Changes to gamestop.com (stop your gs bashing!!!)

We are excited to bring “Power to the Players” with a new version of GameStop.com, coming within the next few weeks. We incorporated as many of your ideas as possible into this upcoming release and sincerely appreciate all your great suggestions. There’s more to come! We hope you enjoy the new site features and look forward to your feedback.

Gift Giving:
  • Buy and redeem gift cards online.
    (Okay, okay. So, we’re a little late on this one. Wait! We’ll trade you our pet rock for a mood ring.)
  • Buy and redeem online-only gift certificates.
    (For those last minute "OMG, I forgot it was Graphics Designer Day" gifts.)
  • Check Gift Card or Edge Card balances online.
    (Tip: We just learned you can use this feature to keep an accountant entertained for hours.)
  • Wish list with registry functionality.
    (When Aunt Edna just won’t come through.)
  • Send a gift message with any order.
    (We like to order games for ourselves and attach mushy love notes. Try it. Works wonders for self-esteem.)
Multi-Channel:
  • Pre-order select products online and pick them up in-store.
    (Save the whales by reducing cardboard consumption. Do your part.)
  • Redeem Edge Card credits online.
    (You can score Edge Card credits by trading in used games to our brick and mortar stores.)
  • Enhanced store product availability feature.
    (Enter your Zip code once and see the three closest stores with in-stock product on every product page. Very handy if you decide to take a road trip to snag a rare copy of Mule.)
  • Enhanced navigation to show products that may be available in store, but are not available online.
    (Proving once again that we have the World’s Largest Selection of Gaming Products. We mean it. Stop counting. Really.)
Loyalty:
  • Receive Edge Card member discounts online.
    (Save 10% off used products and strategy guides!)
  • Stackable coupon option.
    (This allows your Edge Card member discount to stack with other offers. How generous of us!)
Research:
  • Dedicated “Back of Box” image section for top products.
    (We decided against “bottom-edge of box” shots, but it was a close vote.)
  • “Quick-jump” option on product page.
    (For those too lazy to scroll. You know who you are...)
  • Important ordering information repeated in search results listings.
    (If you select “add to cart” from search you’ll now know in advance that the next shipment of Wii’s is actually scheduled for 2059.)
Really Cool, but Difficult to Categorize Feature:
  • Automated promotional code distribution.
    (Receive beta and promotional codes via email immediately instead of when we get around to it. Codes will also be stored in your online order history.)
Serve Thyself:
  • Self-service order cancellation.
    (This is especially useful when you place a pre-order and a collector’s edition becomes available the following day. Good thing that never happens…)
  • Self-service credit card expiration updates.
    (Very handy when pre-ordering Blizzard products several years before they “Get it just right.”)
  • Self-service shipping service level changes.
    (Changed your mind about overnighting that copy of Chicken Hunter? This feature is for you.)
Social:
  • “Was this customer review helpful?” option.
    (Proof positive that dissing your friends and family can be fun.)
  • Discussion forum for every product.
    (You’ve waited 10 years for us to allow “This games sucks!” to be posted. Go ahead. Try it. Get it out of your system.)
  • Higher standards for customer reviews. 750 character minimum, with focus on features and benefits of product.
    (See if you’re the next Hemingway. Although didn’t he use fewer words?)
  • Featured Reviews.
    (Now we can select a favorite customer review for every product and force you to read it. Gaze into our eyes. You are getting very sleepy. You are losing your free will. You are getting out your credit card. You are soooo tired. You love to shop online.)
  • Unique ratings categories within customer reviews.
    (Now you can rate shooters by responsiveness, graphics, weapons selection and possibly even giblet splatter velocity.)
  • Aggregated customer reviews, by user.
    (Useful if you want to see how someone who reviewed Barbie: Fun & Games feels about Halo 3.)
  • Ability to enter expanded profile information such as favorite systems, genre categories and flavors of ice cream.
    (We prefer strawberry.)
  • “Display” names secured by profile registration.
    (On your mark. Get set. Go!)
Boring, but Useful E-Commerce Features:
  • Address book functionality.
    (Avoid carpal tunnel syndrome by saving your favorite shipping addresses.)
  • Ability to send different shipping groups to different addresses.
    (Ever wanted to send a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV to Folsom State Prison? Now you can.)
  • Ability to select different shipping service levels for different shipping groups.
    (Now you can send a pre-order overnight, but send a “Usually Ships Within 24 Hours” item via snail mail. Thrifty, huh?)
  • Dynamic shipping service level options.
    (We’ll only show you options you can use at your chosen delivery address, so you don’t accidentally pay to ship your order to Kazakhstan.)
  • Store recently used credit card numbers in your profile.
    (Plus enhanced security to ensure that only you get to enjoy online shopping sprees.)
  • Expanded help section and more contextual help throughout the site. (Help. In case you need somebody. Not just anybody. In case you need someone.)
  • Address validation during checkout.
    (Verifies that your address is within the shipping carrier’s system and gives you a chance to correct it.)
  • Shipping and handling rate table available on Shopping Cart page.
    (No more sneaky, last minute, $10,000 shipping charges. We’ll miss those.)
Warlocks:
  • Removed “pet” ability.

