CAG Foreplay #39: Are You Up to the Task? (4/2/08)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of April 2nd, 2008. This week's games are in limited supply. And I don't just mean in the "what am I going to do with this plastic girl figurine" kind of way.

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for domain names for just $6.95 a year. Just enter code "GAMER1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay39.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Wii

WWII Aces Dev. Arcade Moon Pub. Destineer Systems: Wii MSRP: $39.99
(Deja Preview) WWII Aces, which I can only imagine is supposed to be pronounced "WaWii Aces", is a flight combat game that is not even as good as that pun. And that's a freakin' terrible pun. Not in the it's "so bad it's good" sort of way either, it's just terrible. If you don't believe me, invite a friend over to play some of the split-screen co-op and you can hear it straight from his/her mouth. Ill-fated Wii controls, poor graphics, boring and repetitive missions - this one is going down in a blaze of glory. And not in the "so bad it's good" Bon Jovi way either. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for WWII Aces.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)

DS

Double Sequence: The Q-Virus Invasion Dev. Next Wave Team Pub. Destination Software Systems: DS MSRP: $14.99
No, no, no, they've got it all wrong. The clever "DS" part of the title is supposed to go after the colon. If they can't get that right how do we have any hope of stopping this Q-Virus? How about by matching up similarly colored blocks to decode the DNA of the virus? Unnecessary naming conventions be damned, that's just crazy enough to work. So by utilizing both screens you must form chains of a specified length by rotating the columns of blocks right or left and then swapping them vertically. Once the chain is formed you simply tap a button with the stylus and those blocks disappear and the remaining ones are there to rack your brain some more. The thing is, the blocks are actually one continuous loop that cycles around from the bottom screen and then up to the top screen. It's really difficult to explain so think of it as Super Collapse mixed with Astropop and then twisted back upon itself until your brain implodes. As of writing this preview, I'm happy to report that I've been able to beat one out of the thirty levels so far. Not to fear though, there's a create-a-puzzle mode so I could always boost my ego by setting up puzzles that I could actually solve. If you think you're up to the cranial challenge though (and can't get enough decoding DNA during your day job), Double Sequence is smartly priced at $15. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Double Sequence: The Q-Virus Invasion.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $14.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

George of the Jungle Dev. Ignition Entertainment Pub. Crave Entertainment Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) You may have noticed a new Canadian-based George of the Jungle Cartoon on Cartoon Network while you were fruitlessly searching for Futurama (it's now on Comedy Central – DUH!). If you showed your annoyance by proclaiming, "There’s nothing good on TV!" and shut it off, this game might not be for you. If you thought, "Wow, this is interesting. Boy do I hope they release a multi-system action/platformer based on this cartoon!" then these games are for you. The screenshots for this game don't look bad; the animation style is pretty well done. However, there's not much information out about the gameplay other than all three games are single-player and carry an ESRB warning that they contain comic mischief. Buyers beware. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for George of the Jungle.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)

Rafa Nadal Tennis Dev. Warner Home Video Games Pub. Codemasters Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Ever dreamed of being the second best tennis player in the world? Well now's your chance, and without that pesky Roger Federer in your way (or any other professional tennis players), maybe Nadal can finally ascend to the top of the rankings. Or maybe this is just another example of a GameStop exclusive that got universally panned by reviewers when it released in Europe two years ago. This game features a stylus based control scheme that has you not only suggesting where Rafael (or your create-a-character) should move, but also how and where they should hit the ball. If you're thinking, well I bet that doesn't work well, you'd probably get along fabulously with the guy on the dev team that convinced them to also include a traditional d-pad and buttons configuration. That is, until you found out that method of control is only moderately better. Then you'd probably have nothing to really say to him besides something awkward like, "So, couldn't get Roger Federer, huh?". - ship

Best Deal:
There are no deals for Rafa Nadal Tennis as it is a EB/GameStop exclusive.

