Nyko Frontman for PS3 Any CAG's planning on getting it?

IGN just reviewed it the other day, actually...
http://gear.ign.com/articles/863/863447p1.html

Is anyone going to be picking it up? The written review makes it sound better than the 7.0/10 they give it, in my opinion, so I'm seriously considering it now. I only own GH3 but if nothing else, I could rent Rock Band and see how I like it that way. And hope that one day my GH3 axe will work in Rock Band too...please patch, please...

I'm getting one. I want to start playing 2P GH3 and need that extra RB axe for guests. I've never had a single Nyko product that I can remember, so I hope this one is of some decent quality since everyone I know seems to bash the company.

At the same time, a lot of people bash MadKatz, and I've never had a problem with their PS2 peripherals. I've even liked them more than Sony brand in some cases, so right now I take the Nyko bashing with a grain of salt.

I really want to get one, but I think that I may wait a bit. I don't really care for the looks of this guitar. although, I am antsy to get a bass for rockband, and I really really want to play guitar hero 3. I am torn, I just don't know what to do. I hope that patch comes out soon, I love the looks of the Les Paul that comes with GH3. Thats my 2 cents!:D

Well if anyone DOES pick it up, can you please post some feedback on it? I think IGN's review made me feel a bit better, but how extreme is the difference between the GH3 Les Paul's frets and the Nyko's Frontman's?

And I had read the PS2 version had a poor whammy and tilt sensor, and broke easily...but it seems like IGN is claiming these problems are gone with this version...

I can wait a couple of days for another strat. I really hate 3rd party junk, why can't 3rd party make something BETTER than first party for a change?

TAC is coming out with this fine looking thing. Not sure about their quality, but it's got some nice features.
BSS-WL-BLKV3-2.jpg

I'm looking to get one but to B&M stores have them around my area and Amazon, Buy.com etc... are all sold out.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']TAC is coming out with this fine looking thing. Not sure about their quality, but it's got some nice features.
BSS-WL-BLKV3-2.jpg
[/quote]

That right there..makes my pants tight. I'd buy that in a heartbeat for some rockband action, and depending on how the buttons/strum felt, it might replace my rockband guitar.

See, I haven't ever tried a third party guitar before...I've just tried the Rock Band and the GH3 guitars. I like the GH3 and hate the Rock Band. Can you describe what the TAC ones have been like in the past, to get an idea of what we might be able to expect from that TAC?

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']See, I haven't ever tried a third party guitar before...I've just tried the Rock Band and the GH3 guitars. I like the GH3 and hate the Rock Band. Can you describe what the TAC ones have been like in the past, to get an idea of what we might be able to expect from that TAC?[/quote]

same here. i cannot stand teh mushy feeling of the strum.

Excellent hands on:
The popularity of games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero has created an extraordinary demand for guitar peripherals. However, many PS3 fans are left cold knowing that their Guitar Hero controllers won't work in Rock Band, and vice versa. It seems ridiculous to have a small army of guitar controllers lying around to play these two games. Thankfully, Nyko has an excellent solution.

The Front Man guitar is an excellent option for those looking for an extra guitar. Unlike the official options from Activision and Harmonix, this third-party solution allows for playback on both games, with a simple flip of a switch. For those looking for one guitar that works with both music games, this is obviously an ideal choice.

However, we found that the Front Man guitar is simply the best guitar available on the PS3. Like other guitars on the platform, you will need to connect a dongle to the system for it to work wirelessly. The dongle is rather cute, looking like a guitar foot pedal. There are lights on the front of the pedal, each corresponding to the five buttons you can press on the guitar. They light up according to what you're pressing down. Neat!

The guitar feels terrific as well. The buttons feel smoother than the Guitar Hero ones, and the strum bar doesn't have the same "mushy" feel that the Rock Band controllers do. The guitar takes three AA batteries (included!), and the life on it seems fantastic. For those that don't mind a corded option when jamming, the unit also includes a fantastically long USB cable for a direct connection. We use the USB cable on our DualShock 3 controllers as well -- it's great to finally be able to play a game and charge PS3 controllers with this super-long USB cable.

