- - - - -

The New New Urban Dead Cheap Ass Survivor Thread

#61 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

I usually avoid MUDs/MMOs, but my insatiable obsession with zombies (mmm, social commentaries AND post apocalyptic scenarios) has piqued my interest in this game. I have a few questions before I commit though:

How much and how often do you have to play?
What happens when you aren't logged on?
Is the game heavily stacked toward veterans like most MMOs? (i.e. how bad does the rape hurt when you are a newb?)
Is the UI archaic and text based or nice and easy on the eyes?

I think that's all I got actually.

Answers from my perspective:

This is the only MMO that I play as I can't get into the idea of the timesuck that is most of them. I too was attracted by the subject matter and the low level of commitment needed to play. I only started in February so I'll answer as best I can.

This game allows only 50 action points per day regenerated at a rate of 1ap per half hour. An action can be anything your chacter does; (loading a gun, swinging an axe, opening a door, moving 1 block, etc.) With this system, a player can lierally burn through 50ap in 10 min. or stretch it out over a short time.

Every character in the game is human controlled and when you aren't logged in the world still exists around you. Your character can be attacked, healed, and killed in your absence. The exception is if you are inactive for a time (3 days I believe) in which case your character goes into "hiding".

Although it helps to have the skills that come with higher levels, starting isn't that bad especially with help from a group. The first few levels are tough as a zombie or a survivor though currently staring as a zombie might be a bit easier. Once you get your first few levels though, the game moves quickly.

As to the graphical interface, it is about as basic as you can get. If you're looking for pretty pictures, this is not the game for you. There are extensions that help out with this but I'm not the one to ask about 'em. (option.iv would be a better choice)

Really this game boils down to a social activivty where the meta-gaming aspect plays a role as big or small as you want. Our little group has started to find itself as of late and would be moree then happy to help you start out. Some groups are more active then others outside of the game, we probably fall in the middle.

Your best bet for more specifics on/about the game is the wiki:
http://wiki.urbandea...x.php/Main_Page

As a new user I would also check out these two pages:
http://wiki.urbandea...t_Day_in_Malton
http://wiki.urbandea...e_to_Urban_Dead

If you do decide to join us, put the CAS as your group affiliation and add yourself to our wiki:
http://wiki.urbandea...p_Ass_Survivors

That's quite a bit and that's all I got, hope it helps!

J.Jake: I'll try to check in tonight if I can help blow your head off!:lol:

#62 insertcleverthing   leans towards solipsism CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

insertcleverthing

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the response. It sounds pretty groovy. I think I'll sign up tonight and see if I can get in contact with the CAS resistance. Then I'll proceed to die like an idiot for a few hours until I get the hang of it. Should be great!

One more question though regarding the AP thing. What happens in fights? Do people save AP and then just blow thru them as fast as possible to get a kill quickly or does each AP expense take some time to register (i.e. somewhat turn based)?

I'm reading the wikis now, so I might answer my own question...

#63 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

In fights one generally does as much damge as one can in the shortest amount of time, especially as a zombie. So yeah, you can blow through your ap in a matter of minutes when it hits the fan and it would not be considered turn-based.

#64 ArthurDigbySellers   Not exactly a lightweight CAGiversary!   3418 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

ArthurDigbySellers

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Wow, thanks for the response. It sounds pretty groovy. I think I'll sign up tonight and see if I can get in contact with the CAS resistance. Then I'll proceed to die like an idiot for a few hours until I get the hang of it. Should be great!

One more question though regarding the AP thing. What happens in fights? Do people save AP and then just blow thru them as fast as possible to get a kill quickly or does each AP expense take some time to register (i.e. somewhat turn based)?

I'm reading the wikis now, so I might answer my own question...

If you are going to be successful in killing anything in UD, it is going to take quite a bit of AP to do it. You can blow through it as fast as you want. The only limiting factor is how fast the server refreshes and if you are using a weapon that needs to be reloaded or not.

#65 fatherofcaitlyn   Der Uber Hoarder CAGiversary!   7155 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

fatherofcaitlyn

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

I moved away from CS looking for places to repair and barricade. All the buildings are barricaded. Most have power. All of the resource buildings have power. For suburbs being in the red, I was expecting a lot more ruined buildings.

#66 insertcleverthing   leans towards solipsism CAGiversary!   306 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

insertcleverthing

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:56 PM

Alright I'm in. My tag is Dr Simon Clever (guess what class I am?). I'm adding myself to the wiki now. Can someone PM the IRC crap and get me movin' toward our cheapass resistance?

#67 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

Forwarded the info to you.

#68 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

I moved away from CS looking for places to repair and barricade. All the buildings are barricaded. Most have power. All of the resource buildings have power. For suburbs being in the red, I was expecting a lot more ruined buildings.

