My Gamestop is going to hell real, real fast...

loserboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
What used to be a store with a couple of friendly, chatty, laid back employees has suddenly been overrun by a horde of uptight, overly formal, unbelievably unfriendly corporate types.

They're completely reorganizing my store. All the NES,Genesis, Dreamcast stuff is gone. There are no more used accessories anywhere.

I had the guy behind the counter price a couple of guides for me that were on the shelf marked at $14.99...the Arc the Lad guide...well...

"We can't sell this, it's garbage."

Me: What do you mean it's garbage? Is it pennied out?

Him: Yeah, we can't sell them. We're not allowed to.

Me: A lot of stores sell them, Best Buy sells them.

Him: Headquarters (or whatever he said) doesn't allow us to sell them, they need to be destroyed.

So instead of getting Five Arc the Lad guides...they are going to be destroyed (or pilfered by the demon spawn taking over the store).

It's a little disheartening. What had been an enjoyable experience is turning into a gross, yucky one.

Oh well, just thought I'd vent. I'll probably add more to this post later, I'll go back this afternoon and have them scan a few more guides for me.

The Arc the Lad guide? That huge, hardbound, beautiful work of art from WD? So they're going to DESTROY them? Um, okay....
Ah, corporate. I'm not against big-business per se, but *stupid* big business....
If you're going to destroy something anyway, stick an el-cheapo tag on it and sell it to whoever buys it. I know, it can't be 'written off' then....
And, yes, if it's to be destroyed, and an employee takes it, that's technically stealing and probably tax fraud too, if you wanted to get technical.

[quote name='Theenternal']raid their garbage for booty!!

arrrr!![/quote]

Oh, so you're supporting piracy now?

;)

[quote name='donssword']Stop shopping there and you won't have to witness the corporate sponsored raping of your beloved hobby.[/quote]

It probably won't make a difference, but if you take this path, make sure you either go there one more time, or call/write Corp HQ, and tell them why you're no longer going to be their customer. Of course don't be rude, but sometimes--*sometimes*--the voice of the consumer can make a difference.

When I was in retail, I was always of the opinion that, Hey, I'll sell anything [legal] that my customers want to buy. A, that shows I'm reacting to their wants, and B, well, I'm selling stuff, which is money for me and my store.

[quote name='"dtcarson"'][quote name='donssword']B, well, I'm selling stuff, which is money for me and my store.[/quote]

And it's odd, cuz you'd think they'd be willing to sell those guides for even that purpose alone.

Well, luckily it was NOT the hardbound guide..it was the PS2 Arc the Lad Guide...still something I've wanted but was unwilling to pay $14.99 for.

Through the years I've spent a fortune at this particular gamestop, I've helped the employees getting one of their children into the daycare center I work at, picking up singles for them at the Osco and I NEVER asked for their employee discount.

I was friendly, they reciprocated. Now there are a bunch of unfamiliar, unfriendly faces. I tested it again.

I just walked over there with my 3 year old son who is as cute as shit. We walked into the store...and there was nothing. Not a hello. We perused the various sections of the store with my son pointing out Spongebob and Homer Simpson. Nothing.

I might just have to write corporate and tell them that I'd rather have friendly disorganized people running my store than gestapo trained Uber employees.

It's really upsetting me...way too much for a 37 year old man.

I've definitely noticed the same kind of cahnge in my local (what used to be FUNCOLAND) Gamestop...

New faces...and the service and courtesy sucks....They've also become quite picky lately about which used games they'll buy or trade back....

There's just too many choices of places to get games....I don't need to frequent them.....

the opposite happened for me, the guys at babbages used to be real assholes
but now they got some new guys who are alot nicer, all the used stuff is still there

that's so lame that they would trash the guides and not give them to you. At least they should keep them and give them to people who do pre-orders. I know how they are total pre-order whores, so I'm guessing any help they could use to get their pre-order numbers up would be used.

The Gamestop in Manhattan that I used to go to was horrible. I would go in looking for cheap games/guides only. When I was done, I'd have about 5 games and maybe one or two guides. They used to ask me all kinds of stupid questions hinting at that I was going ot re-sell them. I wasn't like I had a bunch of the same titles, they were all different. It got to the point where when I would go in, this one guy that was most annoying to me would watch me as if he wanted to see what games I looked at. Talk about paranoid. I just stopped going in there - no cheap game is worth that.

