CAG Premium Insider Membership Program - APRIL FOOLS!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
April Fools Update

Thanks everyone for a great April Fools Day! It was really quite touching to see how many people were willing to pay for a membership to help support CAG. I received at least 20 emails with rsvp's for Platinum level memberships. Despite the interest from the CAGs, I do not have any plans, nor any desire to ask the community for money. I'd much rather have you support the site (and me) by continuing to shop through the CAG affiliate links.

Looking foward, I think everyone is going to be completely blown away when we launch CAG 2.0 in the next few months. I'm really looking forward to seeing the community's reaction.

Thanks for your continued support!

--------------------------------------------

Here's a great IM conversation I had with a CAG regarding the PIMP program.
I'm posting it with his permission. He's the guy who made this awesome Halo 2 video.
rywateska: quick question though

CheapyD: yup

rywateska: cag premium...the free spot is going to kill the community with how limited it is

CheapyD: really, you think so?

rywateska: I'm down for giving some money, but since it's still early yes sooo much so
Think of all the random deals that occur from unheard of members
its not like every seasoned vet is the only source of information

CheapyD: hmmm

rywateska: a lot of coupons and random "xyz store coupon code or sale" come from them. and one post is very limited in answering quesitons that may pop up because of it

CheapyD: I think people will step up
when people pay for the membership, they will work harder

rywateska: very true, but its very limiting to new members
Ive only read what you put up, and my viewpoint is "I just want my Monopoly heads back" and all...but I'd open up a discussion or two to see how the opinions end up going

CheapyD: Well, paying members can get Monopoly heads too
i'm sure ill think of new things to add

rywateska: Hahaha, all right
Just for people cheap as shit, $100 is somehting they have to weigh against getting $100 in extra savings in the coupons and private deals
I would try and throw in some type of game incentive or something of a gift card of a small denomination to amazon of maybe $20 or so. Try to balance it out so they can talk themselves into "well at least I get an on-sale greatest hit"

CheapyD: But how else can I keep up my internet space pimp lifestyle? You know i have a talking bathrub right? that shit aint cheap

rywateska: Hahaha, I believe it
I'm not against making money, I'm against not making enough money

CheapyD: I want to upgrade my toilet...I want one that analyzes my shit

rywateska: You want to peak out your money in the right way, and by excluding too much of the base you'll make less in the long run

CheapyD: Also, I like to get handjobs in Shinjuku...those are expensive.

rywateska: Not to be a negative buddy, but I just simply think anything close to a retail game is steep. It's CAG, try and find a way to hand off incentives that's all
This is a great way to weed out and save the deals to those who will get the best use out of them, no doubt.
You'll make some good money too. Just try to find a perfect medium of most users so that you get the most money

CheapyD: Ya know what else is expensive?

rywateska: big ass chains?

CheapyD: Calendars
CheapyD: Do you have one?

rywateska: negative
I cant afford one

CheapyD: I can tell

rywateska: i just buy them in october when theyre cheap
all right, enough of my useless suggestions. i've been knee deep in business school exams for two weeks and majoring in ebusiness and entrepreneurial management classes makes it seem like I will one day know something

CheapyD: Since you don't have a calendar...I'll give you a freebie

rywateska: I hope it goes well, and I'll be happy to hand over some decreasing dollars when the time comes around

CheapyD: todays date is April 1, 2008

rywateska: ahhh
fuck my life

CheapyD: LOL

rywateska: haha
totally thought it was cag 2.0
no joke

--------------------------------------------

In an effort to create a more tightly-knit community and to cover escalating server costs, I'm excited to announce our new Premium Insider Membership Program. I believe this move will help eliminate some of our less-desirable members and bring the community closer together. The program will kick-off next week.

Accessing the site will still be free for all, but we will now have different tiers of membership. Each tier will have accompanying benefits as outlined below.

Guest (Free)
  • Can read the site, create one topic, one post, and one private message per day
  • Private message box limited to 10 messages
Silver ($10/year)
  • Can create unlimited topics, posts, and private messages
  • Private message box limit raised to 250
Gold ($50/year)
  • Can create unlimited topics, posts, and private messages
  • Private message box limit raised to 500
  • Can upload and attach images to posts
  • Can have avatar and signature
  • Site is advertisement free
Platinum ($100/year)
All Gold benefits, plus:
  • Private message box limit raised to 1000
  • Private deals and coupons from your favorite retailers
  • Custom avatar drawn by WhipSmartBanky
  • Immunity from infractions/bannings (some limitations apply)
  • Be a Forum Guide in the forum of your choosing (optional)
  • Can download CAGcast 2 days early
  • Access to private forum for Platinum members only
  • CheapyD autographed photo
  • 1 day tour of Tokyo w/CheapyD (airfare and accommodations not included, scheduling conflicts may occur)
Platinum memberships will be limited, so please contact us to reserve your spot.
No deposit is required at this time.

[quote name='blueweltall']Boo! Bad April Joke! Best Buy Gamer was better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me it's April Fools day.

D,

When you and I discussed this months ago, you assured me that Platinum Membership would be $500/year. I just double-checked the e-mails, and you definitely said $500. I have this IN WRITING. Now I'm seeing $100. This had better be a typo. A contract is still a contract. You will definitely be hearing from my lawyers.

While I believe that a $10 membership is quite reasonable, I do think that this is a risky endeavor with a site whose defining feature is its cheapass rank and file. I've been on GameTZ for almost 10 years now and for a couple years Bill, the owner, tried a subscription-only approach. Yes, the vast majority of the total asshats were swept away, but we lost A LOT of great traders as well (his price point was $20/year, for reference). I feel as though we might run into similar problems here. Although the site will be free, the severe communication throttling that comes with "guest" status will likely drive a number of people away. Who wants to post once in a day and then say "okay, i'll come back and say something new tomorrow"? I just hope we're not confusing "less-desirable" users with less-dedicated users

[quote name='guynextshore']4/01 right.....?[/quote]

either 4/1 or 4:20...not sure which one Cheapy's enjoying, but he's smoking somethin! haha

Man. this is horrible news. I just read on Wombat's blog that he quit the CAGcast to work for UGO's new Wombat Cast. What a terrible day.

You forgot about the titanium membership which involves sleeping with Wombats or your wife and then a threesome with the shipwrecks. No strings attached!

I am so in for this! Is there a step above Platinum I can buy?

Happy April Fools! I like how A p r i l and f o o l s are Shaq-fu words for the day!

Cheapy, how can I get a life size cut out of you. I also want a talking Wombat one with a cartoon caption that says he's here for the children.

[quote name='Quintessence']I am so in for this! Is there a step above Platinum I can buy?

Happy April Fools! I like how A p r i l and f o o l s are Shaq-fu words for the day!
[/quote]
Titanium baby.

[quote name='Quintessence']I am so in for this! Is there a step above Platinum I can buy?

[/quote]

[quote name='Master Shake']Titanium baby.[/quote]

Maybe there can be one for "Big Ass Chains!"

bread's done
Back