:ds: Purchase At EB Games $29.99 (EB/GameStop Exclusive)

Toy Shop Dev. GAMEINVEST/SEED Studios Pub. Majesco Systems: DS MSRP: $19.99
At first read, the plot of this DS title seems to be a Harvest Moon rip-off, only with a toy shop instead of a farm. The two main characters have just lost their grandfather, inherited his toy shop, and have three years to make it profitable and to convince the town to accept you as the shop's owners. At second read, it seems exactly like a Harvest Moon rip-off. Only instead of harvesting and watering and foraging, the gameplay revolves around marketing and building and pricing. It's an economic simulation for kids who couldn't care less about how much a toy costs. The hardest part about this title is figuring out who it's target audience is. Gamers who love simulation games might find this one a bit too simple and childish. But it's charm and simplicity might create a whole new generation of economic simulation lovers. It's a sim-light, that's for sure. At least Majesco got their economics right in only charging $20 for this one. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Toy Shop.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $18.99 (Free shipping on orders over $25)

Xbox 360

Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year Edition Dev. Infinity Ward Pub. Activision Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
(Deja Preview) Most gamers won't need me to explain this well-known WWII first-person-shooter franchise. Except, of course, it's no longer set in WWII. The newest edition is set in modern times, location unnamed. The other thing that most gamers will remember from playing the COD4 beta is that your soldier becomes more skilled as you play. As your player levels up, new weapons, skills, and abilities become available. The levels cap at 65 (in the final game, this is rumor - the beta only went up to 55), and then the gamer has the choice of staying at 55 or restarting at level one in prestige mode with a bonus icon. All in all, this game is one that's been talked about for months, so you don't need a preview to recommend you buy it - most of you probably already have. - mrs. ship

The Game of the Year Edition includes the four new maps that will be released on Xbox Live this week, so if you haven't picked this game up yet be sure to grab this version to save yourself $10. PlayStation 3 owners will have to wait another 3 weeks before they even get a chance to call in air strikes on exotic new locales. - ship

Best Deal:
Circuit City is offering a free Call of Duty 2 with the purchase of Call of Duty 4: Game of the Year Edition.

:360: Purchase At EB Games $59.99
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free Call of Duty 2 with purchase)

PS2

Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis Dev. Gust Pub. NIS America Systems: PS2 MSRP: $39.99
Now that I've ventured into the Final Fantasy Series, Ship seems to think I should do all the RPG previewing. This RPG is the spiritual sequel to Atelier Iris, but it's Harry Potter-esque game play makes it stand out. The main character, Vayne, is a young alchemist who is training at the Al-Revis Academy. Although it's an RPG, it has a simulation-style gameplay due to it's focus on campus interaction. As you play, you'll enroll for classes that teach different aspects of alchemy, complete homework assignments, and even earn grades. There's still a big focus on synthesis, although less than was found in Atelier Iris. Instead of just mixing and matching the items that Vayne possesses, you must first find recipes for synthesis. There are areas to explore outside of the school, but just like in real life, these field trips must be chaperoned. The fighting is turn-based, the music is Japanese-pop, the graphics are good, and the gameplay is intriguing. And if you needed an extra reason to buy this title, Vayne's mana takes the form of his cat, Sulpher, who follows him where ever he goes. It sounds like it's worth the $40 to me. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Fry's is offering Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis for $35.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Fry's $34.99

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Cruis'n USA Systems: Wii (N64) MSRP: $10
I remember that this was the closest we could get to the great arcade game when this came out for the Nintendo 64. I also remember being greatly dissapointed that this was the closest we could get, but what else could you do if you wanted to play some Cruis'n? So we slogged through some fun multiplayer matches and acted like we didn't know any better, but I don't think I really need to take a trip down memory lane with this boggy and blurry version of a fast and furious racer. - ship

Wonder Boy Systems: Wii (Master System) MSRP: $5
When developer Escape created Wonder Boy, they retained all the rights to the game except the name, the main character, and the bosses: those key elements went to Sega. No problem! They then teamed up with Hudson Soft and gave the little character a hat (I mean, all Clark Kent had was glasses and no one could tell he was Superman!). So, Wonder Boy doesn't just look like Adventure Island, the game IS Adventure Island. I mean, technically Adventure Island IS Wonder Boy, only one is a Master System game and one is a Nintendo title. If you already spent virtual dollars on Adventure Island, there's really no huge reason to buy Wonder Boy. Unless you just really hated Master Higgins' hat. - mrs. ship