Remember that the danger levels should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Some players will try to gain an advantage from the information they give or they just like to be jerks.

insertclever:
Glad to have you with us, make sure to add CAS members to your contact list.
Most like to use a specific color for team members, another for enemies, etc.
Never sleep outside and try to get the freerunning skill ASAP, it will help a lot.

JJ:
Should I shoot you now then, and do we have to make an announcement in game?
I'd hate for all the other survivors in here to flip out and call me a PKer!
Anybody else want to plug a few rounds into Jake or revive him? Free xp!

#69 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

Thar be spies among us....

• k1ll3r221 died from an infection. (1 hour and 3 minutes ago)
  • Biff Manslab killed a zombie. (56 minutes ago)
  • Richard Rose said "hey teachbug, some zed spy came in with an infection, we killed him though, care to exchange enemy contacts?" (27 minutes ago)
  • 26.84 MHz: "6 zeds outside of St. Soter's, come get some target practice" (19 minutes ago)

#70 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

Remember that the danger levels should always be taken with a grain of salt.
Some players will try to gain an advantage from the information they give or they just like to be jerks.

insertclever:
Glad to have you with us, make sure to add CAS members to your contact list.
Most like to use a specific color for team members, another for enemies, etc.
Never sleep outside and try to get the freerunning skill ASAP, it will help a lot.

JJ:
Should I shoot you now then, and do we have to make an announcement in game?
I'd hate for all the other survivors in here to flip out and call me a PKer!
Anybody else want to plug a few rounds into Jake or revive him? Free xp!

If you're gonna shoot me (thats fine) make sure you announce you're killing me for PKing, then take the bounty so they'll clear me.

Let me know before you revive me though, i want some zeds skills.

#71 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:01 AM

How do I take a bounty? I've killed four other PKers and never took one before. Should we step outside then?;)

#72 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:04 AM

I don't know exactly, you go to the rouge's gallery i think and post that you got me or something. Just make sure that you take a screenshot when you kill me, this is pointless without one.

I'm outside garlick square FD.

#73 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Gotcha', I'll go grab the I-Witness bookmark thing to test out screenshots.

EDIT: I guess I'm a complete tool cause' I can't get this to work at all.
Anybody used this I-Witness function with any success?

#74 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:26 AM

It's my understanding that they will not accept i-witness shots. Has to be a normal prtnscn screenshot.

#75 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:37 AM

Oh, well then that was just a massive waste of time.

#76 option.iv   phantom fighter CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:39 AM

Oh, didn't know that. But what's the use. It's probably more likely that they'd alter the screenshot instead of the iwitness deal.

edit: wait a minute, there are iwitness links on Brainstock pk reports threads. It should work. Brainstock is where you're reporting it, right?

#77 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

You can kill me, hit prtscn, and then turn in that screenshot. There are a couple of zeds around, i don't want them getting me first.

#78 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:41 AM

Oh, didn't know that. But what's the use. It's probably more likely that they'd alter the screenshot instead of the iwitness deal.

edit: wait a minute, there are iwitness links on Brainstock pk reports threads. It should work.

This is coming from what crotch said a few nights ago in the chat, he said they wouldn't accept the i-witness shots for some reason.

#79 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:43 AM

Alright, on my way with shotgun shells to spare. With option.iv on hand, I'll figure it out yet.

EDIT: (Never done a Printscreen screenshot in my life).
Yes, apparently I am that much of a techno-neophyte!

#80 option.iv   phantom fighter CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

My bad, you're right JJ and chuckie, they don't accept iwitness at this time.

#81 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:49 AM

• GoodTimeCharlie said "Hey Dick, take a picture of this will ya'? I'm a tool and don't know how." (2 minutes ago)
:lol:

#82 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:50 AM

Hey option, could you step outside the Fire station and snap a pic of this.

That way if I screw it up, we've got a backup.

#83 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

Hurry up, theres another zed standing with me.

#84 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

Ahahaha, some random person healed me.

#85 option.iv   phantom fighter CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

Sorry no can do, gotta reserve ap.

#86 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

Ok, you got me. Now i need a revive.

#87 option.iv   phantom fighter CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

You guys able to get the screenshot?

#88 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:02 AM

I can't, wouldn't look the same. Has to be from the person who killed me.

#89 chuckie88   Molder of Minds CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:02 AM

Thanks to you option I got it in MS paint. You want the revive right away Jake, did you get your skills?

Took a minute to kill you 'cause that survivor came out and healed you up, plus I had to blast the zed for good measure.

#90 JolietJake   Banned Banned   20202 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

JolietJake

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:04 AM

Yeah i gots mah skillz, ready to come back to the living.