Just yesterday I went to both Gamestop and FuncoLand in my area and in both stores, as soon as I walked in, I got a very friendly hello and within minutes, I was asked if I needed help. I bought a few cheap games and a bunch of used strategy guides for $1.99 each and no one questioned me. As a matter of fact, at FuncoLand, the guy showed me a cheap PC game that I had missed and told me about the game and then asked if I had a Dreamcast. I said no and he said too bad because all their Dreamcast games are 30% off because they are trying ot get rid of all of them. I was very impressed.

So, I guess it's not fair to label the whole company. It really depends on the individual store.

Thats's a real shame to hear. Lucky for me, I've got one of the best Gamestops I've ever seen near me. The staff is super nice and beyond knowledgeable. I mean, I thought I knew a lot about gaming but this guy Troy puts me to shame. They always give good advice on games and keep their inventory up to date constantly. If you're ever in Ventura, California, go check them out.

My local Gamestop gives out guides when they've been zeroed out. But alot of it is stuff you don't want...i mean...what would I do with like 12 copies of SW: Bounty Hunter guide book?

The Gamestops around here went to hell real fast too. Before, they were a Funcoland/EB, but now they are both Gamestops... and the EB always sucked, but at least the Funcoland was decent. Now they both blow.

[quote name='dr_evil99']New faces...and the service and courtesy sucks....They've also become quite picky lately about which used games they'll buy or trade back....
[/quote]

God forbid a store be picky about a trade in. What do you expect? At least they are trying to put some quality control into the used games. They accept trade ins based on the market. I don't think GameStop needs 50 used copies of RTX Red Rock.

I don't have a problem with picky trade-ins. I have a problem with a sales staff that is full of poop.

I went back to the Gamestop again (3rd time today), actually I was going to Dunkin Donuts across the street and the Gamestop is right there. I peeked in and actually saw a friendly and familiar face. I had to go in and find out what the farg was going on.

So I go in and get some details. They're rearranging the store and there's a lot of outside pressure on this location. Not ony was the district manager there when I had stopped in earlier, but the regional manager was there as well. Yipes. However it was neither of them that had given me the "We need to destroy these..." spiel. That was another employee after the two big managers had left.

I found out that the manager they hired to run this store is...well...not familiar with games. He spent some time as a manager of Hollywood video and then a retail store and now they're bringing him in to run a videogame store. Typical corporate mentality.

I asked the familiar, friendly face why the frock he wasn't the manager. Why did they bring in someone with no videogame experience who does not know how to smile or relate to geeks such as myself? I also asked him about the penny guides. (He knows how much money I sink into their coffers) He said he'd look into it.

So, though my gamestop seems to be on a collsion course with disaster, perhaps the corporate folks who seem to be more concerned with regimen and phony little "Hi,Welcome to Gamestop" greetings will realize that they should promote the people who 1) know about videogames, 2) have worked at the same store for more than a week, and 3) are geared towards being friendly towards customers.

Oh well...later.

I've never held out much hope for Gamestop when you look at the store locations. There is a area near me where there are 3 Gamestops within 500 feet of each other. One has been there since funcoland days, the other opened near a Target, and the other next to a Barnes and Noble.

To top that, in another area not even 30 minutes from there, there is a gamestop in a mall.. and another gamestop right across the street from it.

How can these people plan such horrible distributions and not expect to canabalize each other's sales?

[quote name='JSweeney']I've never held out much hope for Gamestop when you look at the store locations. There is a area near me where there are 3 Gamestops within 500 feet of each other. One has been there since funcoland days, the other opened near a Target, and the other next to a Barnes and Noble.

To top that, in another area not even 30 minutes from there, there is a gamestop in a mall.. and another gamestop right across the street from it.

How can these people plan such horrible distributions and not expect to canabalize each other's sales?[/quote]

Wow, thats just about the same distribution in my town. Theres a GameStop thats been around since Funcoland with a GameCrazy across the street. Theres also a Gamestop in the same complex as a Target. But my last GameStop is next to a supermarket, not the mall. They have been opening GS's like crazy this past year. They have the most stores by far.

Consider yourselves lucky to have anything near you. The closest stores to me are Wal-Mart and Sam Goody (20 minute drive, both close to each other). If I want to go to an EB, TRU, Babbages, Target, or any other store, minimum hour long drive on the interstate.

I have two Gamestops in the SAME mall. They are both staffed with complete morons, except for the managers. They both have excellent customer service skills, know all about games, and are really okay guys. The two stores pretty much do compliment each other on sales, as one has stuff in stock that the other doesn't. But wouldn't just having one bigger location be much better business wise than having two small locations?