Mr. Driller Online Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
The son of Dig Dug's hero has donned his very own pink and baby blue jumpsuit and is ready for some cute, puzzling action on Xbox Live Arcade this week. See how deep you can drill through brightly colored blocks while avoiding being squashed by said blocks or running out of air supply. And nobody should run all out of love, so don't let him be lost without you. This version of the enjoyably frantic puzzler also adds four-player online play so there can be two three less lonely people in the world. And that's how you make previews out of nothing at all. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Hello Shipwreck

I was wondering if CAG Foreplay is on the ZUNE Marketplace

I have searched but did not seem to find it

Lol at Mrs. Ship thinking Lego Indy was Wii only because it was the only version shown in Nintendo Power. Also, I think both of you would enjoy the earlier Pokemon games (pokemon yellow, gold) more because they are less complex to learn.
The later versions tend to add to the already complex game. Still has random battles though.

If I'm not mistaken, you have to play the card game in a tournament to beat someone and do something, to push the story forward.
P.S. I'd play 4, it is much win. You could probably just wait for the DS version though.

I think you have to beat the pilot of the airship, maybe.

For FF9 the jump rope part was much easier by not even looking at the screen and listen to when he lands but regardless it's pointless. You don't even get a card it's just a 'king of jump rope' key item which is useless but this game drove me crazy completely doing everything. Luckily you won't have to worry about that and have a good time. Have fun!

Regarding FF 9 -

Skip the card game.

It's irritating and the cards don't help you in battles.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying FF 9, I really liked Vivi's story, though I'm not surprised you liked the romance parts.

FF 9 is *very* traditional in terms of gameplay so expect to wade through loads and loads of random battles - just a warning.

Out of curiosity, what is Shipwreck's favourite Final Fantasy?

Hi, Ships! Thanks for reading my email on the show! I was the one who wrote in asking about how you all met. I thought it was really entertaining to listen to, so I appreciate you including my question in the new show!

I loved Final Fantasy IX, but I never finished it. I even made it to the final boss, but wasn't powerful enough to defeat him, and didn't feel like spending additional time trying to level up my characters any further. It's one of those times where you devote so much time to a game to begin with (especially a 20-30+ hour Final Fantasy game) and you just get to the point that you just want it to end. Then you realize that while you're at the end, you have to go back and strengthen your characters because, unlike The New Kids on the Block, you're not hangin' tough. If that makes any sense...

I also agree with Ship's original statement of action games on the PSP not being all that great. In fact, I almost think that gaming on the PSP is a joke. It's not that I don't love the PSP, I've owned one since launch. I just happen to like everything about the PSP except for playing games.

I use it as my MP3 player - I love the fact that I can set RSS feeds and have it automatically power on at a certain time each day, check for new podcasts, download them, then power off. That's a fantasic feature!

I don't have to sync it up to any iTunes or Zune software or the PC at all unless I want to load new music. I also like that I can download game demos either via PC or the PS3. I also think that the remote access between the PS3 and PSP, while an extremely novel idea, is pretty damn cool. For example, it's nice to be able to lie in bed before going to sleep while my wife is reading, and be able to stream video from the PS3 to the PSP, which in turn is streaming it from our home desktop, and watch a movie or TV show quietly through headphones without having to actually have the TV on. That, to me, is very cool.

I've owned a PSP since launch, and while there ARE better games than there were a year or two ago, its still not that interesting of a handheld gaming system. I've owned a handful of games, but I guess I'm not in a situation where I'm away from home and the Wii, Xbox 360, or PS3 for an extended period of time.

That's about it for me!

Sorry to repeat this call, but this is the second week that the new releases on Steam were ignored. Last week Ninja Reflex for PC was exclusively released on Steam, while this week Ubisoft dropped FarCry and Splinter Cell to low low prices. There are deals to be had on Steam and I hope that it gets more recognition on CAG.

P.S. all one needs to do is read the feed http://www.steampowered.com/v/new.xml and look for "Now Available"

Great show,
As to cataloging the games you own on the computer have you seen Delicious Library for the Mac. I have been using it for a few years now and has a lot of good geeky features. It uses the isight camera to scan the bar code on the game, to then grab the data from amazon.com to put the information into the data base. It me a lot of time not having to type. It also works for Music , Books and Movies you own. Another of it's useful features is it syncs with your ipod so you can have the information with you while your out shopping. It's saved me a few times from re buying a game I already owned.

