GH3 or Rock Band

Darklighter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I've decided to send my Wii version of GH3 back for the $132 refund after the neglect Activision is giving it. I would like something to replace it for my PS3, but I cannot decide between picking up Guitar Hero again or going for Rock Band. Anyone have both and can say which is the better choice? Is the single player and online play for rock band as good as it is for guitar hero? It's not like I have a party every night. And rock band only comes with one guitar, correct? I would need to buy a bass controller on top of that...

If you consistently have other people to play with, Rock Band is one of the most engrossing and entertaining multiplayer gaming experiences on any console this generation. You'll have to buy another controller for bass, as you've stated, but they can go for pretty cheap depending on where you get it and the maker of the peripheral.

That being said, Guitar Hero III is also a fantastic game. It's not as fun to play with other people as Rock Band is, but the co-op modes and some of the multiplayer modes are still really good. The single player guitar playing is better than Rock Band because there is a lot of "band" driven songs in Rock Band and more guitar focused songs in Guitar Hero. But when you factor in the fact that you also get a bass career mode and a drumming career mode, Rock Band would probably be my pick in this situation.

If you would mostly be playing by yourself, I would probably go GH3.

But considering how you already owned GH3, Rock Band is great also.

I would probably go with Rock Band, since you already owned GH3. However, keep in mind that it's not as magical playing solo, and is also way easier than GH3. If you're a seasoned GH vet, you'll probably breeze through Rock Band.

[quote name='Darklighter']I've decided to send my Wii version of GH3 back for the $132 refund after the neglect Activision is giving it. I would like something to replace it for my PS3, but I cannot decide between picking up Guitar Hero again or going for Rock Band. Anyone have both and can say which is the better choice? Is the single player and online play for rock band as good as it is for guitar hero? It's not like I have a party every night. And rock band only comes with one guitar, correct? I would need to buy a bass controller on top of that...[/quote]Get Guitar Hero 3....for
iconxbox360.gif
(because its better)

Rock Band...Harmonix seems much more devoted to DLC and updates than Activision with GH. The DLC on Rock Band is incredible.

[quote name='dim2192']Get Guitar Hero 3....for
iconxbox360.gif
(because its better)[/quote]

not be rude but this a ps3 forum not the xbox and...
there both th fuckin same get, and he asked ab it for ps3

now dont get gh3 i own both and gh3 aint as guud as rock band, rock band is soooo amazing deff buy

I would have to say Rock Band. I own Rock Band and have played Guitar Hero 3. I sometimes get bored with just playing guitar on GH, but on Rock Band you can just plug in the Drums or mic and keeep on rocking. Personally, I find the challenge of playing drums a lot more fun that anything else. Also, multiplayer way, way, way better on Rock Band, and it seems that the DLC for Rock Band just keeps on coming.

Rock Band- the latest DLC have proven that this game will destroy GH. The one bad thing is you won't really be able to play guitar on the PS3 version, because the strat is just beyond horrible. If you aren't an expert player then disregard the previous comment.

[quote name='TripleH13']Rock Band- the latest DLC have proven that this game will destroy GH. The one bad thing is you won't really be able to play guitar on the PS3 version, because the strat is just beyond horrible. If you aren't an expert player then disregard the previous comment.[/quote]

wat r u talkin ab the strum is not horrible, its ment to be played with thumb and pointer or middle finger, strumin it up and down, its not ment to be strum hard like the gh3

the guitar works just fine if u know wat ur doing

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']wat r u talkin ab the strum is not horrible, its ment to be played with thumb and pointer or middle finger, strumin it up and down, its not ment to be strum hard like the gh3

the guitar works just fine if u know wat ur doing[/QUOTE]:rofl:

I have GH3 for PS3 and have been eyeing rock band for a while. My only problem is where to store all of the equipment when I'm not playing, I dont have enough room as it is in my house. How easy is it to break down/set up. I'd probably only break it out when friends come over or when new DLC came out.

