CAG Infraction System Now Active (Beta/Trial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
We are now implementing an infraction system which will allow Moderators to flag a users posts if they are violating the rules. This will send a PM to the user informing him/her of the violation and a link to this post.

Different violations carry different point values. When a user reaches a certain number of points, they will either be Silenced (unable to post), Temporarily Banned, or Permanently banned.

The point on your record will expire after a certain length of time, but the expiration times are cumulative if you receive multiple infractions during the same time period. Moderators may choose to issue a warning which will still notify the user of the violation, but will not carry any point value.

Here is a list of the current infractions, the point values they carry, and the expiration time.

Posted in Wrong Forum - 0 points - 7 Days
Signature Too Large - 1 point - 14 Days
Multiple Trade Lists - 1 point - 1 Month
Trolling / Disruptive Posts - 1 point - 1 Month
Facilitating Game Piracy - 1 point - 1 Month
Spamming / Self-Promotion - 2 points - 1 Month
Personal Attacks / Harassment - 2 points - 1 Month
Inappropriate Content - 2 points - 1 Month

Here is list of punishments, the numbers of points required to receive that punishment, and the length of the punishment.

Silenced (can't post) - 3 Points - 1 Day(s)
Silenced (can't post) - 4 - Points - 2 Day(s)
Silenced (can't post) - 5 - Points - 3 Day(s)
Temporarily Banned - 6 - Points - 5 Day(s)
Temporarily Banned - 7 - Points - 10 Day(s)
Temporarily Banned - 8 - Points - 3 Week(s)
Permanently Banned - 9 - Points - Permanent

We are currently testing this system. It may require some tweaking or may just not work as we have planned. Hopefully this will help make the CAG forums a more pleasant place to hang out.

I look forward to seeing enforcement of the trolling/disruptive posts infraction.

I volunteer to patrol the Nintendo forum with extreme prejudice.

Crap. Time to become a mod and become immune to the rules!

No, seriously, it's a good system and I look forward to it being in effect.

$4.99 Xbox 360 Bootleg games- If you don't buy them you're an idiot.

Just kidding;

I think the system is long overdue. My one concern- is there an appeal system, in case a single mod gets overexcited? The old checks and balances...

Will your point total/status be visible to all?

Edit: Maybe consider changing the 'post in wrong forum' number to one; otherwise a combination of zeros will never result in a penalty.

Will there be a scoreboard, similar to the Xbox Live leaderboard? Because that would kickass.

As far as "Facilitating Piracy", do you just mean the act of aiding others in how to pirate, as in links and tutorials?

Someone admitting to piracy is okay?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wouldnt the piracy thing also include torrent site invites?[/QUOTE]

Not technically, but we all know better.

But, I'm guessing it would also have to involve music, tv shows, movies, and not just games to be fair.

[quote name='zewone']
But, I'm guessing it would also have to involve music, tv shows, movies, and not just games to be fair.[/QUOTE]
I would assume its the basic stuff where we just can't share links and the like. I don't think it would be a problem to say "oh I downloaded that album/movie yesterday" since Cheapy openly talks on the podcast how he downloads HD movies off torrent sites. I think the problem would be to say "Hey guys here's the link to where I got it ....".

In the movie thread, everyone also openly says they saw movies that aren't in theatres and aren't out on DVD yet. And all anime fans are downloading something for sure :lol:

Theres also the occasional R4 thread that pops up around and it doesn't take long for it to go sour even when users are discussing homebrew. To be honest though there are other places to discuss those things.

Is there any way a mod can actually mark a post that they gave demerits for? I'm curious/worried as to how strict they are going to be and I wouldn't mind examples.

Does the PM let the user know which mod flagged the post? If so, I hope they like dealing with people whining in PM. Just give them them five points for questioning your decision and wasting time. :twoguns:

Good idea in theory. We'll have to see how it plays out in practice.

Puts a lot of onus on the mods to be checking posts, and a lot of onus on the users to report posts. May make some Inboxes explode with all the "report post" emails.

The implementation of the silencing feature should be nice, which I assume that it works like the ultra-ignore used previously, where people can't see the posts of people that are "silenced"? If it was like before, doesn't it have the issue where the "silenced" person's posts aren't visible to anyone except them, though they still cause threads to be bumped up as if posted to?

Im looking forward to this.
So, we keep reporting posts as we see fit..and it's the mod that gives the points?
So, essentially the people who got away with stuff before will continue to do so? :whistle2:k

[quote name='zewone']Will there be a scoreboard, similar to the Xbox Live leaderboard? Because that would kickass.[/QUOTE]Yes, yes it would.

The only good thing I see coming out of this is finally getting that torrent site invite thread that attracts a bunch of mooches from Google in the PC forum shut down.

I dont see anywhere on that list "bumping too often" or .
Thats a serious problem in the trading forums. - Unless you like seeing the same few people on the first page 24/7.

This should be set up like a game .
If you catch someone , you get the points added to your 'score' .

So everyone will have a positive and possibly negative score .

That will make it closer to 100% co-operation .

Also is there a way to tell if a post has been reported ?
I'd imagine there could be multiple reortings of the same post .

[quote name='Richlough']Also is there a way to tell if a post has been reported ?
I'd imagine there could be multiple reortings of the same post .[/quote]

What makes reporting now any different than it used to be? The only difference is now posts are given points for infractions instead of it being at a mod's discretion what punishment should be given.

Of course, now they use their discretion as to what deserves points and what doesn't, but that's beside the point.