Online redemption of gift cards.. FINALLY!

Edge card "credits"?

Sounds like they're turning into GameFAQs with the option to buy games as well. Meh. Too little too late for me. It's good to see some effort, though.

I'm really excited about the Edge card features. Funny how EB had that on their site years ago and GS is only now catching up.

All that stuff in parentheses smells of them trying too hard to be my friend. I hate things like that. Well....I just got up to input / output fluids. Good morn to ye.

tracking edge card balance online is freaking sweet. it sucks that on the receipt it says your account number and your balance. if that receipt were to fall into the wrong hands you would be completely screwed

[quote name='Stoneage']All that stuff in parentheses smells of them trying too hard to be my friend. I hate things like that. Well....I just got up to input / output fluids. Good morn to ye.[/quote]

Hey, I love when corporations want to be my friend instead of just my money ;) I'll start buying from them again when I can go to their store and get a new game that hasn't been opened first.

Now, if they would only change the prices of backordered last-last-gen stuff(PS1/Dreamcast/N64) to reflect the 75% off clearance prices that are available in their stores, so I could exploit that trick someone found to try and order backordered stuff and rebuy myself a copy of Silent Hill and maybe my first copy of Intelligent Qube.

I loved when Kmart did that on their site, with the clearance prices, but they learned quickly that people would just snap up the cheap shit and leave the rest.

Good effort on their part, now if they can only stop charging Ebay-ish prices for some games AND promised and delivered case/manual/artwork/great condition with every game you buy, they might be a tolerable store/site to buy from and not just someplace where I dump off my dead or dying systems and peripherals for their near worthless credit.

I miss Tradestop.com, which prevented me from having to waste innumerable minutes going into the Gamestop stores, only to find out their meager values.

It figures though, the ONLY good part about their site and they yank it. But, that's because they figure if you drag your stuff in to try and trade to them, they'll simply be able to get you to trade them in with no real arguments because you're already there.

Sounds like its just going back to the way ebgames.com worked with the codes and edge card working together. Other than that nothing special. Call me when the morning update is back and used games are guaranteed with case and manual again.

i have to admit if i can now stack my edge card with Cag16 and free shipping i may return my business to them.. that method got me huge amounts of games for way cheaper then i can now.. its a new day if this actually goes down. is this on their site now?

Most certainly not enough to get people to stop bashing, but certainly some nice changes and additions there. I like the fact that they are addressing their poor distribution of beta and promotional codes. I've been burned a few times by them in the past.

EDIT: Just noticed the Edge Card credits. Another good reason go trade games into them, when they have a quality bonus offer.

It'd be nice if they implimented a feature to allow you to know if a game is complete or missing the manual, or what.

These updates are mostly things that should've been there ages ago but I'm glad you can use the EDGE card online now.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Sounds like its just going back to the way ebgames.com worked with the codes and edge card working together. Other than that nothing special. Call me when the morning update is back and used games are guaranteed with case and manual again.[/quote]

Yeah, all these "improvements" sound ok, but who gives a damn if most of the games they send are still in poor condition and/or disc-only?

I won't pay any attention to GS until they raise their standards or can at least let you know what you're really ordering.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Still no guaranteed manual/case.[/QUOTE]

yep. also, no trade-in values posted online. I'm guessing they don't put those up to prevent competition from seeing.

Great changes all around though!

I'm also wondering if they'll allow for EDGE card and a discount code... seeing as how they only allow one now.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']I'm also wondering if they'll allow for EDGE card and a discount code... seeing as how they only allow one now.:whistle2:k[/quote]They should make it so that you hang your EDGE # off your account, and then you'd put the discount code in there like normal. Should combine the two.

I wonder how much they pay the guy that comes up wiht the witty comments in their e-mails. aparently not enough...

