/quote]

I agree with you. I don't really care for apples computers either!

Long, long-time Apple user. I would never go back...I have to use a PC at work and that's more than enough exposure. I got an iPod the week they were initially released, almost 3 years ago. I have an hour train ride to and from work and it was dreary before I got the iPod. Of all the gadgetry I own it is easily the most used and most vital.

I've got a 1st gen Windows ipod and I really love it......however, I will be buying a Delphi MyFi portable XM player in a few days (as soon as Best Buy starts stocking them). I'll still use my ipod while I'm at the gym but the XM player will replace my ipod during the day.....CNBC on the go>>>having all my cd's in the palm of my hand.

I keep wanting to buy one...but i have a PPC with plenty of space...i can do the same damn thing. They have some really good advertising.

On a side note, money and features wise, id buy a dell jukebox

I've got an iMac and love it. Wouldn't trade it for Windows crap.

I want an iPod, but don't really have the money to get one. Once I get a job though...

Yeah I see them everywhere, especially since I'm on a college campus. I use my own headphones, so I don't give myself away. I hate those puny white circles.

I'm a fan of big headphones, and this is hanging in my room.

Lisa.jpg

I had an iPod for 5 minutes. My wife got it for me for my birthday but we had to return it because we don't have windows xp so we had no way to use it. I want one eventually I guess...

I prefer iRivers myself, but I've seen iPods all over campus. Kind of makes me chuckle since the iRiver is pretty much seen as a superior player (check the reviews) yet everybody seems to have iPods...

[quote name='beerguy961']I prefer iRivers myself, but I've seen iPods all over campus. Kind of makes me chuckle since the iRiver is pretty much seen as a superior player (check the reviews) yet everybody seems to have iPods...[/quote]

Name recognition goes a long way.

I'm a lifetime mac user, and proud owner of an iPod! Sadly, I proudly own a 5 GB iPod, but that's okay with me because I hope to somehow get an Archos Gmini soon for movies on the go. :)

very true, ever since i started university last fall i've noticed that almost every second person has an ipod. it's insane, sometimes while walking from class to class i actually count how many people i c on my way with ipods and the numbers can b pretty large sometimes. personally i dont have an ipod, and although im looking for an mp3 player im not really shooting for an ipod cause its way too expensive for me but then i dont get the whole obsession with them anyway. its just like a regular mp3 player with a wheel thing.

Isn't the iPod almost completely unknown in much of the world? I've heard that's it's almost impossible to find an iPod in Japan.

ipod is great. the look and interface is ahead of its time. also the integration with itunes is seamless and painless. i have not owned any of the competitor devices but have researched them and can say that ipod is the best hdd music device.

I had an iPod. The 10 gig 3rd generation. It SUCKED. The battery life was beyond mediocre, and I had it replaced. The 4th generations aren't much better. Currently I use the iRiver iHP120. It's battery life is elite, however, it's not as easy to navigate through songs as the iPod is. The iRiver is just the better player. Not opinion. Compare specs and research it yourself.

I don't have an ipod, nor do I plan on purchasing one. I will wait a few more years when prices begin to drop, and probably buy a superior player.

I love my iPOD more than I even love my EZ Pass... It goes everywhere with me and makes my life better. Thank you Apple, thank you music, and thank you ears.

[quote name='Marines920']The iRiver is just the better player. Not opinion. Compare specs and research it yourself.[/quote]

Uhh, dude, not disagreeing or agreeing with your argument, but that IS opinion, and nothing but. If you ask ME, the iPod is the best thing going...but that too is an opinion.

[quote name='beerguy961']I prefer iRivers myself, but I've seen iPods all over campus. Kind of makes me chuckle since the iRiver is pretty much seen as a superior player (check the reviews) yet everybody seems to have iPods...[/quote]

I agree! The Iriver blows the ipod out of the water in every aspect. Plus it looks alot cooler.

The main reason I am looking at the iPod is that I use both a mac and a pc. The iPod looks to be the only real option if you are on both platforms.

The iRiver and Sony are pc-only I believe.

I think Apple makes strong computers, but the iPod is pretencious and over priced for what it does.

