FedEx, UPS... and apartment buildings.

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
PACKAGES GET! See post 17.

Like many college students, I live in an apartment. I'm not in very often as I have classes and this/that to do.

But over this week, I've had my fair share of headaches (and it's probably not even over yet) with FedEx and UPS and, to an extent, my neighbor, and stupid ass Ebay seller.

I had two packages coming from UPS on the 1st... the guy decides to leave them with my neighbor. Not a big deal... except that in the 6 months I've been living here, I have not once seen this guy. I've been trying since then to get my packages but it seems like he's never home (or he's hiding). The items in question aren't valuable ($30 total- two separate packages, one from Amazon and one from Staples).

And now, this is even better, FedEx delivered a package yesterday. And since no signature was required... he decided to leave it at the front door (of the building or my apartment, I don't know). Seriously? He thought it was safe to leave a package unguarded at an apartment building... with tons of drunkards roaming around during the nights/weekends? This one again isn't a huge loss ($21) but I asked the seller to let me know the tracking number (twice, on the 1st and again on the 3rd) and he only lets me know today. Else, I could've asked FedEx to hold it for me.

I left school Thursday night as I'm visiting home for the weekend.. and have no idea idea if I'll get any of my 3 packages. I'm going back tomorrow and hoping for the best (and expecting the worst).

Sorry, just needed to vent... I'm amazed and these companies' stupidity. USPS just leaves a note asking me to pick up my package, never figured UPS and FedEx would be this careless.

I'm not sure you posted this in the right section.. Either way, that sucks. I've had UPS/FedEx leave packages of mine with the apartment manager, but never with a faceless neighbor, or just lying around. Maybe you should call and complain..

As a UPS driver, I do this all the time. With 130 stops to be completed in an 8 hour shift I want to be able to be done with the stop as quickly as possible. I definately dont want to take it back with me and add it on to the next days load. I never leave a package w a neighbor but we are instructed to do that.

[quote name='DAWG26']As a UPS driver, I do this all the time. With 130 stops to be completed in an 8 hour shift I want to be able to be done with the stop as quickly as possible. I definately dont want to take it back with me and add it on to the next days load. I never leave a package w a neighbor but we are instructed to do that.[/quote]

So basically you are saying you do not want to do your job like your supposed to... hmmm wondering what your supervisor would think.

[quote name='DAWG26']As a UPS driver, I do this all the time. With 130 stops to be completed in an 8 hour shift I want to be able to be done with the stop as quickly as possible. I definately dont want to take it back with me and add it on to the next days load. I never leave a package w a neighbor but we are instructed to do that.[/quote]

uhh wrong.

[quote name='Derrick1979']So basically you are saying you do not want to do your job like your supposed to... hmmm wondering what your supervisor would think.[/quote]

the supervisor probably wont care as long as the route is getting done on time...I know with the post office i have my route and a piece of another route most of the time...maybe about 500-550 total deliveries and we have to back before 5 or the shit hits the fan...

oh and i never leave packages outside the actual apartment building but if i can get inside then i will leave it in front of your door unless i need a signature...if i was in a bad area then i would probably rethink it but none of my areas are that bad

FedEx mistakenly left my replacement Les Paul controller with a neighbor with the same last name. He wasn't home, so they left the door tag and he attempted to pick it up at the FedEx hub later that evening. Upon seeing who it was actually for, he refused it because he had no idea who I was.

How FedEx let someone refuse a package that wasn't addressed to them is beyond me.

I've been trying to figure this out, but is there any way to have UPS automatically hold packages and just leave the sticker on your door? I work evenings, and my delivery time is always 7-ish pm. Then I can't call until the next day to have them hold it, so I got an additional day without the items. My driver is great (especially considering the crap I've put him through with the big shit recently), but unfortunately I'm just at a bad point in the route.

I use to have this problem as well.
I live in an apartment .... ACROSS the street from my college.
Yes ... my door is in plain view of college students walking by everyday to class.... yea my packages will definitely be safe right?

So what i did ... after one of my packages was stolen that is, was put up a big ass notice on my door.
Written with a black sharpie on copy paper on my door.
Its kinda a eye sore but i dont really keep it up unless i know a package is coming.
basically all it saids is;

" To USPS/UPS/FEDEX: Hi, if i am not home please DO NOT leave any packages at my doorsteps. Again I DO NOT Authorize for you to leave any packages at my doorsteps unattended. Please leave a notice or leave the package with my landlord in the main office.