The only thing that needs breaking down is the drum set, and it breaks down and sets up fairly quickly once you've done it a few times. Whenever I'm not using my drum set, I just take it apart and prop it up behind my TV. It doesn't take up much more room than the Rock Band/Guitar Hero 3 guitars when it has been taken apart and propped up against a wall.

[quote name='notorious_pip']The only thing that needs breaking down is the drum set, and it breaks down and sets up fairly quickly once you've done it a few times. Whenever I'm not using my drum set, I just take it apart and prop it up behind my TV. It doesn't take up much more room than the Rock Band/Guitar Hero 3 guitars when it has been taken apart and propped up against a wall.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

My only other concern is if I will ever be able to use my PS3 GH3 guitar. Has there been any word from either side on this issue?

[quote name='blackjaw']Thanks!

My only other concern is if I will ever be able to use my PS3 GH3 guitar. Has there been any word from either side on this issue?[/quote]

saddlly no =/ harmonix r trying to get a patch out but activison wants alot of money for it

I had GH3 for then gave it to my sister and her family after I picked up Rockband. It is just so much better, more variety and you can customize your character, not to mention the DLC.

I have both, and play much more rock band then guitar hero. I bought it thinking I would have people come over to play with, but so far I only play alone. :cry:

that being said, I would still recommend rock band over guitar hero, doesnt really matter if you play alone or with people. just means you are more prepared should you have people come to play with :lol:

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']saddlly no =/ harmonix r trying to get a patch out but activison wants alot of money for it[/QUOTE]

Thats what I had heard last, so I guess there are no new developments on that front....oh well.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll be purchasing Rock Band.

What is it that is so wrong with the rock band guitars by the way? I have heard quite a few complaints about them.

I have both for the PS3, I prefer RB for all the positives mentioned. But especially for the awesome DLC (cheaper per song, too).

What's wrong with the guitar? Nothing to me at least. The RB guitar is pretty solid, probably built a bit better, and it might be slightly longer than the GH3 controller. Also, there are two sets of strum buttons (one is closer to the bottom of the neck, for bass I assume). I think people complain that the RB guitar isn't as audibly responsive (less clicky buttons and strum). But if you've never played GH that much before, I think you can get used to it, and even learn to enjoy the quieter controller.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I have both for the PS3, I prefer RB for all the positives mentioned. But especially for the awesome DLC (cheaper per song, too).

What's wrong with the guitar? Nothing to me at least. The RB guitar is pretty solid, probably built a bit better, and it might be slightly longer than the GH3 controller. Also, there are two sets of strum buttons (one is closer to the bottom of the neck, for bass I assume). I think people complain that the RB guitar isn't as audibly responsive (less clicky buttons and strum). But if you've never played GH that much before, I think you can get used to it, and even learn to enjoy the quieter controller.[/quote]

The bottom set of buttons are for use in solos and the ending jam sessions on some songs. They allow you to just press the buttons without strumming. I agree with what you said about the guitar though. It is a bit bigger and there is a lack of clicking, but I like it better than my guitar hero guitars.

[quote name='thespamofpower']The bottom set of buttons are for use in solos and the ending jam sessions on some songs. They allow you to just press the buttons without strumming. I agree with what you said about the guitar though. It is a bit bigger and there is a lack of clicking, but I like it better than my guitar hero guitars.[/quote]

Thanks for that info. Did you find that in the manual? (should crack that open one of these days :D)

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Thanks for that info. Did you find that in the manual? (should crack that open one of these days :D)[/quote]

nah, i think i got it from one of the previews from last year's E3 or something, but i'd assume its in there too. :)

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']not be rude but this a ps3 forum not the xbox and...
there both th fuckin same get, and he asked ab it for ps3

now dont get gh3 i own both and gh3 aint as guud as rock band, rock band is soooo amazing deff buy[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']wat r u talkin ab the strum is not horrible, its ment to be played with thumb and pointer or middle finger, strumin it up and down, its not ment to be strum hard like the gh3

the guitar works just fine if u know wat ur doing[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Crimson_Raven25']saddlly no =/ harmonix r trying to get a patch out but activison wants alot of money for it[/QUOTE]

It fucking BUUUURNS!

