Redbox is my new favorite rental location

Poor2More

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
www.redbox.com

They have vending machines in thousands of locations around the United States (Mcdonalds, walmart, Farmfresh) movies are only $1 a night, they have most new releases. I rented over 10 movies in the past 3 weeks, and paid for none, due to frequent promo codes for one free rental. Anybody else use redbox for their rental needs?

I've grown to love Redbox as well - their DVDs aren't scratched to Hell and back (something I can't say about Blockbuster), and it's incredibly convenient due to how many locations they have. My only major complaint is that the cursor for the Redbox rental machines is sometimes hard to control due to wear and tear, but otherwise, I love it.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']Do they carry blu-ray?[/quote]
no not yet, but this method of rental is sooooo cheap, I watch so many movies and havent paid a dime

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']They also were just hit with a series of credit card skimmers. Looks like they handled it pretty well though.

Yep they handled it really well, These credit card SKIMMERS are VERY easy to notice, they have a few good pics of them as example on redbox.com

Redbox is owned by Mcdonalds and Coinstar according to the site, nice to know they have alot of finacial backing

Nothing like after a hard day of work on your way home you swing by and rent a movie in less then 30 seconds, or you can have them reserved for you using their online site, so you can just pick it up sometime that day without having to worried of the new release being all checked out

Here I come

Their will be Blood DVD

Redbox is the best place to rent DVDs. If anyone needs promo codes go to insideredbox.com. You can type in your city and It shows you which codes work at your location. Very Nice!

I used it one and was happy although the machine was out of order when I wanted to return it, and the next closest place that should have had one was closed. I called and they told me to just return it the next day when the machine would be fixed and they would credit my account which they did.
That website with promos will come in handy when I have some free time this summer

I've used them a couple of times. I found them just to be alright. This was before I had known they had promo codes. That just sweetens the deal. Still, I get to see plenty of films in theatres so I don't have too many new releases that I've missed. Also, I a member of Hollywood Video MVP program. Basically I wait 2-3 weeks and then whatever new release has become MVP that I've missed. I only pay $15 a month, get to take out 3 at a time, and can do this unlimited per month. The HV is right by my house and I can even walk there. I've gone and watched all 3 in one day before (lazy weekend) and then gone back before closing and taken another 3. I've averaged how much it costs me per title and it's something like .30-.50 a month. It's fantastic. HV still has this program going, but they won't tell you. You have to specifically ask for it. It's basically the closest thing to Netflix with a B&M.

I love renting movies from Redbox, since the grocery store where the machine is at is so close to my home, and a $1 a night rentals is a steal in these financially tough times, and with promo codes it's even better! ;)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I've used them a couple of times. I found them just to be alright. This was before I had known they had promo codes. That just sweetens the deal. Still, I get to see plenty of films in theatres so I don't have too many new releases that I've missed. Also, I a member of Hollywood Video MVP program. Basically I wait 2-3 weeks and then whatever new release has become MVP that I've missed. I only pay $15 a month, get to take out 3 at a time, and can do this unlimited per month. The HV is right by my house and I can even walk there. I've gone and watched all 3 in one day before (lazy weekend) and then gone back before closing and taken another 3. I've averaged how much it costs me per title and it's something like .30-.50 a month. It's fantastic. HV still has this program going, but they won't tell you. You have to specifically ask for it. It's basically the closest thing to Netflix with a B&M.[/QUOTE]

I got grandfathered in at Blockbuster Online.

For $19.99 a month, I get unlimited rentals, unlimited exchances instore and two free game rentals a month.

It's awesome. Take the 3 movies from Blockbuster Online to Blockbuster, get 3 movies out from instore and in 1-2 (3 if I pick an HD-DVD) days I get three more movies from the site. Wash, rinse, repeat :cool: Add in the two free game rental (which alone cost $7 each), it's the deal of the century.

[quote name='Sporadic']I got grandfathered in at Blockbuster Online.

For $19.99 a month, I get unlimited rentals, unlimited exchances instore and two free game rentals a month.

It's awesome. Take the 3 movies from Blockbuster Online to Blockbuster, get 3 movies out from instore and in 1-2 (3 if I pick an HD-DVD) days I get three more movies from the site. Wash, rinse, repeat :cool: Add in the two free game rental (which alone cost $7 each), it's the deal of the century.[/quote]

Nice...I supplement my game rental with the free game rentals I have. About 1-2 a month depending on month.

I never came into contact with any of these machines before, but it appears there are a few in my area. I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks!

Just one question: why do companies still use MapQuest to show their locations? What a PITA.

ive always wanted to try it out i see these things everywhere, but answer me this are the movies widescreen or full? ive always hesitated because i dont see that listed anywhere.

[quote name='dank']ive always wanted to try it out i see these things everywhere, but answer me this are the movies widescreen or full? ive always hesitated because i dont see that listed anywhere.[/QUOTE]

They are almost always wide screen. I got a copy of Die Hard that was full screen and it's the only one out of dozens so I think that was some sort of weird fluke.

Been using them for a few months. Very pleased.

The local video store went belly up last year, so redbox is the only rental source in our small town.
Nice value / location.

Box was only out of order once when it was 40 below this winter.

[quote name='csidegamer']Been using them for a few months. Very pleased.

The local video store went belly up last year, so redbox is the only rental source in our small town.
Nice value / location.

Box was only out of order once when it was 40 below this winter.[/quote]

i just looked up elburn on google maps, damn u werent kidding.

