Component Cables found at my local GS

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Today I came across a used component cable at a local Gamestop. Hooray! Actually, I don't have a TV that takes component inputs yet, but eventually I will. When you see this cable for $5 you have to buy it. I mention this as perhaps a new supply of used cables is upon us at GS? It might be worth taking a look at your local GS.

Edit: in the title I accidentally said "GC" - I changed it to "GS" (Gamestop).

[quote name='dallow']I'd sell them and use the money towards a Wii.[/QUOTE]

That costs a bit more than $5, it won't work with the Gameboy Player and you can't local network Wii's, so no local network Mario Kart Double Dash, Kirby Air Ride and 1080 Avalanche. That's all cool stuff I still want to be able to do. Not to mention that it would be a long, long time before I could own two Wii's, and my two kids are often playing different games at the same time. So, yeah, I want to keep our Gamecubes even if I ever get a Wii.

[quote name='dallow']GC component cables don't sell for $5 on ebay.

Just fyi.[/QUOTE]

I think the OP is in for a shock...

No, I realize what they sell for on ebay. If sell it on ebay and get, let's say, $60 for it. Take out the ebay profits and you end with, what, $50, that leaves me with $200 left to pay on a Wii and I'd paid $5 for the GC component cable, so I'd be paying $205. I'd say that is quite a bit more than $5. Sure, I'd like to have a Wii, but I can't afford that right now and in any case I'd still want to keep my GC and still want to be able to hook it up via component once I get an HDTV.

Yeah but component inputs on an SDTV are not the same as component inputs on the HDTV as the HDTV will give you the 480p output, the whole reason for getting the really rare GC component cables in the first place. SDTV can't do progressive scan output.

Component cables on SDTV will just improve the picture quality, although honestly with most modern CRT TVs as long as they are not too big, component video cables arent THAT much better than composite cables. On my 14" there would be practically no difference. My cousin's 32" Sony CRT TV which was kinda old already, we hooked up his xbox using composite and component, and it looked nearly the same too.

Ruahrc

[quote name='dallow']There are SDTVs with component inputs that do 480p.
Also, it was a joke for me to even suggest that.[/QUOTE]

If it can display 480p it can't possibly be an SDTV. 480p is ED, so any TV capable of displaying is at least an EDTV.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Component cables on SDTV will just improve the picture quality, although honestly with most modern CRT TVs as long as they are not too big, component video cables arent THAT much better than composite cables. On my 14" there would be practically no difference. My cousin's 32" Sony CRT TV which was kinda old already, we hooked up his xbox using composite and component, and it looked nearly the same too.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I think there's a big difference between component and composite even in SD, but SD component is barely better than S-Video and those cables are cheap.

Nice find OP. What is it I see people here write? Oh, "Do want."

Which is stupid: My Wii has component cables, and it's the only E/HDTV I own...so I wouldn't use them til maybe someday when I have another decent TV. But if I found them for $5 I would bite too. Enjoy!

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Personally I think there's a big difference between component and composite even in SD, but SD component is barely better than S-Video and those cables are cheap.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it can vary according to the TV. My friend's TV we tried upgrading from composite to component and it was unbelievable. But when we tried it on my cousin's TV, the difference was hardly visible at all!

Ruahrc

Today I found another $5 used component cable at another GS. Either I'm really, really lucky, or more of these are becoming available. I'm going to give this one my nephews.

damnit.. i dont think ill ever find these cables :(

i tried putting on the gamecube this weekend and it was sooo unplayable.. i need component! lol

The difference with TVs is amazing. I've gone from composite to component on two TVs... both Sony, both CRT SDTVs, one a 5 year-old 32", the other a (now) year old 27".

32"? The upgrade didn't really look much different from S-video.

27"? Night and fucking day. I've got 12 systems hooked up to that TV and, trust me, there's a HUGE difference between the composite and component inputs, and even the S-video and component.

So, yeah, even with SDTVs, there can be a gigantic difference, provided that you have a newer one. That, and let's be fair... chances are fairly good that if anyone buys a new TV in the next few years that it'll be HD anyway, so having the cables is good.

Regardless, nice grab OP, I grabbed my GC set from GS while I was in Chicago. Kept checking the online inventory before I went, showed up... not there. Luckily, I had a competent and helpful employee who checked in the back and, low and behold, one nice set of GC component cables for $4.99. Apparently *they* didn't even know they had them.