I am sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused, Thank you."

Make sure you BOLD the DO NOT parts.

And after I've been doing that i haven't had any problems.
I do understand them leaving it on doorsteps just like DAWG26 said.
Everyone slacks a little at their job or tried to make shit easier on themselves regardless of what job it is.
Its unfortunate but true.
But as a customer and a person that wants to protect their possessions you just have to watch your own ass and make these guys work a little harder.

I guess you can also call into USPS/UPS/FEDEX etc and tell them you to make sure none of the carriers leave a package at your door But i think the note does a better job because it makes sure the carrier knows you F-ing mean business.

[quote name='Jedi1979']the supervisor probably wont care as long as the route is getting done on time...I know with the post office i have my route and a piece of another route most of the time...maybe about 500-550 total deliveries and we have to back before 5 or the shit hits the fan...

oh and i never leave packages outside the actual apartment building but if i can get inside then i will leave it in front of your door unless i need a signature...if i was in a bad area then i would probably rethink it but none of my areas are that bad[/quote]

Ok thats fine and all and someone will say well it needs to be delivered and if it gets there it has been and the rest is up to that person recieving it. Think of it this way though i know you have a job and at times the time frame may be tight but when your on the other side of the fence and waiting for something would you like it if the delivery company no matter who just tossed the box outside or left it with a stranger?

When I lived in the 4 family apartment unit things came all the time and seeing I worked nights and everyone else worked days we all had an agreement that the companies could leave it with me and I would leave a note on thier door and they could get it when they got home because my fiance was home by then.. It all worked out and FED EX or anyone that delivers never left it outside they would leave a note if anything. This new place im in now the pricks just leave it outside without even trying to see if anyones home and alot of times it gets weather damaged or like now no one is around from 12:30pm until like 7pm so it could get stolen. That type of service pisses me off especially when your paying sometimes alot more to have specific means of delivery.

Fedex guy tossed a package over my backyard fence once and didn't even leave a note. I only thought to look for it because the tracking info said it had been delivered.

Dude - at apartment buildings you are supposed to leave them with the apartment office/manager and leave a note on the door if the end receiver is not home.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Dude - at apartment buildings you are supposed to leave them with the apartment office/manager and leave a note on the door if the end receiver is not home.[/quote]

No actually that can not always be done and many apt. offices will not accept packages.
As one member noted above, Leave a note on your door (attractive? no effective? yes). It leaves nothing to the interpretation of what is "'safe" to a driver.
You can also ask your shipper to have the package "held" at the nearest station, with FedEx you could then pick it up on a Sat.

[quote name='Surferflames']I've been trying to figure this out, but is there any way to have UPS automatically hold packages and just leave the sticker on your door?[/quote]

From what I've been told, the only way to get them to hold packages is to personally go to the facility where the trucks loaded up for the day. You pretty much have to do that to get them to hold it(which is ridiculous).

[quote name='tangytangerine']From what I've been told, the only way to get them to hold packages is to personally go to the facility where the trucks loaded up for the day. You pretty much have to do that to get them to hold it(which is ridiculous).[/quote]

Call before you make the trip.
There is no way for the reloaders in the a.m. to know which addresses are hold at station only. But you can ask the shipper to ship it hold at station. In this case you will need to have the tracking number to be able to tell when it is at the station.

Well, I was able to get all of my packages... I was able to catch my neighbor just as he was leaving and got the two UPS packages- the guy was pretty cool about me taking so long.

As for the FedEx package... it was tampered with, sorta. I walk up to my door and see it just sitting there wide opened. I'm guessing someone took it, opened it, saw that it was some useless guides, and returned it. Everything's there so I'm not pulling out my hair.

Some people are such lowlifes.:roll:

You think the OP's problem is bad, how about this thing which happened to a relative of mine.

They buy and sell houses all the time and sold a house for a good chunk of change and were expecting a check for the sale to show up at their house. The check was delivered next door by DHL, who left it between the neighbor's screen door and their front door.

Somehow, it ended up blowing around on the side of my relatives house, still in it's nice red and yellow DHL envelope. They DID eventually get it though.

As for me, I've had big packages left without so much as a cautionary ring of my doorbell, like when I won the only auction I've ever won from ShopGoodwill. The package itself had to weigh around 25-30 lbs with all of the packing material and it was just dumped on my front porch and the mail carrier left.

I've had the same happen when they were delivering guides that I'd traded other CAGs for.