Considering how Nyko's Front Man guitar retails for the same price as competing guitars and works on both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, this is obviously the guitar of choice for those looking for one. With its solid construction and thoughtful design features, Nyko has developed a winner.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/13/ps3-fanboy-hands-on-nykos-frontman-guitar/

I'm buying this guitar and a used copy of GH3.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I'm buying this guitar and a used copy of GH3.[/quote]

Might want to go to GS while the 25% off used PS3 coupon is still active.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Might want to go to GS while the 25% off used PS3 coupon is still active.[/QUOTE]I have several of those coupons printed out right now. ;) I already used one, but looking to buy another games (either GH3 or Sega Rally Revo).

I thought about buying Rock Band used for $30, (with coupons and stuff, around $20), but drums would cost $80 and guitars $60, so I wouldn't really be saving (plus I still need a mic, although I may get Karaoke Revolution AIE for PS3).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have several of those coupons printed out right now. ;) I already used one, but looking to buy another games (either GH3 or Sega Rally Revo).

I thought about buying Rock Band used for $30, (with coupons and stuff, around $20), but drums would cost $80 and guitars $60, so I wouldn't really be saving (plus I still need a mic, although I may get Karaoke Revolution AIE for PS3).[/quote]

You don't have a USB mic lying around? Suprising.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']You don't have a USB mic lying around? Suprising.[/QUOTE]Well, I have a USB headset (two, which I used for Karaoke Revolution), not an actual microphone. I've been meaning to buy one anyway for some games.

Yea, I'm really looking forward to the Widow Maker or the FrontMan, can't decide which. Supposedly the Freedom V is really small, but I don't know that for sure so don't take my word. I was told by TAC that the Widow Maker is "bigger than the Freedom V, but about the same time as the Strat" (Rock Band's guitar)

So I'm assuming Widow Maker is the regular size and Freedom V is smaller. Either way, the Nyko is sold out everywhere. If the Widow Maker lets you play on the PS2, I might even pick up old PS2 versions of Guitar Hero, for the hell of it...(never owned any but 3...)

BUMP

has anyone ordered one of these guitars or TAC ps2->ps3 adapter? i noticed it is in stock now on TAC web store. i want some impressions or reviews please

[quote name='anarchyburger']BUMP

has anyone ordered one of these guitars or TAC ps2->ps3 adapter? i noticed it is in stock now on TAC web store. i want some impressions or reviews please[/quote]

Here is a link to the item in question: http://store.theantcommandos.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GTR%2DPS3%2DADPT&CartID=1

On the product description it says that Guitar Hero 1 works without the Hammer On/Pull Off problems that earlier adapters had, but makes no mention of whether or not it works with Guitar Hero 2 or 80's. I find that omission a bit unsettling since, I have all three and would love to completely retire my fatty PS2 entirely. If someone wants to bite and give a review, that would be totally awesome. After all so many of these products in the past have stated similar claims and none of them delivered.

[quote name='josh_animebum']Here is a link to the item in question: http://store.theantcommandos.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GTR-PS3-ADPT&CartID=1

On the product description it says that Guitar Hero 1 works without the Hammer On/Pull Off problems that earlier adapters had, but makes no mention of whether or not it works with Guitar Hero 2 or 80's. I find that omission a bit unsettling since, I have all three and would love to completely retire my fatty PS2 entirely. If someone wants to bite and give a review, that would be totally awesome. After all so many of these products in the past have stated similar claims and none of them delivered.[/quote]Your concerns are valid, since they basically itemize the games and guitars with which it works. I think I will pick it up though, because I'd love to be able to use my wireless PS2 guitar from RedOctane with Rock Band.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Your concerns are valid, since they basically itemize the games and guitars with which it works. I think I will pick it up though, because I'd love to be able to use my wireless PS2 guitar from RedOctane with Rock Band.[/quote]yeah, i agree with you. being able to use my ps2 guitar with rock band is a good enough reason for me to bite. it beats buying another rock band guitar, but it'll have to wait 'til next payday for me... but definitely keep everyone updated if you do end up buying one, impressions are definitely appreciated. Also an article about it just appeared on kotaku today

