In The Groove + 2 pads 19.99

darkslime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
i am going back to my corner and sulking over the fact that itg3 will never see the light of day...not over Konami's dead body, anyways.

Ok - I haven't played a dance game since ultramix 1 on xbox but really enjoyed it. I have a ps3 and the spiffy pelican brand adapter thats so sought after. My question is how is itg compared to ddr - would I enjoy it if my skill level on the dance mat isn't so great - or a little rusty at the least? And will it work on a 60gb ps3 with that adapter? I realize only one pad will work with the adapter - I'll have to get a second one if the wifey decides to join in.

[quote name='bordjon']Ok - I haven't played a dance game since ultramix 1 on xbox but really enjoyed it. I have a ps3 and the spiffy pelican brand adapter thats so sought after. My question is how is itg compared to ddr - would I enjoy it if my skill level on the dance mat isn't so great - or a little rusty at the least? And will it work on a 60gb ps3 with that adapter? I realize only one pad will work with the adapter - I'll have to get a second one if the wifey decides to join in.[/QUOTE]

In many ways, ITG is better than DDR, since it calculates scores better etc. Been a while since I played it, but I remember thinking to myself it's awesome compared to DDR, and I'm a fairly hardcore DDR player, with 2x Cobalt Flux pads in my basement. I remember the battle modes being particularly fun, with lots of options/weird stuff that happens during songs. Good stuff.

I have ITG and IMHO, the only way to play this game is from an HDD using HD Loader. The load times are pretty abominable when played from DVD, so much so that I stopped playing it for quite some time (until I "downgraded" to a fat PS2 and installed an HDD). When played from HDD the game is quite playable with short load times. I'd be curious to know if the load times from DVD are any better on a backward compatible PS3. I suspect not. Having said that, I don't like ITG as much as pretty much any of my DDR games. The music just isn't that good. There are some good tracks, but there is a lot of mediocre stuff. Of course that is a matter of taste, so YMMV.

Right now my highest recommendation would go to getting the Japanese version of DDR Supernova 2. It is really fantastic and much better than the US release. If you have an HDD and HD Loader you can play Japanese games via that method, plus you get the much faster load times from HDD, which is especially nice with dance games.

EDIT: I looked into this bundle and though these are Red Octane pads, they aren't the "Ignition" pads, rather a flat soft pad, like Konami's pack-ins. However, for that type of pad apparently these are quite good, so this bundle is definitely worthwhile.

Got this for my girlfriend, as she's into the DDR games when she's back home, but hasn't wanted to invest in a set-up for our place. At this price, now all I need to do is find a few of the DDR mixes cheap. Anybody know where one might manage that?

I was always a fan of DDR...and not very big on ITG.

Still, that's a darn good price. If I didn't already own it, I would make the purchase.

[quote name='neonglow']I just bought this. Can someone tell me which DDR games on PS2 are worth buying?[/quote]

This. I left the scene for awhile, and don't know between repeat songs and such, which mixes are the most essential. Anyone?

[quote name='contej85']This. I left the scene for awhile, and don't know between repeat songs and such, which mixes are the most essential. Anyone?[/quote]

DDR Extreme 2
DDR MAX
DDR MAX 2

Those are the best on the console, in that order. (IMO, of course, but many people seem to like those the best as well.)

[quote name='djkunai']Did someone say... Dukamok?[/quote]

I just Googled that guy, and holy crap. Did he get famous just for that "DukAmok playing Reach's Air on Pad" video? That's really impressive.

Anyway, In the Groove arrived yesterday, and I'm quite surprised at the difficulty compared to DDR. If it wasn't for the mines and hands, I'm sure it would be much easier. I should probably try turning those off.

I've been playing DDR for at least five years (I started really playing right after DDRMAX came out on PS2), and I would definitely consider myself to be, at the very least, really, really good. But In the Groove is much harder than any DDR I've played.

Oh, and Rig's ranking of U.S. DDRs is pretty much spot-on. Extreme 2 is fantastic. I haven't played Supernova 1 nor 2.

Also, can anyone recommend a particular metal pad (besides Cobalt Flux). My Ignition 2.0 is closing in on its last breath.

[quote name='whoknows']Does it work on PS3?

Probably not, but I thought I'd ask[/quote]

PS2 only, they will not work on the PS3 at all. There are no converters either.