I bought a Rio karma 20 gig for 50 bucks less than the 10 gig iPod at the time and never regreted my purchase.

i considered a number of mp3 players as i waited a long time to get one, and i ended up getting a used 3rd gen 10GB ipod. i love it, i use it nearly everyday, and i know the battery life isnt that great but it gets me by fine cause i always remember to plug it into my computer when i get back to it. the biggest reason i got one though is because my comp is kinda weird as it only has usb 1.0 but it also has integrated firewire, and my SB audigy2 has firewire as well, and since it would take like days to trasfer all those files via usb 1.0, i went with the firewire choice. plus i really like itunes, much more than i thought i would. if the newer mp3 players that are not ipods supported firewire (like sony's or creative's) i would consider selling the ipod and buying one of those, but i dont think any of them do.

Lemme put my whole 2 cents into the iPod vs. everything else debate.

I completely understand why someone would want a Creative Zen or an iRiver. They may have more features in a similarly size package, but that in no way makes them "better" players. I would consider myself a gadget freak and I'll tell you why I stick with Apple. SIMPLICITY. iTunes and iPod can not be simpler. The interface for the iPod is elegant and simple. I've used other MP3 players, and although they come close... that iPod interface is simply unbeatable. The majority of reviews that I've seen deinfitly give the edge to iPod (besides gear.ign.com).

I've been using my MP3 CD player for years now, I've been thinking about getting a MP3 player but I want something with an ass load of capacity out the box, I've got over 30 gigs of audio on my PC and would love to have it with me when I'm travling, but there to expensive for me at the moment.

I love MAC's, I've been a Windows user since 3.1 and I loathe windows. If it wasn't for the fact that I game heavly on my PC I would jump on a MAC in a second, I love working on my graphic art projects on a G5. Linux is my only alternative at the moment, and theres only so much I can do with Linux.

I've only seen like 4 other people on campus with iPods. I always have mine though, in fact, my Bus. Writing teacher calls me... "iPod man". Yeah, I'm a devil with the ladies. Haha!

But seriously, I don't see it as widespread at all. I see more people with laptops, for example.

[quote name='cruster'][quote name='Marines920']The iRiver is just the better player. Not opinion. Compare specs and research it yourself.[/quote]

Uhh, dude, not disagreeing or agreeing with your argument, but that IS opinion, and nothing but. If you ask ME, the iPod is the best thing going...but that too is an opinion.[/quote]

Uhh.. I said research the specs yourself.

iRiver has a more powerful battery.
iRiver has a more customizable equalizer.
iRiver has a built in FM tuner.
iRiver has a built in microphone.
iRiver has more battery saving options.
etc...etc...etc...

That's fact.

Opinion would be. ...

BLACK IS COOLER THAN THE WHITE iPODS!!!
iRIVER MAKES THE BEST SHIZNIT EVER!
Apple employees are satan's minions!!!!

I'm not against the iPod, I've owned one. From my experience, the iRiver has been a sturdier and more solid investment than the iPod.

I was thinking about getting an Ipod, but I dont get to use my Best Buy employee discount on them. But, I could get a 30 Gig Creative Labs Zen player for $180. It is a bit bigger in size, but I decided a little more weight in my pocket was worth saving like $100. I love mine though, I've used mine like every day for the past 3 months or so.

iPod's are a fad. I just picked an IRIVER over an ipod. I mean, first of all irivers give you MORE for LESS than the ipod. It's a flashplayer so there's no harddrive like ipod, which means---no skipping--because it has no moving parts (like ipods harddrive). Also it's super small. Why the hell would anyone want that dull, boring, big, flat, white piece of junk...IF NOT just trying to "fit in" as to what is believed to be cool at the moment?

I chose to get a Dell DJ instead of the IPod. Dell had them on sale for $129.99 last month so for a little over half the price of an IPod Mini I got an MP3 player with almost 4 times the storage space.

I got a dell DJ and it's great. My sister has an ipod I got for her from my school and they are cool. But my dell Dj is essentially the same thing.

And sooner or later Apple will have to start selling the thing cheaper. There are only so many uprages you can do the player before it becomes a pocket PC.

And with all the Apple fans stating their love for macs I'm shocked no one has gone off on some rant on how Macs suck.

I don't think I will ever get an IPod, I just wouldn't use it enough to make it worth all that money. I can use PSP for an mp3 player when it comes out if I care enough to get music on it.

[quote name='whoknows']I don't think I will ever get an IPod, I just wouldn't use it enough to make it worth all that money. I can use PSP for an mp3 player when it comes out if I care enough to get music on it.[/quote]

Especially since you can get an extra 128MB card for only $15.

Believe it or not, you don't need 40GB, "mpeg layer-3 compression" (mp3) makes file sizes very small.

bread's done
Back