I have two Gamestops (one used to be Funcoland, and the other used to be Babbages) and one EBworld in my town. The employees are always freindly at all of them. My only complaint is that I have all the cheap ass games already. I just recently started to pick up old school NES and Genesis games just to buy something from them.

damn i feel so lucky. i have two gamestops, one in a mall that used to be funco and which still sells classics, and one that recently opened right outside the mall.both are staffed by very nice, knowledgeale people (one even has a girl manager, who knows a shiiteload about games) and the environment is so nice, im applying for a job there.

Well the gamestop I fuequent is jsut awesome, they always have a friendly staff, and always seem to have a great slection of used ps1 games. Just in the last two months I picked up suikoden 2, lunar eternal blue, and legend of mana complete pfor 75 total, plus they had all their marvel legends figures b1g1 this past week.

Technically, they're not supposed to sell "pennied out" items, as the maker of whatever it is that's being marked off credits GameStop with money for the excess stock--they'd get a bit mad if you continued to sell the merchandise after the company has been credited funds for them already. But once the item gets down to a penny, it's not going to make much difference if a few items slip through and sell.
It all depends on the gamestop store, what the manager and DM really feel about the issue. Many will go entirely "by the book" and just throw everything in the trash. Some managers and DMs are strict on it, some aren't.

Normally when things are pennied out, they're to be thrown in the trash, but at times used as freebies for customers, or given to employees. For example, I scored a few strat guides, an SSX3 soundtrack and a copy of Everquest: Online Adventures recently. ^^;;;

If this is the case....then why does Best Buy sell them openly for a penny?

In addition, who determines if a guide is pennied out. Gamestop? The publisher? And if it is Gamestop, then what proof do they have that a guide has actually been destroyed. I know they don't cut off the covers and send them back (as most bookstores must do with periodicals).

Also, what about a guide like Soul Calibur that suddenly is selling for $7.99 instead of $14.99. Are those reported as being unsold at full price? If so, does Gamestop get credit for those as well.

i think the entire thing is horseshit. If the guides are on the shelf and the employees haven't gotten around to doing their job. The customer is entitled to the book at whatever the price happens to be. If it is a penny...then it's a penny.

not some cock and bull story about the guides needing to be destroyed. I can't imagine any other retail business being able to get away with something like that.

If this is the case....then why does Best Buy sell them openly for a penny?
At a penny, it's not really a big deal. Some GameStops do this as well, it all depends on the local management. Again, there are some that are really anal about the whole thing. :p

In addition, who determines if a guide is pennied out. Gamestop? The publisher? And if it is Gamestop, then what proof do they have that a guide has actually been destroyed. I know they don't cut off the covers and send them back (as most bookstores must do with periodicals).
I don't know, actually. And frankly I don't think they have a way of telling whether or not it's been destroyed. Just a silly company policy.

Also, what about a guide like Soul Calibur that suddenly is selling for $7.99 instead of $14.99. Are those reported as being unsold at full price? If so, does Gamestop get credit for those as well.
No idea. I assume not, as the credit to the company is likely the wholesale price paid for each copy in, likely much lower than $7.99. I really don't have a clue, though.

i think the entire thing is horseshit.
Yep.
If the guides are on the shelf and the employees haven't gotten around to doing their job. The customer is entitled to the book at whatever the price happens to be. If it is a penny...then it's a penny.
As for the employee bit, there really isn't much or any notification that an item needs to be pennied out, usually find out during either inventories or if someone wants to buy the item.

I have never been a GameStop fan or any Game Store Fan in that matter, once and a while I'll find a good deal, but ebay is where I do my used game shopping.

this is funny, at just about all the gamestops I go to(all over california really) there is usually one cool guy at the store who is working gamestop as a second job bc he loves games and the other guy working there is more corporate who doesnt know jack about games, or the second guy is totally brain dead(the brain dead part is obvious after 10 seconds of talking).