Unless there is a new sku number, you can no longer look up the availability on their web site. The old SKU (900572) now turns up a "page not found" page. I found mine just by going to a store and looking to see if they had them. I found two this way in recent times, having only looked at a total of 3 stores, one time each. I guess I was just lucky.

Oh, yeah. I didn't preface it, but my story was back around October.

I miss that damn locator, though, since now, like you said, it's really hit or miss and going into the store. Without the locator, I never would've gotten mine. It's odd, though, that they'd get rid of things online that they still have in the system. Recently, I was annoyed that they got rid of all the GBC listings on the site, since there were a few I checked everyday to see if they were around.

Hmm... interesting. How'd you find that, if you don't mind me asking? There's a few things I'm looking for and I'm curious to see if they're still on the site *somewhere*.

From my zip, there are definitely two hits coming up, but both are close to 100 miles away. Essentially, these are fairly accurate, but with how old these are, they may not be on the floor.

I'm perplexed as to why it says GC/N64, though, since the 64 part makes the kind of sense that doesn't. At all.

[quote name='007']Hmm... interesting. How'd you find that, if you don't mind me asking? There's a few things I'm looking for and I'm curious to see if they're still on the site *somewhere*.

I'm perplexed as to why it says GC/N64, though, since the 64 part makes the kind of sense that doesn't. At all.[/quote]
I just did a search for "component" and then clicked "show backordered used products" at the bottom, and they came up. I'd imagine that the N64 is just a typo. Unfortunately, there are none around here in stock. :whistle2:(

CRAP... I hate inept GS employees... I "found" the package in the store marked GCN component cables... turned out to be some 4 way GBA link cable... maybe I will get lucky at the other store in the area with it... if they really have it

That's weird - I've tried the same exact search, showed unavailable items and that listing doesn't show up for me.

EDIT: sure enough, it works now. Perhaps when I last tried it they didn't have it moved to the new website or database yet.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's weird - I've tried the same exact search, showed unavailable items and that listing doesn't show up for me.

EDIT: sure enough, it works now. Perhaps when I last tried it they didn't have it moved to the new website or database yet.[/quote]

That's why I asked the OP how he found it, because before the move to the new site, the GC component page *definitely* wasn't there. Even back in October when I was looking for them, you had to sort of get to the page through the backdoor of knowing the item number, it wouldn't pop up on the search.

Interesting, I wonder if this means we'll get more items that had been previously removed. :whistle2:k

[quote name='zman73']CRAP... I hate inept GS employees... I "found" the package in the store marked GCN component cables... turned out to be some 4 way GBA link cable... maybe I will get lucky at the other store in the area with it... if they really have it[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid something like this is going to happen to me too. I called up a nearby store that said it had them in stock and the guy went to check and said yeah they had them for $5. I wasn't able to get to the store before it closed today so I am going to go tomorrow morning, hopefully it's really what it says or if he didn't mistake "component" for "composite" which people do all the time.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Ruahrc']I'm afraid something like this is going to happen to me too. I called up a nearby store that said it had them in stock and the guy went to check and said yeah they had them for $5. I wasn't able to get to the store before it closed today so I am going to go tomorrow morning, hopefully it's really what it says or if he didn't mistake "component" for "composite" which people do all the time.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call ahead. They might know these cables sell for a lot on ebay and so then buy it for themselves. It's better to have employees who are ignorant of what's in their inventory when it comes to valuable items on the cheap. :)

Not a bad rake, went to the store I called yesterday and they had it! Looks to be the official Nintendo cable (was there ever a 3rd party Component Cable?) and got it for $5. The GS website showed 3 stores all with it in stock and within maybe 10 miles of each other, so I went on a spree and hit up all of them. Unfortunately the only store that had them was the first store. I would have picked them up for sure! Honestly I wonder if any GS employee doesn't realize that they have them in stock, then someone walks in and asks for it and they check and see that they have it, then just go out and tell them that it's outof stock and then just picks up the cable for themselves. I dunno I guess it's sad that I even think of this when referring to GS employees because I wouldn't put it past them- although the ones I talked to today on my hunt were all pretty nice (to my face at least).

Thanks for the tip OP, too bad I don't have an HDTV to try out progressive scan but now if I ever upgrade to an HDTV I'll be prepared!