[quote name='Richlough']This should be set up like a game .
If you catch someone , you get the points added to your 'score' .

So everyone will have a positive and possibly negative score .[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you're kidding.

[quote name='Rocko']What makes reporting now any different than it used to be? The only difference is now posts are given points for infractions instead of it being at a mod's discretion what punishment should be given.

Of course, now they use their discretion as to what deserves points and what doesn't, but that's beside the point.[/QUOTE]

The only difference now is with the points system, it's easier to keep track of a constant offender.

Let's say Mod A sees $$$$$$ being a troll in a thread. Knocks him some points.
Then, the next day Mod B notices $$$$$$ acting like a douche in a different thread and this really knocks him some points.

In the old system, Mod B could have thought he was a first time offender, but now that the forum can keep track of tools, it'll make it easier for constant douches to get in trouble.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']
Will your point total/status be visible to all?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zewone']Will there be a scoreboard, similar to the Xbox Live leaderboard? Because that would kickass.[/QUOTE]

No. Punishments are still a private matter between the user and the moderation staff. The only public notice will be the custom titles that appear below a user's name.

As far as "Facilitating Piracy", do you just mean the act of aiding others in how to pirate, as in links and tutorials?

Someone admitting to piracy is okay?

We've been having some discussions on this and a final decision is forthcoming.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Wouldnt the piracy thing also include torrent site invites?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does. This is most likely going bye bye.

[quote name='Jobbercho']Does the PM let the user know which mod flagged the post?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

If so, I hope they like dealing with people whining in PM.

That already happens. This new system won't change that in anyway.

[quote name='shrike4242']May make some Inboxes explode with all the "report post" emails. [/QUOTE]

Outlook Inbox Rules are my friend. :D

[quote name='CouRageouS']That jerk $$$$$$ has already been in trouble twice. BAN![/quote]

For insulting $$$$$$$ thats a warning and 1 pt, plus 6 demerits and now you are on double secret probation

[quote name='Richlough']
Also is there a way to tell if a post has been reported ?
I'd imagine there could be multiple reortings of the same post .[/QUOTE]

The reporting tool isn't integrated into the infraction system. The only way to see if a post has been reported multiple times is to look through our e-mail inbox.

That being said, we do have the ability to see if a specific post has been flagged for an infraction. Only one infraction can be given per post so you don't have to worry about getting multiple points from different mods regarding the same post.

Now, if you go on a tirade and start posting bullshit all over the place, all bets are off and your ass is ours. But that is a different scenario of course.

[quote name='Wyatt']I've seen this utilized well in other forums. Here's hoping it has the same effect here![/quote]

Let me say it again:

Sort of sounds like GameFAQs and Karma...

And yet everyone will love it. The irony.

Anyway, it is a good idea.

Also, didn't some people leave GameFAQs due to moderations? Lets hope that the mods here don't go power hungry, like the mods over there.

I don't see how it's like GameFAQs.

Don't you have to gain points at GayFAQs so you can search forums and do other things like post more than 10 times a day and make threads?

[quote name='zewone']Don't you have to gain points at GayFAQs so you can search forums and do other things like post more than 10 times a day and make threads?[/quote]

I've always wondered why there wasn't a "Search" button on any forums there. I don't regularly lurk there, just sometimes I tried looking in the forum for an answer to a question I had about a game.

Regarding "Facilitating Piracy"
[quote name='daphatty']
We've been having some discussions on this and a final decision is forthcoming.
[/quote]

I do hope we're informed as to the official policy once it's final.

[quote name='help1']Let me say it again:

Sort of sounds like GameFAQs and Karma...

And yet everyone will love it. The irony.

Anyway, it is a good idea.

Also, didn't some people leave GameFAQs due to moderations? Lets hope that the mods here don't go power hungry, like the mods over there.[/quote]

The forum I was referring to wasn't GameFAQs or even a gaming forum. It used an infraction system similar or identical to this one, and it worked totally fine. I'm not a GameFAQs user but I'm pretty sure it's different than the karma system.

Does the piracy/bootlegging extend to the wrestling thread (i.e. posting uploads of matches and such)?

Sounds like a good system all around.

Can someone do a search of jollydwarf's posts in the Wii forum only? Where I sit, nearly every post he makes there has an inflammatory/trolling theme, frequently making reference to 'zealots'.

[quote name='daphatty']No. Punishments are still a private matter between the user and the moderation staff. The only public notice will be the custom titles that appear below a user's name.[/QUOTE]I don't like this. The system isn't incorporated into vBulletin (as far as I can tell), so who keeps track of the points, and what's to keep them from abusing the system?

There needs to be transparency.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I don't like this. The system isn't incorporated into vBulletin (as far as I can tell), so who keeps track of the points, and what's to keep them from abusing the system?[/quote] Yes, it is built into the core of vBulletin. All the point totals are kept in the database and the punishments are applied automatically when the thresholds are met.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Can someone do a search of jollydwarf's posts in the Wii forum only? Where I sit, nearly every post he makes there has an inflammatory/trolling theme, frequently making reference to 'zealots'.[/quote]

Oh jeez quit crying.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Where I sit, nearly every post he makes there has an inflammatory/trolling theme, frequently making reference to 'zealots'.[/quote]Totally my fault there. Jollydwarf's been pissed ever since I did a 9gate 10gate cheese rush on Lost Temple.

[quote name='CheapyD']Yes, it is built into the core of vBulletin. All the point totals are kept in the database and the punishments are applied automatically when the thresholds are met.[/QUOTE]

Oh, alright.

Is there any way for us to know how many points we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back