I kind of like the brain dead guys bc they are usually the ones that misprice NES games(recently I got kid icarus for the NES for $4, when I got home I realized they gave it the GAMEBOY kid icarus price, usually kid icarus NES is $15 heh)

gamestop and major video game retailers in general pretty much suck by default anyway. honestly, if i were the head of a major corporation and my main concern was sales, i would much prefer a manager with a lot of retail experience, business management skills, and a college education over a guy who's really friendly and knows a lot about video games, but doesn't have much familiarity with what a management position entails.

if you want the best customer service in the world, go to a local mom and pops shop. they need your money, and their biggest asset is the customer service. whereas these huge punkass companies like gamestop don't necessarily need that kind of environment to make sales. all they need are locations and lower prices. i've got 2 gamestops in my city, an eb games, and 2 mom and pops spots. if i wanted better deals, cheaper used games, and games on the day they are scheduled to come out, i'd go to gamestop. if i wanted a cool place to hang out and talk games and possibly find some rarer stuff, i'd go to the local stores.

i feel your pain. for 2 years i worked at a comic shop and it was all fun times and good shit. tons of joking around, tons of regulars, and while we were at it we sold comics and games. that place has since gone under, and i now work at target (which isn't too bad) but i definitely see the opposite side of the spectrum. customer service is significant, but on a larger scale it isn't as important as prices. that's just basic economics. it's what supply and demand is based on.

yeah, it sucks that it's a trade-off. but if you find a big retailer with great customer service and great employees, you get the best of both worlds. it's just easier if you don't walk into stores like this and expect the best, when they don't even expect the best of themselves.

i'm not sure if they're doing it at all gamestops, but my gamestop was one of the ones that stopped carrying nes, snes, genesis, and dreamcast stuff. AND AND... a little while before they stopped, i actually started going into gamestop more and more specifically for these games. the kicker is, the employees there knew, before they put the sign up, and the guy convinced me to buy that discount card, knowing that i only bought the nes, snes, genesis, and dreamcast games. ain't that a kick in the pants? i haven't been to gamestop in a long time.

if you're not happy with their service, let em know. you can do this verbally, but more significantly, you can also do it with your wallet. then again, we're CAGs so they probably won't care, haha.

[quote name='dracula']this is funny, at just about all the gamestops I go to(all over california really) there is usually one cool guy at the store who is working gamestop as a second job bc he loves games and the other guy working there is more corporate who doesnt know jack about games, or the second guy is totally brain dead(the brain dead part is obvious after 10 seconds of talking).

I kind of like the brain dead guys bc they are usually the ones that misprice NES games(recently I got kid icarus for the NES for $4, when I got home I realized they gave it the GAMEBOY kid icarus price, usually kid icarus NES is $15 heh)[/quote]

yea I just paid 15 for it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='dracula']this is funny, at just about all the gamestops I go to(all over california really) there is usually one cool guy at the store who is working gamestop as a second job bc he loves games and the other guy working there is more corporate who doesnt know jack about games, or the second guy is totally brain dead(the brain dead part is obvious after 10 seconds of talking).

I kind of like the brain dead guys bc they are usually the ones that misprice NES games(recently I got kid icarus for the NES for $4, when I got home I realized they gave it the GAMEBOY kid icarus price, usually kid icarus NES is $15 heh)[/quote]

yea I just paid 15 for it.[/quote]

just curious, where do you live? gamestop is eventually going to run out of old school games. except in the miswest and east coast, they sell the most old school games so they will continue to buy and sell used NES, snes, and genesis games.

i'm not sure if they're doing it at all gamestops, but my gamestop was one of the ones that stopped carrying nes, snes, genesis, and dreamcast stuff.
Yep. All GameStops will soon no longer be carrying that merchandise, and most of the stores had a deadline of Jan 22nd to get rid of that particular stock. My store shipped it to another GameStop in the area, so there should be a few that still carry it, for now.

Not quite sure how long that's going to last, though, I assume not very long. Sucks.

[quote name='Zingela']
i'm not sure if they're doing it at all gamestops, but my gamestop was one of the ones that stopped carrying nes, snes, genesis, and dreamcast stuff.
Yep. All GameStops will soon no longer be carrying that merchandise, and most of the stores had a deadline of Jan 22nd to get rid of that particular stock. My store shipped it to another GameStop in the area, so there should be a few that still carry it, for now.

Not quite sure how long that's going to last, though, I assume not very long. Sucks.[/quote]

well one of the managers I talked to said they may end up shipping all of them out to stores int he midwest and east coast.

They stopped buying back DC, snes, nes and genesis games on feb 22, but all the stores near me still sell them(but they no longer give store credit or buy the games back, once they are gone, they are gone.)

Oh boy have I ever had my Gamestop experiences. A quick one is how they wouldn't take my GBC because they couldn't read the barcode on the GB itself anymore, yet they didn't see the logic in using the one on the box which I still had, and even had it IN the box when I tried to sell it to them. Idiots. Luckily EB saw my logic and took it off my hands.