I mean, how about a little courtesy doorbell ring, to see if anyone is home and to alert them to the package on the front steps?

put a note on your door for them to leave with the office. I work for an apartment complex. YOu wouldn't believe how many people come in upset that they had a package left at their door and it was stolen. They allways come to the office like it was the offices fault. We had poeple walk up the stairs and grab packages outside their doors and just walk right into their own apartment with the box. thats how long it takes. two seconds to pick it up and just keep walking. I would never let ups or fedex leave something at my door. If I knew something was coming put a note out with a magnet on the door saying your home sick with the flu and please leave the package at the office.

Not for nothing, but if any of you were working for a shipping company, you'd do the same thing. These guys mostly do the best they can. Are there some overly crappy delivery men? Sure...just like there are crappy everything else in this world. For the most part, though, they do what they can. You can't expect them to spend more than a minute or two on your particular package. They have a ton of stops to make during the day.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']put a note on your door for them to leave with the office. I work for an apartment complex. YOu wouldn't believe how many people come in upset that they had a package left at their door and it was stolen. They allways come to the office like it was the offices fault. We had poeple walk up the stairs and grab packages outside their doors and just walk right into their own apartment with the box. thats how long it takes. two seconds to pick it up and just keep walking. I would never let ups or fedex leave something at my door. If I knew something was coming put a note out with a magnet on the door saying your home sick with the flu and please leave the package at the office.[/quote]

That's great your complex will accept tenants packages at the office but Many will not. Many of these complexes are huge. The driver is not allowed time to park, lock up, go to the unit (sometimes a few flights), read a note, drive to the office, lock up, and hope an office staff member will accept....many will be disappointed if they think this will or should happen.

Well, I was able to get all of my packages... I was able to catch my neighbor just as he was leaving and got the two UPS packages- the guy was pretty cool about me taking so long.

As for the FedEx package... it was tampered with, sorta. I walk up to my door and see it just sitting there wide opened. I'm guessing someone took it, opened it, saw that it was some useless guides, and returned it. Everything's there so I'm not pulling out my hair.

Some people are such lowlifes.:roll:

You think the OP's problem is bad, how about this thing which happened to a relative of mine.

They buy and sell houses all the time and sold a house for a good chunk of change and were expecting a check for the sale to show up at their house. The check was delivered next door by DHL, who left it between the neighbor's screen door and their front door.

Somehow, it ended up blowing around on the side of my relatives house, still in it's nice red and yellow DHL envelope. They DID eventually get it though.

As for me, I've had big packages left without so much as a cautionary ring of my doorbell, like when I won the only auction I've ever won from ShopGoodwill. The package itself had to weigh around 25-30 lbs with all of the packing material and it was just dumped on my front porch and the mail carrier left.

I've had the same happen when they were delivering guides that I'd traded other CAGs for.

I mean, how about a little courtesy doorbell ring, to see if anyone is home and to alert them to the package on the front steps?

put a note on your door for them to leave with the office. I work for an apartment complex. YOu wouldn't believe how many people come in upset that they had a package left at their door and it was stolen. They allways come to the office like it was the offices fault. We had poeple walk up the stairs and grab packages outside their doors and just walk right into their own apartment with the box. thats how long it takes. two seconds to pick it up and just keep walking. I would never let ups or fedex leave something at my door. If I knew something was coming put a note out with a magnet on the door saying your home sick with the flu and please leave the package at the office.

Not for nothing, but if any of you were working for a shipping company, you'd do the same thing. These guys mostly do the best they can. Are there some overly crappy delivery men? Sure...just like there are crappy everything else in this world. For the most part, though, they do what they can. You can't expect them to spend more than a minute or two on your particular package. They have a ton of stops to make during the day.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']put a note on your door for them to leave with the office. I work for an apartment complex. YOu wouldn't believe how many people come in upset that they had a package left at their door and it was stolen. They allways come to the office like it was the offices fault. We had poeple walk up the stairs and grab packages outside their doors and just walk right into their own apartment with the box. thats how long it takes. two seconds to pick it up and just keep walking. I would never let ups or fedex leave something at my door. If I knew something was coming put a note out with a magnet on the door saying your home sick with the flu and please leave the package at the office.[/quote]

That's great your complex will accept tenants packages at the office but Many will not. Many of these complexes are huge. The driver is not allowed time to park, lock up, go to the unit (sometimes a few flights), read a note, drive to the office, lock up, and hope an office staff member will accept....many will be disappointed if they think this will or should happen.

bread's done
Back