[quote name='Sinnbox']I wonder how much they pay the guy that comes up wiht the witty comments in their e-mails. aparently not enough...[/quote]
I know they probably do that to seem like a hip/cool/in company, but to me it seems a bit unprofessional.

Ill stick with Amazon.com where most of the time games arent FULL MSRP .... dont pay sales tax (CA 7.75%) and i get free shipping

Ill stick with Amazon.com where most of the time games arent FULL MSRP

In all fairness, most games on Amazon are at their MSRP or a few dollars below that, especially when they first come out. They do a lot of price-matching of current sales, though, which is nice.

I don't generally buy new stuff from GS.com, but I do pre-order when they have the free overnight shipping. Can't beat coming home from work and finding your new release waiting for you.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']In all fairness, most games on Amazon are at their MSRP or a few dollars below that, especially when they first come out. They do a lot of price-matching of current sales, though, which is nice.

I don't generally buy new stuff from GS.com, but I do pre-order when they have the free overnight shipping. Can't beat coming home from work and finding your new release waiting for you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only time I buy new stuff from GS (B&M or online) is if they have a exclusive item or preorder bonus.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, between the witty mid-week newsletter and the laugh-out-loud blurbs in this update...damn...what a future that guy has in comedy...[/quote]

It would be cool, if the store employees were witty, but they all act like they are at a funeral....except for one store close to here that is run by gays...ya they are way to friendly....

[quote name='Apossum']yep. also, no trade-in values posted online. I'm guessing they don't put those up to prevent competition from seeing.
[/quote]More like, to prevent the customer from seeing. Hell, from what I read on here, there are a large number of stores that won't even give values out over the phone anymore. There's a lot of psychological "sunken cost" processes at play if they can convince you to lug your old games into the store. In other words, if you've already gone through the trouble of bringing them to the store, you feel that you "might as well" sell them, no matter what they offer. Don't think this is by accident on their part, and one of the many many reasons I hate this corporation. It's subtle, but very evil.

[quote name='onikage']Yeah, all these "improvements" sound ok, but who gives a damn if most of the games they send are still in poor condition and/or disc-only?

I won't pay any attention to GS until they raise their standards or can at least let you know what you're really ordering.[/quote] What he said.

Keep in mind that MOST of the used games sold on GS.com (in my experience) are refurbished, noted by the big R on the back of the label. In other words, at one point the game was so fucked up that it was deemed unsaleable in its current state, even by G'stoppo standards. Will a resurfacing fix that? Maybe, maybe not.

However, I will admit, if AFF25+Edge+Free ship stacks....... I may have to bite. Until then, the secondspin 20% off+free ship is win. At least I know I'll (most likely) be getting a complete product.

So we're supposed to get excited about a shitty ass company becoming slightly less shitty? They're still the same giant turd just with a few less peanuts and pieces of corn stuck in it!

Almost every other retailer has had on-line GC redemptions for years now.

[quote name='Chitown021']Quote removed. - DP[/quote]

I don't see how anyone was getting "excited" about it. Still, these are changes a lot of people have been asking for, plus some other surprising stuff, like the Edge credit, so this is still a good thing.

[quote name='Sinnbox']It's great to see a Multi-Million dollar company get some tech that cameout years ago..."tear"[/quote]Try billion. Did you see their sales reports a few days ago? $7 billion last year.

[quote name='cranguy']Try billion. Did you see their sales reports a few days ago? $7 billion last year.[/quote]

Did you say...billion?

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg

[quote name='cranguy']Try billion. Did you see their sales reports a few days ago? $7 billion last year.[/quote]

Gamestop or the gaming industry as a whole was worth $7 Billion last year?

[quote name='Chitown021']Gamestop or the gaming industry as a whole was worth $7 Billion last year?[/quote]

GS raked in $7 billion in revenue last year.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Did you say...billion?

medium_dr_evil_1.jpg
[/quote]In addition to game stores, Gamestop Corp. owns cable companies in 38 states, a steel mill in Cleveland, shipping in Texas, oil refineries in Seattle, and a factory in Chicago that makes miniature models........ of factories.

I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Gamestop to 2005.

This is too little, too late. It will take a lot more than bringing their website into the modern era for them to earn my business again.

It's like somebody at GS.com found an archival backup of EBGames.com from five years ago!

I'm still not gonna bite cos they dont guarantee complete used games, but this is still nice.

If your already inclined to use their site this does make it better. But I doubt it's gonna lure many ebgames and morning update people back.

bread's done
Back