The best one is when I was trying to sell my PSX. Somehow the little plastic part that covers the I/O port came off and was lost. Well they wouldn't accept it for that reason. Correct me if I'm wrong but did anything besides the early version of GameShark actually USE that port? I still couldn't believe the mentality of not taking something just cause some little piece of plastic from it is missing. Funny thing is, I took it to the then Software Etc. at the mall(owned by the same company as Gamestop) and they took it with no questions asked. Unbelieveable was all I could keep thinking about.

Thankfully now the Gamestops in my area have gotten much better. They've got employees who actually know their stuff while being cool at the same time. I was almost convinced that I would never shop with them again after those incidents I listed above though.

[quote name='dracula'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='dracula']this is funny, at just about all the gamestops I go to(all over california really) there is usually one cool guy at the store who is working gamestop as a second job bc he loves games and the other guy working there is more corporate who doesnt know jack about games, or the second guy is totally brain dead(the brain dead part is obvious after 10 seconds of talking).

yea I just paid 15 for it.[/quote]

just curious, where do you live? gamestop is eventually going to run out of old school games. except in the miswest and east coast, they sell the most old school games so they will continue to buy and sell used NES, snes, and genesis games.[/quote]

I live in Wilmington, NC(near the coast) but bought it at the store in Raleigh

GameStop has always been kind to me, but lately I'm seeing new faces, including this REALLY hot gamer chick clerk.

I HATE EB Games with a fiery, red hot passion. I won't even explain it. I just hate them.

I personally hated the people that worked at the funcoland in Nashua, NH. They werent helpful or friendly, just cocky jerks who didnt help a 13 year old kid out, refusing too look up games for me or give me suggestions as to where i could find it, The new people are friendly even if unknoledgable at times but hey at least theyre helpful sometimes.

[quote name='terribledeli']My local Gamestop gives out guides when they've been zeroed out. But alot of it is stuff you don't want...i mean...what would I do with like 12 copies of SW: Bounty Hunter guide book?[/quote]

My local gamecrazy buys Used Guides for 1.00 store credit. anyone else's?

Quite a few of my friends work or had worked at the one near me. A couple quit a few weeks ago to move onto new things like chaffuering. The one that stayed was the 3rd keyholder. The two that quit were Mgr and AsstMgr. The guy they brought in as the Mgr is a real dip. He has no saleman skills, he ordered the store to be changed around and it's really fubar'ed now, plus, the guy is shaving hours off of other employees to make the hours fit by clocking people out for lunchbreaks they didn't take and having people clock-in late or early and have them work during time they aren't getting paid for. Also, they are hiring in someone new to take the Asst Mgr position instead of moving up my friend who has worked there for 2 years now.

Before that sounds like teennage whining. The guy is 27 years old and quit his job at a Fortune 500 we both worked at because the stress was eating him alive.

Edit: And I don't work there... just a customer.