http://kotaku.com/384690/ps2-to-ps3-guitar-hero-adapter-rescues-otherwise-functional-guitars

well I'm a fellow CAG that got the Nyko Front Man from amazon. I've had it for about a week and a half or so. I like it a lot.

The strum bar is clicky, like the Les Paul. I owned a LP on GHIII for 360. The frets are nice, but I noticed you have to hold them down a little harder or more centered than the LP. What I mean is, sometimes when I'm fretting fast, my finger is on the edge of the fret rather than centered and it may not register all the time, but not a huge deal, but noticeable.
The guitar itself has the effects switch, a nyko button which functions as the XMB button and a select/start. I don't like the placement of the select start so much as they are kind of big and near where my arm rests to strum/whammy. The guitar itself is very sturdy and looks like it was constructed very well. It feels a lot better that a strato I tested out at BB. It's size is the same as a LP as I stood them next to each other and they're the exact same size. It has a directional joystick for XMB menu navigation too. Also comes w/ a pink faceplate if you want to change it out haha

It comes with a super long USB charging cable which works with the DS3 to charge, so you can plug and play now! haha, also the guitar charges your rechargeable batteries if you have them in the guitar via that cable, pretty neat. The wireless dongle is, IMO, a big tacky amp thingy, not sure what it is called. It's red and does'nt really look great but whatever, I guess it's necessary. It lets you switch from GHIII or RB.

It also comes with the neck strap, one complaint is the strap connects too close to the body of the guitar itself rather than on the neck of the guitar so when you let the guitar hang w/o support on your neck, the neck falls down so it hangs down toward the hip/knees rather than toward your arm.. This is compared to the Les Paul where the strap is attached near the base of the neck to help balance the weight of the guitar when dangling. I know odd, but I noticed it vs the LP.

Overall I wanted a better option than the strato (hated it) and wanted to play RB rather than GHIII so I went with this. I don't regret it at all, it works very well and is very responsive. I don't know if it is a RB thing or guitar thing but the overdrive takes a split second to register in game when I rock out on the guitar itself.

Anymore questions, just shoot 'em this way.

FYI, I'm just playing guitar solo on RB.. I liked the DLC of RB and had played enough of GHIII on 360 so I wanted to check out RB.

[quote name='aznguyen316']well I'm a fellow CAG that got the Nyko Front Man from amazon. I've had it for about a week and a half or so. I like it a lot.

The strum bar is clicky, like the Les Paul. I owned a LP on GHIII for 360. The frets are nice, but I noticed you have to hold them down a little harder or more centered than the LP. What I mean is, sometimes when I'm fretting fast, my finger is on the edge of the fret rather than centered and it may not register all the time, but not a huge deal, but noticeable.
The guitar itself has the effects switch, a nyko button which functions as the XMB button and a select/start. I don't like the placement of the select start so much as they are kind of big and near where my arm rests to strum/whammy. The guitar itself is very sturdy and looks like it was constructed very well. It feels a lot better that a strato I tested out at BB. It's size is the same as a LP as I stood them next to each other and they're the exact same size. It has a directional joystick for XMB menu navigation too. Also comes w/ a pink faceplate if you want to change it out haha

It comes with a super long USB charging cable which works with the DS3 to charge, so you can plug and play now! haha, also the guitar charges your rechargeable batteries if you have them in the guitar via that cable, pretty neat. The wireless dongle is, IMO, a big tacky amp thingy, not sure what it is called. It's red and does'nt really look great but whatever, I guess it's necessary. It lets you switch from GHIII or RB.

