Why is "NOES 4: The Dream Master" so bad?

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, I really love the Friday the 13th series and the Nightmare on Elm Street series and recently watched them all again. Most of the Friday the 13th movies don't hold up very well, but the Nightmare films actually hold up exceptionally well.

The first one is a classic and stands very well on it's own (because it was supposed to be a single film, not a series) and the second is pretty good; just going back to that damn house is freaky in itself. The 3rd film starts off just okay but kicks in to high gear once Nancy shows up and even has a good, cohesive story.

Then there is the 4th film, "The Dream Master." Well, it sucks. Renny Harlin directed it so it has potential, I guess. Looking at his directing history doesn't bode well, actually, as they are all flash-in-the-pan big show (but no substance) films filled with ideas that never come to fruition. Then there is the script... or lack thereof. Did they write the film while they were filming? This also seems to be the film where Freddy crosses from being very dark with a warped sense of humor, to being less sinister and too comedic. Really, the film is bad. Not even a good cheesy kind of bad that can still be enjoyed at some points, just legitimately bad.

Thankfully, the 5th film recovers a little despite still having a character in it from that horrible 4th film. And the 6th film, "Freddy's Dead" has a cool idea and some good moments, but maybe it's not that good and we're just all desensitized to good Freddy films because of that horrid 4th film. "New Nightmare" was a good close to the series as well as a fresh take on the concept of Freddy. It was also great to see Wes Craven return to the helm.

So, my question to all you CAG horror film fanatics (especially those that grew up in the 80's with those films) is... Why did "Dream Master" suck so bad?

*I realize some of you don't care for the NOES series. But I see a lot of posts by CAGs referencing modern horror films so I'm sure there are some NOES fans out there somewhere. This post is really intended for you "closet NOES fans" as I know you are out there!

[quote name='crystalklear64']I love horror movies, but have honestly never seen any of these.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you plan to watch the sequels, I've already spoiled some of them for you, lol. However, I think if you really like horror films that you should at least rent the first one. It really helped expand the genre and it didn't stick to some of the rules that most horror films had when it was initially released.

I think dream master felt bad because it felt like you were watching part 3 again. plus they changed the girl from part 3(she is the lead in medium her name escapes me right now) but other than that, i think 3 and 4 are similar. I can't stand part 5, it felt so thrown together.

God, I haven't seen the films since I was a kid. I used to have sleepovers with my cousin and we'd always rent horror movies. Never really scared us, but we always found them fun to watch.

I'm surprised to see someone liked part 2. That was awful. Third one was fun. From there it kind of fell off for me until the 6th one...which still wasn't amazing but was serviceable.

That said, New Nightmare was the best one after the original. Great, original concept that was at least fairly well executed. Freddy vs. Jason was fanservice/nostalgia utopia, so that one ranks highly too.

[quote name='Will']I wish they would get off their ass and give us a prequel like they did with Halloween.[/QUOTE]

Platnum Dunes is working on a remake due out in a couple of years.

I've seen every movie in that series and was a horror movie fanatic in my teens, but I couldn't remember the plot of this one at all and had to look it up on wikipedia.

I remember the plot of pretty much every F13 movie in the series (not that there is much of a plot in any of them), but I can't really remember much about the NOES series after 3.

bread's done
Back