* * * * * 1 votes

XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

#1051 DM1978   CAG since July 2005 CAGiversary!   1784 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:49 PM

Just got the RROD an hour ago on my Dec. 2006 Hitachi drive version. I have already sent it in once a year ago for a bad "scaler chip", Error 80 I believe. I hadn't played it in a few days days and it died 4 kills into a online game of Bad Company.

Hopefully MS will replace the unit for another with a better disc drive as I've been getting some scratched up discs lately:(

Well it's already on the way back. It's the same system.

I requested a repair on Saturday the 6th, got the label/box on Tuesday the 9th, and I dropped the 360 off at the UPS store Wednesday at 2:30pm EST, it arrived at the service center Friday at 4:44pm EST.

The shipping notification was electronically filed on Sunday the 14th. It didn't move yesterday, and it just updated as in transit today at 2:20pm EST.

Estimated arrival is Thursday the 18th

"By Grabthar's Hammer, what a saving." - Sir Alexander Dane(Galaxy Quest)

ccccccccc[]================>

(Formally named _Retail Sucks_.)

#1052 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:39 AM

So it finally died :cry:, RRoD little over a year since it was purchased. Only prior warning was freezing during gameplay for the past few days. Gonna go through the steps for replacement, so thanks for all the info, ITDEFX.

Update: So I called the number not associated with outsourcing, and was informed about their new "advanced exchange program." Basically, they're going to send me an xbox and I will send mine back in the same box. Credit card info required, and it will cost $400 if not sent back within 14 days.

Hmmm...

now are you getting a brand new 360 or just a repaired/refurbed unit?

400 sounds like an Elite with a 120 gig hard drive. So wait, you send them a Red Ringed non-hdmi model with a 20 gig hard drive, give them your CC number for insurance purposes and they send you a brand new spank'n Elite with a 120 gig hard drive??!?!

Anyone want to confirm this?

#1053 von551   Place Is Dead Anyways... CAGiversary!   581 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:05 AM

So it finally died :cry:, RRoD little over a year since it was purchased. Only prior warning was freezing during gameplay for the past few days. Gonna go through the steps for replacement, so thanks for all the info, ITDEFX.

Update: So I called the number not associated with outsourcing, and was informed about their new "advanced exchange program." Basically, they're going to send me an xbox and I will send mine back in the same box. Credit card info required, and it will cost $400 if not sent back within 14 days.

what number did you call?
Posted Image

#1054 von551   Place Is Dead Anyways... CAGiversary!   581 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:35 AM

mine just died for the second time in 22 months and it died in october last time, weather change to blame? anyways, sending me a label by email and I'll box it off to xbox repair hell and hope for the best.
Posted Image

#1055 DM1978   CAG since July 2005 CAGiversary!   1784 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:14 AM

mine just died for the second time in 22 months and it died in october last time, weather change to blame? anyways, sending me a label by email and I'll box it off to xbox repair hell and hope for the best.

yep, it wanted to fly down south, in this case Texas:bouncy:

"By Grabthar's Hammer, what a saving." - Sir Alexander Dane(Galaxy Quest)

ccccccccc[]================>

(Formally named _Retail Sucks_.)

#1056 rhymetimesfine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

rhymetimesfine

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

now are you getting a brand new 360 or just a repaired/refurbed unit?

Sorry, forgot to ask. All the rep said was a "replacement".

400 sounds like an Elite with a 120 gig hard drive. So wait, you send them a Red Ringed non-hdmi model with a 20 gig hard drive, give them your CC number for insurance purposes and they send you a brand new spank'n Elite with a 120 gig hard drive??!?!

Anyone want to confirm this?

I have the 20 gig hdmi zephyr. The $400 did sound like some corporate garbage, but if the shit hits the fan.... I don't know, that better not happen :headache:

what number did you call?

Followed the steps in the third spoiler tag from the bottom by the OP

#1057 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   9945 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

This program both sounds intriguing and dangerous.

I got updated shipping info... arriving tomorrow! =o
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1058 Mechafenris   Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Mechafenris

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

Oy, mine's not due until Friday. :P Hope this one lasts longer than a day! :)

Funny thing is, I'm oh, 50 miles from the Service center in Mesquite. heheh.. and it still takes 3 days to get here. :P

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1059 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

Shipped mine out on Friday, it got there yesterday, so I'm hoping it gets back next week.

#1060 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13281 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

I just got a call from UPS (automated), letting me know my package would arrive tomorrow, and that somebody would have to sign for it. I was hoping I'd get it today, because it says "Out For Delivery". But then, I am a fair distance from the UPS depo its coming from.

#1061 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13281 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Well, my console just showed up!

The crappy thing is that it's a refurb, even though I was told it would be a new console. Damn thing must've been sitting at their plant for a while, since it needed a dashboard update right off the bat!

Plus, they didn't put my 1-month trial in the box...fucking Microsoft! :bomb:

The console isn't the cleanest, but it does sound much quieter on the dash than my first one ever did.

Pros:
My disc tray opens faster
Download speeds seem faster (may be my imagination)
Haven't had any lockups on the dash (yet)
A bit quieter
Private chatting is much clearer (no static!)