It also comes with the neck strap, one complaint is the strap connects too close to the body of the guitar itself rather than on the neck of the guitar so when you let the guitar hang w/o support on your neck, the neck falls down so it hangs down toward the hip/knees rather than toward your arm.. This is compared to the Les Paul where the strap is attached near the base of the neck to help balance the weight of the guitar when dangling. I know odd, but I noticed it vs the LP.

Overall I wanted a better option than the strato (hated it) and wanted to play RB rather than GHIII so I went with this. I don't regret it at all, it works very well and is very responsive. I don't know if it is a RB thing or guitar thing but the overdrive takes a split second to register in game when I rock out on the guitar itself.

Anymore questions, just shoot 'em this way.

FYI, I'm just playing guitar solo on RB.. I liked the DLC of RB and had played enough of GHIII on 360 so I wanted to check out RB.[/QUOTE]

Can you play RB, and GHIII while wired to the PS3, or is it wireless only?

for the wired connection - Does the Wireless Dongle have a usb input?

If anyone is on the fence about this, I'd wait for the next wave of official (new style) Rock Band guitars. They're coming out sometime this year and from what I know, they look/play AWESOME...

[quote name='MarkMan']If anyone is on the fence about this, I'd wait for the next wave of official (new style) Rock Band guitars. They're coming out sometime this year and from what I know, they look/play AWESOME...[/QUOTE]I believe they are good, but would they actually work on RB (is the big question). I don't really care in ways since I may never try to get back into Guitar Hero.

I'm debating right now whether I buy a Frontman (and sell off my PS2 Guitar and game, since I hate wired), keep the guitar and get an adapter (since it's cheap), or wait for the next RB guitar (or maybe just buy a 2nd one, although I'm not a big fan of its quality).

Just so you know Mana, I love the FrontMan. Right now I own an official Les Paul for my PS3, plus the FrontMan. I personally like the FrontMan better, but my friend who has slightly smaller hands (mine aren't particularly big, his are just smaller) prefers the slightly thinner neck of the Les Paul.

I'm thinking of selling my original Les Paul and getting a TAC Double Range (blah blah whatever its name is) as a second guitar, so I'd have 2 capable of Rock Band or GH, one of which would have the extra frets at the bottom (FrontMan does NOT have them). Haven't seen any reviews anywhere, but it seems like it's good quality from reviews of older TAC guitars. The only thing that bothers me is that it has that "360 fly" functionality--my question is, when would someone actually use that, and more importantly, won't it trigger Star Power? Haha...

Oh and someone asked above:

You CAN play wired to the PS3, and no there is no USB input to the dongle, you'd need to either unplug and replug, or use another USB port. No batteries required when wired though, which is nice...

I just sold my PS2 guitar today since I just can't stand wired guitars anymore (since I'm afraid I'll trip over the cord and can only stand near the TV.

I plan to eventually get the Frontman, but we'll see when (however, I'm debating about waiting). I'm kind of afraid the RB guitar will break soon.

I picked up a Nyko Frontman last week, and agree with everything aznguyen316 stated in his above posting nearly to a tee. Great guitar, excellent flipper and feel to the guitar with the exception of the balance issue due to the placement of the strap. When playing RB, I did miss the lower frets only for the songs with big finishes (the only time I use those buttons). However, my Frontman would suddenly lose connection during a song for no apparent reason. I could establish a link with the USB footpetal/dongle select my song, start playing, but at some point the dongle would stop receiving the guitar signals and I would proceed to fail the song because of the lack of input. I exchanged the Frontman from a different local Gamestop, but had the same exact problem with the new one. There were no physical obstructions between the 4-5 feet from the guitar controller and the dongle, I used fresh batteries, I was able to synch up and tried all 4 USB hubs (80gb PS3), but no luck. I was bummed. I found similar reports on other forums about troublesome connections, but I think they are somewhat limited. I emailed Nyko support, and they suggested exchanging the guitar and stated they would happily do the exchange themselves if there were any problems.