Is anyone else as depressed about April and May's release schedule. We have Mario Kart, GTA IV, and not a lot else. Ok, I'm hyped about SNK Arcade, but that's a compilation of 10 year old games...

Personally, I think Ship should preview the upcoming DS Game 'Plushies', as he's given the Mrs. all the "Z" gamez (Bratz, Horsez, Homiez and probably Zebraz).

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Is anyone else as depressed about April and May's release schedule. We have Mario Kart, GTA IV, and not a lot else. Ok, I'm hyped about SNK Arcade, but that's a compilation of 10 year old games...[/quote]

Droughts are not fun times, but why not go back to visit the great games that you may have passed on months/years ago? I know personally, I have a crapload of games that I haven't finished, and I passed on some titles that people enjoyed when they came out, but I never purchased them (Assassin's Creed, CoD4, for example).

Unless you're an enthusiast and buy everything that comes out, then I think that revisiting good games that might be on the cheap now would be a good solution for those down times. And if I'm not mistaken, with its open-world goodness, GTA4 should provide more than a few days worth of entertainment. ;)

If you ARE an enthusiast and buys everything that comes out, the day it comes out, and you still are bored, allow me to respectfully slap you and take your collection of games and play them during the drought. ;)

Great show once again, both of you kept it interesting despite a glaring lack of games. Nice work!

Shipwreck, you mentioned your video game collection database in this and some of the previous podcasts. I think you mentioned what program you used but I couldn't really make it out. Can you give some details on the program you use? I really need something to help me get a better grasp of my collection.

Thanks!

Way to make a great show out of very little (in terms of new releases), guys. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Is anyone else as depressed about April and May's release schedule. We have Mario Kart, GTA IV, and not a lot else. Ok, I'm hyped about SNK Arcade, but that's a compilation of 10 year old games... [/quote]

Man, I'm thankful for it. I just got a 360 and have a stack of games that I haven't had time to even open (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, LEGO SW Complete Saga), and more I've only gotten to play fleetingly that I want to spend more time with (Orange Box, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Zack & Wiki). And that's not even mentioning the DS.

But if you're on top of all of that and have played everything you wanted to and genuinely are hard up for something play, color me impressed.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']Great show,
As to cataloging the games you own on the computer have you seen Delicious Library for the Mac. I have been using it for a few years now and has a lot of good geeky features. It uses the isight camera to scan the bar code on the game, to then grab the data from amazon.com to put the information into the data base. It me a lot of time not having to type. It also works for Music , Books and Movies you own. Another of it's useful features is it syncs with your ipod so you can have the information with you while your out shopping. It's saved me a few times from re buying a game I already owned.[/quote]

When our George Bush "please don't consider my presidency a failure!" check comes in, we plan to buy a Mac and Delicious Library will be one of the first programs I put on there. I've been pining for it for years. The PC doesn't have anything that compares. Can't wait to scan in every DVD, game, and book in my house. ;)

I think there's another Mac-exclusive library program that Ship uses (or used to use) that also looks pretty cool, but the name escapes me at the moment.

EDIT: It's Gamepedia. Hmmm...now I can't decide.

[quote name='Tybee']Way to make a great show out of very little (in terms of new releases), guys. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Man, I'm thankful for it. I just got a 360 and have a stack of games that I haven't had time to even open (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, LEGO SW Complete Saga), and more I've only gotten to play fleetingly that I want to spend more time with (Orange Box, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros. Brawl, Zack & Wiki). And that's not even mentioning the DS.[/QUOTE]

Thank God for Goozex. I have Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, The Darkness, Professor Layton, Kirby Canvas Curse, 2 Phoenix Wrights, Legend of Zelda, plus many more on the way i'll have to complete..

[quote name='Tybee']Way to make a great show out of very little (in terms of new releases), guys. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

When our George Bush "please don't consider my presidency a failure!" check comes in, we plan to buy a Mac and Delicious Library will be one of the first programs I put on there. I've been pining for it for years. The PC doesn't have anything that compares. Can't wait to scan in every DVD, game, and book in my house. ;)

I think there's another Mac-exclusive library program that Ship uses (or used to use) that also looks pretty cool, but the name escapes me at the moment.

