* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

#3751 Ironman8   Nuka-Cola drinker CAGiversary!   988 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

Glad the book thread has risen from the death of April 2014. I like the idea of reading on a regular basis. The problem is life gets in the way. Working full time+ hours and having small children means free time is limited. When I do get that free time I have so many other entertainment options books fall to the bottom of the list. Games, movies, TV, internet and countless outdoor activities take up the majority of my free time. The majority of my reading is magazine's and internet sites. I used to read a lot of books on my lunch break when I would have to take an hour at a time. I no longer have that long break and instead take that hour broken up throughout the day. Lack of reading time rant over.

Revisited Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy (4 books) recently and had a great time with it. His writing style is very entertaining and humorous to me. I highly recommend this series to any sci fi fan with a sense of humor.

Have a few other books I might read first but I want to tackle the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I read book 1 The Gunslinger years ago and really enjoyed it. Anybody here that has read the series and can recommend wether they all are as good as the first? Is it worth reading all the books?

Ironman8 CAG picture gallery. 

101 FREE Shutterfly 4x6 prints for new members.  Double the usual amount.  HERE.

Ironman8 Free Code Giveaway

#3752 NeedleInTheHay   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   712 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

NeedleInTheHay

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

#3753 Ironman8   Nuka-Cola drinker CAGiversary!   988 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Any good? Wikipedia says he has written 54 novels and over 200 short stories. If I get motivated enough someday I'll post a pic of all my King books. He wrote a novel about the JFK assassination ( 11/22/63 ) and a time traveller who tries to prevent the assassination. Sounds interesting and out of his comfort zone.

Ironman8 CAG picture gallery. 

101 FREE Shutterfly 4x6 prints for new members.  Double the usual amount.  HERE.

Ironman8 Free Code Giveaway

#3754 NeedleInTheHay   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   712 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

NeedleInTheHay

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

Yeah i'm about 80 pages in and i'm enjoying it so far. 

#3755 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15291 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

Any good? Wikipedia says he has written 54 novels and over 200 short stories. If I get motivated enough someday I'll post a pic of all my King books. He wrote a novel about the JFK assassination ( 11/22/63 ) and a time traveller who tries to prevent the assassination. Sounds interesting and out of his comfort zone.

I have this in my book-backlog, will hopefully get to it soon.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#3756 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15291 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:09 AM

Finished reading Daniel Suarez' Daemon. Not ready to pass judgement until I read Freedomâ„¢. I like the tech, theory; characters not so much.

about.me/wsb

#3757 samaside  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

I highly recommend Pierce Brown's Red Rising and Golden Son. I know it might seem like some stereotypical YA series at first glance and that's how they originally marketed it until people realized it was a pretty solid science fiction series. It's now categorized as an adult science fiction series and the first book was #3 on Entertainment Weekly's 2014 Must List. It's pretty great.

I'm a youth library assistant so that's pretty much the only adult recommendation I have. :P

#3758 Nifty_Shark   Still not The Guy CAGiversary!   976 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Nifty_Shark

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

I finished "Still Life with Woodpecker" a few weeks back. I liked it but I feel like it would have meant more to me around high school or just out of high school

#3759 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   5290 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

61901.jpg

Another Miles Vorskorigan novel. Book equivalent of comfort food.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3760 Bleu_Skie   Tabula Rascal CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Bleu_Skie

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

I read a good amount, just nothing particularly good lately. Last good thing I read was "City at the End of Time" by Greg Bear. I re-read things more often these days. Paradise War trilogy by Stephen Lawhead most recently.

Bleu_Skie.png

#3761 samaside  

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:47 PM

I just started Tigerman by Nick Harkaway today. So far so good!

#3762 randamin  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

Been wanting a Kindle keyboard since knowing of the free web browsing but missed out on the Target clearance. Recently found one at a pawn shop in a like-new condition for $10 which encouraged me to read the few free kindle books that I have downloaded over time. and out of those the one that caught my attention enough to progress more is Ravage: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel. The web browser is not really that good but in a pinch could log into GV and check my messages though FB does not open even though it is one of the built-in bookmarks.

#3763 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15291 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Been wanting a Kindle keyboard since knowing of the free web browsing but missed out on the Target clearance. Recently found one at a pawn shop in a like-new condition for $10 which encouraged me to read the few free kindle books that I have downloaded over time. and out of those the one that caught my attention enough to progress more is Ravage: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel. The web browser is not really that good but in a pinch could log into GV and check my messages though FB does not open even though it is one of the built-in bookmarks.

Free web browsing?  Wha?

about.me/wsb

#3764 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   41764 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

Free web browsing?  Wha?

Old Kindle units, the ones with the keyboard and built-in 3G modem have free web browsing, though it's Lynx-class browsing.  Quick email here and there and that's about it.

#3765 Bleu_Skie   Tabula Rascal CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Bleu_Skie

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

Old Kindle units, the ones with the keyboard and built-in 3G modem have free web browsing, though it's Lynx-class browsing.  Quick email here and there and that's about it.

That's neat. I don't do the digital book thing, but cool. 403 books on my shelf and counting.

Bleu_Skie.png

#3766 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15291 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:54 PM

I just went digging around in the settings and discovered this.  I had no idea.

about.me/wsb

#3767 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   41764 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

I just went digging around in the settings and discovered this.  I had no idea.

Again, it's hardly anything spectacular, though it works in a pinch.

#3768 Lacey Cameron  

Lacey Cameron

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:40 PM

I am currently reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. Actually, this is my second time to read it. And it is still as exciting as the first one.

#3769 samaside  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

I wasn't too impressed with Tigerman but I only made it about a third of the way through so I'll probably give it a shot again later.

Currently reading the new Zodiac Legacy book, the first in a middle grade series that Stan Lee "wrote" along with another author. The dialogue is terrible but so far it's a pretty standard middle grade action book. It's also freakin' gorgeous. The cover design, page design, and illustrations are awesome. It's a good looking book if nothing else.

#3770 Lacey Cameron  

Lacey Cameron

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

Since the movie is out I'm currently reading/reviewing Fifty Shades of Grey.

#3771 samaside  

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

I just finished Star Wars: Jedi Academy - The Phantom Bully by Jeffrey Brown. I'm not going to lie, they are adorable freakin' books. I got the first two from my 2014 Reddit Graphic Novel exchange match and so I picked up an ARC of the third one online from Scholastic. It was great. Super cute.

Next up is In Another World, Maybe which looks like it's going to be good.