[quote name='infamyRISE']It fucking BUUUURNS![/quote]

No joke. There should be an undercover task force that crashes through your window and steals your keyboard if you commit too many atrocious grammatical errors on a forum. It just makes me cringe to look at it.

In other news, I have both games and the ONLY times I ever play GH3 anymore are when I want to play Through the Fire and Flames or Knights of Cydonia. It's just maddeningly hard and I just don't like most of the other songs at all. Rock Band, on the other hand, got a sweet 6-song Boston pack this week and Harmonix is supporting the HELL out of it. As soon as my Muse pack arrives GH3 might get relegated to my shelf forever.

Rock Band is superior on every level. Ive finished GH2 and 3 on the 360 and playing Rock Band now, no contest, Rock Band is the way better game (and way better songs, the Cowbell song is in it!!!). Finishing Guitar Hero felt like work at times, the songs were really crappy here and there. Rock band is shockingly good as far as music selection.

[quote name='Darklighter']Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I'll be purchasing Rock Band.

What is it that is so wrong with the rock band guitars by the way? I have heard quite a few complaints about them.[/quote]

The Stratocaster I got with my bundle just wasn't sensitive enough to hit all the notes on a lot of expert songs. It's pretty much fine on anything below expert, though, and the sensitivity has been known to vary quite a bit between one guitar and the next. I personally use one Les Paul and one Xplorer from the Guitar Hero bundles and think they work a lot better, but other people have been happy with the Strat. It's all about preference and (to a degree) skill level when deciding whether the Strat is good for you or not. I sold mine for $50, which defrayed the cost of the bundle somewhat.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Finishing Guitar Hero felt like work at times...[/QUOTE]

+1

I've never realized this is how it felt to play the game until you said it

[quote name='TahoeMax']The Stratocaster I got with my bundle just wasn't sensitive enough to hit all the notes on a lot of expert songs. It's pretty much fine on anything below expert, though, and the sensitivity has been known to vary quite a bit between one guitar and the next. I personally use one Les Paul and one Xplorer from the Guitar Hero bundles and think they work a lot better, but other people have been happy with the Strat. It's all about preference and (to a degree) skill level when deciding whether the Strat is good for you or not. I sold mine for $50, which defrayed the cost of the bundle somewhat.[/QUOTE]

? I thought we couldn't use GH guitars w/ rock band though....

well at this point my game only copy of rockband i picked up yesterday on sale is a karaoke machine until they put out a PS3 GHIII guitar patch. or a third party guitar finally comes out (yuck to spending more money!) BOOOO ACTIVISION!

No doubt you've got to go with Rock Band. You've got three options as far as instruments, at least three new songs are being made available each week for download, and next month there are plenty of options for a second guitar (if you really need to get one). I play Rock Band online regularly and enjoy it quite a bit.

EDIT:
I just noticed you said you were getting RB, which is a great choice. I do not have a problem with the Strats. I preferred the GH SGs/Les Pauls at first because I had been using them for a year, but I grew to like the Strat much more than the Gibsons. I like that the guitar strummer doesn't click on the Strats and the neck is thiner, making it easier to hold. I believe most of the compliants are coming from hardcore GH fanboys, there were some legitimate issues with earlier versions of the guitar, but they should be fixed by now if you are unlucky enough to have one of the problem guitars.

[quote name='metrognome']well at this point my game only copy of rockband i picked up yesterday on sale is a karaoke machine until they put out a PS3 GHIII guitar patch. or a third party guitar finally comes out (yuck to spending more money!) BOOOO ACTIVISION![/quote]

You really need the SE version (it comes with instruments). If you haven't opened the copy you bought, return it. If you did open it, get the SE version and return the game that came in the SE version box to where you bought it originally. IIRC, it is a sealed version just as you would buy off a store shelf. Yes, it costs more, but it's what, ~$50-60 more than GH3 and has 3 times the usability?