P.S. At the store where they still had it in stock, it was behind the counter in a locked cabinet of accessories. So if I had gone into the store without knowing it was in stock then I would have thought the store didn't have it either. So make sure you do a thourough check and then ask the employee too.

Ruahrc

P.P.S. Just tried these cables out on my 14" SDTV, and even with that text and edges are noticeably sharper. I was surprised at the difference, wow! I'm gonna have to take this thing over to my friend's house where he's got an HDTV and try out progressive scan mode.

I stopped by one of the stores listed as having the cable and they didn't have it. I looked everywhere that they had uses stuff, though there was some additional used stuff behind the counter. I asked if they had it in stock, noting that the web page said they had one, and the guy said they didn't and claimed that the web inventory only updates when they do an inventory, which he claimed was at least a month ago. I don't know, maybe it did show up as in stock and the guy just wanted it for himself. Maybe not though. I'm not sure I trust their online inventory either....

[quote name='crunchewy']I stopped by one of the stores listed as having the cable and they didn't have it. I looked everywhere that they had uses stuff, though there was some additional used stuff behind the counter. I asked if they had it in stock, noting that the web page said they had one, and the guy said they didn't and claimed that the web inventory only updates when they do an inventory, which he claimed was at least a month ago. I don't know, maybe it did show up as in stock and the guy just wanted it for himself. Maybe not though. I'm not sure I trust their online inventory either....[/quote]

See, I've always found the online locator to actually be fairly reliable. The only reason that it *should* be wrong is if someone bought the item before you THAT DAY, it 'walked off', or they incorrectly marked an item (like an above poster said, the GC component sticker on the wrong product).

The site inventory updates every morning, so if something gets sold, the availability number won't disappear until the next day, but it's accurate otherwise.

So, from my expierience, if there's something you've been keeping an eye on, it's one of the above three explanations, or the employee is just too lazy to look. The 'only updates after monthly inventory' excuse you got was BS, plain and simple. If that were true, the online inventory would always be a month out of date, so what would be the point in even having it?

However, the location is still shown as having the cable, yet at the store the guy claimed that it wasn't in their inventory on their computer. Either they don't have it in their computer and the web page inventory is wrong or outdated, or they do have it in their inventory and the guy did the search wrong. At some point I'll go back and ask again when it's someone else.

Digging up this thread because I am looking for a cable... but GS only has some about like 300 miles away... :(

I know they go for like insane amounts on ebay... but I am hoping ... praying... that a cag out there shows some pity and actually picks up one at GS and sets a fair amount and sell it to me.

I just want to play my gba games in 480....

Nice find. I found my Monster PS3 Component cables (and optical cable) at GS too. They were less than $15 (I think maybe even $10). Obviously your find is much better, but I was still excited to find them.

[quote name='007']Hmm... interesting. How'd you find that, if you don't mind me asking? There's a few things I'm looking for and I'm curious to see if they're still on the site *somewhere*.

From my zip, there are definitely two hits coming up, but both are close to 100 miles away. Essentially, these are fairly accurate, but with how old these are, they may not be on the floor.

I'm perplexed as to why it says GC/N64, though, since the 64 part makes the kind of sense that doesn't. At all.[/quote]

I found a set some listed as the component cables from the above link but they were actually a set of psyclone s-video cables which fit into the same av port as the normal cables. This would allow them to work with the n64 as well and might explain the site listing them as GC/N64.

I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to take advantage of the higher quality video port on my gc but the s-video cables are probably a step up from the basic av.

I am one lucky SOB! Found a pair this morning at Oakridge Mall in San Jose, CA!

Thought I take a shot and try the search function again, then noticed the results turned up the same as last time, so it must of been cached. Try a nearby zip code and whoa-la!

Called the store first to verifiy, they said yup, in fact two in-stock on Sunday but someone already bought one so there's just one left. I asked for it to be on-hold for me while I drove down to the store.

On the way down, I kept thinking it'll just be another set of composites labeled incorrectly as components so I shouldn't get too excited. Lo'and behold, they were original brand Nintendo component cables. It'd felt like finding that first piece of triforce in Legend of Zelda again!

The in-store part number for lookup is # 900572 for those interested. The used set I picked up was traded-in nine days ago on 06-01-2008.

Thanks OP, and thanks PixelChief for the link!

As more people move on from the cube I guess it makes sense. I've looked but never seen them in gamestops here. Lucked out and got them on ebay for 20

bread's done
Back