Fortunately, I just received my TAC Double Range guitar controller (shipped from TAC) and played it for a bit last night. It has 5 lower frets which are spaced about the same amount as they are higher on the neck (unlike the RB Strat, where the buttons were much closer together). The flipper/strum bar isn't as smooth as the Frontman's but still has a nice solid click to it and still much preferred over the Strat. The guitar strap placement on the TAC Double Range is a little odd where it connects to the back of the guitar neck and therefore creates a half twist as it rises toward your left shoulder (playing right handed), which I find slightly uncomfortable. The whammy bar feels pretty loose when using it during a song, but works fine. The receiver/dongle has a USB and PS2 split connection for the input, and I haven't tried it with the PS2 (for GH1, GH2 and GH80s) yet, but it worked flawlessly with the connection to the PS3 while playing both RB and GHIII.

If I had to choose between the Nyko Frontman and the TAC Double Range, I would go with the Frontman for overall comfort and enjoyment of playing with it. I don't know why the Frontman would lose synch with my system, but because of that, I am content with the TAC Double Range even with its few shortcomings just because it works very well. I like the effects switch location on the TAC as it is between the strum/flipper and the neck putting it in easy reach. But, I don't like the location of the start and select button on the TAC because they are right under my right palm, and even though I haven't bumped them during play, it seems like it might be possible because of where they are located.

I just wanted to throw my quick comparison out there to y'all for reference, as I found this thread extremely useful and chuck full of good info on the 3rd party guitar controllers.

From what I believe, it may be a PS3 issue because RF signal dropping is normal with the Bluetooth, and some devices on PS3.

Anyway, the Guitar is now $50 at EB/Gamestop and I'm thinking about buying it (especially if I can use a 10% coupon on it). I want another guitar so I can play with two guitars on RB. Also, it working with GH3 is good in case I EVER decide to buy it.

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=68822

EDIT: I bought one
NykoFrontPS3.jpg

[quote name='MarkMan']There are some new guitars coming out in August. They're awesome![/QUOTE]I knew new guitars were coming, but since I was getting a good deal, I went ahead and got it. I plan to replace my other RB guitar in the future anyway (the truth is, I love the design of the RB guitar, but the quality is iffy). But I need a new foot pedal more.

I mostly bought it as a GH type controller for my friends who are use to GH and just could not get use to RB.

[quote name='richierich']I dunno, I've never trusted Nyko products for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I've never trusted nyko after the intercooler fiasco. Then on top of that the product they send me to replace doesn't even have batteries that fit the 360 controller. Awesome.

[quote name='Zoglog']I've never trusted nyko after the intercooler fiasco. Then on top of that the product they send me to replace doesn't even have batteries that fit the 360 controller. Awesome.[/QUOTE]I don't trust intercoolers to begin with.

Anyway, the guitar is pretty solid and feels good. I'm more so use to RB though. I tried it out and played fine.

The new Rock Band guitars blow the frontman out of the water, I suggest everyone save their money for those. They're official too.

[quote name='MarkMan']The new Rock Band guitars blow the frontman out of the water, I suggest everyone save their money for those. They're official too.[/QUOTE]Like I said, I got the Frontman to WORK on Guitar Hero III also, just in case I ever pick it up. I'm likely to pick up a new RB guitar anyway. I just hope it doesn't cost over $60, since I can't pay more than that. :whistle2:(

Is RB getting better drums too?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Like I said, I got the Frontman to WORK on Guitar Hero III also, just in case I ever pick it up. I'm likely to pick up a new RB guitar anyway. I just hope it doesn't cost over $60, since I can't pay more than that. :whistle2:(

Is RB getting better drums too?[/quote]I saw the GH drums and I like the way the cymbals are placed and will be quiter.I think RB 2 was supposedly just an expansion,I hope it comes with a better drum set.I'm actually starting to play songs on expert!

bread's done
Back