Someone asked earlier what proof they keep of "pennied-items" being destroyed. While I'm not sure if they document it, the items themself are sent in for a "field destroy" by our district manager. I've seen this before and it's exactly as it sounds; the manager gathers up all the items and destroys them. This is accomplished by:
A. Throwing it in the trash (most managers do this)
B. Giving it away (more rational managers do this)
C. Giving most of it away, and then destroying the rest of it by fire or a good o' smashing (only the coolest of the cool do this).
The thing you have to remember is we're really -not- supposed to be selling them as when we affix the pricing labels after close; anything at .01 is supposed to be immediatly collected for destruction. In the event that I'm closing and affixing labels; if I don't see anything I want (yeah, that's right, I take first priority) then I'll just leave it out on the shelf. Most of the time, someone buys it within the next day. Of course, like someone else had mentioned, some managers are REALLY strict about this and I have indeed ben reprimanded for doing this. It's not a punishable offense to forget, however, and I suspect I will continue to do so. Just remember that if you see a stack of things behind the counter, or on the floor, priced at $.01 and when you take it up to the counter the clerk tells you he can't sell it; his manager or even his DM is somewhere nearby.
As for the whole SNES NES Genesis "phase-out" deal, yeah, it sucks. However, I can see their point.l I know at my store every day we would get people dragging in loads of crap games that we would never sell and we were forced to take. I guess instead of instituting a restricted title policy they decided to stop messing with it. Sucks for all. Don't worry though, you can still find them at certain Gamestops (I remember mine was still selling some Top Loader NES systems. The beauty about this is that the company doesn't distinguish between the two different ones in the computer, so they are priced the same as the regular NES at $29.99. Needless to say, I bought one). As for normal slectivity about used trade ins; god, I hope they do something. I swear, if I have to shove one more copy of Madden 2003 into the drawer I'm going to scream.
No, about the attitude of employees. This is kind of a touchy subject for me since I work at one of these stores, but I can understand some of your frustrations. I hate tight-assed clerks as much as the next guy, but you have to step back and think about the whole situation. I know that towards the end of the night, especially around 8 or so, I can be a little short but that's only because I'm tired and have had to explain that yes, we do have a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on (despite the 37, yes I've counted, banners and signs hanging in the store, on the shelves, and in the front windows) and that no; you can't buy a 2.99 and a 4.99 game and get the 30.00 game free. I'm edgy because for every one polite and rational customer I've had, I've had 3 that are rude, smelly, or stubborn. I've had 3 people complain about our return policy directly to me even though I explain it after every transaction and it is printed at the bottom of the receipt. I've had 2 tell me that they will get me fired and one claim that I was a fraud. I've had 18 people claim that I receive commision when they buy something from me and that's why I should stop helping the mom pick a game for her son and come over and show them if it is a two player game. I've had 4 people fill out a check for Gamespot and then complain to me even after I told them before they started writing the check that it's "Gamestop". I've had 12 smelly people come in today that left a cloud of funk where I have to stay all day. I've had 2 people tell me they were going to take their business elsewhere because I told them not to smoke in the store. I've had 42 people complain to me about what the trade in value on their games were and complained more when I told them I wasn't allowed to "make deals". I had one guy come in and ask me if we sold those electronic ab machines and another one ask me for directions to EB. I've had people bring their kids in and let them climb all over the Xbox shelves; knocking all the used games to the floor. I've been told by 7 people that there is a system that let's them play all the console games. 51 people have ignored or rudely dismissed me when I asked them if they "Need any asistance". One guy tried to steal in a stack of stolen Ps2 games and then tried to call me the thief. 11 guys didn't have their pants pulled up enough when they bent down; just say no to crack. 6 people said that a "John" or "Stan" told them they could bring back their used game a weeks later if they didn't like it and get another one; we don''t have a "John" or a "stan" at the store. 23 people didn't understand why their used games weren't worth as much as the day they bought them, 2 people tried to fool me by stuffing the cases with burned cds or old pc games,4 people asked me if I could read (even though they didn't know we ny offer a seven day defective warranty through us as it says at the bottom of the receipt) and the guy who demanded I tell him the combined cash total for his 34 used games over the phone (even though we're only allowed to do a max of 3 over the phone when our line is backed up, as it was at the time) made me miss my lunch and didn't even offer so much as a thankyou.
Oddly enough, through those customers, by 8 or 8:30 Pm, I remember some other customers. I've been patted on the back and thanked profusely for helping a guy find an old PS game he'd been searching months for. The lady who I helped pick out gifts for her children told me I was one of the kindest, most upstanding young men that she had ever met. The lady whose Gameboy problem I fixed by showing her that she was putting the cartridges in the wrong way said the same thing in not so many words. The teenager who came in and asked me which SNES and Gamecube games I thought warranted a person said I was one of the coolest gamestore clerks he had ever met. One guy was so happy that I ordered an old PS One game for him from another store that he bought me a Philly Sheesesteak; guess that made up for the lunchbreak I missed. One girl who was buying something for her boyfriend said I was cute; so was she. I had a little 7 yr old girl return her Marshmallow sucker because it was too hard for her teeth; cheered me up when she smiled as I gave her another one. I had an older couple come in from the local children's home and I gave them the SNES units some people had brought in earlier and didn't want. We don't accept them as trades anymore. They said I had a good heart. I've had 10 people thank me for my input on certain games. I've had just as many wish me a good day as they left the store.

Yeah, by 8:30 or so it's been an interesting mix. Like I said, I don't condone needlessly rude behavior by Gamestore employees, but I can see their point sometimes. The key is to find that one or those two good employees that work there out of a love for games as much as a need for money. Those are the peopleyou should get familiar with at the store. If you're a good customer and are polite, chances are, good things will come of it.

Most of the stores here in Utah are pretty good. I simply prefer EB. After the whole bleem!cast thing where Gamestop (Babbages) succumbed to Sony's strongarm tactics and wouldn't carry the product, I just prefer to spend my cash at EB.

I'm a gamer. Not a Sony whore.

bread's done
Back