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']You really need the SE version (it comes with instruments). If you haven't opened the copy you bought, return it. If you did open it, get the SE version and return the game that came in the SE version box to where you bought it originally. IIRC, it is a sealed version just as you would buy off a store shelf. Yes, it costs more, but it's what, ~$50-60 more than GH3 and has 3 times the usability?[/quote]

Thing is I 1) I already opened it and 2) I don't have the room in my tiny apartment that I live in with my girlfriend to have those drums nor the desire really. I mostly picked up the game because of the superior song selection and downloadable content. If all goes well the patch will eventually get worked out or the third pary guitars will hit.

It was delivered two days ago and this game is WAYYYY better than Guitar Hero.

That being said, the guitar did feel a little funky at first, but I'm used to it now.
The drums are defective. I have to plug/unplug them for about 10 minutes straight before the system recognizes them. EA is sending a replacement.

The selection of DLC is awesome. And I can't wait for the Portal song! XD

Thank all of you for the advice. This game will be getting a lot of use. :)

Rockband is generally more fun and more versatile -- its actually 4 games in one (since you can play with guitar, bass, drums, or vocals). It has a massive song list and the set lists in the campaign modes are a lot of fun; the single-player campaign is fairly linear but the Band World Tour mode is a lot more flexible.

Plus, the downloadable content makes it --
At least using the prices on XBL as a barometer, songs are roughly a dollar less each. Combined with the fact that there are four ways to play each song, and content is available every week...its pure bliss, and, as a CAG, an outstanding value.

anyone recommend RB w/ guitar only? I've played GHIII on my 360 owned it, but went over to PS3.. so now I kind of want to try rock band, but don't know if I want the drums. b/c I can get the game alone on goozex and then just get the guitar?

[quote name='aznguyen316']anyone recommend RB w/ guitar only? I've played GHIII on my 360 owned it, but went over to PS3.. so now I kind of want to try rock band, but don't know if I want the drums. b/c I can get the game alone on goozex and then just get the guitar?[/quote]

I'd recommend getting RB for the 360 if you still have your GHIII guitar.

quick Q.. I got Rock Band game only and just wanted to check out some of the music and gameplay via controller. I'm waiting on a 3rd party TAC guitar or nyko to play the guitar modes.. anyway I can't go into any of the solo modes b/c it needs a mic. My Q is, will I need a MIC in the future if I just buy a guitar to play those modes? It's all I really care about now and plan on getting the PS2 GH's later b/c I've already played those on my 360. Anyway let me know guys! I heard that you just need ONE of the instruments.. but if I get a 3rd party, will that count?

You don't have to a have a mic to access the actual gameplay portion. The game is asking for a mic because you are using the PS3 controller. The game is programmed such that the controller is paired with the mic as the mic has no buttons of its own.

Depending on which device you use (guitar, drum, or PS3 controller) to navigate the menus, the game will allow you to play that instrument during the various songs. Once you get your guitar, stop using the controller to navigate the game, instead use the buttons on your guitar.

ok, i've been holding out on buying the RB bundle because i really only wanted the guitar and singing for Rock Band (ya i know the drums are cool, but i only want the guitar/singing). i now see Nyko has the Frontman out for the PS3 that works with Rock Band and GH3. i'm close to pulling the trigger on the Frontman and then buying the game and a usb microphone. it would also come in handy of being able to grab GH3 as well.

however, i have a question about the microphone. i rented Rock Band and just ran through the singing, using my mics i have with the PS2 SingStar games. those mics work great except they don't work at all as a tambourine. does only the official RB mics work for a tambourine? if not, anyone got a good mic they can recommend? only way i got the tambourine to work with my SingStar mics is being speaking into them.....kinda crappy.

bread's done
Back