EDIT: It's Gamepedia.[/quote]

Ship has Gamepedia AND Delicious Library and all of our games, books, DVDs are in the system. If it has a UPC, it's in there. It is nice to look at it when you want a good older game to play, especially in times like these when there's nothing good to play coming out. I just didn't realize I could search by corny catch-phrase. :D Our tax return check went to Apple TV and a Time Capsule, so we're fully Mac-ified now!

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']Ship has Gamepedia AND Delicious Library and all of our games, books, DVDs are in the system. If it has a UPC, it's in there. It is nice to look at it when you want a good older game to play, especially in times like these when there's nothing good to play coming out. I just didn't realize I could search by corny catch-phrase. :D Our tax return check went to Apple TV and a Time Capsule, so we're fully Mac-ified now![/quote]

Ah, then you are the perfect people to ask: Which is better? (fully expecting you to say both, which is why you USE both, thus prolonging my internal debate)

And yet you still run down to the basement to settle arguments... ;)

BTW, I'm sure Cincinnati seems brutal during pollen season, but trust me when I tell you that it has NOTHING on Atlanta. We pay a price for being "The City in the Trees," and it is an inch of lemon yellow pollen on the ground come spring. See the yellowish tint in my avatar and the bandanas they're wearing over their mouths and noses?

Pollen.

[quote name='Tybee']Ah, then you are the perfect people to ask: Which is better? (fully expecting you to say both, which is why you USE both, thus prolonging my internal debate)

And yet you still run down to the basement to settle arguments... ;)[/QUOTE]

I prefer Gamepedia because Delicious Library tends to bog down when your collections balloon out of control and while it's nice to have one program that handles all your media that leads to it being even more frustrating when it slows down. Both programs are good though, I just prefer the interface and options of Gamepedia a bit more.

I had actually written an article reviewing and comparing the two about a year ago, but I was trying to see if I could get a discount for CAGs on the programs before I posted it. I guess I never heard back, so it never got posted. Maybe I'll see if I still have that write-up and post it at some point. And try to get CAGs a discount.

[quote name='shipwreck']I prefer Gamepedia because Delicious Library tends to bog down when your collections balloon out of control and while it's nice to have one program that handles all your media that leads to it being even more frustrating when it slows down. Both programs are good though, I just prefer the interface and options of Gamepedia a bit more.

I had actually written an article reviewing and comparing the two about a year ago, but I was trying to see if I could get a discount for CAGs on the programs before I posted it. I guess I never heard back, so it never got posted. Maybe I'll see if I still have that write-up and post it at some point. And try to get CAGs a discount.[/quote]

As much as the wife wants a macbook, I'm not sure its in the cards anytime soon, is there anything comparable for the PC?

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']As much as the wife wants a macbook, I'm not sure its in the cards anytime soon, is there anything comparable for the PC?[/QUOTE]

Maybe try MediaMan (a Delicious Library clone) or Collectorz? I haven't heard quite as positive reviews about either, but I've never messed with them.

[quote name='shipwreck']I prefer Gamepedia because Delicious Library tends to bog down when your collections balloon out of control and while it's nice to have one program that handles all your media that leads to it being even more frustrating when it slows down. Both programs are good though, I just prefer the interface and options of Gamepedia a bit more.

I had actually written an article reviewing and comparing the two about a year ago, but I was trying to see if I could get a discount for CAGs on the programs before I posted it. I guess I never heard back, so it never got posted. Maybe I'll see if I still have that write-up and post it at some point. And try to get CAGs a discount.[/quote]

Would love to see it, with or without an associated discount. I'm sure a lot of CAGs are facing a similar conundrum. But thanks for the quick and dirty summation. :)

[quote name='shipwreck']Maybe try MediaMan (a Delicious Library clone) or Collectorz? I haven't heard quite as positive reviews about either, but I've never messed with them.[/quote]

Thanks, I will check those out. The excel spreadsheet just isn't cutting it any longer.

Hmmm, Collectorz... is that made by the same company that makes all those great games like Horsez?

[quote name='TripMasterMunky']"...like Ross on Friends!" - Mrs. Shipwreck

XD![/QUOTE]

I didn't watch Friends so is that a good or a bad thing?

GameStop is the exclusive carrier for Rafa Nadal Tennis, but doesn't sell the excellent Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. And the sad thing? Rafa Nadal Tennis will probably sell more copies than Pinball Williams.