[quote name='wubb']They are almost always wide screen. I got a copy of Die Hard that was full screen and it's the only one out of dozens so I think that was some sort of weird fluke.[/quote]

thats it. im gonna do it next time. especially wtih that promo code website someone posted(thanks) i think im gonna end up goin crazy on those kiosks. and by crazy i mean renting dvds all the time.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']So can these codes on that site only be used on Mondays?[/quote]The codes work any day. Monday was the last day they were tested.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']The codes work any day. Monday was the last day they were tested.[/quote]

Wow! Nice! I'll be getting Dewey Cox then today with one code, and er....wait for something I haven't seen or bought to come out then.:lol:

We discovered Redbox about 2 months ago, and we love it. My only gripe is I wish they had more movies. We've been through all of them worth renting, and they only have a few new ones each Tuesday so if it's not something you want to see you have to wait.

Also, there are 2 different types of codes FYI. The main ones posted on InsideRedBox Codes you can use anytime as long as they work in your area, but you can also sign up for an account on the official Redbox site and they'll text you a code every Monday for a month that only works that Monday until midnight, and it's good for a free evening's rental. Those are posted on the front page of InsideRedbox.

Quick question about the redbox, if I go rent a movie now, do I get 24 hours on it...so say now it's 1, i would have to return it by tomorrow at 1 or is it just till midnight of that day?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Support your local video store. fuck Redbox, and fuck McDonalds.[/QUOTE]

RedBox is the ONLY local rental source in 100 Square miles of my house.
(The local store closed at least a year before the redbox showed up)

I had not know they were owned by McD's.

Hate to say it but they did it right.
I will not drive 10 miles, and pay $5 to rent from blockbuster.
Might as well buy the dvd then.

[quote name='csidegamer']RedBox is the ONLY local rental source in 100 Square miles of my house.
(The local store closed at least a year before the redbox showed up)

I had not know they were owned by McD's.

Hate to say it but they did it right.
I will not drive 10 miles, and pay $5 to rent from blockbuster.
Might as well buy the dvd then.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='keithp']We discovered Redbox about 2 months ago, and we love it. My only gripe is I wish they had more movies. We've been through all of them worth renting, and they only have a few new ones each Tuesday so if it's not something you want to see you have to wait.
[/QUOTE]

Have you tried ordering them from the website?
They will be delivered to the redbox of your choice.

I haven't used it yet, I'm just curious.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Support your local video store. fuck Redbox, and fuck McDonalds.[/quote]

Umm...some people have no other rental system....also, this originally comes from Israel. There, due to the lack of space and such, they have a video vending machine on nearly every corner (but it's licensed to Blockbuster, then what?)

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Support your local video store. fuck Redbox, and fuck McDonalds.[/quote]My "local video stores" are hollywood and blockbuster, how are they different from McDonalds or any other corporation?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Support your local video store. fuck Redbox, and fuck McDonalds.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this to a point, but my locally owned and run rental store, which had an awesome selection of indie films, new releases, and classics, now is out of business. Redbox is my new DVD store for new releases. I might look into a cheap Netflix plan to get my fix for indie and classic movies.

I just do Netflix. Easier to just grab it out of the mailbox and throw it back in the mail box rather than having to stop off at the grocery story etc. to use the Redbox machine.

a lot of people mention Blockbuster Online or Netflix.. well my problems with both of those services (and I have used both) is that I NEVER get my money's worth because I either get throtled back or they slowly start jacking up the prices.. with redbox I get no strings attached free renting.. and since we have 3 locations within 5 miles of my house (wal mart, grocery store, and mcdonalds) it really is no big deal to return the movies..

my only real problem is unless you are there at 10 AM on tuesdays you won't get the new new releases.. however with more and more locations i've noticed this problem much less . . with the free promos you can't really go wrong..

[quote name='urzishra14']a lot of people mention Blockbuster Online or Netflix.. well my problems with both of those services (and I have used both) is that I NEVER get my money's worth because I either get throtled back or they slowly start jacking up the prices.. with redbox I get no strings attached free renting.. and since we have 3 locations within 5 miles of my house (wal mart, grocery store, and mcdonalds) it really is no big deal to return the movies..

my only real problem is unless you are there at 10 AM on tuesdays you won't get the new new releases.. however with more and more locations i've noticed this problem much less . . with the free promos you can't really go wrong..[/QUOTE]

Yea. My Redbox is located right by my work.

My local Movie place charges 4.50 for 7 days. I don't need 7 days to watch a flick. I usually watch it right away since the reason I rent a movie is because im bored at that moment. Redbox saves me some monies. :D

Yeah, I'm a light user, so I don't have to worry about getting throttled. I just do the $8.99 one out at a time plan and often I'm lucky to get through a movie a week lately. Usually I do about 2 a week.

But I'm fine for the price and convenience. There are Redbox's around me in several spots within 5 miles, I'm just so busy currently that I seldom have time to stop anywhere--it's just off to work and then home to eat dinner and do more work.

And even when I'm less busy I hate running erands--I generally try to do them all on Sundays so the extra trips to Giant or whatever to return a movie would annoy me.

I see the appeal, but since I have no issues with Netflix, I'm fine just getting my rentals in the mail.

well i'll be honest.. the reason i get my movies throttled back when i'm with netflix or bb online is that I usually have a quick turnaround due to putting them onto devices to watch later or at work.. i don't want to hear the morality arguement.. but that is why.. still it shouldn't tote something as "unlimited" if they don't want it to be "unlimited"... that was all i was saying..

redbox is quick fast and discreet and im only throttled back when I'm out of codes to use.. or out of cc to use.

bread's done
Back