Don't know if I have any Cons with this one yet. Seems like it's just better built (or rebuilt).

Edited by Rig, 18 September 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#1062 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11666 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

Well, my console arrived today also, but no one was home to sign for it. The bad thing is, they did NOT leave a note on my door saying it was attempted to be delivered. I don't even know who to call now if I want to pick it up. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow...the wife "should" be home.

#1063 pogipinoy27   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1021 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

pogipinoy27

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Mine's been stuck at "billing information received" for 3 days :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

"The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul. "
-Johannes Sebastian Bach

#1064 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

The console isn't the cleanest

Oh snap. I hope I don't get someone's dirty ass used console. :cry:
OCD FTL

#1065 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13281 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Oh snap. I hope I don't get someone's dirty ass used console. :cry:
OCD FTL

It wasn't really that bad. Just a few scuffs on top. A hand-towel cleaned them off.

Thankfully, it had no smoke/other smells. I would've been mad.

#1066 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:59 PM

Was yours white, or black?

#1067 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13281 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Was yours white, or black?

White. My first console was a couple years old, and I think the manufactured date on this one was also 2006.

#1068 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11666 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

I hope I get my nice ELITE console tomorrow. I am annoyed they did NOT leave me an InfoNotice on my door. Just the tracking online says Missed 1st attempt, will try for a 2nd attempt. Lame. I just read online that delivery changes have to be made before 7:00pm, so I will just have to hope they ship it tomorrow and someone is home.

I bet they forget to leave an InfoNotice because I also had something from BUY.com ship on the same day (which they left at the door).

#1069 Chase   $ CAGiversary!   7632 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

My 360 returned to me today. It took about two weeks to complete the trip. I guess the tracker was only for the delivery to Mesquite. :-k And just a note, they did not send back my original console.

#1070 Droogs   $$$$$$$$$ CAGiversary!   1748 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

Grrrr...My console just gave me the three red lights. I'm on my third one and this is the first time the newest one has given them to me. I'm expecting to have to call 4myxbox very soon.

#1071 rhymetimesfine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

rhymetimesfine

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Got my "replacement" today. I was told by a rep that it was definitely a refurbished "updated" 360. The catch is, besides the possible $400 hold, I can't get on Live until they receive my dead 360. Ironically, that's petty.

Posted Image

#1072 Mechafenris   Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart CAGiversary!   599 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Mechafenris

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

Got my Elite back today (round #3 begins..) But this one is a 4/2008 build date. Much nicer than the 6/07 one I got that lasted a day. :)

...hope this works a bit longer. :)

"Don't make me use my stuff on ya, baby."

#1073 Gnomes and Pie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   98 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Gnomes and Pie

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

UPS says that my package arrived at the repair center yesterday. Microsoft's website still says "Waiting for device at service center". Is this normal or should I call Microsoft?

Probably has already been asked before, so sorry in advance.

#1074 David Hibiki   Well then... CAGiversary!   9254 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

Yeah that exchange program seems lame. I rather just buy a Arcade at Wal-Mart and return it in 90 days with receipt once I get my old console back, which BTW is NOT fraud considering I would be giving them the same console back.

It's just that simple.

#1075 ITDEFX   My foot itches..must be athlete's foot CAGiversary!   17095 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

FAQ finally updated people. Sorry it's been one crazy summer for me :|

#1076 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11666 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

I got my ELITE back yesterday also. It was a FALCON Elite (said right on the outer box). MFG Date was 04/2008 (same as the poster above).

Seems to be working fine. Might be a bit quieter, but I'm not sure about that.

#1077 Friend of Sonic   Toneman.org coming soon.. CAGiversary!   9945 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Friend of Sonic

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

I got my original console back. I guess they repaired it. Now just to sell it on Craigslist since I got the Halo 360 from Hot Topic...
EDIT: I got the refurb sticker, underneath the faceplate area on my 360 that was repaired. Unless, they put your old serial number on the refurbs they give you? I doubt this is the case though.

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 20 September 2008 - 12:59 PM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1078 lmz00   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2522 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

Mine just shipped out today, after arriving there on the 18th. It's got a different serial number, so I gather it's not my old console. :(

#1079 rhymetimesfine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   66 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

rhymetimesfine

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

Build date on my replacement was 4/2008 also. I guess by 'updated' they meant falcon.

#1080 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13281 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

I got my original console back. I guess they repaired it. Now just to sell it on Craigslist since I got the Halo 360 from Hot Topic...
EDIT: I got the refurb sticker, underneath the faceplate area on my 360 that was repaired. Unless, they put your old serial number on the refurbs they give you? I doubt this is the case though.

Now I'm not sure about my console.

When I got it back, I checked for the refurb sticker, which is had. Then, I had to do a console update when I first put it on Live. (They drop you down to an older dashboard version?) So, I figured it wasn't my original console.

I checked the serial number, and it is the same as my first console. So, this may in fact be the console I sent to them. If it is, it's a little disappointing that it would come back a bit dirty, since it didn't leave that way. And why would I have needed to update the dash? They only had it at their center for a day or two, so I am surprised at the turnaround.