[quote name='djkunai']Did someone say... Dukamok?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, a good idea. Tons of other good players though, except it all happened in 2006 :(

I would say the best are Max, Extreme 2, and Supernova as far as console versions. Supernova has 6 10 footers, which is awesome.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I would say the best are Max, Extreme 2, and Supernova as far as console versions. Supernova has 6 10 footers, which is awesome.[/quote]
If you like 10+ footers, then you'll definitely like In The Groove. Almost every song has a stepchart that's 9-13 foot, and I think at least half of the songs are 10-13 footers. (Only 1 13 and like 5 12s)

[quote name='m3talst0rm']I got one as well. I hope the pads are decent, I needed a ps2 ddr type game for my basement.[/quote]

They aren't, unfortunately. The game, however, is probably worth the money without the pads. The pads will be adequate with some mods.

The pads aren't very good to use as is, but their quality seems to be good enough to use them with some basic mods. My main complaints were:
1) The dead space in the middle is too small. It's not a big problem in normal DDR, but it's quite tricky to avoid the mines in ITG.
2) You can't feel where the arrows are with your feet, so it's easy to get offset from the correct position.

By the way, you can dump the song files off of the In The Groove disc and play them on Stepmania on your PC if you want. The process is a bit complicated though.

[quote name='crumrin114']The pads aren't very good to use as is, but their quality seems to be good enough to use them with some basic mods. My main complaints were:
1) The dead space in the middle is too small. It's not a big problem in normal DDR, but it's quite tricky to avoid the mines in ITG.
2) You can't feel where the arrows are with your feet, so it's easy to get offset from the correct position.

By the way, you can dump the song files off of the In The Groove disc and play them on Stepmania on your PC if you want. The process is a bit complicated though.[/quote]

I'll probably just turn off mines. Seriously, I just want what is essentially a more difficult DDR, and In the Groove without mines pretty much fits that need.

[quote name='Battousai1002']If you like 10+ footers, then you'll definitely like In The Groove. Almost every song has a stepchart that's 9-13 foot, and I think at least half of the songs are 10-13 footers. (Only 1 13 and like 5 12s)[/quote]
Oh, trust me, I know how hard ITG/2 is. I only play it once a year when I go to Chicago, but I know how hard it is. So far I've beaten:

Destiny
Energizer
Delirium
Infection
Hardcore Symphony
Go 60 Go

And I'm pretty sure I can beat all of the 10s and 11s (except maybe for Monolith).

Damn, that's impressive. Energizer looks insanely tiring. Same with Destiny. I've only beaten a handful of 11's (robotix, charlene, the beginning, utopia...and that's probably it) and most of the 10's, but I beat them all without using a bar. I've never learned how to really use the bar; I feel like I'm leaning back too far when I try. I don't really play at the arcades all that much, anymore, though. Too expensive and too far away. Mainly go to my friend's house and play on his ps2/metal pads, but bar isn't an option there.

I already have the Universal DDR pad they sell at Gamestops.
Would these be better? and worth the price?

I guess it wouldnt matter. I could always use an extra one to play as 2 controllers, yeah?
I just wanna know how bad they are, and what these "mods" are you speak of.
Maybe provide a link so we can make the pad better with these mods?

Oh, and I don't need the game, I use an HDD, so yeah. Take the game out of this all when you verify if this is a good / bad deal for me, since I wont be using it

[quote name='darkcecil32']Damn, that's impressive. Energizer looks insanely tiring. Same with Destiny. I've only beaten a handful of 11's (robotix, charlene, the beginning, utopia...and that's probably it) and most of the 10's, but I beat them all without using a bar. I've never learned how to really use the bar; I feel like I'm leaning back too far when I try. I don't really play at the arcades all that much, anymore, though. Too expensive and too far away. Mainly go to my friend's house and play on his ps2/metal pads, but bar isn't an option there.[/quote]
Bars are pretty much necessary for beating the really hard stuff. However, my weakness is my inability to play on my heels. I only play toes, which makes beating those songs extremely tough. I only have DDR in the arcades here in ND, and none of those songs really require playing flatfooted.

Also, Energizer and The Beginning are very fun. Very tiring, but fun. The Delirium hell run on the toes is a bitc too.

bread's done
Back