I was the same way in high school as you, Shipwreck. I mostly stopped gaming, but got back in during my college years. Having more time and some money will help that way. So I missed most of the later Sega Genesis games, but got back in during the beginning of the PSX era.

Hi Ships. Great show, despite the lack of games. I am glad you are enjoying FF9 Mrs. Ship. Thanks for the shout outs on the show. I was on the bus while listening and laughed out loud upon hearing my name mentioned. Everyone on the bus just stopped what they were doing turned around and either gave me a blank look or rolled their eyes. A baby cried. It was magical.

If you play one mini game in FF9, make it the Chocobo game. It may get frustrating after awhile, but the rewards are well worth it. It is not quite the 'reward overload' like Crisis Core. The rewards scale well throughout the game if you go out and do whatever digs you can do as soon as you get them.

Have fun guys and thanks for another great show.

Despite the previous flack that it got in the last weeks threads, FFXII was really fantastic. I was very suprised at how well the game was done compared to X-2. But 9 and 6 (3) were the best. Albeit 10 was pretty good till about half way through and Tidus wining drives me insane.

I just wanted to thank you guys for considering Gamepedia and giving it a try. Definitely the best choice for any serious Mac gamer.

I was trying to see if I could get a discount for CAGs on the programs before I posted it.

Unfortunately your email never reached us; our standing policy is spreading the joy and even free serial numbers for reviewers. To rectify that here is a coupon for all CAGs for the month of April. Enter "CHEAPASSGAMER" in the coupon field for 10% off Gamepedia.

[quote name='Conor']I just wanted to thank you guys for considering Gamepedia and giving it a try. Definitely the best choice for any serious Mac gamer.

Unfortunately your email never reached us; our standing policy is spreading the joy and even free serial numbers for reviewers. To rectify that here is a coupon for all CAGs for the month of April. Enter "CHEAPASSGAMER" in the coupon field for 10% off Gamepedia.[/QUOTE]

hopefully you can create a Windows version soon.

Great podcast again. You two get me through my work day. I used to work for gamestop and I can say that yes most of our exclusives are pretty much horrible, however I do know of one gem, which Wombat recommended on the CAGcast which is Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery, which was a great strategy game.

Shipwreck, I would have to say that Ninja Gaiden DS is definitely worth a purchase, it controls great, great combat, and it is Ninja Gaiden!

Mrs. Shipwreck I can't wait to play some carcassonne on live.

[quote name='Conor']Will be making a iPhone version, so it's almost like a PC version, since you can use an iPhone with a PC.[/quote]

I don't have either.. I'm looking for a PC version

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I didn't watch Friends so is that a good or a bad thing?[/quote]

Neither, just a funny comment/reference made to Friends lol.

And I 2nd, that Ninja Gaiden DS is awesome. Controls really make it fresh and it's a lot of fun to play. I beat it in 6hrs, but it tempts you to play through again with unlockables and all that.

And I just have an outline on Word with my game collection :p

Shippy, search by catch phrase??? WTF? lol...i'm not laughing at you, i swear!

btw, glad to hear mrs. shippy got into FF9. it's a very underrated FF game in the series from the fanboys cuz of the art style. i loved it and it has a satisfying story and ending.

Great podcast again. You two get me through my work day. I used to work for gamestop and I can say that yes most of our exclusives are pretty much horrible, however I do know of one gem, which Wombat recommended on the CAGcast which is Anno 1701: Dawn of Discovery, which was a great strategy game.

Shipwreck, I would have to say that Ninja Gaiden DS is definitely worth a purchase, it controls great, great combat, and it is Ninja Gaiden!

Mrs. Shipwreck I can't wait to play some carcassonne on live.

[quote name='Conor']Will be making a iPhone version, so it's almost like a PC version, since you can use an iPhone with a PC.[/quote]

I don't have either.. I'm looking for a PC version

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I didn't watch Friends so is that a good or a bad thing?[/quote]

Neither, just a funny comment/reference made to Friends lol.

And I 2nd, that Ninja Gaiden DS is awesome. Controls really make it fresh and it's a lot of fun to play. I beat it in 6hrs, but it tempts you to play through again with unlockables and all that.

And I just have an outline on Word with my game collection :p

Shippy, search by catch phrase??? WTF? lol...i'm not laughing at you, i swear!

btw, glad to hear mrs. shippy got into FF9. it's a very underrated FF game in the series from the fanboys cuz of the art style. i loved it and it has a satisfying story and ending.

Great show, guys, even without too many new releases to talk about!!!

I really laughed at the comparison of Final Fantasy to Pokemon with regards to the random battles. As much as I love JRPG's in general, random battles tend to drive me bonkers, especially if I'm trying to get from point A to point B in a limited amount of time. I'm glad you're enjoying FFIX, as others have said, ignore the card game. The wait mode is nice, especially if you really want to strategize/think. Why did you use the guide, instead of GameFAQs?
I'm with Ship, I'm chugging through FFVII:CC, but because I've done so many of the missions, the main story line is pretty easy to breeze through. I do like the side-quest/mission stuff, it makes the game digestable in small parts if you only have short periods of time to play. Stupid stealth mission...I don't know anybody who has liked that part, including me. What a lousy addition.

The story of how you guys met is so cute!! I really wish I could find a gaming guy. I haven't been able to find him at work, though. Maybe we need a CAG version of match.com or something. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on Mana Khamia, I hadn't heard of it before, but while listening, I ended up ordering it from amazon.com. I don't know quite when I'll get to playing it, but it'll be nice to have in my collection.

This show really makes bad days at work better, I'm glad you guys still seem to be digging it. :)

/tk

Awesome show guys,
My wife-to-be and I also met when we were back in High School, she was my prom date :) We've been together for over 12 years and will be finally tying the knot this October. She actually bought me my first serious game system, PS1, for birthday (I had a Turbo Graphix and Gameboy). I have turned her to gaming and we play FPS together (Halo, Gears, etc), and she plays mainly puzzle games on her own. We did get really addicted to WoW for about 2 years and finally stopped after we started spending over 30hrs a week playing.
BTW we also just recently convert to a all Mac family (MBP, MB, iMac + time capsule), do you recommend Gamepedia or Delicious if I want to put both books, games and DVDs into a single database? We are moving soon and it might come in handy for moving / renters insurance purpose. Also what podcast/tv shows you subscribed to on your Apple TV. I have recently bought and returned our AppleTV and decided to stick with Netflix for few more months.
Once again, Just want to thank you guys for brightening my day every week.
-Shadowgram

I try my best to check to see if anyone is on Carcassonne's multiplayer each time I sit down to play XBLA games. I really enjoyed this week's show, despite the lack of gaming industry news. Your story about first meeting seems pulled right from the storybook.

I looked up Gamepedia after Ship mentioned it... I don't particularly like Macs (probably just cause I'm not used to them), but that made me jealous ;)

The thought of cataloging all of my media sounds amazingly fun, but then I have a thing for making lists...

Yes, I know I'm a geek...

I just got my copy of Double Sequence from Amazon yesterday. The first puzzle is a breeze. Then I messed around with the "recharge" game. They're timed and I hate them. Documentation on how to travel around and clear levels is really poor. Then I played level 2. Blargh!

Not only is it really difficult to figure out what to do, but when you grasp the concept of rotating and swapping, you discover there is odd/even PARITY. Argh blargh! The only thing I can say is that we're lucky the individual puzzle levels are not time-limited.

Just wanted to let everyone know that this week's show may be a little late or even combined into next week's show. We were planning to record tonight, but the fact that I am absolutely exhausted from not being able to sleep after watching that Memphis game combined with Mrs. Ship being caught up at work, has kind of delayed things a little.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just wanted to let everyone know that this week's show may be a little late or even combined into next week's show. We were planning to record tonight, but the fact that I am absolutely exhausted from not being able to sleep after watching that Memphis game combined with Mrs. Ship being caught up at work, has kind of delayed things a little.[/quote]

Understandable. As I was watching last night, all I could think was "Damn, Ship must be having a fit right now." I actually picked Memphis to win it all in your honor (and because it seemed as good a metric as any), and they were the only one of my picks to make it to the final four. Sucks they couldn't close the deal, but they certainly had an amazing run. I think Kansas knows they got very VERY lucky. So don't take it too hard.

bread's done
Back